ImageImageImage

Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#341 » by Manocad » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:59 am

The_Irony wrote:Needless to say this is the biggest draft in years for Detroit. I hope they finally have someone who has the foresight to point out what this team needs the most.

I disagree but only based on the talent level in this year's draft. Will one or some of these players become legit NBA stars? Probably. But IMO there isn't a bona fide can't-miss player in the bunch. And I think that's a trend that will continue with the one-and-done principle, which to me is truly a double edged sword. I am not a fan of forcing athletes to stay in college when they are in no way, shape or form there to get a formal college education. But by the same token it makes it extremely difficult to draft effectively when the players have so little experience; more and more it seems like draft picks are about hope/potential rather than plug-and-play, proven capability. I don't think players are any more likely now to become NBA stars at 18-20 than they ever were; they're just entering the league sooner. I think the NBA would be better served if the D-league was truly used as a minor league to develop players rather than a place to stick them after they've struggled out of the gate in the NBA. It sucks watching a team ride a high draft pick for too long because there's big money wrapped up in them but the player just isn't ready for the NBA. Then their confidence and attitude get shot, and off to the D-league they go to either turn it around or fizzle out and die.

Simply put, short of the next Lebron James coming along I'm not sure there are going to be many drafts anymore that carry a lot more significance than any other because hope/chance/luck seems to be playing a lot bigger role now that we're dealing with mostly 18-20 year old kids, i.e. truly still KIDS. There's still a whole lot of both physical and mental growth that happens between age 18 and 23. Or doesn't happen, as the case may be, due to the way these kids are treated/handled/developed.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#342 » by MotownMadness » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:06 pm

Manocad wrote:
The_Irony wrote:Needless to say this is the biggest draft in years for Detroit. I hope they finally have someone who has the foresight to point out what this team needs the most.

I disagree but only based on the talent level in this year's draft. Will one or some of these players become legit NBA stars? Probably. But IMO there isn't a bona fide can't-miss player in the bunch. And I think that's a trend that will continue with the one-and-done principle, which to me is truly a double edged sword. I am not a fan of forcing athletes to stay in college when they are in no way, shape or form there to get a formal college education. But by the same token it makes it extremely difficult to draft effectively when the players have so little experience; more and more it seems like draft picks are about hope/potential rather than plug-and-play, proven capability. I don't think players are any more likely now to become NBA stars at 18-20 than they ever were; they're just entering the league sooner. I think the NBA would be better served if the D-league was truly used as a minor league to develop players rather than a place to stick them after they've struggled out of the gate in the NBA. It sucks watching a team ride a high draft pick for too long because there's big money wrapped up in them but the player just isn't ready for the NBA. Then their confidence and attitude get shot, and off to the D-league they go to either turn it around or fizzle out and die.

Simply put, short of the next Lebron James coming along I'm not sure there are going to be many drafts anymore that carry a lot more significance than any other because hope/chance/luck seems to be playing a lot bigger role now that we're dealing with mostly 18-20 year old kids, i.e. truly still KIDS. There's still a whole lot of both physical and mental growth that happens between age 18 and 23. Or doesn't happen, as the case may be, due to the way these kids are treated/handled/developed.

Our LeBron is coming in homegrown Emoni Bates. Just gotta be bad for a few more years (2023), lol.

The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#343 » by The_Irony » Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:59 pm

Manocad wrote:

I would also say the draft doesnt have a cant miss player but this draft is important to get right. its weavers first shot at the draft and theyve gotten it wrong every time beforehand. If they just got one of the picks right the Pistons would be less behind. they are very behind in terms of talent.

Even bad teams have a deaaron fox/bagley, devin booker/Ayton, trae young etc to be excited for and watch develop. Thats how bad this team is.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#344 » by rmfc » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:45 pm

Good analysis on Killian Hayes.

NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,297

Post#345 » by NotACat » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:53 pm

Pharaoh wrote:Find it funny that people have said they don't want Okoro because he can't shoot and then state they want Ball.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

Ball is a primary ball handler and excellent passer while Okoro would be playing off ball. Significant difference.
Black Lives Matter
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#346 » by MotownMadness » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:14 pm

NotACat wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Find it funny that people have said they don't want Okoro because he can't shoot and then state they want Ball.

Ball is a primary ball handler and excellent passer while Okoro would be playing off ball. Significant difference.

Well that guy certainly doesn't sound hopeful about Hayes. He is extremely left hand dominant though
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,297

Post#347 » by NotACat » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:16 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
NotACat wrote:

Well that guy certainly doesn't sound hopeful about Hayes. He is extremely left hand dominant though

He's also only turning 19 this month. I wouldn't worry too much about it and believe that he'll learn to be dominant on both sides of the floor. Ja Morant is extremely right hand dominant, but still very effective.
Black Lives Matter
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#348 » by MotownMadness » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:20 pm

NotACat wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
NotACat wrote:Ball is a primary ball handler and excellent passer while Okoro would be playing off ball. Significant difference.

He's also only turning 19 this month. I wouldn't worry too much about it and believe that he'll learn to be dominant on both sides of the floor. Ja Morant is extremely right hand dominant, but still very effective.

Yeah im sold on Hayes if we cant get Edwards already anyways.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 556

Post#349 » by LaSheed » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:44 pm

Projecting us with 33 million.

Trade Kennard/Rose to Phoenix for Rubio/#10. Saves them money (this year to go after FA PG (Vanfleet?) Rubio still owed 2yr/34million.

29 million left

Seen a Boston fan offer us Kanter/Poirer/#30 for '21 Lakers 2nd. Saves them 8 million.

21 million left.

#5-Killian Hayes PG/SG
#10-Devin Vassell SG/SF
#30-Paul Reed PF/C (unless a big drop like Porter Jr last year)

Resign wood 3 yr 48 million (17/1615)

Wood/Kanter/Patton/Poirer
Griffin/Sekou/Reed
Snell/Svi
Vassell/Brown/Thomas
Rubio/Hayes

We have a $5 million exception to use on a FA yet.

Couldn't find a home for Snell/Kanter and you can't have a roster of nothing but young players anyhow.

Then our rebuild of Hayes/Vassell/Sekou can start to look really nice adding a high '21 draft pick along with Griffin/Rubio being on 1 year deals.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,019

Post#350 » by bstein14 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:05 am

We should really consider being bad for one more year.

Let Wood, Kennard, Brown, Svi, Sekou, and our 2020 first rounder and maybe a young FA signing or two be our best players. Move Rose and try to move Blake, or get him a buyout at 80% of his current contract.

To really do this right we need one more bad year. Don't blow the money on a FA like FVV. Don't go out and try to be the 7th or 8th seed yet again. We really need just ONE MORE bad year.... best case scenario is for us to use that cap space to take on assets, possibly from teams trying to get under the tax or clear space to sign FAs.
TurboTitan
Starter
And1: 1,936

Post#351 » by TurboTitan » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:27 am

almost forgot to send my daily avoid avijda post today phew... HAYES OR NO PARTY
“We don't see ourselves as All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.” ~SHEED
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#352 » by Manocad » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:29 am

bstein14 wrote:We should really consider being bad for one more year.

Let Wood, Kennard, Brown, Svi, Sekou, and our 2020 first rounder and maybe a young FA signing or two be our best players. Move Rose and try to move Blake, or get him a buyout at 80% of his current contract.

To really do this right we need one more bad year. Don't blow the money on a FA like FVV. Don't go out and try to be the 7th or 8th seed yet again. We really need just ONE MORE bad year.... best case scenario is for us to use that cap space to take on assets, possibly from teams trying to get under the tax or clear space to sign FAs.

I'm definitely on board with that plan
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#353 » by MotownMadness » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:51 am

Nice new scouting video on Anthony Edwards from Mike Schmitz. Like how he really shows in depth that Harden like step back 3 and his 3 level scoring abilities with comparisons too guys like Mitchell.

Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#354 » by Pharaoh » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:37 am

NotACat wrote:

Exactly! Ball not being able to shoot at a respectable clip means the D can sag off him and which reduces his ability to pass or drive!

Okoro not hitting 3s at a respectable doesn't matter as much cause on offense you can have him hang in the corners while we run the offense through Blake, Rose, Luke etc

I view Ball as a liability until he can improve his shooting...like his brother before him it is possible but I don't think he'll be there at 5

vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#355 » by vic » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:44 am

Ball - at the end of the day hes a 6'8 pg with unteachable star talent. Makes everybody better. Luka/Kidd

Edwards- hungry big guard scorer, 2-way potential, harden/westbrook

Okoro - 2 way wing, iggy/wade (those are championship wings that "couldn't shoot"). Okoro is a championship wing whether we draft him or not. His mindset is proven and undebateable.

Vassel - 2 way wing, 3pt spacer

Little point guards are fun to watch but the way the game is refereed today - WINGS WIN CHIPS

If we can't get one of the Superstar BIG guards I want the best 2-way wings available.

I like Hayes as a player, but I want to see the Pistons winning Championships again!

I dont want to be another version of the Suns/Kings/Hawks with cute fun pgs and losing records... Ja Morant is winning - hes the exception because his team is well constructed with quality 2-way guys!

Thats my opinion. Get the 2- way Wings!
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#356 » by mattao313 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:41 pm

I like Edwards he may become Dion Waiters but he has the physical tools and talent to potentially become a good player.
Hayes I liked but I dont know if he has the physical tools to make it in the NBA, good size but just an average athlete.
Ball IDK just seems like all flash imo
Championships
bjones521
Pro Prospect
And1: 390

Post#357 » by bjones521 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:58 am

bstein14 wrote:We should really consider being bad for one more year.

This! I hope the Pistons tank another year but who knows. If you listen the Gores and Casey seems like we aren't trying to be good but if we get Rose and Griffin back 100% I think we may be the 4th/5th seed especially if we get Ball or Hayes to play the point.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Post#358 » by ducler » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:23 am

mattao313 wrote:I like Edwards he may become Dion Waiters but he has the physical tools and talent to potentially become a good player.
Hayes I liked but I dont know if he has the physical tools to make it in the NBA, good size but just an average athlete.
Ball IDK just seems like all flash imo
Yeah I also see Hayes as a backup in a good team at his best but I can be wrong.

Sent from my STF-L09 using RealGM mobile app
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,848

Post#359 » by tmorgan » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:38 am

One more year, eh? Done right, this is a two year tank minimum, more than likely three or four. We need literally everything unless Sekou gets his head straight and/or Wood really turns into a good starter.

I hope our new GM knows this and is allowed to do it. It's time to suck. That's OK.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 556

Post#360 » by LaSheed » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:34 am

Athletic wing that can't shoot fits exactly what OKC surrounded Westbrook around.

Okoro fits the pick. And man is he athletic. Im 100% ok with it because atleast his form is ok. Really really starting to lean that way.

If we come out with Hayes/Okoro/Edwards im happy.

Return to Detroit Pistons