Adios Kevin Calabro

Moderators: Moonbeam, DeBlazerRiddem, The Sebastian Express

Tim Lehrbach
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,955

Re: Adios Kevin Calabro 

Post#21 » by Tim Lehrbach » Tue Jul 7, 2020 12:27 am

Wheels was a great voice and you're right -- his intensity was unmatched, really made you feel the action and the moment. There were enough things I didn't enjoy about his style that he doesn't quite make that top tier for me, but that's personal preference. It's totally fair to mention him among the excellent broadcasters we've had.
Clipsz 4 Life
January 20, 2002-May 17, 2006
Saxon
February 20, 2001-August 9, 2007
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Post#22 » by d-train » Tue Jul 7, 2020 6:32 am

Wheels was very good at his job, better than Schonz, IMO. Calabro, Wheels, and Schonz were play-by-play commentators. Steve Jones, Larry Steele, Dave Twardzik, Geoff Petrie, and Michael Holton are/were analysts. I liked them all, especially Steve Jones. The guy I remember I didn't like, I called him the DeMute Button. His name was similar to DeMute. I can't remember his actual name. He famously called Sam Bowie, "Sambo."
zzaj
General Manager
And1: 2,520

Post#23 » by zzaj » Tue Jul 7, 2020 8:54 pm

d-train wrote:Wheels was very good at his job, better than Schonz, IMO. Calabro, Wheels, and Schonz were play-by-play commentators. Steve Jones, Larry Steele, Dave Twardzik, Geoff Petrie, and Michael Holton are/were analysts. I liked them all, especially Steve Jones. The guy I remember I didn't like, I called him the DeMute Button. His name was similar to DeMute. I can't remember his actual name. He famously called Sam Bowie, "Sambo."

You must be thinking of "Steady" Eddie Doucette...he was only around a couple of years. I couldn't stand him either.
Myth
General Manager
And1: 8,426

Post#24 » by Myth » Wed Jul 8, 2020 4:43 am

Shame, I liked him since day one. I can definitely get on board this though:

Shem wrote:Bring back this man.

Just don't bring back Mike Rice.
d-train
RealGM

Post#25 » by d-train » Wed Jul 8, 2020 8:34 am

zzaj wrote:
d-train wrote:Wheels was very good at his job, better than Schonz, IMO. Calabro, Wheels, and Schonz were play-by-play commentators. Steve Jones, Larry Steele, Dave Twardzik, Geoff Petrie, and Michael Holton are/were analysts. I liked them all, especially Steve Jones. The guy I remember I didn't like, I called him the DeMute Button. His name was similar to DeMute. I can't remember his actual name. He famously called Sam Bowie, "Sambo."

You must be thinking of "Steady" Eddie Doucette...he was only around a couple of years. I couldn't stand him either.

No, Doucette was our radio guy. I'm talking about a TV play-by-play guy that was here briefly, a year or less in the mid 80's. He was the worst broadcaster ever. He preceded a guy named Pat Lafferty.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#26 » by zzaj » Wed Jul 8, 2020 10:02 pm

d-train wrote:
zzaj wrote:

No, Doucette was our radio guy. I'm talking about a TV play-by-play guy that was here briefly, a year or less in the mid 80's. He was the worst broadcaster ever. He preceded a guy named Pat Lafferty.

I am drawing a blank...I was more of a radio listener in those years. I'm sure there is somebody around here that has a better memory than me for these kinds of things...
d-train
RealGM

Post#27 » by d-train » Wed Jul 8, 2020 11:00 pm

zzaj wrote:
d-train wrote:
zzaj wrote:

I am drawing a blank...I was more of a radio listener in those years. I'm sure there is somebody around here that has a better memory than me for these kinds of things...

I'm about 90% sure his name is John DeMott. Not the artist, John DeMott the former Padres announcer. Here's a link; Notice it's dated 2014 and no mention of his year with Blazers. Blazers history keepers have banished him as far as I can tell.

https://www.padres360.com/2014/10/16/john-demott-early-days-to-padres-pa/#:~:text=John%20DeMott%20is%20a%20familiar,the%20Padres%20second%20PA%20announcer.
d-train
RealGM

Post#28 » by d-train » Thu Jul 9, 2020 12:56 am

Here's a better link:
https://padres360.wordpress.com/tag/john-demott/

There's a photo of him as a much younger man than when he was Blazers TV play-by-play commentator. I'm 100% certain this is him. Funny how there is nothing on Google tying him to Blazers. I guess when you suck at your job, nobody remembers you.
zzaj
General Manager

Post#29 » by zzaj » Thu Jul 9, 2020 9:26 pm

d-train wrote:Here's a better link:
https://padres360.wordpress.com/tag/john-demott/

There's a photo of him as a much younger man than when he was Blazers TV play-by-play commentator. I'm 100% certain this is him. Funny how there is nothing on Google tying him to Blazers. I guess when you suck at your job, nobody remembers you.

Yeah, you stumped me too--but like I said, I was more of a radio guy in those years...
mojomarc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 966

Post#30 » by mojomarc » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:04 pm

Dame Lizard wrote:
Sinobas wrote:I hope they bring mike and mike back.
I don't. I think I am part of the minority who prefers Kevin and Lamar over the Mikes.

I did like the younger Mike, but the older Mike had way too much Portland bias for my liking. I do appreciate it's Portland commentary, so bias will always be there.

I was a huge fan of KC and Lamar. I mean, what wasn't to like about the drunk uncle vibe (other than he wasn't analyzing a game going on outside of his head half the time)? But c'mon--KC is a fantastic pbp guy and Lamar has proven himself to be an adept analyst who played well off of KC.

But since it appears KC went based on his own desires, I think we can just wish him luck and hope that Kent/Hurd is a good combo.
d-train
RealGM

Post#31 » by d-train » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:01 am

The problem with Mike and Mike wasn't their Blazers bias. Who cares if they wanted everything to go Blazers way? My problem was their agenda to promote particular players, rather than calling it the way it happened. I'm ok with calling attention to targeted players by talking about their contribution to a play. I didn't like it when they constantly gave certain players credit when they actually contributed nothing. They didn't just do it occasionally, they it a dozen times every game. It got old, and it was good news when Blazers replaced them.
DaVoiceMaster
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,083

Post#32 » by DaVoiceMaster » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:52 pm

No one was better than the Snapper (R.I.P. Steve Jones). Loved watching him and Walton do a national game together. Walton would spew a bunch of crap and the Snapper called him on it every time. It was pure gold!!!! I'm still a Schonley guy. Never did a lot of radio since back in the day so while I liked Wheels (what's not to like about the name?), I gotta stick with the Schonz (bingo bango bongo baby).
DaVoiceMaster
Senior Mod - Trail Blazers
12/27/2017 - 01/03/2018
d-train
RealGM

Post#33 » by d-train » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:54 pm

DaVoiceMaster wrote:No one was better than the Snapper (R.I.P. Steve Jones). Loved watching him and Walton do a national game together. Walton would spew a bunch of crap and the Snapper called him on it every time. It was pure gold!!!! I'm still a Schonley guy. Never did a lot of radio since back in the day so while I liked Wheels (what's not to like about the name?), I gotta stick with the Schonz (bingo bango bongo baby).

Steve Jones was the best. His commentary was so insightful. You could tell that he wasn't just a former professional basketball player. He was an extremely smart player.

Return to Portland Trail Blazers