Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Crymson
Rookie
And1: 450

Re: Svi Mykhailiuk 

Post#21 » by Crymson » Mon Jul 6, 2020 5:52 pm

flow wrote:
Crymson wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:You hope that Weaver would've drafted better than Ellenson -- Brogdon or Siakam, perhaps -- but that was a lousy draft.

Malik Beasley and Caris LeVert were selected immediately after Ellenson. Either of those would have been excellent value on the #18 pick.

I've always wondered who SVG planned on drafting before Ellenson fell to him.

I cannot imagine. The man was absolutely without any competence as a drafter. It did not help that Jeff Bower, the nominal general manager, himself had an extensive history of failure in the draft.

SVG was completely out of touch with the evolution of the NBA, as evidenced by his fundamental failures in coaching, personnel management, and drafting all. And he was almost as bad at developing talent as he was at identifying it. Dinwiddie was his one and only hit in the draft, and, by Dinwiddie's account, SVG neither made any significant effort toward developing him nor paid him much attention at all.

The man was simply unfit for every facet of his job. His tenure was an infuriating series of one mistake after another.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,928

Post#22 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue Jul 7, 2020 1:57 am

Yeah, I forgot about LeVert. After Mateen, I have a blind spot on drafting hometown college heroes. Still, it was a crummy draft, especially if you were looking for someone to make immediate impact. Heck, Beasley was a 3ppg player at the end of his second season. Heck, NBA sleeperstar Maker was top 10.

As a coach, I think SVG is good, apart from screwing up Drummond's development. I think had he built Orlando v2 with Drummond at the center of a 4-1 offense, and tooled appropriately, we'd be at a good place. He could never seem to get that to happen, though, because GM SVG would go on a turd hunt and find what he was looking for. As a GM, getiing nothing for JSmoove and Moose was not an auspicious start, then gambling on injury-prone players is just plain gambling and his results were about what was expected.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#23 » by Billl » Tue Jul 7, 2020 12:50 pm

SVG gets a bad rap for not developing players. When a player goes on to suck under multiple coaches, then it's mostly the player. Fans complained for years that svg was unfair to the budding star of stanley johnson, but it's not like he's exactly tore up the league since getting traded. And really, I'd be shocked if Dre ever "get's it" and starts dominating the paint defensively and playing to his strengths. Fans just seem to overestimate the talent level he actually was working with.

SVG mostly just whiffed on the draft and then overpaid bench guys. Those were the fatal flaws. It left us with no real way to improve and lead him to make a major gamble on blake to try to salvage this mess. He made other mistakes along the way, but those were the ones that really sunk us. If you don't draft well and mismanage the cap, it's impossible to build a winner.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,339

Post#24 » by flow » Tue Jul 7, 2020 1:35 pm

Crymson wrote:
flow wrote:
Crymson wrote:
Malik Beasley and Caris LeVert were selected immediately after Ellenson. Either of those would have been excellent value on the #18 pick.

I've always wondered who SVG planned on drafting before Ellenson fell to him.

I cannot imagine. The man was absolutely without any competence as a drafter. It did not help that Jeff Bower, the nominal general manager, himself had an extensive history of failure in the draft.

SVG was completely out of touch with the evolution of the NBA, as evidenced by his fundamental failures in coaching, personnel management, and drafting all. And he was almost as bad at developing talent as he was at identifying it. Dinwiddie was his one and only hit in the draft, and, by Dinwiddie's account, SVG neither made any significant effort toward developing him nor paid him much attention at all.

The man was simply unfit for every facet of his job. His tenure was an infuriating series of one mistake after another.

You're definitely preaching to the choir. I think everyone here would vouch for that. Lol.

Sadly, despite his poor draft picks, over-pay signing flops, cap-killing Blake acquisition, and worst of all, his horrifically brutal evaluation that led to the catastrophic decision to make Andre Drummond & Reggie Jackson the pillars of the team, SVG's single draft hit in Dinwiddie and decent acquisitions in Baynes, Morris/Bullock, and Tobias rendered him a more successful GM than coach. That's how bad a coach he was.
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 324

Post#25 » by Drwho17 » Tue Jul 7, 2020 4:47 pm

A lot of this is revisionists history, at the time Ellenson looked like a steal, he was projected in most pre-draft analysis as a top 10 player. You can blame SVG for not developing him maybe, but in general I don' t think that matters too much in the NBA, it's up to the player to improve, the whole draft is just like playing the lottery and you can only go on what information you have at the time. I think the only drafts I wasn't happy about with SVG was when he picked Luke Kennard at the time.

Dinwiddie was a second rounder
Stanley Johnson was considered a good get at #8
Henry Ellenson was considered a steal at #18.
Luke Kennard at #12, I wanted Mitchell at that spot.

3 1st round picks, none at the top of the draft, 1 meets their slot (LK), not real unusual in the draft.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#26 » by Billl » Tue Jul 7, 2020 8:32 pm

Eh, we didn't even bring Ellenson in for a workout. Everyone who did decided to pass on him due to his lack of NBA athleticism. He's a bust even by #18 standards.

SJ is a defensible pick. At least he had the chance of being a player. He's a bust though.

Luke - he's not a bust as long as he can get healthy, but we all know we blew that pick.

And that's not counting the pick he traded.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#27 » by MotownMadness » Wed Jul 8, 2020 12:30 am

Crymson wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:You hope that Weaver would've drafted better than Ellenson -- Brogdon or Siakam, perhaps -- but that was a lousy draft.

I actually liked Beasley but was a bit scared off at the time cause he has something different with one of his legs i cant recall now.

Levert i was kinda shocked to see go that high after his injury history. I knew his talent but the Nets traded into the first round to grab him and i didnt think he was gonna even be a 1st rounder.

Guess thats why scouting is so important cause they have the inside info we dont always get.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#28 » by The_Irony » Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:10 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
Crymson wrote:

I actually liked Beasley but was a bit scared off at the time cause he has something different with one of his legs i cant recall now.

Levert i was kinda shocked to see go that high after his injury history. I knew his talent but the Nets traded into the first round to grab him and i didnt think he was gonna even be a 1st rounder.

Guess thats why scouting is so important cause they have the inside info we dont always get.

Pistons could have literally gotten more info on Levert than anybody :lol:

SVG/Jeff Bower was a massive mistake that put this franchise back 5 seasons and thats being generous
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,303

Post#29 » by Moses ShamMoses » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:16 pm

It makes me a little sad that Svi Mykhailiuk has his own thread and is one of the main topics on this forum. Nothing against the guy but he is a mediocre prospect and future role player.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#30 » by Manocad » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:44 pm

Moses ShamMoses wrote:It makes me a little sad that Svi Mykhailiuk has his own thread and is one of the main topics on this forum. Nothing against the guy but he is a mediocre prospect and future role player.

I think it’s a conditioning thing. The Pistons haven’t had a bone fide contender of a team for so many years that people have become conditioned to overvalue any player with a glimmer of a bright spot. Personally I’d like to see what Doumboya and Brown will turn into, and if Kennard can stay healthy (and he’s hanging from a thin rope). The rest of the roster can get changed out and it wouldn’t bother me in the least.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,928

Post#31 » by Uncle Mxy » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:05 pm

Svi's a decent bench player and OMG we're not overpaying him. If he develops into a keeper, keep him. If not, trade up.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,058

Post#32 » by JMAC3 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:37 pm

Svi for Jalen McDaniels?

Hornets could use some more shooting and McDaniels is a young prospect with two more years of team control. I believe your GM would love him for his size and length combo.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#33 » by Piston Pete » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:42 pm

JMAC3 wrote:Svi for Jalen McDaniels?

Hornets could use some more shooting and McDaniels is a young prospect with two more years of team control. I believe your GM would love him for his size and length combo.

Ellington for McDaniels
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,058

Post#34 » by JMAC3 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:58 pm

Piston Pete wrote:

Ellington for McDaniels

We have about 4 Million in cap space.

I would consider McDaniels for Svi

or

McDaniels for Ellington and Okafor.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#35 » by Piston Pete » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:09 pm

JMAC3 wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:

McDaniels for Ellington and Okafor.

Deal!
440BB
Bench Warmer
And1: 811

Post#36 » by 440BB » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:24 pm

I'll keep Svi thanks. He's still inexpensive and continuing to develop his game.

The character issue might be of concern for Weaver when it comes to McDaniel regardless of size. I also wouldn't want to make a bigger logjam at PF when our young talent can't get many minutes already.
"I think Halle Berry is pretty in church and in the grocery store" - Troy Weaver
BJK1
Senior
And1: 333

Post#37 » by BJK1 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:27 pm

Read on Twitter
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#38 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:48 pm

Svi is nice when he’s not chucking up contested 3s like he’s Klay.

Return to Detroit Pistons