ImageImageImageImageImage

Wiggins and Warriors - get on the record.

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Will the Warriors be a success with Wiggins next year (WCF or Chip)

Yes
57%
No
43%

Total votes: 103

azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,743

Re: Wiggins and Warriors - get on the record. 

Post#161 » by azwfan » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:34 pm

i'm not worried about Draymond nor Curry. I'm worried about Klay's knee and everyone else's game.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#162 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:12 am

azwfan wrote:i'm not worried about Draymond nor Curry. I'm worried about Klay's knee and everyone else's game.

I worry more about Klay's defense rather than anything else in his game.

I worry most about the young guys stepping up.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,683

Post#163 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:21 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:Those that think Draymond is going to show up fat and lazy next year....don't get it. In fact it's just lazy observations (duh...he not scoring and Warriors losing so ...duh)

Draymond WILL BE THE MOST MOTIVATED HE HAS EVER BEEN to PROVE to Durant THAT THE WARRIORS DON'T NEED HIM!

Curry, Green, Wiggins, Green...that core is enough to win the chip IMO (I'm putting down a grand on that believe btw)

BUT...I would love the Warriors to land Marc Gasol and one other vet to go along with the draft pick.

2015-16 I think the guys might have been motivated by the consensus opinion With NBA fans being that the Warriors were fake champions that only won because the Cavs were injured. 2015 Warriors were the 2nd youngest champions ever after the 1977 Blazers.

This next year won't have as much youthfull enthusiasm from Steph, Klay, Dray because they are not kids anymore. But Steph Klay are now hardenned vets with a year of rest. The Motivation of being dismissed as being illegitmate over the hill Kevin Durant side kicks is sort of like being dismissed as fake champions that only won because the Cavs were injured. I expect Steph, Klay, Dray to bring everything they can to demolishing the competition.

Steph, Klay Dray really are older and their bodies won't be able to perform at the same level that they did in 2016.
So qustion mark number 1 is what has age and Klay's knee done to the core?

Qusetion number 2 is can Wiggins join in a year long mission to demolish the competition as he team. If Wiggins is capable of sustained motivation and team play then he has as much incentive to want to make fools out of his detractors as Steph, Klay, Dray do. I could easily imagine Wiggins joining in a mission to destroy the competition (presuming that Wiggins shares the Warriors core capability of sustained focus).

2015 and 2016 Warriors had good player continuity. The guys had played together for a while and more than normal for an NBA team. Last year's Wariiors may have set a all time NBA record for teamates having no experience playing together. This coming year Warriors won't be as inexperienced at playing together.

For a team that could not win last year's team was about as enthuisatic as I have ever seen a team of losers. Something was going really right as for the team chemistry to be that good on a team that could not win games. The guys that got traded did not want to be traded. They wanted to keep playing with the Warriors.

I am sort of enthuisiastic about Poole. He was the worst shooter in the NBA for 2/3s of the season but I felt like he turned it arround ar the end of the season. We got a high draft pick but we don't need them to be useful their rookie year. We have a trade exception, Mid level exception, and vet mininum contrats to give out. I think the Warriors have a good reputation with players as being a team you want to be a part of.

Maybe Looney will be healthy. Not likely. Bownan is adequate at back up point guard. The other returning guys are playable but you would prefer that they not be asked to be anything other than the 8th or 9th man.

If the core and Wiggins have a good year the Warriors are good enough to win a championship in a down year. Add a decent starting center to that group and The Warriors are even better.

LeBron will be old. No team can withstand an injury to their star. I don't see a super team blocking other teams chances to win a championship.

Rumors of the Warriors dynasty's death have been greatly exagerated.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,683

Post#164 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:27 pm

Suppose Klay's knee makes him unable to stay in front of guards; then turn him into a 2-3 Swingman and find another off guard. They say Klay is healed. I am not as worried about Klay being able to run marathons arround screens on offense as much as I am about that tiny loss of springyness needed to stay infront of a dribbler on defense.
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,674

Post#165 » by VanWest82 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:34 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Suppose Klay's knee makes him unable to stay in front of guards; then turn him into a 2-3 Swingman and find another off guard. They say Klay is healed. I am not as worried about Klay being able to run marathons arround screens on offense as I am about that tiny loss of springyness needed to stay infront of a dribbler on defense.

This is a good point though I've always felt like his biggest advantage in those match ups is his length. Danny Green also guards PGs and he's never had the foot speed to stay in front of guys. Klay will figure it out. Warriors could use someone like Avery Bradley coming off the bench though.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,400

Post#166 » by ILOVEIT » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:53 am

VanWest82 wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:Suppose Klay's knee makes him unable to stay in front of guards; then turn him into a 2-3 Swingman and find another off guard. They say Klay is healed. I am not as worried about Klay being able to run marathons arround screens on offense as I am about that tiny loss of springyness needed to stay infront of a dribbler on defense.

This is a good point though I've always felt like his biggest advantage in those match ups is his length. Danny Green also guards PGs and he's never had the foot speed to stay in front of guys. Klay will figure it out. Warriors could use someone like Avery Bradley coming off the bench though.

Wiggins is great insurance if Klay has a set back. Not nearly the player....but sufficient to hold down the spot. Kerr could use him at Big Guard and Small Forward pretty easily. Make Paschal a starter...
Curry, Wiggins, Paschall, Green, CENTER tbd
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#167 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:28 pm

Klay's lateral movement will come back, but it's probably not going to be there this year. The most important part for the Warriors is having 5 guys on the floor who all know and put maximum effort into the team defense scheme, something Kerr has struggled with on playing young guys in minutes that matter.
VanWest82
RealGM

Post#168 » by VanWest82 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:11 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:

Wiggins is great insurance if Klay has a set back. Not nearly the player....but sufficient to hold down the spot. Kerr could use him at Big Guard and Small Forward pretty easily. Make Paschal a starter...

I think the point being made about Klay's knee is more about how you're going to defend PGs. Wiggins probably can't slide into that role based on what we've seen from him to date. If Klay just can't do it anymore then the Curry/Klay/Wiggins trio is going to struggle defensively at the point of attack. Either way, it makes sense for Warriors to invest in a defensive guard.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#169 » by The Maestro » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:28 pm

VanWest82 wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:

I think the point being made about Klay's knee is more about how you're going to defend PGs. Wiggins probably can't slide into that role based on what we've seen from him to date. If Klay just can't do it anymore then the Curry/Klay/Wiggins trio is going to struggle defensively at the point of attack. Either way, it makes sense for Warriors to invest in a defensive guard.

Why can’t Wiggins slide into that role? He’s a good on ball defender. He’s athletic, quick and moves his feet very well. I can easily see him guarding pg’s.
VanWest82
RealGM

Post#170 » by VanWest82 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:33 pm

The Maestro wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:

Why can’t Wiggins slide into that role? He’s a good on ball defender. He’s athletic, quick and moves his feet very well. I can easily see him guarding pg’s.

Let's just say that I question his want to and toughness battling through screens to stay with his man. Klay is pretty underrated in that regard. Same with Danny Green. I'd probably rather have Klay on a bum knee chasing the Kemba Walkers of the league than Wiggins though I'm sure Kerr will experiment and find the best solution.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#171 » by Warriors Analyst » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:04 am

VanWest82 wrote:
The Maestro wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:

Let's just say that I question his want to and toughness battling through screens to stay with his man. Klay is pretty underrated in that regard. Same with Danny Green. I'd probably rather have Klay on a bum knee chasing the Kemba Walkers of the league than Wiggins though I'm sure Kerr will experiment and find the best solution.

When Klay was younger, he wasn’t a great off-ball defender and he was prone to lapses of attention and losing his man. Putting him on-ball to defend small point guards was an effective way to keep him engaged and make use of his size. I’d imagine the coaching staff feels they can and should do something similar with Wiggins as he has had issues with his defensive motor while also taking a much bigger role on offense than he ever will here.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#172 » by Little Digger » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:28 am

“I took a day (last month) and spent some time with him, watched him work out. One of our assistant coaches came down for the week to train him. And so we got together. It was great to see him, because he loves the game so much. He loves to play. And he’s missed it so much. And he looked great,” Warriors head coach Steve Kerr said about Klay Thompson.

“He was in really, really good shape, draining shots from all over like the Klay we all know and love. So he’s ready to go. It’s just that we don’t know when basketball will be played, but Klay will be ready.”
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,691

Post#173 » by DAWill1128 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:24 am

It's gonna be exciting getting the guys back next season. The last we saw them they were battling in the Finals with limited help in an aging Igoudola and a really limited and injured Cousins in the starting lineup. Now we will have potentially two ultra elite NBA athletes in Wiggins and potentially Wiseman filling in.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#174 » by Little Digger » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:32 am

Besides health, Wiggins-Paschall improving their 3pt shooting percentages will be the key to next season

Klay’s D? He’ll be back in form by mid year

ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.

Return to Golden State Warriors