KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,336

Re: Warriors name change 

Post#81 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:46 pm

Quazza wrote:The San Fran Crab Chowder's

Pretty sure I put on 5kg eating that while there last year

Offensive to dirty whores with crabs
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,201

Post#82 » by wco81 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:55 pm

Golden State Splash.

Name changes could increase sales of merchandise. If the Washington NFL team does it, they may see a surge of new purchases, except for racists who object to the name change.

Warriors have been one of the top sellers of merchandise so they have a lot of potential customers looking to buy jerseys with the new team name.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,217

Post#83 » by EvanZ » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:55 pm

Little Digger wrote:San Francisco Jellyfishes

Just bring back Seals. Or Sea Lions.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#84 » by clyde21 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:59 pm

yea no if Dubs and Bridge Logo offends people they can kick rocks
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#85 » by The Maestro » Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:59 pm

San Francisco Fog

This is silly though. They’re not changing the name.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#86 » by Little Digger » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:46 pm

California Green Earthers
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
NeoWarriors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,321

Post#87 » by NeoWarriors » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:45 pm

I think we need to expand from Golden State which only represents California and represent the entire world. From this day forward we will be known as the Worldwide Dynasty. Oh you think we're hated now...

Sent from my Golden State Warriors Protoast Elite toaster using RealGM mobile app
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,217

Post#88 » by EvanZ » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:41 am

In case anyone had any doubt about the origin of the nickname:

I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,375

Post#89 » by svart » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:07 am

They moved away from the mascot 50 years ago, moved away from Philadelphia as well. The "Warriors" name per se is not offensive to anybody in his right mind.
These social justice, ahem, warriors are digging up s**t from the depths of time and space and looking to pair them with the existing reality, just to throw it and see if it sticks.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
NeoWarriors
Assistant Coach

Post#90 » by NeoWarriors » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:45 pm

svart wrote:They moved away from the mascot 50 years ago, moved away from Philadelphia as well. The "Warriors" name per se is not offensive to anybody in his right mind.
These social justice, ahem, warriors are digging up s**t from the depths of time and space and looking to pair them with the existing reality, just to throw it and see if it sticks.
This isn't completely true. Even though they moved away from the Indian mascot after leaving Philadelphia the San Francisco Warriors had an Indian headdress as a logo from 1962 to 1969 before the city jerseys arrived. But yes, the Warriors made the move to correct it 50 years ago so it is no longer an issue. Warriors should not have been included on that list.

Sent from my Golden State Warriors Protoast Elite toaster using RealGM mobile app
wco81
RealGM

Post#91 » by wco81 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:54 pm

NeoWarriors wrote:
svart wrote:They moved away from the mascot 50 years ago, moved away from Philadelphia as well. The "Warriors" name per se is not offensive to anybody in his right mind.
This isn't completely true. Even though they moved away from the Indian mascot after leaving Philadelphia the San Francisco Warriors had an Indian headdress as a logo from 1962 to 1969 before the city jerseys arrived. But yes, the Warriors made the move to correct it 50 years ago so it is no longer an issue. Warriors should not have been included on that list.

Only Carmelo included them right? Not the same groups which have been going after other sports teams?
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#92 » by DoItALL9 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:50 pm

Ideas for the change

Redwoods
Brigadiers
Oaks
Golden Trout
Newts
Sequoia

(still dub nation)
Woodchuck
Wombats
Wagoneers
Whippets
Waterfalls
Wildebeests
Weevils

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
NeoWarriors
Assistant Coach

Post#93 » by NeoWarriors » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:02 pm

wco81 wrote:
NeoWarriors wrote:

Only Carmelo included them right? Not the same groups which have been going after other sports teams?
As far as I know it was only Melo. It's just running rampant on the GB. Not anywhere else.

Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#94 » by Phase 3 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:04 pm

San Francisco Financiers.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#95 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:04 pm

Now there is speculation that the Washington Redskins new name may be Warriors. Too funny.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#96 » by ILOVEIT » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:14 pm

Earthquakes :) It fits the region..."we will rock you"

Anyway...I think the right move is to just market Warriors as non Indian warriors.

Just put a fricken rape and pillaging Viking warrior as the mascot. ;)
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Post#97 » by azwfan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:41 pm

Glad to see the Redskins are changing their name. Hopefully the new name will not have anything to do with Native Americans nor any conquered people.

Also props to Pepsi Co, Fed Ex and other corporate sponsors who put the pressure on Snyder. Whether it was just done for good PR or not, the right thing is finally getting done.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
wco81
RealGM

Post#98 » by wco81 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:31 pm

Interesting that the team was originally in Boston before moving to DC.

They were called Braves before changing to the current name.

I wonder why Indian themes were so popular back in the '30s and 40s when a lot of these names were chosen.

Was it because of Western movies? Maybe popular culture then viewed them as fearsome?

Because it's strange that a Boston team would use a Native American slur or theme. Not exactly a part of the country known for Native American history.
Nate the Great
Pro Prospect
And1: 380

Post#99 » by Nate the Great » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:51 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
azwfan wrote:Native here (well half, haha) so I'll take it upon myself to speak for all Natives (until another tells me to stfu).
The Washington football team name is offensive to me.
Indians, Braves, Seminoles, Chiefs, and others aren't as offensive to me, but should be changed.

Once again... Washington Football club - that should've been changed a long time ago. The others should be changed also, but would rather concentrate on the worst offender.

"Warriors" isn't even on my radar as a Native reference.

I think the Seminole tribe endorses the use of the name.

Yes, and their mascot is an homage to the historical Seminole leader Osceola, so while Native Americans aren’t crazy about being mascots, they might let that slide. However, FSU originated that horrible racist tomahawk chant. That is the next thing that should go, in my opinion. Native Americans sing primarily for religious reasons, so when you mock their music, you are effectively mocking their religious beliefs.

Black Lives Matter
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#100 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:06 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:Now there is speculation that the Washington Redskins new name may be Warriors. Too funny.

Not a bad choice.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.

Return to Golden State Warriors