ImageImageImageImageImage

Warriors name change

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 362

Re: Warriors name change 

Post#101 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:46 pm

Bay Area Vipers (Paying homage to the slivery one himself, KD)
Silicon Valley Money Makers :lol:

Those are my 2 cents :D
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#102 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:16 am

azwfan wrote:Glad to see the Redskins are changing their name. Hopefully the new name will not have anything to do with Native Americans nor any conquered people.

Also props to Pepsi Co, Fed Ex and other corporate sponsors who put the pressure on Snyder. Whether it was just done for good PR or not, the right thing is finally getting done.

Agreed
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,681

Post#103 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:54 pm

Frozzy wrote:San Francisco Lightyears

Lightyears Star Warriors. George Lucas is from here. Then we just just never mention the "lightyears" and "star" part and keep on calling them the Warriors.

Of the 6 teams on Carmelo's list the Warriors is least offensive. I am not sure that Black Hawks is deorgatory but maybe the imagery is.

Not on Carnelo's list is the Celtics. Is that offensive?
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,558

Post#104 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:48 pm

Based on a thread on the General Board, which was on the whole pretty annoying, I'd suggest that if we were to change our name, we go with the Golden State Hyphy Movement. Then in 10, 15, 20 years, our children/grandchildren can ask us what the heck that means.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
MastermindLV
Senior
And1: 822

Post#105 » by MastermindLV » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:08 pm

Golden State Homeless

To pay tribute to the growing population in the Bay Area
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#106 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:50 pm

wco81 wrote:Interesting that the team was originally in Boston before moving to DC.

They were called Braves before changing to the current name.

I wonder why Indian themes were so popular back in the '30s and 40s when a lot of these names were chosen.

Was it because of Western movies? Maybe popular culture then viewed them as fearsome?

Because it's strange that a Boston team would use a Native American slur or theme. Not exactly a part of the country known for Native American history.

Lions and Tigers and bears and Native Americans. OK, definitely a problem there.

There is probably some mooronic reason why the Boston Braves were named the Braves. On the other hand calling Native American fighters the Braves is in a way respectfull to Native Americans. Bravery is something we admire. Racist white people acknowledged Native Amercan Bravery.

I spent a year messing with my genealogy and learned about King Phillips war. King Philip AKA Metacom or something like that. It was arguably the bloodiest war in American history. The largest percentage of people killed on both sides. A bunch of my ancestors got killed and a bunch of my ancestors massacred native Americans in that war including women and children.

The Native Americans made a valient effort at driving the white people out of New England. They were outnumbered and out gunned but they made a heroic effort. They were 20 years too late. The Native Americans wasted 20 years using the Puritans in alliances against other Native Anericans and by the time they realized that they needed to unite against the Purtans they were outnumbered.

Braves sounds better than Red Sox
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,194

Post#107 » by wco81 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:02 pm

White people were pretty ruthless vs. Indians, gave them blankets infected with smallpox.

Would be like using bio weapons now, specifically targeting the children of your enemies.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#108 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:54 am

I grew up in Boston and never knew the Washington Redskins were ever a Boston team. I knew about. The Boston Braves baseball team that went to Milwaulkie and wound up Atlanta.

"the team chose its original name — the Boston Braves — because it shared a field with Boston’s baseball team by the same name. Marshall explains the AP story that he gave up the name “Braves” because it was too easily confused with the baseball team, and he chose “Redskins” to keep the Native American imagery as the team moved away from the Braves Field and into Fenway Park, the home of the Boston Red Sox."
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,333

Post#109 » by KevinMcreynolds » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:37 pm

wco81 wrote:White people were pretty ruthless vs. Indians, gave them blankets infected with smallpox.

Would be like using bio weapons now, specifically targeting the children of your enemies.

I don't think Golden State Diseased Blankets would go over well
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Phase 3
Veteran
And1: 758

Post#110 » by Phase 3 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:51 pm

Quazza
Head Coach
And1: 1,727

Post#111 » by Quazza » Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:39 am

THE GOLDEN STATE DOT COMS

(all caps, always)
KevinMcreynolds wrote:BIG DICK BOB DOIN WORK

KGdaBom wrote:You can go back and read every post I made. Never said one bad thing about one person until Coxy came up with his Vagiclean comment
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#112 » by HiRez » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:13 pm

wco81 wrote:Bears?

Official animal of the state is Grizzly Bear?

Golden State Bears works for me and makes a lot of sense. State animal who is also an apex predator, I think I could get behind that. Does it conflict with the Memphis Grizzlies? Aww, who cares, people forget there’s even a team there. Plus we can all do Ditka jokes.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,816

Post#113 » by cdubbz » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:54 am

:evil:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:Based on a thread on the General Board, which was on the whole pretty annoying, I'd suggest that if we were to change our name, we go with the Golden State Hyphy Movement. Then in 10, 15, 20 years, our children/grandchildren can ask us what the heck that means.

I already forgot about the Hyphy Movement.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.

Return to Golden State Warriors