Jamal23
Junior
And1: 18

POR/NO/PHI 

Post#1 » by Jamal23 » Sun Jun 7, 2020 7:53 pm

POR receives : Matisse Thybulle & Josh Hart

76ers receives : Jrue Holiday & Arzia

NO receives : Anfernee Simons, Al Horford & Kyle O'Quinnn

Why POR: They need a 3 D Wing Thybulle & Hart good defenders and can play off ball. Thybulle is also from the area and still getting better.

WHY 76ers: Need a guard that can get their own shoot and can defend plus Ariza is 3 d wing also!

Why NO: Need A big man to stretch the floor and Simons fits young culture talent shot creator. He also fits with Ball and coach gentry system.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,379

Re: POR/NO/PHI 

Post#2 » by JRoy » Mon Jun 8, 2020 3:04 am

Too good for POR and PHI.

NO is not taking on AH contract for that.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
PDX MM
Veteran
And1: 959

Post#3 » by PDX MM » Wed Jun 10, 2020 4:38 am

I like the idea and probably would be willing to include our 1st (top 10 protected or something like that) to help get it done.
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#4 » by ebott » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:11 pm

JRoy wrote:Too good for POR and PHI.

NO is not taking on AH contract for that.

I concur, even if philly offered AH for Holiday straight up I don't think NO would be interested.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#5 » by Village Idiot » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:19 pm

While I'd love to get Thybulle I think Ntilikina is a much more attainable player. While he isn't quite at Thybulle's level defensively he's much better offensively. Frank has been miscast as a PG in New York but I'd love to kick the tires and see what he could do off ball more.
"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,877

Post#6 » by BlazersBroncos » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:16 pm

Frank has been miscast as a PG in New York but I'd love to kick the tires and see what he could do off ball more.

IDK, I assume by off the ball more you mean cutting to the rim and shooting open 3's? Because he is a .31 career 3PT shooter and averages less than 1 FT per game. At this point I wouldn't bet money on him becoming even a Thabo caliber role playing SG. And at 6.2M in 2020/21, he is tremendously overpaid.

I would rather sent an offer sheet to Melton or even Dort than use any sort of asset to take on Frank. Both have better advanced defensive stats and wouldn't cost assets.
JRoy
RealGM
And1: 10,379

Post#7 » by JRoy » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:41 pm

Village Idiot wrote:While I'd love to get Thybulle I think Ntilikina is a much more attainable player. While he isn't quite at Thybulle's level defensively he's much better offensively. Frank has been miscast as a PG in New York but I'd love to kick the tires and see what he could do off ball more.

I could go for that, our backcourt is pretty bad on d even with better focus and effort. We need a solid guard with size and defensive chops.
Edrees wrote:
JRoy wrote:Monta Ellis have it all

I was hoping and expecting this to be one of the first replies. You did not disappoint. Jroy have it all.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#8 » by d-train » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:46 am

You never trade good offense for good defense. So, trading one of our great guards for a player that defends better is a non-starter. One way to improve perimeter defense would be to fill one of our forward spots with a player that can defend the ball. This is what we have done in the past. However, now we have Melo, a high level offensive player at the 3. So, we are confronted with a choice of good offense or good defense (Ariza) at the 3. I think we start with Ariza and finish with whatever is our need. We finish with Melo if Lillard/CJ/Nurk need help on offense or Ariza if our need is better defense. Or, we could play Melo at 4 in the 4th quarter in a smaller lineup.

I would trade Ariza for Thybulle, but I wouldn't include Simons in the trade. I don't care if Hart is included in the deal. I would be willing to take Hart in the trade, but wouldn't give up any of our players for him.
Village Idiot
General Manager
And1: 2,001

Post#9 » by Village Idiot » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:19 am

BlazersBroncos wrote:
Frank has been miscast as a PG in New York but I'd love to kick the tires and see what he could do off ball more.

IDK, I assume by off the ball more you mean cutting to the rim and shooting open 3's? Because he is a .31 career 3PT shooter and averages less than 1 FT per game. At this point I wouldn't bet money on him becoming even a Thabo caliber role playing SG. And at 6.2M in 2020/21, he is tremendously overpaid.

I would rather sent an offer sheet to Melton or even Dort than use any sort of asset to take on Frank. Both have better advanced defensive stats and wouldn't cost assets.
This is exactly the kind of situation where stats are of little value. If a player has been playing point guard on a bad team with bad teammates and poor coaching you seldom see much measurable statistical success.

This article does a nice job of supporting my reasoning:
most Knicks fans, obviously myself included, agree that Frank’s style of play won’t stand out on a crappy team. In fact, it’s basically the complete opposite—the common school of thought is that Frank’s intangibles, defense, and basketball I.Q. would be better accentuated on a competitive team. In other words, Frank isn’t going to intentionally stuff the stat sheet with empty numbers on a bad team in lieu of playing a winning style of basketball (something you can certainly say about plenty of other Knicks, past and present). Instead, he’s going to continue to do all the little things like diving for loose balls, switching onto a big in the post for a possession, and making an entry pass into the post to initiate an offensive possession. None of those sheets show up on the stat sheet, but they’re just as important as making an open shot or converting a highlight dunk.

FYI Sefolosha was 22 when he came to the NBA, Frank is still 21 but now has three years of experience. Ntilikina has clearly has a much better handle than Sefolosha.

also, recall that Ntilikina had a major role on the French team that upset the US and won bronze at the World Championship last year. He even made the all-tournament team. It's this kind of limited role on good team which I feel shows his potential for the Trailblazers.

"There are no right answers to wrong questions." - Ursula K. Le Guin
ebott
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#10 » by ebott » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:15 am

d-train wrote:You never trade good offense for good defense. So, trading one of our great guards for a player that defends better is a non-starter.

I feel like you used the wrong word there.
Green Apple wrote:Portland fans are and have been some of the great citizens of basketball, they are a sea of basketball knowledge and passion.
Jamal23
Junior
And1: 18

Post#11 » by Jamal23 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:51 pm

POR Receives: Ben Simmons, Nicolò Melli & Mike Scott
NO Receives: Zach Collins, Al Horford & Zhaire Smith
PHI Receives: CJ McCollum & Jrue Holiday

WHY POR: The Blazers could focus on another round of marginal upgrades knowing they're only one injury-riddled season removed from a trip to the Western Conference Finals. But with Damian Lillard's 30th birthday fast approaching, this might finally be time to examine a dramatic shakeup.Damian Lillard and CJ McCollum took the Portland Trail Blazers to the conference finals, their deepest playoff run together. This season, they enter the bubble outside the playoff picture. Injuries have depleted the roster, but whether they even have the potential to be a title-contending duo is up for debate.Simmons could be a bigger version of Draymond Green to Lillard's Stephen Curry.Put Simmons alongside Lillard, and you could have the NBA's next great pick-and-roll combo. They'd hold nightly fireworks shows on fast-break chances, and Simmons might be the Swiss army knife needed to fix Portland's 27th-ranked defense.

WHY NO:Life in the Big Easy is all about making Zion Williamson as comfortable as possible. While Derrick Favors made for a fine first-year frontcourt partner, his injury issues and limited offensive range highlight the opportunity to upgrade. Collins would be ideal. His three-ball is sharp enough to keep Williamson's launching pad open around the basket, and Collins rim protection would allow Williamson to roam defensively. Zach Collins Gives the pelicans the type of center they need.

WHY PHI:Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons are posting their worst two-man net rating. In fact, during their three years together, that number has dropped from plus-16.2 in 2017-18 to plus-9.5 in 2018-19 to plus-2.0 this season. If McCollum is your point guard, defenses won’t be able to sag when the ball goes inside to Embiid. The big man’s ceiling will most likely be reached when he’s surrounded by shooters, and McCollum is more than that. He’s averaged at least 20 points in each of the last five seasons. McCollum gives Philly more perimeter scoring, which would make it more difficult for defenses to key on Embiid's post-ups. They need more shooting and creativity in the backcourt, and Holiday, who made his only All-Star appearance as a pre-Process Sixer, checks both boxes. He also holds his own (and then some) on defense, which makes him an ideal target if Philly can afford him.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#12 » by d-train » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:12 am

Jamal23 wrote:POR Receives: Ben Simmons, Nicolò Melli & Mike Scott
NO Receives: Zach Collins, Al Horford & Zhaire Smith
PHI Receives: CJ McCollum & Jrue Holiday

Blazers don't make this trade because we are better by keeping CJ and Collins.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers