ImageImageImageImage

John Denton Appreciation Thread

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

John Denton Appreciation Thread 

Post#1 » by Def Swami » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:21 pm

Unfortunately, the Magic made several layoffs (rumored to be around 10% of workforce), which included John Denton. I feel sorry for all those who lost their job. It's a shame that the DeVos Family wouldn't take care of their employees in this turbulent time.

Read on Twitter

Regardless of what you think about the coverage of the team, Denton gave us 10 years of content. Our media coverage is so limited compared to most other NBA teams. We've basically relied on Josh Robbins and John Denton for this entire time for any local coverage. It's a shame.

Read on Twitter
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,958

Re: John Denton Appreciation Thread 

Post#2 » by Xatticus » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:41 pm

That's unfortunate. Perhaps it is a blessing in disguise though. I really enjoyed reading his stuff before he became a part of the Orlando Magic's PR department. I really hope he finds a landing spot where he can continue to cover the Magic.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Magic#1
General Manager
And1: 1,102

Post#3 » by Magic#1 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:43 pm

Def Swami wrote:Unfortunately, the Magic made several layoffs (rumored to be around 10% of workforce), which included John Denton. I feel sorry for all those who lost their job. It's a shame that the DeVos Family couldn't take care of their employees in this turbulent time.

Read on Twitter

Regardless of what you think about the coverage of the team, Denton gave us 10 years of content. Our media coverage is so limited compared to most other NBA teams. We've basically relied on Josh Robbins and John Denton for this entire time for any local coverage. It's a shame.

Read on Twitter

Change "couldn't" to "wouldn't."
It's too bad about Denton. He at least hustled to get content. I'm surprised they let him go and wonder what they're going to do to replace that coverage.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#4 » by j-ragg » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:05 pm

Wasn't a big fan of Denton but sucks when anyone loses their job.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,688

Post#5 » by basketballRob » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:29 pm

He used to cover the Magic for Florida today.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#6 » by fendilim » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:45 pm

Magic#1 wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Unfortunately, the Magic made several layoffs (rumored to be around 10% of workforce), which included John Denton. I feel sorry for all those who lost their job. It's a shame that the DeVos Family couldn't take care of their employees in this turbulent time.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Change "couldn't" to "wouldn't."
It's too bad about Denton. He at least hustled to get content. I'm surprised they let him go and wonder what they're going to do to replace that coverage.

I suppose he was getting paid a lot more than the other guys writing for the team
zuppafly
Assistant Coach
And1: 990

Post#7 » by zuppafly » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:53 pm

Xatticus wrote:That's unfortunate. Perhaps it is a blessing in disguise though. I really enjoyed reading his stuff before he became a part of the Orlando Magic's PR department. I really hope he finds a landing spot where he can continue to cover the Magic.
Exactly. His pieces before joining the organization were the best in content and depth. Hopefully for everyone he gets back on that track.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#8 » by OrlandO » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:00 pm

Sucks for Denton. 10 years is a good run for someone who wrote fluff pieces and answered his own questions though. O-Sen still hasn't filled the void left by schmitz and robbins' departures... maybe they should hire Denton and unleash him.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,152

Post#9 » by Knightro » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:07 pm

The decision to do mass layoffs by the Magic organization is absolutely disgraceful.

A billionaire family claiming short-term “losses” on a sports franchise worth 1.5B billion-dollars that they bought for just 85 million is just so ridiculous it makes my blood boil.

According to Forbes, Magic have picked up an extra 100M in annual revenue in the last 5 years, from 134M to 244M.

Forbes also estimates their profits at 70M annually.

They are a privately held business responsible to no stockholders, so a one-time or even two or three-time quarterly loss is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

This genuinely makes me upset. Not just for Denton, but for every single person who got needlessly laid off.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#10 » by basketballRob » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:32 pm

Knightro wrote:The decision to do mass layoffs by the Magic organization is absolutely disgraceful.

A billionaire family claiming short-term “losses” on a sports franchise worth 1.5B billion-dollars that they bought for just 85 million is just so ridiculous it makes my blood boil.

According to Forbes, Magic have picked up an extra 100M in annual revenue in the last 5 years, from 134M to 244M.

They are a privately held business responsible to no stockholders, so a one-time or even two or three-time quarterly loss is irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

This genuinely makes me upset. Not just for Denton, but for every single person who got needlessly laid off.
I wish they'd sell the team. I bet they have some dirt, like Sterling did. I doubt they'd make it in a big market with a bunch investigative reporters.

thelead
RealGM
And1: 25,499

Post#11 » by thelead » Sat Jul 18, 2020 7:17 pm

Knightro wrote:The decision to do mass layoffs by the Magic organization is absolutely disgraceful.

That's trickle-down economics at work. Underpaid individuals taking the brunt of the economic downturn while the billionaires are sitting on the profits made by the underpaid individuals. I don't want to hear about tax dollars going to pay for arenas for these selfish bastards.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#12 » by Def Swami » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:47 am

Miss you, Stan
Read on Twitter
Dubious Kitty
Sophomore
And1: 161

Post#13 » by Dubious Kitty » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:29 am

This was such a disgraceful move by the ownership. They should sell the team.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,333

Post#14 » by PrimeThyme » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:36 am

Embarrassing. I can't stand the owners of this team, but if they sell it off I would have serious worries that a new owner would move the team. In a situation similar to Seattle where the owner(s) who took over that franchise even promised not to move it I belive yet still did.

On the flip side, I think the DeVos family and Martins (who is basically the day to day owner) are arguably the biggest reasons why the last decade has been as miserable as its been for our franchise and it would be hard for me to argue that it wouldn't be worth the risk.
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#15 » by TheGlyde » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:20 am

Its a great post and a great sentiment.

Unfortunately, the people on top didn’t get there by sharing wealth and having compassion for others.

There are positives to capitalism but this is one of the negatives.

Specifically talking about Denton, it really sucks.

Back in the golden days of this board he and I used to chat a bit on AOL instant messenger (remember that thing haha) and he was great with sharing inside info to help shoot down people posting junk on the board claiming they had ‘inside info’

Hopefully he gets picked up somewhere to support his family and preferably can continue to cover the Magic, or at least Basketball.
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,133

Post#16 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:30 pm

There are numerous reasons to dislike the DeVos, this is just adding more to the pile. I hope they sell the team to someone that wants to keep the here. They swear they are doing God's work....
aka: prorl
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#17 » by OrlandO » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:42 pm

The NBA, Blazers, Wolves and Spurs all did mass layoffs last month. I think the Jazz did so months ago.The Magic weren't the first and they won't be the last. Teams are playing basketball in one city in a bubble with outside staff and no fans, and it will likely take a year for the NBA to return to normal operating conditions for a number of reasons... it's unfortunate, but certain jobs have become unnecessary or redundant. Not surprised at all by layoffs.
Catledge
Starter
And1: 833

Post#18 » by Catledge » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:44 pm

Fun Denton factoid: He was the first to break the T-Mac trade story while at FL Today.

I bet he could be a pretty good news-breaker for NBA stuff with the relationships he built during 10 years of being a company man.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,333

Post#19 » by PrimeThyme » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:31 pm

Denton will land on his feet somewhere. He's a pretty talented writer with a long resume who has covered this team for years and years. What I feel for are those other 30 employees who may not be in the same situation. It's extremely tough times for many people right now and it's sad that it came to this.
basketballRob
RealGM

Post#20 » by basketballRob » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:38 pm

TheGlyde wrote:

Its a great post and a great sentiment.

Unfortunately, the people on top didn’t get there by sharing wealth and having compassion for others.

There are positives to capitalism but this is one of the negatives.

Specifically talking about Denton, it really sucks.

Back in the golden days of this board he and I used to chat a bit on AOL instant messenger (remember that thing haha) and he was great with sharing inside info to help shoot down people posting junk on the board claiming they had ‘inside info’

Hopefully he gets picked up somewhere to support his family and preferably can continue to cover the Magic, or at least Basketball.
He covered the Magic for years with Florida Today also.

Return to Orlando Magic