ImageImageImageImageImage

Free Agent Talk

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

B-King
Rookie
And1: 204

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#921 » by B-King » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:30 am

FA PGs I would look at on a low cost contract - Kris Dunn and Frank Mason III. Dunn will be a RFA and the Bulls might be ready to move on.
BballIntellect
Junior
And1: 151

Post#922 » by BballIntellect » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:44 am

Getting a backup point guard isn't as essential as getting another wing but we absolutely need someone who can play that role too. Having Poole and Wiggins run the offense in non Steph minutes will be brutal, especially in the playoffs. (I think Wiggins can turn out to become passable in that regard but we need more.)

Getting another ball handler who can create for himself and others in spot minutes and help carry the offense to a competent level when Steph is on the bench is vital. We can't keep getting beat when Steph isn't on the floor like we have in past years because the margin will be much thinner.

Also it doesn't matter if the addition is listed as a point guard as long as it's a player who can help create offense for the team.
vetmin
Junior
And1: 131

Post#923 » by vetmin » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:51 am

azwfan wrote:If we’re talking vet minimum type guys, im thinking Holiday, GR3, or Bazemore.

I dont think any of those dudes are vet min guys. I didnt watch much of Holiday but everything Ive heard about his time with the Pacers has been very positive. Bazemore less so but hes likely an MLE guy and GR3 will probably require at least some of our MLE (parroting Wes Goldberg here, but I think hes right).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,142

Post#924 » by TB » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:54 pm

I don't really see the need for a backup PG, especially one as crappy as MCW.

We don't have roster spots available.
We need backup wings and a center with our pick/MLE/TPE.
Bowman/Poole are perfectly fine as our backups.

Now, if a minimum PG is better than Ky/Poole, sure we can drop someone. But MCW ain't it.
BballIntellect
Junior

Post#925 » by BballIntellect » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:06 pm

Bowman is a fringe NBA player and Poole was one of the worst players in the league last year. MCW is nothing special but he's easily better than both ot them.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#926 » by GQ Hot Dog » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:27 pm

BballIntellect wrote:Bowman is a fringe NBA player and Poole was one of the worst players in the league last year. MCW is nothing special but he's easily better than both ot them.

I think that's a bit of a lazy take. In the last 13 games he played 27mpg and scored 14ppg on 47% from the field with 4apg to 2topg with 2.5rpg. It he can maintain that sort of scoring efficiency with a similar 2/1 assist/turnover ratio with fewer minutes, he's certainly not one of the worst players in the league and could possibly become our regular backup PG.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,142

Post#927 » by TB » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:28 pm

BballIntellect wrote:Bowman is a fringe NBA player and Poole was one of the worst players in the league last year. MCW is nothing special but he's easily better than both ot them.

Looking into it more, you are correct on all of this. I still like the potential of Bowman/Poole as backup PGs and don't see it as a huge priority. Both should be much improved in year 2 considering they got a ton of run as rookies.

Also, I may be off on MCW, I haven't watched him play a ton recently.
BballIntellect
Junior

Post#928 » by BballIntellect » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:34 pm

thinkingwarriors wrote:

I think that's a bit of a lazy take. In the last 13 games he played 27mpg and scored 14ppg on 47% from the field with 4apg to 2topg with 2.5rpg. It he can maintain that sort of scoring efficiency with a similar 2/1 assist/turnover ratio with fewer minutes, he's certainly not one of the worst players in the league and could possibly become our regular backup PG.

Poole definitely showed improvements towards the end of the season but you also have to remember that other teams weren't going as hard on the Warriors because it was basically an automatic W for them. I'm always wary of players who show out and suddenly look like all stars in March and April when their teams have nothing to play for anymore. I've already seen it with Josh Jackson and Elfrid Payton in past years. A lot of those players regress to the mean the following season.

I expect Poole to be better going forward than what he was for the first 50 games of this season but I don't expect him to make such a dramatic jump that he becomes a positive player next year. You can't count on him with what he's shown so far.
AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 362

Post#929 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:36 pm

TB wrote:

Looking into it more, you are correct on all of this. I still like the potential of Bowman/Poole as backup PGs and don't see it as a huge priority. Both should be much improved in year 2 considering they got a ton of run as rookies.

Also, I may be off on MCW, I haven't watched him play a ton recently.

Thing with MCW is that he's a big guard that doesn't use his height to his advantage (Lack of post work? Too thin/skinny?). And he's a very streaky shooter and can be a lousy finisher. But, he can be a pesky defender due to his timing and anticipation (Can read the passing lanes pretty decent/well).

I just don't think Warriors are primed to get a more serviceable backup PG. Only if they can shed or trade a bit of contracts, then there's a possibility.
SF_Warriors
General Manager
And1: 3,794

Post#930 » by SF_Warriors » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:26 pm

azwfan wrote:
SF_Warriors wrote:
azwfan wrote:Agree on MCW, but i figure he should be better than Bowman. I wonder how much Teague would cost cause he’s definitely preferred over MCW. I feel like Dragic would be expensive, but he’s also preferred over what we got. (Which I guess isnt too difficult to do, but i shouldnt cringe too much if i have to see one in our uniform during a playoff game).

Augustin would be somewhere on my list. He was at 61% TS the two seasons prior to this one and over 40% 3pt shooting as well. He might be a better choice than teague. I wouldnt mind getting both MCW and another one of DJ, Dragic, Teague. Personally, I would want a better backup guard but our options are limited right now barring the draft.

I like all of these guys for the minimum. If they cost more than that, then I’d start looking at MCW (who I think is a lot closer to Bowman than we’d like.

Yes, minimum is the key word. Moneywise the team has more pressing needs elsewhere
Commodor
Analyst
And1: 957

Post#931 » by Commodor » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:49 am

MCW seems like a great fit next to both our guards.

He’s a bigger defender who can help rest/hide Curry on defense.

He’s a decent ball distributor who can allow Klay to run off-ball movement.

If the price is right, he can be a versatile tool.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,199

Post#932 » by wco81 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:54 pm

Jakob Poetl is an RFA. Not clear if Spurs plan to keep him.

But he's in the last year of his rookie deal and is only playing 16-17 minutes for them, less than he played in Toronto.

He may prefer to leave unless Aldridge leaves first.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#933 » by Scoots1994 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:23 pm

Wing, big, then PG, and no thanks to MCW.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#934 » by The Maestro » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:26 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:Wing, big, then PG, and no thanks to MCW.

MCW would be solid for the minimum. Didn’t know he was a free agent.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#935 » by The Maestro » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:26 pm

Commodor wrote:MCW seems like a great fit next to both our guards.

He’s a bigger defender who can help rest/hide Curry on defense.

He’s a decent ball distributor who can allow Klay to run off-ball movement.

If the price is right, he can be a versatile tool.

Real nice replacement for Livingston.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#936 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:34 am

Evan Turner makes more sense than Carter Williams. Turner on a vet min would be a good fit at both backup guard spots as well as small ball SF like Shaun often played.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
wco81
RealGM

Post#937 » by wco81 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:57 am

Livington is so much more springy than those other guys. Turner is better at backing defenders down but he's not as quick with the ball.

Maybe Livingston would be interested in coming back.
wco81
RealGM

Post#938 » by wco81 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:09 pm

Maybe not for 2020-21 but the following year, NO will have to make a decision on whether to keep both Holiday and Ball or not re-sign Ball to big money.

If Ball continues to shoot well from 3, he would be a useful sub, able to defend, be a playmaker, shoot the 3.

Either Pelicans have to pay Ball, who's making $8.7 million this year and $11 million next year or they try to low-ball him.

Holiday is making $27, 26 and has a player option for $27 in 2021-22.

They are probably going to pay Ingram a fair bit of money but they're going to dump $25 million in salaries with Moore and Favors both RFAs.

So they will have cap space to pay Ingram and they don't have to worry about Zion for 3 more years after this one.

Small market club so probably not interested in paying the luxury tax unless they have a big year next year, win like 45-50 games in the West.

Likely after next season or during next season, they will probably try to move Holiday. That's another possibility but he will have $53-54 million in remaining contract to pay.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,691

Post#939 » by DAWill1128 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:21 pm

If we take a swing at Crowder and Harkless and miss I think Roberson should be a target, his shooting looks improved and he can defend 1-4.
Commodor
Analyst
And1: 957

Post#940 » by Commodor » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:07 am

I wonder if Roberson would be interested in a change of scenery. Depending which way they go this offseason he may not fit OKC’s timeline.

It would be risky, but if we strike out on some of the top choices (Gasol, Millsap, etc) he could be a MLE option. Vet min would be preferable though.

Return to Golden State Warriors