ImageImageImage

Championship hopes

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Re: Championship hopes 

Post#181 » by jbent87 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:29 pm

IDK, this feels like a big deal to me. I feel like we said ad nauseum over the last couple years when is Brett going to admit Simmons at PG is an issue due to the lack of shooting and enforce some kinda coaching that "makes him" implement shooting, and then how is he going to do this, without insulting Bens ego and alienating him... and now we just saw it. All it took was a pandemic to get the point across to Ben of hey, just put down the shiny PG label for a second and lets try some things out. And now in this day and age of shooting, if Ben is finding himself in PF spots on offense more than ever, he's going to be left open in scenarios where he's going to have to take the shot/corner 3s. The flow of the offense is going to put him in situations like these, especially with the shot clock running down. Instead of having the ball in his hands in those times, he's going to be on the receiving end more than ever, which is going to force him into more jumpers. We'll have to see where it goes from there, but I'm looking forward to it.
76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,713

Post#182 » by 76thBearCub » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:04 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I'm kind of confused why the ESPN talking heads are calling this a "desperate" move. It's the only move that makes sense. If the plan is to maximize Embiid and Simmons, they need to have someone else who can create offense while being an above average three point shooter. To me, Shake isn't the question heading into the playoffs. Tobias and JRich are the concern as they have not shown great promise for hitting 3s this year.

Well, it would be confusing if this was the first time you had heard of the guy I reckon.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,899

Post#183 » by Wilfried » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:15 pm

What are all you guys talking about ... and all these analysis

We just have to be that one team that still has 5 players without COVID 19 and we are the champs!
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,419

Post#184 » by Eyeamok » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:48 am

Wilfried wrote:What are all you guys talking about ... and all these analysis

We just have to be that one team that still has 5 players without COVID 19 and we are the champs!

Milton, Scott, Hartford, Korkman, Alec Burks
The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,183

Post#185 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:57 am

Shake Milton about to save Brett's whole career.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Melton/Payne
Maxey/Hield/Downtin
Batum/Oubre/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#186 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:49 pm

Shake's usage should go up a bit, we'll see how he handles it. He's always been able to feel the game out as a playmaker and has that strut that can keep defenders off balance.

The obvious challenge is that he'll constantly be going up against premier guards in this role. Expect some necessary growing pains.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#187 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:11 pm

Looks like we'll get to view some live hoops in 9 days on 7/24. NBCSportsPhilly will be airing all three exhibition games.

youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#188 » by youngcrev » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:46 pm

ankle420breaker wrote:Looks like we'll get to view some live hoops in 9 days on 7/24. NBCSportsPhilly will be airing all three exhibition games.

:nod:

Read on Twitter
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 14,114

Post#189 » by BullyKing » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:28 am

youngcrev wrote:
ankle420breaker wrote:Looks like we'll get to view some live hoops in 9 days on 7/24. NBCSportsPhilly will be airing all three exhibition games.

:nod:

Read on Twitter

I'm sure it's mostly being locked inside for four months and the only "live" things happening are more depressing updates on the state of the world but I am irrationally excited for some scrimmage basketball!
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#190 » by ankle420breaker » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:01 am

I'll be prepping food, pouring cocktails, and irrationally screaming at my TV for this 3:30pm exhibition game.

Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#191 » by Sixerscan » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:17 am

I just hope we can help get OKC sharp and ready to rock.
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#192 » by ankle420breaker » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:57 am

Anyone else notice Horford looks leaner? Its gone overlooked, but he said he wasn't completely healthy prior to the shutdown. Hopefully the break gave him time to get to the level he needs to be at for the playoff run.

M2J
Starter
And1: 1,158

Post#193 » by M2J » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:16 am

I don't see what people are worried about. So long as Shake doesn't go on some stretch where he's cold enough that teams are leaving him open, or hurts the defense badly, this is a win. Ben plays off the ball a ton in the half court anyways seeing as he can't shoot. The focus is usually getting it into the post.

Shake is there to open the court for those guys, not become LeBron James. If he maintains his peace before the break, well amazing. But the move is mainly to open the half court, which should allow more driving lanes for Ben off the catch or in the post and space for Joel. Also allows the team another shooter and finisher on the break, for Ben's strengths. I would be happy to see Ben as the roll man more often and setting off ball screens, which he's shown to be a strength and effective way for him to contribute in the half court.

This was probably the best case scenario Brown envisioned when Al went to the bench due to spacing. We thought it would be for Kork or Thybulle, but neither of those guys have the overall package of Shake who was at the end of the bench at the time. The threat of his skillset is the key to activating the others, not him becoming a star when there are really 4 other stars with him on the court. If he does, great. I don't think we'll feel a huge loss from Ben. At the end of the day, if there is more reluctance for even one more player to sink into the paint, if there are more 3pt makes off of their inside attack, and actually more 3pt threats off the dribble opening up transition and interior opportunities.... Philly would be a whole new team.

I'm more interested in seeing how well Al adjusts to coming off the bench. He should shine after this additional adjustment time.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,484

Post#194 » by elchengue20 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:38 pm

I like the adjustement, Ben simply isn't a PG. You can't be a PG if you can't shoot a 3 and run a PnrR. If he's going to play off the ball anyways, you need more players who can shoot, create off the dribble, run PnR, etc.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Post#195 » by eagereyez » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:03 am

sixers hoops wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
VDT wrote:
Yes Milton running the offense was an exaggeration on my part, but since they say that Simmons will be the official PF i assume in the half court he will not really handle the ball. So it would be up to Harris, Richardson and Milton to make plays and Richardson and Harris are not very good at creating for others anyway. So probably they count on Milton to run some plays, unless they plan to just run isos in the half court which also doesnt sound that exciting either.

We will see, i am just afraid that the higher intensity and the higher stakes in the postseason will impact Milton's game.

I am also wondering if Simmons moving to PF will be something permanent and what does this mean for his future as a player.

I don’t think that is so different though? Like it’s been so rare that we’ve had everyone healthy but when they were Tobias and Jrich initiated sets a lot. I watched the clippers game before the break recently (basically the only healthy game of 2020) and down the stretch it was all Jrich making plays.

Simmons is such a weird player that even if he’s going to play the “4” it’s not gonna be clear what that really means until we see it on the court.

Agreed that it remains to be seen whether Shake can stay on the court in a playoff game. Or even just if he can be an effective player as the 5th best guy on the court instead of getting all the touches with Ben and jo out or even in the g league last year.

I expect some Shake growing pains, but it’s our best option. After Furkan had a few lights out games, fans thought we developed an All-Star. I think Milton’s huge game really raised expectations very high for him. His shooting should regress some and he will have some tough defensive assignments, but I think he will be okay. I think losing with Shake, Furkan, and Thybulle playing big roles is better than losing with Neto, Horford, and Mike Scott getting the minutes anyway. We need to develop those guys now, and they also prob give us the best chance to win now.
I agree with the young guys getting minutes. They are the future. The Sixers are going to be capped out and they've already used up many of their trade assets. They really need one of those prospects to develop into a good quality starter or at least rotation piece.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,046

Post#196 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:27 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:
VDT wrote:
Yes Milton running the offense was an exaggeration on my part, but since they say that Simmons will be the official PF i assume in the half court he will not really handle the ball. So it would be up to Harris, Richardson and Milton to make plays and Richardson and Harris are not very good at creating for others anyway. So probably they count on Milton to run some plays, unless they plan to just run isos in the half court which also doesnt sound that exciting either.

We will see, i am just afraid that the higher intensity and the higher stakes in the postseason will impact Milton's game.

I am also wondering if Simmons moving to PF will be something permanent and what does this mean for his future as a player.

I don’t think that is so different though? Like it’s been so rare that we’ve had everyone healthy but when they were Tobias and Jrich initiated sets a lot. I watched the clippers game before the break recently (basically the only healthy game of 2020) and down the stretch it was all Jrich making plays.

Simmons is such a weird player that even if he’s going to play the “4” it’s not gonna be clear what that really means until we see it on the court.

Agreed that it remains to be seen whether Shake can stay on the court in a playoff game. Or even just if he can be an effective player as the 5th best guy on the court instead of getting all the touches with Ben and jo out or even in the g league last year.

I expect some Shake growing pains, but it’s our best option. After Furkan had a few lights out games, fans thought we developed an All-Star. I think Milton’s huge game really raised expectations very high for him. His shooting should regress some and he will have some tough defensive assignments, but I think he will be okay. I think losing with Shake, Furkan, and Thybulle playing big roles is better than losing with Neto, Horford, and Mike Scott getting the minutes anyway. We need to develop those guys now, and they also prob give us the best chance to win now.

Yeah definitely agreed, there's real long term value in playing those guys because they're young and cost controlled. If those three (or even two) can be pencilled into the starting lineup/rotation next year it gives you a clearer picture of how you use Scott's expiring and the MLE to fill in the edges, and it sounds like that is the plan at least for now:

Read on Twitter

So if this is sort of the second wave lineup, the remaining big chunk is what you do with Embiid's group that tends to play the late first and third quarters/early 2nd and 4th while Ben rests, including probably some stretch where Jo and Horford are playing together.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#197 » by LloydFree » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:14 pm

eagereyez wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

I agree with the young guys getting minutes. They are the future. The Sixers are going to be capped out and they've already used up many of their trade assets. They really need one of those prospects to develop into a good quality starter or at least rotation piece.

Shake and Thybulle are already Starters/good rotation pieces, who make next to nothing for the next 3 seasons.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#198 » by youngcrev » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:54 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:

Yeah definitely agreed, there's real long term value in playing those guys because they're young and cost controlled. If those three (or even two) can be pencilled into the starting lineup/rotation next year it gives you a clearer picture of how you use Scott's expiring and the MLE to fill in the edges, and it sounds like that is the plan at least for now:

Read on Twitter

So if this is sort of the second wave lineup, the remaining big chunk is what you do with Embiid's group that tends to play the late first and third quarters/early 2nd and 4th while Ben rests, including probably some stretch where Jo and Horford are playing together.

Horford's going to have to be on that Embiid unit if they want to get him a meaningful amount of playoff minutes, particularly if they want to try and limit the amount of time that all 3 of Simmons/Embiid/Horford are on the floor. Brett threw out 38 mpg for Jo in the playoffs. Not sure I see that happening (or if it's even a good idea), but I wouldn't be surprised to see Ben playing that or more in a close series.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,057

Post#199 » by sixers hoops » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:52 pm

LloydFree wrote:
eagereyez wrote:
sixers hoops wrote:

Shake and Thybulle are already Starters/good rotation pieces, who make next to nothing for the next 3 seasons.

It seems like they they need more floor spacing than I initially expected. I thought Horford, Richardson, and Tobias would provide plenty of spacing for Joel and Ben, but depending on simply above average shooters doesn’t seem to be enough. Other teams sag off Ben and collapse on Joel, and dare those guys to beat them.

I’ll be curious to see how many of Thybulle, Shake, Furkan, and Tobias will be consistent enough shooters to allow Joel and Ben to both be successful, or make the other team pay, against playoff teams.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,422

Post#200 » by 76ciology » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:04 pm

76ciology wrote:
Mik317 wrote:still not sure how taking Ben off ball makes much sense if he is not going to take jumpers.

PNR with him as the roller is interesting but that will also mean EMbiid has to space more.

idk but I am glad they are trying something.

I think Ben at PF doesnt mean him playing off ball. Maybe he plays a more aggressive wing like a baby Giannis like how he did when he went saiyan (not super saiyan) to start the year.

P.S. looking at the tapes. Milton-Ben two man action has a lot of promise

Speaking of my “p.s.”

Read on Twitter
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers