Welcome Cam Johnson

Moderators: bwgood77, Qwigglez, lilfishi22

Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,801

Re: Welcome Cam Johnson 

Post#181 » by Saberestar » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:33 pm

Read on Twitter

I think that Cam "The Fro" Johnson will be our MIP in Orlando.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#182 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:02 pm

Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah I could see that. I really like Cam, he just feels like one of those guys who helps winning teams and will have a nice career.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,382

Post#183 » by bwgood77 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:43 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

Yeah I could see that. I really like Cam, he just feels like one of those guys who helps winning teams and will have a nice career.

He does look buff there...look at those arms.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager
And1: 6,087

Post#184 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:31 am

bwgood77 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Saberestar wrote:
Read on Twitter

He does look buff there...look at those arms.

I mean, boy wore a white shirt under his jersey last year. He was hiding twigs for sure.

I think he's gonna be a helluva player. I mean, I could see him hitting close to 44% from 3 on high volume within a couple years. Not a lot of players like that. All he needs to do is stay on the court.
RedIndian
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,807

Post#185 » by RedIndian » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:14 pm

Good stuff, I didn't love the Cam pick at the time, but he has a very valuable NBA skill and seems to be a high IQ player.

I worry about his injury issues, but I'm glad to hear he's working on his body. Now if he can add some ball-handling ability and start scoring off the bounce, his ceiling suddenly gets a lot higher.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager

Post#186 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:28 pm

RedIndian wrote:Good stuff, I didn't love the Cam pick at the time, but he has a very valuable NBA skill and seems to be a high IQ player.

I worry about his injury issues, but I'm glad to hear he's working on his body. Now if he can add some ball-handling ability and start scoring off the bounce, his ceiling suddenly gets a lot higher.

I was actually pretty encouraged by how things went for him health-wise last year. I know he was out several games with nagging injuries, but he took a couple big spills out there this year and was able to bounce back surprisingly quickly.

Cam is unlike a lot of NBA players in that no one seemed to take much of an interest in his development as an athlete until he was a bit older. I think he's got room to grow physically where most guys his age do not. Also gotta think there may not be a ton of tread on those tires relative to his age.

I really am optimistic on this kid. Right now I'd say he's the fourth member of our core, a potential 6MOY contender by the end of his rookie deal. I think that pick looks inspired in retrospect. Makes me excited to see if there's a surprise in store for this year's draft as well.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#187 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:20 am

Cam does look bigger, Baynes is there too it appears.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#188 » by nevetsov » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:10 am

Still think Cam's ceiling is Rashard Lewis - not known as a great defender at the PF, but will bomb 10 threes a game, hitting 40+% and peaking around 19ppg. Not a bad return on the 11th pick.
ImNotMcDiSwear
General Manager

Post#189 » by ImNotMcDiSwear » Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:00 pm

nevetsov wrote:Still think Cam's ceiling is Rashard Lewis - not known as a great defender at the PF, but will bomb 10 threes a game, hitting 40+% and peaking around 19ppg. Not a bad return on the 11th pick.

Rashard had a pretty short peak as the second-best player on the second-best team in the west before signing a max contract with the Magic, where his career went to die. Not a bad comp, though I think Cam is a much quicker, purer shooter, and there may be a pretty big difference in terms of their dispositions. I mean, Rashard entered the league out of HS, whereas Cam probably didn't expect to make the league up until two years ago. Rashard was bigger and stronger, though personally I was never a huge fan of his game. Wasn't surprised he petered out pretty quickly after he got his payday.
Saberestar
RealGM
And1: 14,801

Post#190 » by Saberestar » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:59 pm

ImNotMcDiSwear wrote:
nevetsov wrote:Still think Cam's ceiling is Rashard Lewis - not known as a great defender at the PF, but will bomb 10 threes a game, hitting 40+% and peaking around 19ppg. Not a bad return on the 11th pick.

Rashard had a pretty short peak as the second-best player on the second-best team in the west before signing a max contract with the Magic, where his career went to die. Not a bad comp, though I think Cam is a much quicker, purer shooter, and there may be a pretty big difference in terms of their dispositions. I mean, Rashard entered the league out of HS, whereas Cam probably didn't expect to make the league up until two years ago. Rashard was bigger and stronger, though personally I was never a huge fan of his game. Wasn't surprised he petered out pretty quickly after he got his payday.

That would be amazing, because Lewis was a great player. Two time All Star and ten consecutive seasons scoring over 14 points per game, giving his teams a lot of space on offense.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#191 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Interesting comp

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,444

Post#192 » by Ghost of Kleine » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:39 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting comp

I like his production, But still think that it'll be super important to add a quality 3 and D big not only for depth, But also due to the fact that Cam, regardless of his current improvement, Is not strong enough or developed enough to start against the rest of the starting 4s' in the league. But he will get there of course. :wink:

In the meantime, We absolutely do need a versatile defensive big alongside of Ayton, At least until he takes that next step defensively I think. :dontknow:
cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#193 » by cberry78 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:39 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting comp

I still think Cam is a 6-8" Booker clone.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
nevetsov
Head Coach
And1: 1,709

Post#194 » by nevetsov » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:38 am

^ for some reason I thought he was 6'9, closer to 6'10. Maybe more a Mike Miller then. Or Wally Szczerbiak.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#195 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:03 am

cberry78 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting comp

I think he's what I kind of expected Booker to be when they drafted him but what Booker is now is a much different player. I think korver is the best comp, they both move well off the ball and I think Cam can be a sneaky decent defender like korver was back before he lost a step.

cberry78
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,420

Post#196 » by cberry78 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:53 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
cberry78 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Read on Twitter

Interesting comp

I think he's what I kind of expected Booker to be when they drafted him but what Booker is now is a much different player. I think korver is the best comp, they both move well off the ball and I think Cam can be a sneaky decent defender like korver was back before he lost a step.

I really believe that if Cam was given the opportunity that Booker had as a rookie he would turn out the same. I guess what happens in Orlando might be his chance, especially if KO doesn't play.
"Never argue with an idiot. You'll never convince the idiot that you're correct, and bystanders won't be able to tell who's who." - Mark Twain
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#197 » by bwgood77 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:11 am

If he could be even close to Rashard Lewis that would be huge. Lewis was an all star and like 2nd or 3rd best player on very good teams.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#198 » by bwgood77 » Sat Aug 1, 2020 6:44 pm

Some rookie rankings....I checked on Adv Stats (you can also look at raw stats)...you can look at a lot of stuff here in the realgm stat section..you can just look at rookies which is good (link at bottom of post)...Cam ranks just ahead of his draft slot in eDiff (Net Rtg or Off Rtg-Def Rtg) and TS% among qualified rookies. He is 15th in PER. They have another stat called FIC
(Floor Impact Counter): A formula to encompass all aspects of the box score into a single statistic. The intent of the statistic is similar to other efficiency stats, but assists, shot creation and offensive rebounding are given greater importance. Created by Chris Reina in 2007.
Formula: (Points + ORB. + 0.75 DRB + AST + STL + BLK –0.75 FGA – 0.375 FTA – TO – 0.5 PF)

He is 15th there too:

I like to compare him to the two guys who went right after him...PJ Washington and Tyler Herro...now of course he is 3-4 years older than those guys, but he ranks higher than them in the former two categories, but lower than PJ in PER and lower than both in FIC

eDiff:

TS%

PER

FIC

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/stats/2020/Advanced_Stats/Qualified/fic/All/desc/1/Regular_Season?rookies=
charley barkles
Senior
And1: 213

Post#199 » by charley barkles » Sat Aug 1, 2020 8:28 pm

I said this several months ago in the “unpopular opinion thread” and Hollywood tried to poo poo all over me. :lol:

I think he’s our future 4 and very Rashard Lewis like. I didn’t think it’d happen this season, but looks like Monty is going with it due to Oubre’s injury and Saric rolling his ankle. Helps that he bulked up a bit too!

I also think it’s pretty obvious that our best lineups are with Rubio, Ayton, and 3 wings (combo of Booker, Bridges, Oubre, and Cam).
Jay_Sizzle
Senior
And1: 527

Post#200 » by Jay_Sizzle » Mon Aug 3, 2020 3:37 am

I really like the Rashard Lewis comp for Cam. Lots of similarities there. The draft pick reminds me of Majerle. Everyone was disappointed at the time, but ended up a huge fan favorite.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Return to Phoenix Suns