ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#1941 » by Psubs » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:51 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:Not a huge Mays fan (or any of the LSU guys really), would definitely prefer Riller if hes there.

Also prefer like Jared Butler (special handle) and Isaiah Joe (special shooter) in the 2nd

Problem is most these guys will be gone by 58.

A trade back from 28 could make sense, given there isn’t really a talent dropoff, but then whos trading up?

Philly has #34 and #36. Maybe they really want a shooter like Tyrell Terry? #28 and #58 :D
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,580

Post#1942 » by Syd-TK3 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:15 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:Not a huge Mays fan (or any of the LSU guys really), would definitely prefer Riller if hes there.

Also prefer like Jared Butler (special handle) and Isaiah Joe (special shooter) in the 2nd

A trade back from 28 could make sense, given there isn’t really a talent dropoff, but then whos trading up?

Yeah I'm almost certain none of those guys will be there at 58.

I mentioned a trade back before and it's a good option to look at if no one is dropping to 28th or they don't plan on trading up.
The sixers picks were mentioned and with 4 seconds they are pretty much guranteed to move some but it you still want to keep 58 I think you could ask for 36 and 49 instead

Another better option would be the kings at 35 and 43 their 1st pick is in the lottery so I could see them trying to get a late 1st
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1943 » by Psubs » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:24 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:

I mentioned a trade back before and it's a good option to look at if no one is dropping to 28th or they don't plan on trading up.
The sixers picks were mentioned and with 4 seconds they are pretty much guranteed to move some but it you still want to keep 58 I think you could ask for 36 and 49 instead

Another better option would be the kings at 35 and 43 their 1st pick is in the lottery so I could see them trying to get a late 1st

Fleece the Kings!

Bey and Perry!

PG Lowry - FVV - TD
SG FVV - Powell - Thomas
SF OG - Powell - Watson/Bey
PF Siakam - Ibaka - Boucher
C Gasol - Ibaka - Perry
Syd-TK3
RealGM

Post#1944 » by Syd-TK3 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:48 pm

Psubs wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:

Fleece the Kings!

Bey and Perry!

PG Lowry - FVV - TD
SG FVV - Powell - Thomas
C Gasol - Ibaka - Perry

Personally for me I'm hoping Mane stays in the draft and then you could go 2 different directions with the picks.
Grab a pair of more established players
And then take a risky pick who you can leave in the dleague like Mane or even overseas like Eboua
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#1945 » by casual_raps_fan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:53 am

Psubs wrote:

Philly has #34 and #36. Maybe they really want a shooter like Tyrell Terry? #28 and #58 :D

Would it be better to select Tyrell Terry if he drops to us?
Indeed
RealGM
And1: 3,055

Post#1946 » by Indeed » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:15 am

Syd-TK3 wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:Yeah I'm almost certain none of those guys will be there at 58.

Fleece the Kings!

Bey and Perry!

PG Lowry - FVV - TD
SG FVV - Powell - Thomas
C Gasol - Ibaka - Perry

Personally for me I'm hoping Mane stays in the draft and then you could go 2 different directions with the picks.
And then take a risky pick who you can leave in the dleague like Mane or even overseas like Eboua

Again, said it many times, we are not going to stash / oversea.
Not only we have the best development in D-League, also, it did not work well. Jonas first year was not exactly how we would develop him, and he has been more ball dominate than we can train him better with perimeter skills.

I don't understand why we would have drafted players play oversea, not only we are recruiting for undraft to play in D-League, meaning we need more players, also, sending to oversea simply won't "teach" a player like we do, they just want to win.
OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Post#1947 » by OGLife » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:28 am

Indeed wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Fleece the Kings!

Bey and Perry!

PG Lowry - FVV - TD
SG FVV - Powell - Thomas
C Gasol - Ibaka - Perry

Not only we have the best development in D-League, also, it did not work well. Jonas first year was not exactly how we would develop him, and he has been more ball dominate than we can train him better with perimeter skills.

I don't understand why we would have drafted players play oversea, not only we are recruiting for undraft to play in D-League, meaning we need more players, also, sending to oversea simply won't "teach" a player like we do, they just want to win.

I agree. I think with the d league now, no one wants any overseas stash guys.

Guys have to buyout their contact
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1948 » by Psubs » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:38 am

casual_raps_fan wrote:
Psubs wrote:

I would be cool with the future back court of TD and TT! Two potential 50/40/90 players! :D

I feel like Terry could be Trae Young with average defense, which would help win.

If he's closer to 6'1 than 6'3 I think he's at least Darren Collison.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect

Post#1949 » by casual_raps_fan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:38 am

I would like somebody convince to me why it's worth the risk of drafting Pokuseveski.

He looks to be a very tall player with a skill set of a guard. Although still at a primitive level, he shows the ability to make plays, handle the ball, shoot, and pass. He is very young so there is hope that he can start refining his tools and work on his body to compete at the NBA level. I'm thinking his ceiling is something like a Lamar Odom type player. A player that has the height of a 4 or 5 but can do everything a guard would do on offence.

My biggest question marks are...
1) Defence. He's tall but will he ever be strong enough and good enough to defend the 5? If not, will he ever be able to be athletic and strong enough to defend the 4?
2) Offensively, he has a nice variety of skills but he still needs a ton of polish to get his offence to the NBA level. Why would a coach give him the ball when there are so many talented guards in the NBA who can do so much with the ball in their hands.... he'd have to be really good with the ball in his hands.
3) Does he have an NBA level motor? Without the motor, can he really put the work on and off the court to get to where needs to get to?

Basically his potential is great but I see a far more likely chance of him busting. For every Odom or Porzingis, there are so many more Dragan Benders or Thon Makers.
TronoWrappers
Sophomore
And1: 208

Post#1950 » by TronoWrappers » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:39 am

Does anyone know if Ayo Dosunmu is staying in the draft? Looks like a very Raptorsy prospect.

casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect

Post#1951 » by casual_raps_fan » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:09 am

Psubs wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:
Psubs wrote:

I would be cool with the future back court of TD and TT! Two potential 50/40/90 players! :D

I feel like Terry could be Trae Young with average defense, which would help win.

haha. I like your optimism but I think Trae Young with average defence is too much.

I guess it's possible his defence becomes average (especially in the Raptors development program) but it just doesn't seem likely. He's short, very weak and skinny, pretty slow for a 1. He seems to lack the toughness/grit since he dies on screens the moment of contact. I guess his 1.4 steals per game is nice but in general, he just doesn't have much going for him on that end.

His offensive potential is sweet though. His on ball/off ball shooting potential looks absolutely wicked and shows flashes of playmaking too.

Kind of off topic but I looked at Darren Collison's basketball reference page and was surprised how good it looked. He played 10 years in the NBA, averaged 10+ ppg every season of his career, averaged 39% from 3 his career, and a starter on 3 playoff teams. He had a sneaky solid career.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,200

Post#1952 » by Mark_83 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:18 am

Psubs wrote:

Ugh, I don't want Terry on the Sixers. He's exactly what they need. A non-ball dominant elite shooter at the point.

I think he goes higher than has ranked though. Maybe back home to Minny.
Mark_83
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,200

Post#1953 » by Mark_83 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:26 am

Psubs wrote:
casual_raps_fan wrote:
Psubs wrote:

Terry is a less ball hoggy, more disciplined, but less creative Trae Young. I take that every day.
BallstriKer
Freshman
And1: 30

Post#1954 » by BallstriKer » Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:47 am

casual_raps_fan wrote:I would like somebody convince to me why it's worth the risk of drafting Pokuseveski.

He looks to be a very tall player with a skill set of a guard. Although still at a primitive level, he shows the ability to make plays, handle the ball, shoot, and pass. He is very young so there is hope that he can start refining his tools and work on his body to compete at the NBA level. I'm thinking his ceiling is something like a Lamar Odom type player. A player that has the height of a 4 or 5 but can do everything a guard would do on offence.

1) Defence. He's tall but will he ever be strong enough and good enough to defend the 5? If not, will he ever be able to be athletic and strong enough to defend the 4?
2) Offensively, he has a nice variety of skills but he still needs a ton of polish to get his offence to the NBA level. Why would a coach give him the ball when there are so many talented guards in the NBA who can do so much with the ball in their hands.... he'd have to be really good with the ball in his hands.
3) Does he have an NBA level motor? Without the motor, can he really put the work on and off the court to get to where needs to get to?

Basically his potential is great but I see a far more likely chance of him busting. For every Odom or Porzingis, there are so many more Dragan Benders or Thon Makers.
I like the upside but let's face it, he's probably gone by #28. Some team is definitely gonna take a chance on him.
Syd-TK3
RealGM

Post#1955 » by Syd-TK3 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:41 am

Indeed wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Fleece the Kings!

Bey and Perry!

PG Lowry - FVV - TD
SG FVV - Powell - Thomas
C Gasol - Ibaka - Perry

Wasn't saying that they should do it just mentioning those type of project players.
But leaving someone overseas could also have benefits on the teams cap space especially considering the big desicions they have coming up
Syd-TK3
RealGM

Post#1956 » by Syd-TK3 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 4:56 am

Mark_83 wrote:
Psubs wrote:

Ugh, I don't want Terry on the Sixers. He's exactly what they need. A non-ball dominant elite shooter at the point.

I think he goes higher than has ranked though. Maybe back home to Minny.

Yeah Terry is pretty much perfect for them I don't see any way they pass on him at their pick if hes not gone already
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#1957 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue Jul 14, 2020 5:44 am

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Another guy to consider at 58
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#1958 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:10 am

casual_raps_fan wrote:I would like somebody convince to me why it's worth the risk of drafting Pokuseveski.

From a cost/benefit standpoint the risk is pretty minimal for us. The downside is thats hes a third string level player but thats an expected risk for the draft and one we can easily take imo. The upside is basically 7ft gaurd lol thats a huge mismatch for NBA bigs and probably the highest upside in the draft.

I’ll try to address what i can though

1) i think his defense is fine for a 5/4 he’s fairly mobile and his strength issues are probably a little overstated (While he is a noodle now, I think he’ll be fine after a couple years of nba s&c). I expect net positive on that end because hes good at off ball postioning but, he’s pretty bad on-ball right now

2) i think you can make the same argument for a lot of prospects, the appeal isnt an 19 year old shows up and dominates from day 1 but that they have real potential to do that down the line. Poku has basically the same type of skillset as Lamelo but hes 6 inches taller. Why wouldn’t a team try and hone that into a weapon? Usually 19 year old gaurds aren’t elite at the stuff Poku is doing, him showing it at all at his size is pretty crazy imo.I think developing in the 905 for a couple years could really help.

3) Definitely have seen his motor issues on a game 2 game basis have been questioned. Could just be league quality not sure.
Hard to have an opinion here but i trust an nba team could do a much better background check than i can lol
Red_Claw
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,646

Post#1959 » by Red_Claw » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:05 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Another guy to consider at 58

Shot selection is much like Fred's. Hard to believe he would have the same defensive ferocity and since Masai usually goes for defensive potential (minus Matt Thomas), not sure if Yam is really a dark horse pick.
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#1960 » by nabbs » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:49 pm

NEW SAM VECENIE MOCK:

Has us taking Daniel Oturu and Paul Eboua

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,

Return to Toronto Raptors