Image ImageImage Image

KC: Boylen Believes He's Forming Strong Relationship With New Regime

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,173

KC: Boylen Believes He's Forming Strong Relationship With New Regime 

Post#1 » by HomoSapien » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:17 pm

"The relationship has gone really well," Boylen told Jack Doles of WOOD-TV, an NBC affiliate in the coach's hometown of Grand Rapids, Mich., with a question and local angle given to Doles by sister station WGN-Ch. 9 in Chicago. "We communicate every day. I think they understand where we were, what we're trying to get to. They've been very supportive and collaborative. It's a process to build this team into what it can be. I just like the fact that we have a relationship already. It's never perfect. Nothing's perfect. You just work at it. Tell the truth. You get your guys to play hard. That's what we're trying to do."

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/bulls-jim-boylen-believes-hes-forming-strong-relationship-new-regime

Not really new information here and you wouldn't expect Boylen to say anything but this, but the more we hear the less optimistic I am that we'll have a new coach next season.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
othawhitemeat
Veteran
And1: 757

Re: KC: Boylen Believes He's Forming Strong Relationship With New Regime 

Post#2 » by othawhitemeat » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:21 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
"The relationship has gone really well," Boylen told Jack Doles of WOOD-TV, an NBC affiliate in the coach's hometown of Grand Rapids, Mich., with a question and local angle given to Doles by sister station WGN-Ch. 9 in Chicago. "We communicate every day. I think they understand where we were, what we're trying to get to. They've been very supportive and collaborative. It's a process to build this team into what it can be. I just like the fact that we have a relationship already. It's never perfect. Nothing's perfect. You just work at it. Tell the truth. You get your guys to play hard. That's what we're trying to do."

https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/bulls/bulls-jim-boylen-believes-hes-forming-strong-relationship-new-regime

Not really new information here and you wouldn't expect Boylen to say anything but this, but the more we hear the less optimistic I am that we'll have a new coach next season.

The thing that bothers me the most about Boylen is not just that he is a really, really bad coach, is that he gets away with being a smug suck up to front office and the only reason he is in this position is for being a puppet, acting smarter than everyone else while many Real Gm posters unfortunately know more about basketball than him, and having a job because your owner is dirt cheap even though you don't make much (and due to Covid). The only benefit will be drafting position next year in a shortened season most likely.
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,936

Post#3 » by Axl Rose » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:33 pm

Just fire the guy already please. Put Bulls fans minds at ease that regardless of whose coaching the team next season that it wont be Jim Boylen.
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
Pax for Prez
Starter
And1: 375

Post#4 » by Pax for Prez » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:44 pm

This would be Boylen if he is still the Bulls coach next season (Bald guy in the P3 commercial - link below) :lol:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/n2A_/p3-portable-protein-packs-turkey-almonds-and-colby-jack-wedding-dance

Pax
patagonia
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,032

Post#5 » by patagonia » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:45 pm

Boylen is going to say whatever he can to keep his job and try to pressure AK into keeping him. The media is going to hype it up because they know it will get bulls fans worked up.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,526

Post#6 » by DuckIII » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:17 pm

File this in the “what do you expect him to say” drawer.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,897

Post#7 » by meekrab » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:19 pm

DuckIII wrote:File this in the “what do you expect him to say” drawer.

"Yeah the new boss made it clear I'm on borrowed time, so I'm showing up late and leaving early these days while working on my resume and interview skills" :lol:
85Bears
Pro Prospect
And1: 135

Post#8 » by 85Bears » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:25 pm

(I posted this earlier today)

I get keeping Boylen for now and even next season. We are not expecting major roster moves and I still believe the plan is FA 2021. The coach should fit the talent you have and more importantly the talent you want.

When I pitch Giannis next summer I tell him he gets to pick the coach. Any coach better be a reason for AD or Giannis to come here. If the Bulls know a guy who can bring in the top Free agents, Fire Boylen and hire that guy now. If Hiring a no name Up and comer to replace Jim next season doesn’t move the needle for any player, why do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,936

Post#9 » by Axl Rose » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:29 pm

85Bears wrote:(I posted this earlier today)

I get keeping Boylen for now and even next season. We are not expecting major roster moves and I still believe the plan is FA 2021. The coach should fit the talent you have and more importantly the talent you want.

When I pitch Giannis next summer I tell him he gets to pick the coach. Any coach better be a reason for AD or Giannis to come here. If the Bulls know a guy who can bring in the top Free agents, Fire Boylen and hire that guy now. If Hiring a no name Up and comer to replace Jim next season doesn’t move the needle for any player, why do it.

Problem is that Boylen is a detriment to the talent already on the team. Lauri in particular.
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#10 » by drosereturn » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:14 pm

Jimbo just secured his spot bc of Corona. Jerry is not going to spend a single dime when he is losing 9 figures every yr.
Well time for Lauri to move to Dallas to form a European superteam. Welp.
I actually dont mind Jimbo being coach if AK somehow drafts multiple superstars that are so talented they dont need Jimbos help.
Lavine and White clearly needs help so they dont make the cut.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
pduh01
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,562

Post#11 » by pduh01 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:48 pm

He is staying for at least another season isn’t he? Sigh
Check out my blogs
http://nbaanalytical.blogspot.com/ <-------NBA Analytical

Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/phillip93
Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,213

Post#12 » by Red8911 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:03 am

othawhitemeat wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:

The thing that bothers me the most about Boylen is not just that he is a really, really bad coach, is that he gets away with being a smug suck up to front office and the only reason he is in this position is for being a puppet, acting smarter than everyone else while many Real Gm posters unfortunately know more about basketball than him, and having a job because your owner is dirt cheap even though you don't make much (and due to Covid). The only benefit will be drafting position next year in a shortened season most likely.
Real Gm ers think they know more about basketball then Boylen lol. Let’s not get carried away here he isn’t a random bum. Boylen had been coaching(mostly as an assistant) since the 80s with a lot of NBA experience. Sure he may not be the best coach for the bulls but he knows a hell lot more basketball than all of us on this board.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,703

Post#13 » by dougthonus » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:13 am

Red8911 wrote:Real Gm ers think they know more about basketball then Boylen lol. Let’s not get carried away here he isn’t a random bum. Boylen had been coaching(mostly as an assistant) since the 80s with a lot of NBA experience. Sure he may not be the best coach for the bulls but he knows a hell lot more basketball than all of us on this board.

I'm not pro-Boylen, but I agree that so much of the criticism and hyperbole around him makes me come to his defense frequently. So many of these opinions are just insane.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,224

Post#14 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:57 am

Red8911 wrote:
othawhitemeat wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:

Real Gm ers think they know more about basketball then Boylen lol. Let’s not get carried away here he isn’t a random bum. Boylen had been coaching(mostly as an assistant) since the 80s with a lot of NBA experience. Sure he may not be the best coach for the bulls but he knows a hell lot more basketball than all of us on this board.

Years of experience doesn’t remotely equate to success in any profession, despite what elders may have you believe. It certainly can, but talent and IQ will trump experience. Brad Stevens resume wasn’t close to Boylens when he left college, and his abilities run circles around his elder Boylen. Being an assistant coach for long periods of time guarantees nothing.

Half of the battle of a head coach today is getting a group of 20 year olds to play the best basketball they can. That includes leading them, relating to them, teaching them, knowing when to push them and when to pull back. Boylen has failed in these areas so many times it’s difficult to keep track. He has the typical personality of a boomer, his brain is a step too slow for a head coach position but his ego will always tell him otherwise. It’s amazing he can tie his own shoes, regardless of how long his resume says he’s been in this industry.

I don’t doubt that Boylen knows more than 90% of message board posters when it comes to basketball. In no way does that make him a good head coach.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#15 » by Ralphb07 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:59 am

dougthonus wrote:
Red8911 wrote:Real Gm ers think they know more about basketball then Boylen lol. Let’s not get carried away here he isn’t a random bum. Boylen had been coaching(mostly as an assistant) since the 80s with a lot of NBA experience. Sure he may not be the best coach for the bulls but he knows a hell lot more basketball than all of us on this board.

I'm not pro-Boylen, but I agree that so much of the criticism and hyperbole around him makes me come to his defense frequently. So many of these opinions are just insane.

Boylen is a good coach. He’s just not a good head coach, which not many assistants are. When his Bulls tenure is up he will get an assistant job fairly easy.
othawhitemeat
Veteran
And1: 757

Post#16 » by othawhitemeat » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:08 am

Red8911 wrote:
othawhitemeat wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:

I was being semi sarcastic. I will say his coaching experience seems to be mainly hob bobbing off others sucess. Did you see his coaching at Utah? Many d3 coaches could have done a better job than that. The only reason he got this job is he threw Houberg under the bus and got on GarPaxs good side by saying he was hard nose. Have you seen how he basically sucks up to his bosses everywhere and uses Pops name to get where he is. I mean he is sucking up to his current bosses but has no real plan.
keloms
Veteran
And1: 1,933

Post#17 » by keloms » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:30 am

Would not be surprised at all. Next year is a complete transition / blow up the roster season so they're not going to be motivated to hire someone new and pay two coaches unless it's the coach of their dreams and this is their only shot at him.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Post#18 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:19 am

If Boylen keeps his job nothing about this organization has changed. He will never be a head coach again.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#19 » by TheStig » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:16 am

85Bears wrote:(I posted this earlier today)

Problem with your logic is neither of those guys are coming here and if they were interested, they'd talk to guys like Lavine and Lauri who wouldn't exactly give glowing recommendations of their time here with Jimbo and how neither FO listened about it.
nomorezorro
RealGM
And1: 8,880

Post#20 » by nomorezorro » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:43 am

dougthonus wrote:

i have to say, the devil's advocating / pushback against anti-boylen stuff is...insane to me?

he has nearly two full years of head coaching experience and his tenure has been an abject failure.
he is widely seen as a punchline.
his players have shown open disdain for him.
the only reason he got a head coaching job is because he was already employed here when we fired someone else.
it is reasonable to believe that "price" and "loyalty to the franchise/front office" played a bigger role than "coaching ability" in the team's decision to retain him for a second year.
his only head coaching experience before this was at a mid-major college where he flamed out after his players showed open disdain for him.
if he got fired, he would draw no interest on the head coaching market.

he stinks. he very plainly obviously stinks. there is no case to be made for him, only a boring "he's not the only problem!" or "coaching isn't even really that important" argument that ignores the fact that we should obviously expect better from the head coach of our favored basketball team
WookieOnRitalin wrote:Game 1. It's where the series is truly 0-0.

Return to Chicago Bulls