ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#741 » by Paradise » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:24 pm

Mason Plumlee wants to return to NY. He’s a UFA this fall.

Read on Twitter
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,898

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#742 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:58 pm

Paradise wrote:Mason Plumlee wants to return to NY. He’s a UFA this fall.

Read on Twitter

Wouldn't mind having Mason come back as DJ's back up.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#743 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:03 pm

Paradise wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Paradise wrote:That hasn’t stopped him from a job at Disney/ESPN and tbh, I’m not going to sit and bash a black man for stuff that happened 4-5 years ago. It’s just as unprogressive. We’ve had a wife beating piece of garbage as our “iconic” point guard in the rafters for quite some time now.

If he gets an interview and actually adds something that we like, I sure hope we wouldn’t discriminate because that also goes against our culture.

I'm not going to give another Black man a pass for his bigotry, this piece of **** said he would "pray" for Jason Collins because he's gay. Is that cool with you? He hasn't apologized or recanted that, if that stuff came up under media scrutiny again, I highly doubt ABC/Disney will fight to keep him employed. I'm all for solidarity but not at the expense of decency, homophobia kills Black men and women at a ridiculous rate and I refuse to condone it or look the other way. And Kidd is a PoS too.

Also, he's a nutjob, he said that Harrison Barnes was possessed by a demon, and I can pull up a ton of awful stuff that he did as coach of the warriors. The dude is a toxic human being.

I'm all for the Nets hiring a Black coach, but Jackson is a huge no. I'll be rooting for Vaughn to do well if that's the case.

I’m no Mark Jackson fan either and I’m aware of every quote including the whole Festus Ezeli and assistant coach thing but I don’t think it’s wise to not do due diligence based off of online reports. That’s just simply not how a well run organization works. It doesn’t mean it leads to him getting hired either but I’d atleast give him a formal interview. It’s not prison.

I’d obviously take Vaughn, Lue, Phil Handy, Ime Udoka, or even Mike Woodson etc before I take him but I would extend an interview if it means keeping my entire team of stars satisfied.

Btw, who’s MDA? D’antoni?

I can respect that point of view. I think that whoever the coach is has to not only check the boxes with KD and Kyrie but also Sean Marks. Marks is a modern basketball GM who believes in analytics and science so I don't think he's going to put that aside for a dinosaur like Jackson.

Yeah MDA = D'Antoni. I would love to see him design an offense around KD and Kyrie. Especially Kyrie. However, I am also a bit hesitant on him because Houston's offense is literally James Harden pounding the air out of the ball. I don't think that's the kind of basketball KD would want to play based on what he's said in the past.

GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#744 » by GTR11 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:56 am

therealbig3 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:Honestly think we should give a healthy version of our team a chance before trading away key depth for a third star. Jarrett Allen is one of the best young centers in the league and potentially an All-Star. Caris Levert has obviously shown flashes of being an All-Star as well, he just hasn't consistently been able to put it together for a season, and injuries have obviously played a part in that. Spencer Dinwiddie basically was an All-Star this year, even if he didn't technically make the team.

We have 3 guys that imo are close to or are basically at All-Star level, IN ADDITION to Kyrie and Durant. That's a depth of talent that a lot of teams don't have. Trading them all away for one superstar player like Beal, for example...I'll be honest, I don't think it moves the needle for us all that much, because of the loss of our depth. Our team also loses 3 talented young players, and I'm sure we'd be giving up draft picks in the deal as well. So we're compromising our future, and not really getting better in any meaningful way.

We're a championship level squad if healthy. We've got an excellent supporting cast that goes like 6 deep with legitimately good NBA players, AND two superstars. Three superstars and like 3-4 serviceable role players isn't necessarily any better.

EDIT: and honestly, a lot of us have given Deandre Jordan a lot of crap this year, sometimes for good reason, but he was actually pretty good this year, outplayed Jarrett Allen and took the starting job from him in fact, and has averaged a near double double. That's actually excellent production from what was mostly our backup center this year.

It's no secret that we aiming Beal but it doesn't look like he's looking for that yet. With limited time for a chip window I can see Marks explore trade for Jrue. Him Kyrie Joe, KD and DJ is a chip favorite and put us into elite level.
I'd love to bet on LeVert but he's so unreliable when it comes to availability. He definitely has all star talent and can play on off the ball on both side. However best ability is availability.

Honestly don't think Jrue/Kyrie/Joe/KD/DJ is any better than Dinwiddie/Levert/Allen/Kyrie/KD/Joe/DJ. Actually, I think we're clearly worse with Jrue than with Dinwiddie/Allen/Levert. Beal/Kyrie/KD with Joe Harris and DJ isn't necessarily better either. People are seriously underrating how important depth and versatility are.

It's debatable if Jrue is even better than Dinwiddie or Allen individually tbh.

I this league talent wins all the time. Depth can only take you that far. Sacramento Kings?
GTR11
RealGM

Post#745 » by GTR11 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:00 am

I'd rather keep J. Voughn before signing up with recycled trash you guys entertaining. At least I'll have hope going forward :P
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#746 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:01 am

GTR11 wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
It's no secret that we aiming Beal but it doesn't look like he's looking for that yet. With limited time for a chip window I can see Marks explore trade for Jrue. Him Kyrie Joe, KD and DJ is a chip favorite and put us into elite level.
I'd love to bet on LeVert but he's so unreliable when it comes to availability. He definitely has all star talent and can play on off the ball on both side. However best ability is availability.

Honestly don't think Jrue/Kyrie/Joe/KD/DJ is any better than Dinwiddie/Levert/Allen/Kyrie/KD/Joe/DJ. Actually, I think we're clearly worse with Jrue than with Dinwiddie/Allen/Levert. Beal/Kyrie/KD with Joe Harris and DJ isn't necessarily better either. People are seriously underrating how important depth and versatility are.

I this league talent wins all the time. Depth can only take you that far. Sacramento Kings?

Jrue Holiday is more efficient offensively and a better defender than Spencer. He is clearly the better player.

GTR11
RealGM

Post#747 » by GTR11 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:35 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:

Jrue Holiday is more efficient offensively and a better defender than Spencer. He is clearly the better player.

We all love Din and came along with his adv/minuses, Jrue is better player than both Din and LeVert at this point. We build to win right now and Jrue fits our script.
As I said, I trust Marks and believe in him to provide.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#748 » by therealbig3 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:36 pm

Ok but Jrue Holiday isn't better than Dinwiddie and Levert and Allen. That's pretty clear to me actually.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#749 » by GTR11 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:41 am

therealbig3 wrote:Ok but Jrue Holiday isn't better than Dinwiddie and Levert and Allen. That's pretty clear to me actually.

:noway:
I said he's better player than both Din and LeVert. I never said I'll give up both of them for one Jrue and never will entertain such idea. However I'll do Din or LeVert+ Allen for Jrue any day.
•Din can opt out ( lazy to look it up ) and become a FA and who knows whatsarket price for him now, what Tsai willing to pay.
•LeVert can't stay healthy.
• Allen ain't ready. I'm not even sure he'll ever be ready for the biggest stage. To me he's soft and that's holding him down development wise. I have way more faith in Nic. Also DJ make Allen expendable.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#750 » by therealbig3 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:19 am

Ok, and I disagree pretty strongly, I think Dinwiddie or Levert + Allen means we're giving up talent and depth. I would rather have Allen and one of those other two than Jrue both in terms of winning now and in terms of building for the future.

Jrue Holiday isn't as good as y'all are saying he is.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#751 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:26 am

I'm not a Jrue fan, either, and I think that New Orleans' asking price for him sounds too steep in an opt-out year. Trading keeper assets like Caris and Jarrett for a one-year rental of a guy who doesn't know the system and may not like being a third option sounds like a dicey proposition.

HOWEVER, compared to the other 3rd star names floated around, I like him. CJ McCollum would be a disaster here defensively, and Beal would want more shots KD or KI. Guys like Middleton and Thompson can defend and hit the three at an elite level are just not available, so Holiday is best most compatible upgrade on the market.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#752 » by drchaos » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:23 am

therealbig3 wrote:Ok, and I disagree pretty strongly, I think Dinwiddie or Levert + Allen means we're giving up talent and depth. I would rather have Allen and one of those other two than Jrue both in terms of winning now and in terms of building for the future.

Jrue Holiday isn't as good as y'all are saying he is.

While s trade for Beal is likely to cost Dinwiddie, Levert, and Allen (too rich for my blood), I don't see how Dinwiddie and Allen wouldn't be enough for Holliday (especially if you consider the length of his contract).
GTR11
RealGM

Post#753 » by GTR11 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:41 pm

Din will be FA just like Jrue. You that sure he'll resign instead of taking cash from a team with cap space? I'm sure not. He took pay cut one time already, it's time to cash in especially looking how this economy going.
Allen will have to get paid next year. Thought about that? As I said he's scary azz get on my nerves way to much for my liking.
Love LeVert, if he could've stayed healthy we won't have any of this discussions. We've seen what he can do. That 6:s playoff series showed me enough he's for real.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,467

Post#754 » by Stone » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:28 pm

GTR11 wrote:Allen will have to get paid next year. Thought about that? As I said he's scary azz get on my nerves way to much for my liking.

I know Allen does a disappearing act from time to time. But his upside is too good to overlook. He just turned 22, he has out performed many of the guys that got drafted ahead of him. It's only a matter of time until he is a top 10 center in the league. It really depends on what kind of salary we need to spend to keep him. I believe he is the future of the Nets and I hope we retain him.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
GTR11
RealGM

Post#755 » by GTR11 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:05 pm

Stone wrote:
GTR11 wrote:Allen will have to get paid next year. Thought about that? As I said he's scary azz get on my nerves way to much for my liking.

I know Allen does a disappearing act from time to time. But his upside is too good to overlook. He just turned 22, he has out performed many of the guys that got drafted ahead of him. It's only a matter of time until he is a top 10 center in the league. It really depends on what kind of salary we need to spend to keep him. I believe he is the future of the Nets and I hope we retain him.

Sorry don't share your enthusiasm about Allen. My bet is that Nic will surpass him next season ( pls God let us get over this Virus ) and will provide on both sides. You wishing Allen will improve his offensive game has me crying right now. I'm pretty sure he'll remain rim running C.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,467

Post#756 » by Stone » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:19 pm

A third year guy giving us a double double with room to grow.....I'm ok with that.

I am a big fan and supporter of Nic Claxton, but the jury is still out. Unfortunately Nic joined the Nets while we are in a win now mentality, as opposed to Jay who had we had a chance to develop. Jay was starting games for us in his rookie season.

Another thing to take into consideration is the amount of games Nic has missed with injury's. Nic has missed more games in his rookie season that Jay has in his first three years with us. And now Nic is out the rest of the season with another injury

Do any of us know what is up with that shoulder injury that he just had surgery for? The silence is deafening.

I would like to see Nic remain on the Nets, but I think he is going to get much PT next season. I hate to say it but I think the best situation for Nic is to go to a young developing team like The Hawks or the Pelicans.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#757 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:16 am

yeah i like Nic but it's too soon to anoint him over JA. However, due to the politics of the locker room, Allen will be traded to appease DJ.

Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#758 » by Claud » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:53 pm

Not sure why Marks didn't sign a legit backup C unless they are super high on Hall.

Still looking forward to some hoops although I have no expectations.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#759 » by GTR11 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:42 pm

Time definitely heal and give most hope for brighter future. It's all good time will tell who's right.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,584

Post#760 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:39 pm

The goal should be to get Jrue Holiday without giving up Dinwiddie.

At this point Dinwiddie is clearly the 3rd best player on the team. He is extremely impactful on the offensive end when you look at his advanced stats.

I think it might be time to pull the trigger on a LeVert trade. If he has another underwhelming season it’ll be impossible to convince teams that he’s a young player with star potential at 26 years old.

LeVert, Allen and a 1st for Jrue is what the Nets should be pursuing.

Then maybe something like Prince, Kurucs and 2 1sts for Gordon.

Return to Brooklyn Nets