ImageImageImageImageImage

Free Agent Talk

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#901 » by wco81 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 10:55 pm

Harris will likely attract multiyear deals over $10 million per?
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,181

Post#902 » by xdrta+ » Wed Jul 8, 2020 11:12 pm

wco81 wrote:Harris will likely attract multiyear deals over $10 million per?

Even the Nets, with his Early Bird rights, can offer him anything up to $13M for the first year in a multi-year contract.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,136

Post#903 » by wco81 » Thu Jul 9, 2020 1:33 am

But maybe Kyrie will drive him out or convince front office that Harris isn't a keeper.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#904 » by ChuckDurn » Thu Jul 9, 2020 6:06 am

ILOVEIT wrote:Joe Harris from the Nets....perfect back up scorer for Curry and Klay. I actually think (recall the three point contest when he beat Curry) that he is on or just below their level in three point shooting. Big body that can drive and create and is a FA.

Marc Gasol. Perfect vet center.

Not sure how the Warriors get that done....but they could work to acquire someone elses mid level or do a sign and trade for Warriors player plus a second round pick for Joe Harris. Perhaps move Looney or Chris (if they decide to draft Wiseman) in a side and trade for Harris. I think just having made a deal with the Nets and being in the Eastern conference, both teams might be interested.

If Warriors could grab these two players I think they win the chip next year.
Curry, Klay, Wiggins, Green, Gasol
Bowman, Paschall, Joe Harris, Chris, Looney

Draft pick? If you have the above lineup you draft the best talent period...regardless of position. Wiseman would be great for grooming under Gasol but I take the best available talent.

I think the Warriors have a different path to the title next year, but sharing some of the ideas here.

1. Convince Gasol to sign with us for the MLE. (Note: I think this is unlikely, but would be fantastic.)
2. Trade our first-round pick to Boston for Marcus Smart (absorbed into TPE) and 1 or more of their first-round picks. (Currently they have #17, #26, and #30.) Quality of picks coming back to Warriors would be based on which pick we’re sending out - if we’re sending out the #1, I’d probably want to get the #17 and one of the other picks as well.
3. Sign Glenn Robinson to a vet minimum contract.

Smart is stout enough as a defender that he can hound many 3’s and some 4’s (in addition to all guards). He also has significantly improved his 3 to not be a liability on offense.

Not sure there’s very many teams that could put out a team like the following, on both offense and defense:
Starters: Curry / Klay / Wiggins / Draymond / Gasol
Bench: Smart / Poole / GR3 / Paschall / Looney / Chriss
+ 1-2 rookies + Smailagic
Fringe (maybe on team, maybe not): Bowman / Mulder / Toscano-Anderson
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
B-King
Rookie
And1: 203

Post#905 » by B-King » Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:52 am

It will be interesting.

Warriors have 13 players on the roster (10 with guaranteed money) for 2021, 3 draft picks, MLE, and $17.2M TPE.

Toscano-Anderson is gone for sure and they need to trade away a 2nd round pick. Mulder, Bowman or 2nd round pick on the bubble.

I think teams are going to want to clear cap space and the TPE will be very interesting.

For FA, I'll submit Whiteside, Baynes & Katner to the list of consideration. The latter two being a much smaller spend than the full MLE.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#906 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:00 pm

B-King wrote:It will be interesting.

Warriors have 13 players on the roster (10 with guaranteed money) for 2021, 3 draft picks, MLE, and $17.2M TPE.

Toscano-Anderson is gone for sure and they need to trade away a 2nd round pick. Mulder, Bowman or 2nd round pick on the bubble.

I think teams are going to want to clear cap space and the TPE will be very interesting.

For FA, I'll submit Whiteside, Baynes & Katner to the list of consideration. The latter two being a much smaller spend than the full MLE.

There is still talk of roster expansion for next year going on.
B-King
Rookie
And1: 203

Post#907 » by B-King » Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:10 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
B-King wrote:It will be interesting.

There is still talk of roster expansion for next year going on.

I haven't heard any chatter for 2021. The potential increase to 17 spots is for the restart. I'd be interested to see what the talk is as it relates to next seasons roster.
kingcong95
Junior
And1: 129

Post#908 » by kingcong95 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:12 pm

ChuckDurn wrote:
ILOVEIT wrote:Joe Harris from the Nets....perfect back up scorer for Curry and Klay. I actually think (recall the three point contest when he beat Curry) that he is on or just below their level in three point shooting. Big body that can drive and create and is a FA.

Not sure how the Warriors get that done....but they could work to acquire someone elses mid level or do a sign and trade for Warriors player plus a second round pick for Joe Harris. Perhaps move Looney or Chris (if they decide to draft Wiseman) in a side and trade for Harris. I think just having made a deal with the Nets and being in the Eastern conference, both teams might be interested.

Draft pick? If you have the above lineup you draft the best talent period...regardless of position. Wiseman would be great for grooming under Gasol but I take the best available talent.

I think the Warriors have a different path to the title next year, but sharing some of the ideas here.

1. Convince Gasol to sign with us for the MLE. (Note: I think this is unlikely, but would be fantastic.)
2. Trade our first-round pick to Boston for Marcus Smart (absorbed into TPE) and 1 or more of their first-round picks. (Currently they have #17, #26, and #30.) Quality of picks coming back to Warriors would be based on which pick we’re sending out - if we’re sending out the #1, I’d probably want to get the #17 and one of the other picks as well.

Smart is stout enough as a defender that he can hound many 3’s and some 4’s (in addition to all guards). He also has significantly improved his 3 to not be a liability on offense.

Not sure there’s very many teams that could put out a team like the following, on both offense and defense:

I think Aron Baynes might be an easier MLE target.
I proposed a trade of Smart for pick swap to 17 on an I Know What They Should Do This Summer post, and am currently getting R O A S T E D. The Celtics aren't in love with any of the top picks in this year's draft.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#909 » by ChuckDurn » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:05 am

kingcong95 wrote:
ChuckDurn wrote:

I think Aron Baynes might be an easier MLE target.
I proposed a trade of Smart for pick swap to 17 on an I Know What They Should Do This Summer post, and am currently getting R O A S T E D. The Celtics aren't in love with any of the top picks in this year's draft.

If the Celtics trade Smart, it’s not because they like any of the picks.... it’s because they’re getting killed financially due to a change in the salary cap, and Smart is getting sacrificed for lower-priced draft compensation. I’d expect their fans to be ticked at the idea, but that doesn’t mean that it might not be a reality.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 360

Post#910 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:09 pm

Looks like Dubs are looking for a backup PG, and I'm sure they're going to go for a budget/bargain pickup. Not a sexy suggestion, but maybe Michael Carter Williams (Orlando; UFA this offseason)?

I'd say he's more like Shaun Livingston as his outside shot isn't great. I think his defensive instincts are decent, but he only measures about 6'7" wingspan for a 6'5-6'6" guard. He can handle the ball a bit, so that's a plus. He's by no means going to make an impact, just another okay/solid ball-handler to have.
Commodor
Analyst
And1: 957

Post#911 » by Commodor » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:00 pm

AdonalFoyle4Prez wrote:Looks like Dubs are looking for a backup PG, and I'm sure they're going to go for a budget/bargain pickup. Not a sexy suggestion, but maybe Michael Carter Williams (Orlando; UFA this offseason)?

I'd say he's more like Shaun Livingston as his outside shot isn't great. I think his defensive instincts are decent, but he only measures about 6'7" wingspan for a 6'5-6'6" guard. He can handle the ball a bit, so that's a plus. He's by no means going to make an impact, just another okay/solid ball-handler to have.

Personally I've been thinking he could be a solid Livingston replacement since beginning of last season.

As long as he's on a vet min, I have no problem with it.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#912 » by SF_Warriors » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:12 pm

Looking at Teague or dragic for back up PG role

Maybe Snell or Etwaun Moore as backup wings?
azwfan
RealGM
And1: 3,742

Post#913 » by azwfan » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:22 pm

If we’re prioritizing backup PG, i would expect someone better than MCW. That guy doesn’t look very good to me. I wouldnt mind him on a non-guaranteed deal though to push Bowman / Mulder for that last guard on the roster spot.
LF75 wrote: It was a dumb idea..And yes I'm a dick.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#914 » by azwfan » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:36 pm

SF_Warriors wrote:Looking at Teague or dragic for back up PG role

If we’re talking vet minimum type guys, im thinking Holiday, GR3, or Bazemore.
Im okay with Moore or Snell (TPE) also.

Its clear to me though that these are the types that we need on the roster to push Bowman, Mulder, Toscano-Anderson, 2nd rd picks back to the dleague.

If no trades are made, and lets say we draft Avdija...

Curry, Poole, Bowman
Klay, Mulder, ???
Wiggins, Avdija, Toscano-Anderson
Green, Paschall, Smiley
Chriss, Looney, Bender

If we can get Baynes with the TPMLE... that pushes Bender out.

If we can get lets say Bazemore and Moore, that pushes 1 of Mulder / Toscano-Anderson out and the other to the end of the bench.

If we can sign MCW, he competes with Bowman and Mulder- let the best man win.

That would give us a more complete team without making any big moves.

Curry, Poole, MCW
Klay, Bazemore, Mulder
Wiggins, Avdija, Moore
Green, Paschall, Smiley
Baynes, Chriss, Looney

2nd rd picks are signed to 2-way deals.

Toscano-Anderson, Bowman, and Bender are free agents.
SF_Warriors
General Manager

Post#915 » by SF_Warriors » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:46 pm

azwfan wrote:

Its clear to me though that these are the types that we need on the roster to push Bowman, Mulder, Toscano-Anderson, 2nd rd picks back to the dleague.

Curry, Poole, Bowman
Klay, Mulder, ???
Green, Paschall, Smiley
Chriss, Looney, Bender

If we can get lets say Bazemore and Moore, that pushes 1 of Mulder / Toscano-Anderson out and the other to the end of the bench.

Curry, Poole, MCW
Klay, Bazemore, Mulder
Wiggins, Avdija, Moore
Green, Paschall, Smiley
Baynes, Chriss, Looney

Ah yes, I was thinking bazemore too but forgot to mention him! I just in general want a veteran backup wing on the roster. Snell and Moore were my choices because both guys are career 39% 3 point shooters.

Baynes would be a very nice get. Hell, he would be the best center on the team and Lord knows we need a starting C in the worst way right now.

MCW..I am not convinced but wouldnt mind him for the min. I am hoping we can get dragic for cheap as he is 34 but I am not holding my breath.

I like your moves and hopefully we will get some of these guys on the roster as they will all be able to help.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#916 » by azwfan » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:52 pm

SF_Warriors wrote:
azwfan wrote:

Curry, Poole, Bowman
Klay, Mulder, ???
Green, Paschall, Smiley
Chriss, Looney, Bender

Curry, Poole, MCW
Klay, Bazemore, Mulder
Wiggins, Avdija, Moore
Green, Paschall, Smiley
Baynes, Chriss, Looney

Ah yes, I was thinking bazemore too but forgot to mention him! I just in general want a veteran backup wing on the roster. Snell and Moore were my choices because both guys are career 39% 3 point shooters.

Baynes would be a very nice get. Hell, he would be the best center on the team and Lord knows we need a starting C in the worst way right now.

MCW..I am not convinced but wouldnt mind him for the min. I am hoping we can get dragic for cheap as he is 34 but I am not holding my breath.

I like your moves and hopefully we will get some of these guys on the roster as they will all be able to help.

Agree on MCW, but i figure he should be better than Bowman. I wonder how much Teague would cost cause he’s definitely preferred over MCW. I feel like Dragic would be expensive, but he’s also preferred over what we got. (Which I guess isnt too difficult to do, but i shouldnt cringe too much if i have to see one in our uniform during a playoff game).
SF_Warriors
General Manager

Post#917 » by SF_Warriors » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:00 am

azwfan wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
azwfan wrote:If we’re talking vet minimum type guys, im thinking Holiday, GR3, or Bazemore.

Curry, Poole, Bowman
Klay, Mulder, ???
Green, Paschall, Smiley
Chriss, Looney, Bender

Curry, Poole, MCW
Klay, Bazemore, Mulder
Wiggins, Avdija, Moore
Green, Paschall, Smiley
Baynes, Chriss, Looney

Agree on MCW, but i figure he should be better than Bowman. I wonder how much Teague would cost cause he’s definitely preferred over MCW. I feel like Dragic would be expensive, but he’s also preferred over what we got. (Which I guess isnt too difficult to do, but i shouldnt cringe too much if i have to see one in our uniform during a playoff game).

Augustin would be somewhere on my list. He was at 61% TS the two seasons prior to this one and over 40% 3pt shooting as well. He might be a better choice than teague. I wouldnt mind getting both MCW and another one of DJ, Dragic, Teague. Personally, I would want a better backup guard but our options are limited right now barring the draft.
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,694

Post#918 » by Warriors Analyst » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:24 am

azwfan wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
azwfan wrote:If we’re talking vet minimum type guys, im thinking Holiday, GR3, or Bazemore.

Curry, Poole, Bowman
Klay, Mulder, ???
Green, Paschall, Smiley
Chriss, Looney, Bender

Curry, Poole, MCW
Klay, Bazemore, Mulder
Wiggins, Avdija, Moore
Green, Paschall, Smiley
Baynes, Chriss, Looney

Back up point guard doesn’t feel like something that should be a big priority. Most point guards, in the traditional sense, are gonna be smaller than Steph. I don’t think it makes sense to spend more than the minimum on someone who will barely, if ever, share the court with Steph; Kerr only really started playing Curry and Quinn Cook together our of necessity when injuries hit. We have several years of sample size showing that Kerr is reluctant to put two small guys together in the backcourt.

Now an another creator or guy who can get his own shot off the dribble I am super down with. But I’d much rather that come at the wing than a 6’3 guy who will play 15 minutes max. Beyond that I think Kerr is probably going to use Wiggins on ball a lot to initiate to make use of his drive and kick ability. Wiggins on ball also makes his poor shooting less of a spacing issue and you can get away with having 3 guys in the backcourt that are over 6’5. It’s easy to imagine Wiggins playing in bench lineups with Klay, Lee, Paschall and a stretchy big like Baynes or Leonard.

I’ve seen Snell mentioned here a few times. I’ve watched most of his Milwaukee games over the last four years. GRIII is better than him and cheaper. Snell’s a standstill shooter with little ability to put the ball on the deck. Not much of a pull-up game and he’s not a very high volume shooter. GRIII is on my marginally better at the whole dribbling thing, but there’s more upside to mine out him. Snell is Harrison Barnes without the Adonis figure and straight line explosiveness.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#919 » by azwfan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:09 am

SF_Warriors wrote:
azwfan wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:

Augustin would be somewhere on my list. He was at 61% TS the two seasons prior to this one and over 40% 3pt shooting as well. He might be a better choice than teague. I wouldnt mind getting both MCW and another one of DJ, Dragic, Teague. Personally, I would want a better backup guard but our options are limited right now barring the draft.

I like all of these guys for the minimum. If they cost more than that, then I’d start looking at MCW (who I think is a lot closer to Bowman than we’d like.
azwfan
RealGM

Post#920 » by azwfan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:12 am

Warriors Analyst wrote:
azwfan wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:

Back up point guard doesn’t feel like something that should be a big priority. Most point guards, in the traditional sense, are gonna be smaller than Steph. I don’t think it makes sense to spend more than the minimum on someone who will barely, if ever, share the court with Steph; Kerr only really started playing Curry and Quinn Cook together our of necessity when injuries hit. We have several years of sample size showing that Kerr is reluctant to put two small guys together in the backcourt.

Now an another creator or guy who can get his own shot off the dribble I am super down with. But I’d much rather that come at the wing than a 6’3 guy who will play 15 minutes max. Beyond that I think Kerr is probably going to use Wiggins on ball a lot to initiate to make use of his drive and kick ability. Wiggins on ball also makes his poor shooting less of a spacing issue and you can get away with having 3 guys in the backcourt that are over 6’5. It’s easy to imagine Wiggins playing in bench lineups with Klay, Lee, Paschall and a stretchy big like Baynes or Leonard.

I’ve seen Snell mentioned here a few times. I’ve watched most of his Milwaukee games over the last four years. GRIII is better than him and cheaper. Snell’s a standstill shooter with little ability to put the ball on the deck. Not much of a pull-up game and he’s not a very high volume shooter. GRIII is on my marginally better at the whole dribbling thing, but there’s more upside to mine out him. Snell is Harrison Barnes without the Adonis figure and straight line explosiveness.

Agreed. The “priority” comes from a fluff piece in the Athletic and in the wiretap.

Don’t know about Snell, but I’ve never been that impressed with him. I will say he should be better than JTA though.

Return to Golden State Warriors