Anyway the NBA goes back to 'Home Whites' and 'Road Color' uniforms?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,249

Re: Anyway the NBA goes back to 'Home Whites' and 'Road Color' uniforms? 

Post#41 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:43 pm

BenoUdrihFTL wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:I said this many times, but I hate white uniforms at home, NBA literally got it backwards, you wear your colors at home, and you only wear away if it clashes with other team home color. White's should be used as little as possible, it is easily the most boring of the jerseys. We all know that every NBA team's primary color isnt white, so why do they wear white at home like they are Real Madrid? When I think of Celtics, I think of green, they should always wear green, its like if Liverpool never wore red in Anfield, or Man City never wore teal in Manchester, what sense does it make?

It's something that's become entrenched to the point where the home white/road color concept is integrated into the jersey design itself. Notice how so many home white jerseys have the team name whereas the road colors have the city, e.g. here's the Bucks:

A lot of the alternate jerseys conflate this but it's a subtle consistency with most standard home/road jerseys. My guess is because when a team is at home, everyone knows what city the game is being played in so the home whites can feature the team name. But on the road, the idea of displaying what city you're coming from is prioritized. Just my guess for the reasoning but the home/white/name and road/color/city theme is pretty consistent

I do know that most white jerseys have team name, while color jerseys have city name, I did notice that the first time I became a fan, but I am just saying that its stupid to begin with. White is not a primary color of every team, why does their home jerseys white? Till this day I feel that Lakers is the only team that got it right, overseas, among fandoms color culture is huge, but there is no such thing in the NBA. I made this point countless of times, and I remember someone once said that NBA always had color vs white jersey combo in every game, because tvs of old were black and white, so it would be easy to distinguish the teams. But right now if Bulls (reds) play Hornets (teal/purple), why does one of them play in white uniforms? Again with Soccer example, but if Inter Milan plays Villareal Or something, neither of them gonna wear secondary uniforms, because their primaries are so different from one another.
Ckay
Head Coach
And1: 8,299

Post#42 » by Ckay » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:16 pm

OdomFan wrote:I'm definitely all for Home Whites and Away Darks coming back. If the people like variety so much the league should have the teams have variety in Home whites and Away Darks to solve it.

I mean that's what the Lakers did when they first introduced the White Jerseys. They wore those sometimes and still went back to their yellow ones too throughout those early-mid 2000 seasons. If they can do that so should the teams of today imo.

The only way this can happen though is if Nike or whoever it is that's in charge of the uniforms now is convinced.
White jersey on Sunday!
chuck_wagon44
Senior
And1: 617

Post#43 » by chuck_wagon44 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:26 pm

not trying to sound arrogant but...

if it doesn't bother you, you're not a true nba fan.

because a true nba fan can immediately notice an issue when the home team is wearing a crazy road alternate while the visiting team is wearing their home colors.

it looks off

just look at the classic bulls games with Jordan and Pippen, they always wore white at home, red/black on the road. it was timeless. enough said.

if you go against that, you're basically either a new nba fan or some casual fan who doesn't notice the intricacies within the game.
chuck_wagon44
Senior

Post#44 » by chuck_wagon44 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:30 pm

This looks like a sold out scrimmage game between the Houston Rockets versus the Houston Rockets. :lol:
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#45 » by Flash Falcon X » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:39 am

Colored jerseys at home makes so much sense.

This is just a matter of people complaining because of something new.

First of all, why are the Lakers the only team that was allowed to wear colored jerseys at home? Remember they would always have yellow jerseys at home and only wear white on Sundays? When the Warriors changed their color scheme back to yellow and blue in 2010, they wanted yellow home jerseys but the NBA told them only the Lakers are allowed because they’re grandfathered into it.

Secondly, colors are a big part of a team’s identity. Lakers gold and purple, Celtics green, Bulls red. And in other sports, Packers green, Niners red and gold, Raiders black and silver, Tarheels baby blue, etc.

Wearing a solid color at home makes sense because you’re showcasing more of the team’s identity. The NFL has been doing this and their colored home jerseys are way much better than boring white jerseys.

Trust me, in 10 years barely anyone will complain. People just complain now because people naturally whine about things they’re not used to. If the NBA has solid colored jerseys at home for 50 years (Lakers gold at home, Celtics green at home, Bulls red at home, etc) and suddenly made home teams wear boring white jerseys, people would be complaining about that just cause it’s new. But since white home jerseys are what people are accustomed to, it’s what they would rather want right now.
#DubNation
GooniousMaximus
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#46 » by GooniousMaximus » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:28 am

yeah, again 3 jerseys max. 2 home; 1 regular 1 alt style (could rotate seasonly for vintage, classic, or city edition). and a neutral/white jersey. keep it simple. get back to the game. it will still be a business but keep it transparent and not with all these jerseys lol. they already have the patches
bon
General Manager
And1: 13,395

Post#47 » by bon » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:00 am

I enjoy the home whites but the fact that there's no designated home/away is the main issue.
BallerTalk
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,816

Post#48 » by BallerTalk » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:13 am

fianchetto wrote:my take is... who gives a flying ****. It's a color for god's sake.

Sixerscan wrote:Can't say I care about this and literally never think about it outside of when people get super heated about it on here from time to time.

Flash Falcon X wrote:Colored jerseys at home makes so much sense.

Yep.
This is all little more than petty pedantic whining.

It's interesting how whenever someone argues "purity of the game" it's frequently some whiny, often trivial, anti-progressive complaint about how things have changed since "back in their day."
You checkin' for the sound of the beast
I'm the hound, I'ma creep, I get down, I'ma eat
I'ma keep somethin' to lay a naysayer to sleep
-
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,215

Post#49 » by dhsilv2 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:05 pm

UcanUwill wrote:I said this many times, but I hate white uniforms at home, NBA literally got it backwards, you wear your colors at home, and you only wear away if it clashes with other team home color. White's should be used as little as possible, it is easily the most boring of the jerseys. We all know that every NBA team's primary color isnt white, so why do they wear white at home like they are Real Madrid? When I think of Celtics, I think of green, they should always wear green, its like if Liverpool never wore red in Anfield, or Man City never wore teal in Manchester, what sense does it make?

cause whites get dirty on the road...tradition.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#50 » by Cookin Baskets » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:28 pm

Not crazy about the white jerseys really sort of boring. I like the color it pops more. The only issue with color is if teams playing against each other have similar confusing colors and then maybe they could wear the white home jersey.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,468

Post#51 » by Ballings7 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:03 pm

Yeah to me the home light-colored and away dark colored uniforms format is best... its more traditional and more organized.

I don't care about if they "pop" or make a statement.

While not a huge deal, it is one of the things that has changed the game for the worse.

Also, this isn't whining, this is a viewpoint from collective observations in comparison between three different eras of NBA.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 170

Post#52 » by JNewton » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:11 pm

My biggest problem with the uniforms are the "City" jerseys. A few are worthwhile, but most are flat out ridiculous (Houston H-Town, Atlanta Peachtree, Pistons Motor City, etc.).

All of them are way overused, there's no compelling reason besides Nike trying to sell crappy jerseys that they should be used 20+ times in an 82-game season. I'm OK with the idea of using traditional home and road jerseys interchangeably, and regular alternates (basically switching around the colors on one of the home or road jerseys) is fine too, but the City jerseys need to go away. Maybe instead let teams use throwback jerseys more often instead?
BenoUdrihFTL
RealGM
And1: 23,486

Post#53 » by BenoUdrihFTL » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:20 pm

Flash Falcon X wrote:Colored jerseys at home makes so much sense.

First of all, why are the Lakers the only team that was allowed to wear colored jerseys at home? Remember they would always have yellow jerseys at home and only wear white on Sundays? When the Warriors changed their color scheme back to yellow and blue in 2010, they wanted yellow home jerseys but the NBA told them only the Lakers are allowed because they’re grandfathered into it.

Secondly, colors are a big part of a team’s identity. Lakers gold and purple, Celtics green, Bulls red. And in other sports, Packers green, Niners red and gold, Raiders black and silver, Tarheels baby blue, etc.

Wearing a solid color at home makes sense because you’re showcasing more of the team’s identity. The NFL has been doing this and their colored home jerseys are way much better than boring white jerseys.

Trust me, in 10 years barely anyone will complain. People just complain now because people naturally whine about things they’re not used to. If the NBA has solid colored jerseys at home for 50 years (Lakers gold at home, Celtics green at home, Bulls red at home, etc) and suddenly made home teams wear boring white jerseys, people would be complaining about that just cause it’s new. But since white home jerseys are what people are accustomed to, it’s what they would rather want right now.

If the NBA simply reversed the color coordination from home-white/road-color to home-color/road-white, it would be different but I don't think that's the issue here. The issue (at least for me) is that there's no coordination whatsoever right now, it's seems to just be chaotic and random with very little meaning behind uniform choice outside of a team wanting to advertise yet another new alternate on national TV ($$$)
Wolf of Ball St
Junior
And1: 519

Post#54 » by Wolf of Ball St » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:32 pm

chuck_wagon44 wrote:not trying to sound arrogant but...

if it doesn't bother you, you're not a true nba fan.

because a true nba fan can immediately notice an issue when the home team is wearing a crazy road alternate while the visiting team is wearing their home colors.

it looks off

just look at the classic bulls games with Jordan and Pippen, they always wore white at home, red/black on the road. it was timeless. enough said.

if you go against that, you're basically either a new nba fan or some casual fan who doesn't notice the intricacies within the game.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I’m pretty sure there’s no correlation between true NBA fans and their preference in jersey presentation. The nostalgia and consistency in “uniform” home and aways is timeless, but we all know the league is driven by $$$. The game (and its revenue generating abilities) evolves with time. More jersey options, more revenue. Would you suggest those who instituted the jersey patches are not true NBA fans? Would you suggest those in favor of a mid-season tournament or change to season or playoff format are not true NBA fans?
chuck_wagon44
Senior

Post#55 » by chuck_wagon44 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:33 pm

From a visual and aesthetics point of view, it is basically against everything the NBA was. A pure and simply sport. Now its too many colors and too many ugly uniforms and adverstising patches and uncoordinated shoes with uniforms.

For goodness sakes, the Orlando Magic and wearing orange jerseys. The hawks are wearing peach jerseys. The boston celtics players are wearing red shoes. The Rockets players are wearing "htown" and my hometown Raptors are wearing black/gold or atlanta hawks themed uniforms when they won the championship. Its just a very unorganized and super sloppy aesthetic viewing.
mack2354
Pro Prospect
And1: 526

Post#56 » by mack2354 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:46 pm

JNewton wrote:My biggest problem with the uniforms are the "City" jerseys. A few are worthwhile, but most are flat out ridiculous (Houston H-Town, Atlanta Peachtree, Pistons Motor City, etc.).

All of them are way overused, there's no compelling reason besides Nike trying to sell crappy jerseys that they should be used 20+ times in an 82-game season. I'm OK with the idea of using traditional home and road jerseys interchangeably, and regular alternates (basically switching around the colors on one of the home or road jerseys) is fine too, but the City jerseys need to go away. Maybe instead let teams use throwback jerseys more often instead?

I think the City jerseys make sense if used correctly. Another poster showed the Raptors and Hornets playing each other when both teams colors are black and red. The Bulls are black/red as well so if they wanted to use their City jersey while playing one of those 2 teams then it would make sense.

chuck_wagon44
Senior

Post#57 » by chuck_wagon44 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:51 pm

BARFFF!

The bulls have no business wearing colombia blue. I know it's in their state flag colors but it doesn't represent their franchise and all that winning they did with red/white/blue. Those jerseys look like they belong to the old Houston Oilers football team. YUCK!
docholliday99
Sixth Man
And1: 891

Post#58 » by docholliday99 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:04 pm

Just a question and it may have been answered already, but doesn't Nike design AND choose which jersey's the teams will wear on game days? Pretty sure that was part of the deal when they took over in 2018.

Teams and the League have no real control - just input and an overall set of guiding rules for the designs.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,809

Post#59 » by Joao Saraiva » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:06 pm

I like the bright uniform at home. Doesn't have to be white, LA wears yellow or GSW.

But it isn't something that really bothers me.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Fresh_Prince12
Head Coach
And1: 2,184

Post#60 » by Fresh_Prince12 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:25 pm

chuck_wagon44 wrote:
megalison wrote:Not sure about other markets, but in Toronto the 'coloured' jerseys sell way better than the 'white' ones. I'm just basing this off of anecdotal observations. So in that case, I think it makes sense for the team to wear what the fans will likely be wearing in the stands.

Realistically, teams should be able to wear whichever jersey they'd like, as long as it contrasts with the other team's.

The games I go to in Toronto, I see mostly the Purple striped retroes with the Dinosaurs worn mostly in the stands.

Fans generally speaking, will wear home uniforms but sadly, they're not worn much in today's NBA. It gets a little too much color contrasting.

For example, if 2 teams are wearing 2 different tones of red...or 2 different tones of Blue..it just makes for a bad viewing experience.

Has that happen? I don’t remember seeing two jerseys being the same’ish color on the same court unless it was 2k

Return to The General Board