Re: Your Top 5 2020 Warriors Draft Picks 

Post#62 » by BballIntellect » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:11 pm

My mock draft :

1) Lamelo Ball
2) Wiseman
3) Okongwu
4) Vassell
5) Edwards

If I'm the Warriors and I get the first pick, I trade down and get someone like Devin Vassell.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,133

Post#63 » by Onus » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:20 pm

1. Wiseman
2. Trade down with the Knicks (6 or 7 and 27)
Dallas (Maxi 18 and 31)
Celtics (Smart and 17 and 26 or 30)
Charlotte (8 and 32)

Then I’m targeting Vassel or Halliburton early. One of Precious, Tyler Bey, Paul Reed or Daniel Oturu late.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#64 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:13 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
Lol, Andre Drummond? Wiseman is already a much better offensive player who projects to be a damn good scorer by year three. He’s already a better free throw shooter and has decent range.

I will give Drummond the rebounding, because he’s elite.

My concerns with Wiseman are not at all with what his potential is, it's what his drive will be like and how willing he will be to be physical.

If they are happy with those answers for Wiseman he's clearly the best pick in the draft for the Warriors.

I have less concerns about those things for Okongwu, but he doesn't measure up to Wiseman in other ways.

This draft just doesn't have a clear blue chip no question player. I think there are 10-15 players who can help the Warriors for several years, But I don't see any of them as clearly worth a #1 pick.

If we didn’t have a dirt cheap Chriss already, I might value Okungwu higher. I like him as a player, and watched a bunch of SC games. He’s being hyped up a bit to much right now. Part of that is the play of Adebayo. Okungwu is not Adebayo.

I’m not worried about Wiseman. He was the top rated player coming up throughout his junior senior year and the only game he struggled even a little bit was because of foul trouble against Oregon. He still put up really good numbers per minute and I’ve done enough of my own research to know that he’s going to be an All Star.

I don’t have the fears about him that others do.

Yeah, I'm not looking to get Okongwu with the #1 either. Wiseman clearly is the closest to a clear #1 in this draft.

I don't know how you can be so certain that Wiseman's issues are not real, but I know you believe it :)
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#65 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:19 pm

wco81 wrote:If he wants to have the ball on the wing and look to put in on the deck, trying to cross over guys, he may not accept a reduced roll just rebounding and defending and looking for scraps after the Splash Brothers get theirs.

Who knows, he may never bulk up or get physical but want to be more like the Chris Bosh type of player rather than a strict rim runner, pick and roll guy diving to the hoop.

They might have to give him some ISOs around the elbow or post ups to keep him motivated.

If they're going to draft him, they may have to be prepared for that.

Kerr will absolutely have the ball move through his hands, and yell at him to shoot it if he's got an open shot in one of his best areas. That's fundamental to Kerr's system. It will be an issue if he doesn't move the ball or if he takes low percentage shots out of laziness or wanting to stats.

I also wonder about him on the rare nights when there will be a physical big in the game going at him, will he be physical on both ends or will he try to avoid the contact.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,697

Post#66 » by whatisacenter » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:12 pm

Kuya wrote:i'm all in on LaMelo

I don't see "it" when I watch LaMelo. People love his height, handles and vision but I worry about his slight frame, terrible shooting % and his lack of effort on D. He would need to re-work his shot like Lonzo did and start to play defense...not sure how long that will take him and if he would be worth the wait.

Curious to hear what you see in him....change my mind!

I've got.

1. Wiseman (keep the pick)
2. Edwards (keep the pick)
3. Advija (5 or trade down)
4. Haliburton (5 or trade down)
5. Hampton (5 or trade down)

Players I want no part of

1. Nico Mannion
2. Cole Anthony
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Post#67 » by gswhoops » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:17 pm

whatisacenter wrote:

I don't see "it" when I watch LaMelo. People love his height, handles and vision but I worry about his slight frame, terrible shooting % and his lack of effort on D. He would need to re-work his shot like Lonzo did and start to play defense...not sure how long that will take him and if he would be worth the wait.

My biggest concern about LaMelo is that he isn't efficient enough to be the primary option on a good team, and he doesn't have the skill set to be a complimentary player.

I think he'll end up as one of those guys who puts up decent counting stats with terrible advanced metrics on losing teams, and make enough highlight plays that casual fans think he's good despite never contributing to an actual good team.
ChuckDurn
Assistant Coach
And1: 789

Post#68 » by ChuckDurn » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:29 pm

gswhoops wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

My biggest concern about LaMelo is that he isn't efficient enough to be the primary option on a good team, and he doesn't have the skill set to be a complimentary player.

I think he'll end up as one of those guys who puts up decent counting stats with terrible advanced metrics on losing teams, and make enough highlight plays that casual fans think he's good despite never contributing to an actual good team.

Well said. I agree 100%.
If I don't have anything funny to say, can I still have a signature?
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#69 » by EvanZ » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:41 pm

LaMelo
Edwards
Pokusevski
Avdija
PatWill
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
The Maestro
Sixth Man
And1: 52

Post#70 » by The Maestro » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:27 pm

I have no idea what people See in LaMelo. He’s a great passer against terrible competition, awesome. He’s also an awful shooter and awful defender against terrible competition. And his family is nuts. Haliburton as a passer is just slightly below Ball and he’s a much better defender and shooter. And Wiseman and Edwards have their warts and issues but no chance in hell I’m taking LaMelo before either of them.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by Scoots1994 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:04 pm

The Maestro wrote:I have no idea what people See in LaMelo. He’s a great passer against terrible competition, awesome. He’s also an awful shooter and awful defender against terrible competition. And his family is nuts. Haliburton as a passer is just slightly below Ball and he’s a much better defender and shooter. And Wiseman and Edwards have their warts and issues but no chance in hell I’m taking LaMelo before either of them.

I don't get the LaMelo love either. He's supposed to be better than his brother, but that's not saying much, and LaMelo has been trained that he's "great" without being part of a team. I don't have any faith that he's going to put in the work, let alone that he can play in a team first system like Kerr's.

LaMelo is elite at one skill and not even good at anything else, all the other prospects at least have multiple skills.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#72 » by wco81 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:06 am

Lonzo has made a big improvement in his 3-point shooting this year, though maybe he's getting a lot of catch and shoot looks instead of generating pull-ups himselves.

That just brings his shooting to average while his overall FG and FT are way below average. Good assist and rebounding numbers at his position.

However, he's got one more year before he's off his rookie deal.

Unless he has a huge all-star year next year, he's unlikely to get a big contract. Pelicans might have to trade away Jrue in order for him to take over the position on that team.

Made himself into a good rotation player but after 3 seasons, that's not saying much for the #2 player in his draft class.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#73 » by HiRez » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:23 am

I agree with most of you about LaMelo and I also want no part of him. I don’t think the LaVar factor should be underestimated, you really think Kerr and Lacob and the players want to be answering questions all day long in response to LaVar screaming for LaMelo to get more playing time over Steph Curry? Because I guarantee you that’s going to happen. A chip-or-bust team like this doesn’t need distractions.
BballIntellect
Junior
And1: 151

Post#74 » by BballIntellect » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:43 am

What would you guys say if Steph Curry's dad was Lavar Ball ? "Pass on the kid because the dad is too much of a big mouth..."

When talking about Lamelo, the thing that we should be focused on is his skills, his potential as an NBA player and his attitude.

What his dad may think or say doesn't matter. Lamelo is the one who'll be drafted and perform on an NBA court. Not Lavar.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,578

Post#75 » by HiRez » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:07 am

BballIntellect wrote:What would you guys say if Steph Curry's dad was Lavar Ball ? "Pass on the kid because the dad is too much of a big mouth..."

When talking about Lamelo, the thing that we should be focused on is his skills, his potential as an NBA player and his attitude.

What his dad may think or say doesn't matter. Lamelo is the one who'll be drafted and perform on an NBA court. Not Lavar.

Because LaMelo is no Steph Curry. If he’s the next Magic Johnson then sure, I’m with you, I just don’t think he is. He’d have to be really extraordinary to put up with the baggage that will come with him, but at best I think he’s no better than a number of other prospects in this draft who don’t have that baggage.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,137

Post#76 » by wco81 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:11 am

Yeah it's probably not an accident that both of them have busted shots.

So much for his training them. He really should have hired them a good shooting coach.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#77 » by Mylie10 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:28 am

BballIntellect wrote:What would you guys say if Steph Curry's dad was Lavar Ball ? "Pass on the kid because the dad is too much of a big mouth..."

I’ll answer you this way....I really like Lonzo because of his defense and vision. I give him big credit for improving his shot and he looks now like a guy who might shoot around 37% from 3. Not great, but not bad. I like his attitude as well, LaVar or not. Would love him on our team.

Do not like Lamelo because of what has been mentioned prior. Don’t care about his dad, just don’t like his game. He is a great passer though, but that’s about it.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:30 am

Curry's character has always been above reproach, and that comes from his parents. You can't say that about any of the Ball's.

That said my issue with LaMelo has very little to do with LaVar.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#79 » by Scoots1994 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:37 am

Mylie10 wrote:

I’ll answer you this way....I really like Lonzo because of his defense and vision. I give him big credit for improving his shot and he looks now like a guy who might shoot around 37% from 3. Not great, but not bad. I like his attitude as well, LaVar or not. Would love him on our team.

Do not like Lamelo because of what has been mentioned prior. Don’t care about his dad, just don’t like his game. He is a great passer though, but that’s about it.

Lonzo processes the game really well, but he doesn't seem to create room for plays to happen. He can find the play but he doesn't make them like good PGs do.

His handle, his defense, and his vision are all good ... but not #2 pick good, and while LaMelo is a better passer, he's not as good at the other parts of the game.

LaMelo has always dominated the ball ... how are we going to know he's going to let that go and be able to develop his game in the Warriors system.
BballIntellect
Junior
And1: 151

Post#80 » by BballIntellect » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:37 am

Scoots1994 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:

Lonzo processes the game really well, but he doesn't seem to create room for plays to happen. He can find the play but he doesn't make them like good PGs do.

His handle, his defense, and his vision are all good ... but not #2 pick good, and while LaMelo is a better passer, he's not as good at the other parts of the game.

LaMelo has always dominated the ball ... how are we going to know he's going to let that go and be able to develop his game in the Warriors system.

I bet you that Lamelo as a rookie next season will be better than any version of Lonzo. I could be wrong but I like my chances of being proven right. It's the dirty little secret. Everyone around the ball family knows that Lamelo is by far the most talented of the three brothers.

I agree on Lonzo being more all around than Lamelo but being more all around doesn't make you the better player. There's a lot of players more all around than Steph Curry but he has that one elite skill.

I don't like Lamelo as a Warrior because :

1) too much unknown (the shot, the defense)

2) fit concerns

But he's still by far my first pick in the draft because of the raw basketball skill and talent. It's off the charts with Lamelo. He's a basketball wizard. If I'm a lottery team, I take Lamelo. Which is why I hope we get the first pick because you know the Knicks and the Pistons will try to trade up to get him.

It would be nice to get an additional asset along with a player we need.

Return to Golden State Warriors