ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#1981 » by Psubs » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:57 pm

LoveMyRaps wrote:
Read on Twitter

Honestly hope we take him in the second round.

Well worth the gamble at #58.

Ya, the pipeline at PG looks nice with Lowry - FVV - TD - Mane, with the latter 2 able to play SG.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1982 » by Psubs » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:34 pm

Psubs
RealGM

Post#1983 » by Psubs » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:34 pm

https://www.tmz.com/2020/07/18/cassius-stanley-pendant-michael-jackson-smooth-criminal-nba-draft-duke-prospect/

I wanna see him do a Smooth Criminal dunk! Moonwalk from the foul line, then lean, then jump 180 dunk.

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2020/07/16/2020-nba-draft-early-entry-decisions/

Oh someone posted earlier about Sandro Mamukelashvili. Just saw the name and his nickname could be Dro Mamu or Dormmamu!

Imagine him holding a flaming basketball!

Psubs
RealGM

Post#1984 » by Psubs » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:13 pm

https://spartanswire.usatoday.com/2020/07/17/xavier-tillman-sr-a-first-round-pick-in-bleacher-report-writers-2020-nba-mock-draft/

Tillman landing in Toronto would be a splendid scenario. Nick Nurse has really maximized and developed players well on the Raptors. Plus, the team is still incredibly competitive in the East despite the departure of star player Kawhi Leonard. Lastly, Tillman can potentially play with guards like Kyle Lowry and Fred VanVleet.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2899930-nba-draft-2020-mock-predictions-for-cole-anthony-fringe-lottery-prospects

Just missing out on Poku and Jalen. Looking up stats the other day and Toronto is #1 in fewest opp PPG and #1 in lowest opp 3pt FG%, so I'd be okay with Tillman or Reed. :nod:
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,959

Post#1985 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:32 pm

Bane sounds interesting. I noticed he doubled his assist rate this year and he rebounds well for a shooter. I wish I had caught some of his games. Not that he doesn't have upside, but he's not really a prolific scorer. Makes me wonder if he's instinctually passive.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1986 » by Psubs » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:20 pm

ATLTimekeeper wrote:Bane sounds interesting. I noticed he doubled his assist rate this year and he rebounds well for a shooter. I wish I had caught some of his games. Not that he doesn't have upside, but he's not really a prolific scorer. Makes me wonder if he's instinctually passive.

I think it's like Terence Davis at Ole Miss being a combo guard that had to carry the team. Though Bane shot over 40% from 3. He's pretty much 50/40/80 during his 4 years of college. Not being a chucker will fit in Raptors culture seamlessly. To me drafting Bane would be getting a stronger TD that doesn't finish as well at the rim. If you want more upside, draft Cassius Stanley. Looks like he would have a quick 3/4 court sprint time; too bad no combine.

Just hoping that Boston whiffs like usual with their late 1st rounders and same for Philly with all of their early 2nds. :lol:

Just feels like it's better to have combo of 3 late 1sts/early 2nds than a pick in the teens.

Is it that we've had so much time to mull over picks that we all have vast lists of players we like. Usually I'm looking at 3-5 player but this draft it's like 10-12.
ATLTimekeeper
RealGM
And1: 21,959

Post#1987 » by ATLTimekeeper » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:31 pm

Psubs wrote:
ATLTimekeeper wrote:Bane sounds interesting. I noticed he doubled his assist rate this year and he rebounds well for a shooter. I wish I had caught some of his games. Not that he doesn't have upside, but he's not really a prolific scorer. Makes me wonder if he's instinctually passive.

I think it's like Terence Davis at Ole Miss being a combo guard that had to carry the team. Though Bane shot over 40% from 3. He's pretty much 50/40/80 during his 4 years of college. Not being a chucker will fit in Raptors culture seamlessly. To me drafting Bane would be getting a stronger TD that doesn't finish as well at the rim.

Just hoping that Boston whiffs like usual with their late 1st rounders and same for Philly with all of their early 2nds. :lol:

Just feels like it's better to have combo of 3 late 1sts/early 2nds than a pick in the teens.

Is it that we've had so much time to mull over picks that we all have vast lists of players we like. Usually I'm looking at 3-5 player but this draft it's like 10-12.

I haven't really looked that deep into it yet, but my preference was Dotson, Saddiq Bey and Theo Maledon in that order. I do expect a few more teams to be going after seniors just to copycat the Raptors.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,583

Post#1988 » by Syd-TK3 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:56 pm

Psubs wrote:

I think it's like Terence Davis at Ole Miss being a combo guard that had to carry the team. Though Bane shot over 40% from 3. He's pretty much 50/40/80 during his 4 years of college. Not being a chucker will fit in Raptors culture seamlessly. To me drafting Bane would be getting a stronger TD that doesn't finish as well at the rim. If you want more upside, draft Cassius Stanley. Looks like he would have a quick 3/4 court sprint time; too bad no combine.

Stanley seems like the typical trap pick guy. He can shoot and jump out the gym so he'll turn heads and draw attention but I wouldn't take him with our pick. If we had one in the mid 2nd than sure
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1989 » by Psubs » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:15 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:Stanley seems like the typical trap pick guy. He can shoot and jump out the gym so he'll turn heads and draw attention but I wouldn't take him with our pick. If we had one in the mid 2nd than sure

What do you mean by trap? Gerald Green? Pat Connaughton? I know he'll be average best on the defensive end due to his wingspan. He at least has an elite skill of jumping super high and finishes well with contact in the paint. Based on his running, seems to cover a lot of ground. His other tools are at least workable.

Pat Connaughton actually played PF at Notre Dame (he was the same size as the other forward and got 7 rebounds per game)! :o Cassius at least has the handles of a SG so I think he'd be a rich man's version of Pat.

Really, if Tillman, Reed and Jalen Smith are gone then I'd consider Stanley, Bane, Bey and the other smalls.
Syd-TK3
RealGM

Post#1990 » by Syd-TK3 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:13 am

Psubs wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:Stanley seems like the typical trap pick guy. He can shoot and jump out the gym so he'll turn heads and draw attention but I wouldn't take him with our pick. If we had one in the mid 2nd than sure

What do you mean by trap? Gerald Green? Pat Connaughton? I know he'll be average best on the defensive end due to his wingspan. He at least has an elite skill of jumping super high and finishes well with contact in the paint. Based on his running, seems to cover a lot of ground. His other tools are at least workable.

Pat Connaughton actually played PF at Notre Dame (he was the same size as the other forward and got 7 rebounds per game)! :o Cassius at least has the handles of a SG so I think he'd be a rich man's version of Pat.

Really, if Tillman, Reed and Jalen Smith are gone then I'd consider Stanley, Bane, Bey and the other smalls.

By trap pick I just mean some people gonna fall in love with him and expect more potential based on how flashy and athletic he is. Gerald green obviously isn't a bad outcome but like I said I'd prefer to take a chance on that later in the second. You mentioned Pat and the bucks got him at 41 so that's basically what I was saying.

Those 3 are definitely much higher on my list I'm not really a fan of getting a SG with Powell and Davis here not to mention fred taking some minutes there to
mappiah19
Analyst
And1: 1,139

Post#1991 » by mappiah19 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:58 am

Watched some video of Jared Butler (Baylor) and I like him. Looked at his stats too, not too bad.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,569

Post#1992 » by DreamTeam09 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:48 am

Syd-TK3 wrote:
Psubs wrote:

By trap pick I just mean some people gonna fall in love with him and expect more potential based on how flashy and athletic he is. Gerald green obviously isn't a bad outcome but like I said I'd prefer to take a chance on that later in the second. You mentioned Pat and the bucks got him at 41 so that's basically what I was saying.

Those 3 are definitely much higher on my list I'm not really a fan of getting a SG with Powell and Davis here not to mention fred taking some minutes there to

You shouldn't and can't really have an over-expectation of someone being drafted in the late 20s. No matter whatever gifts they posses, they're being drafted that late for a reason.

But what can and often do happen is that players exceed their draft position due in most part to those gifts that got them drafted in the first place.

Stanley definitely fits that criteria. If he's on the board, I hope we take him.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1993 » by Psubs » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:27 am

Syd-TK3 wrote:
Psubs wrote:

AND MCCAW for another year after this one. :o
Psubs
RealGM

Post#1994 » by Psubs » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:34 am

mappiah19 wrote:Watched some video of Jared Butler (Baylor) and I like him. Looked at his stats too, not too bad.

Maybe at #58 if he drops. I'd rather a big then big guard than small guard as a preference. Even at #58, I'd rather hope that Tillie drops that far. I think he's like a more mobile, with handles Matt Bonner.

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:
Psubs wrote:

You shouldn't and can't really have an over-expectation of someone being drafted in the late 20s. No matter whatever gifts they posses, they're being drafted that late for a reason.

But what can and often do happen is that players exceed their draft position due in most part to those gifts that got them drafted in the first place.

Stanley definitely fits that criteria. If he's on the board, I hope we take him.

Couldn't we envision Stanley be Terrence Ross 2.0? At least not spending a top 10 pick for that. Let's remember that Masai flipped him with a 1st pick for Ibaka! :nod:
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,569

Post#1995 » by DreamTeam09 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:04 am

Psubs wrote:
mappiah19 wrote:Watched some video of Jared Butler (Baylor) and I like him. Looked at his stats too, not too bad.

Maybe at #58 if he drops. I'd rather a big then big guard than small guard as a preference. Even at #58, I'd rather hope that Tillie drops that far. I think he's like a more mobile, with handles Matt Bonner.

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:By trap pick I just mean some people gonna fall in love with him and expect more potential based on how flashy and athletic he is. Gerald green obviously isn't a bad outcome but like I said I'd prefer to take a chance on that later in the second. You mentioned Pat and the bucks got him at 41 so that's basically what I was saying.

Couldn't we envision Stanley be Terrence Ross 2.0? At least not spending a top 10 pick for that. Let's remember that Masai flipped him with a 1st pick for Ibaka! :nod:

If you get a tross at in the late 20s that's a great draft for your team. I think Ross projected as the better shooter and defender coming out of college but Stanley has pretty release and does hit the 3.

He's the player I want

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Syd-TK3
RealGM

Post#1996 » by Syd-TK3 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:32 am

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:
Psubs wrote:

True I get what you're saying. Personally for me though I wouldn't take him at 28.
I just don't think he has enough obvious talent or is likely to be the BPA to draft at our most crowded position
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,214

Post#1997 » by Dalek » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:30 am

Interesting to see that this draft has three Malcolm Brogdon types. The combo guard that is a bit stalky, can play point, shoot it well and is coming into the draft as a senior and older prospect:

Grant Riller - measures out the smallest of the three but had elite scoring considering his usage and efficiency. Probably has the best burst of the three. Likely can only guard 1s, and that might even be a stretch in the NBA.

Desmond Banes - could be a legit SG in the NBA given his size and shooting. Elite shooter all of his college years, and projects to be a a productive defender in the NBA. Don't know if he exactly qualifies as a combo guard but he can initiate the offense to some degree and is a decent secondary ballhandler.

Skylar Mays - I would say that he is the most underrated of the three. Had constant improvement over his three years to get to his elite shooting this past year. He is a sneaky good athlete with strong hands and crafty finishes like Riller. The difference is that I think Mays will be a good defender of 1s and 2s in the NBA. To me he is the closest to Brogdon of the bunch. The best part is he can be a role player straight away and even if it is for defense and playing off the ball, I think he will do well.

The more I watch of Mays the more I see the winning plays. His best game this past year against Auburn showed almost a Lowry like style of play. Steals, deflections, timely threes while playing off the ball, and drives into the paint. The more I watch this guy the more I see him being the steal of the draft.

Psubs
RealGM

Post#1998 » by Psubs » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:53 pm

There seems to be great depth this year, but really we're discussing over who will be as good as Cory Joseph or TRoss. Would the Raptors be more willing to draft someone like Stanley, Pokusevski, Bolmaro that has star potential or Tillman / Reed (Horford)?

Let's look at previous drafts late 1st pick / early 2nd picks to see what we're hoping to draft.

21 - Brandon Clarke
27 - Mfiondu Kabengele

23 - Aaron Holiday
26 - Landry Shamet
33 - Jalen Brunson
36 - Mitchell Robinson

23 - OG Anunoby
27 - Kyle Kuzma
28 - Tony Bradley
29 - Derrick White
30 - Josh Hart
40 - Dwayne Bacon
42 - Thomas Bryant
45 - Dillon Brooks

2017 seems to be the most similar for our #28 pick.

Who were the players that haven't panned out? Pasecniks, Ivan Rabb, Semi Ojeleye, Caleb Swanigan, Frank Jackson, Jordan Bell, Terance Ferguson, T.J. Leaf; all players I was interested in at #23.
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#1999 » by nabbs » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:57 pm

Dalek wrote:Interesting to see that this draft has three Malcolm Brogdon types. The combo guard that is a bit stalky, can play point, shoot it well and is coming into the draft as a senior and older prospect:

Grant Riller - measures out the smallest of the three but had elite scoring considering his usage and efficiency. Probably has the best burst of the three. Likely can only guard 1s, and that might even be a stretch in the NBA.

Desmond Banes - could be a legit SG in the NBA given his size and shooting. Elite shooter all of his college years, and projects to be a a productive defender in the NBA. Don't know if he exactly qualifies as a combo guard but he can initiate the offense to some degree and is a decent secondary ballhandler.

Skylar Mays - I would say that he is the most underrated of the three. Had constant improvement over his three years to get to his elite shooting this past year. He is a sneaky good athlete with strong hands and crafty finishes like Riller. The difference is that I think Mays will be a good defender of 1s and 2s in the NBA. To me he is the closest to Brogdon of the bunch. The best part is he can be a role player straight away and even if it is for defense and playing off the ball, I think he will do well.

The more I watch of Mays the more I see the winning plays. His best game this past year against Auburn showed almost a Lowry like style of play. Steals, deflections, timely threes while playing off the ball, and drives into the paint. The more I watch this guy the more I see him being the steal of the draft.

I love Skylar Mays. If I were the Raps I would look to trade down for 2 picks so we can grab him and someone else. This draft will have a lot of quality players with high floors that will fall to the early second round. I love the way he plays the game and i love his toughness. By all accounts, he fits the Raptor player mould. On top of that, we can always use more reliable ball handlers in the back court and I know that the Raps had a zoom call with him

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
Psubs
RealGM

Post#2000 » by Psubs » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:27 pm

nabbs wrote:
Dalek wrote:Interesting to see that this draft has three Malcolm Brogdon types. The combo guard that is a bit stalky, can play point, shoot it well and is coming into the draft as a senior and older prospect:

I love Skylar Mays. If I were the Raps I would look to trade down for 2 picks so we can grab him and someone else. This draft will have a lot of quality players with high floors that will fall to the early second round. I love the way he plays the game and i love his toughness. By all accounts, he fits the Raptor player mould. On top of that, we can always use more reliable ball handlers in the back court and I know that the Raps had a zoom call with him

Sacramento seems like the smart move. I wonder if we can con them into taking Stanley Johnson (plus cash). #28, Johnson and cash for #35 and #42. This is if Tillman is gone and they think Reed will be there at #35.

#35 Reed
#42 Mays (though I'd prefer Stanley here over Mays)
#58 Tillie or Fitts

Anyone else feel like Cole Anthony could fall to NY at number ... 27?

Ball, Hayes, Haliburton and Lewis should all be drafted before Anthony. Maledon, Hampton, Ramsey, Dotson, Mannion and Terry could be drafted before Anthony.

Return to Toronto Raptors