ImageImage

NBA - The Re-Open: - Connaughton has Covid-19, pg. 94

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Re: NBA - The Re-Open: - Bled positive, asymptomatic 

Post#1881 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:45 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:Absolutely bizarre that Pat hasn’t been with the team & no one’s reported it. Brian Windhorst called the NBA “fascist” in regards to their lack of transparency. Shady.

I think it is only 'shady' if they are locking down information of what is going inside the bubble and hiding things they have control over. There is a huge difference between someone having a medical issue that occurred when the player wasn't with the team and them waiting until the guy is healthy to announce it so it doesn't effect ratings, versus there being an outbreak in the bubble and them trying to hide it avoid public pressure to call it off.

As for the reporting, you also have to factor in the costs and priorities of the journalists. I've heard estimates of mid 5 figures up to six figures to send sent someone down there to cover the game. We really only have 1 local reporter covering the team and he isn't there to see who is and isn't around. I think Velasquez is fine but he doesn't seem to be the investigative type to talk to agents, execs, etc to see if there are rumors of people not down there. If he doesn't report it, who is going to report it? Think the Bucks are gonna blow up facebook with "Patty C HAS COVID! Now check out these dunks!" Nah, it is just the sad state of journalism and reporting in small markets.

There is also the player/agent angle. Patty C is in a contract year. He probably wanted to wait as long as possible so he can say no effects and excited to join the Bucks next week. He doesn't want the news story to be he is sick and have people wondering if he will have long-term issues.

Not saying the shady stuff isn't happening, but we haven't had reports of that yet. Like if a player tested positive in the bubble, or if employees of Disney were sick. If that stuff was covered up, it would be shady in my mind.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,389

Post#1882 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:52 pm

So much angst over "transparency". Who cares? Whoever is good to go next week will suit up and GO BUCKS GO.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#1883 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:54 pm

jschligs wrote:Thought I remember someone saying he was in a wedding over the 4th. Could’ve potentially got it then.

I’ve found that a lot people are only serious about COVID when it’s convenient of them. More then a few friends have been outspoken saying everyone should wear masks, and then they have a wedding and nobody is wearing a mask. Guess that one day doesn’t count because it’s a special day.

I agree it is irresponsible for not postponing the wedding/modifying it into a small wedding, but this isn't a black/white issue. No one is perfect all the time. It's the people who don't give a **** that grind my gears. I will take the hypocrite who 95% of the time avoids restaurants/bars, only essential shopping, wears a mask, etc and 5% wedding/Yolo over the person who is not modifying their behavior at all.
I think people look at what other people are doing looking for an excuse instead of just focusing on what they should be doing to stop the spread.
I also recognize I have a job, family set-up, and lifestyle that is adaptable for social distancing and recognize it can be a lot harder on others. I have an infant at home so its easier for me to say people who go to bars are horrible people. (They are but I would be more likely to be one of them if it happened five years ago :D )
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#1884 » by Chuck Diesel » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:57 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:So much angst over "transparency". Who cares? Whoever is good to go next week will suit up and GO BUCKS GO.

Yeah, who needs transparency at at time like this? All we need to see are balls going through baskets! Go Bucks!
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,656

Post#1885 » by StickeeFingaz » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:05 pm

I don't think Cam was invited. Saw IG videos of him working out at non-Bucks facilities.
#FreeChuckDiesel
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#1886 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:08 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:So much angst over "transparency". Who cares? Whoever is good to go next week will suit up and GO BUCKS GO.

Yeah, who needs transparency at at time like this? All we need to see are balls going through baskets! Go Bucks!

Does Patty C getting Covid say anything about the bubble besides the NBA had initial testing in place? Fingers crossed, so far all this is telling us is the bubble may be safer for your average player than staying home.

This isn't Georgia changing their graph percentages to make it look like the virus isn't rising. This the NBA not voluntarily giving up information on a non-basketball health issue that occurred when a player was on his own time. I do agree though that transparency will be issue if the NBA is covering up positive tests or breakouts.
jschligs
General Manager
And1: 5,900

Post#1887 » by jschligs » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:11 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
jschligs wrote:Thought I remember someone saying he was in a wedding over the 4th. Could’ve potentially got it then.

I’ve found that a lot people are only serious about COVID when it’s convenient of them. More then a few friends have been outspoken saying everyone should wear masks, and then they have a wedding and nobody is wearing a mask. Guess that one day doesn’t count because it’s a special day.

I agree it is irresponsible for not postponing the wedding/modifying it into a small wedding, but this isn't a black/white issue. No one is perfect all the time. It's the people who don't give a **** that grind my gears. I will take the hypocrite who 95% of the time avoids restaurants/bars, only essential shopping, wears a mask, etc and 5% wedding/Yolo over the person who is not modifying their behavior at all.
I think people look at what other people are doing looking for an excuse instead of just focusing on what they should be doing to stop the spread.
I also recognize I have a job, family set-up, and lifestyle that is adaptable for social distancing and recognize it can be a lot harder on others. I have an infant at home so its easier for me to say people who go to bars are horrible people. (They are but I would be more likely to be one of them if it happened five years ago :D )

Oh 100% agree. Those who think this isn't real or just don't give a damn are the worst.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1888 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:12 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:

What info gets out to me or anyone in the public is irrelevant. The team and league have the data. Is your personal life or basketball life changed because you didn't know Pat had it until today? I hope not.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,015

Post#1889 » by humanrefutation » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:15 pm

The fact is, this kind of medical information is supposed to be confidential. Even as it often leaked, that doesn't mean the NBA is just going to hand Windhorst's bloated ass a list of players who have COVID-19 without their consent.
DanoMac
General Manager
And1: 3,736

Post#1890 » by DanoMac » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:19 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
Chuck Diesel wrote:

What info gets out to me or anyone in the public is irrelevant. The team and league has the data. Is your personal life or basketball life changed because you didn't know Pat had it until today? I hope not.

I, for one, am having an even longer day now that it's taking forever to update Pat's chart for my files when I previously had him jotted down as not having COVID.

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,048

Post#1891 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:21 pm

humanrefutation wrote:The fact is, this kind of medical information is supposed to be confidential. Even as it often leaked, that doesn't mean the NBA is just going to hand Windhorst's bloated ass a list of players who have COVID-19 without their consent.

Do think the NBA has to make a decision however on two issues. First, are they champions for progressive causes? Contact tracing would be one of those things. For the Bucks to have two guys who were running around Milwaukee the past month test positive, and sweep it under the rug seems incompatible.

Second, as Windhorst has noted, the NBA not only has significant gambling on games, but is a PARTNER with certain sports books.

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/10/02/nba-partnership-william-hill-official-release

Windhorst is absolutely correct to call them out on this issue. You can't be in bed with sports gaming, but then not be transparent about what players are available to play. The league, the players and their agents needs to sort this out unless they want to be like the WWE.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
FlagsFlyForever
General Manager
And1: 5,260

Post#1892 » by FlagsFlyForever » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:23 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:I don't think Cam was invited. Saw IG videos of him working out at non-Bucks facilities.

The Bucks are allowed to have 17 players. Why would they only bring 16?
Read on Twitter
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,670

Re: NBA - The Re-Open: - Connaughton has Covid-19, pg. 94 

Post#1893 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:25 pm

The NBA isn't a government or public organization. They don't have to be transparent about anything.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1894 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:26 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:The fact is, this kind of medical information is supposed to be confidential. Even as it often leaked, that doesn't mean the NBA is just going to hand Windhorst's bloated ass a list of players who have COVID-19 without their consent.

Do think the NBA has to make a decision however on two issues. First, are they champions for progressive causes? Contact tracing would be one of those things. For the Bucks to have two guys who were running around Milwaukee the past month test positive, and sweep it under the rug seems incompatible.

Second, as Windhorst has noted, the NBA not only has significant gambling on games, but is a PARTNER with certain sports books.

https://www.nba.com/article/2019/10/02/nba-partnership-william-hill-official-release

Windhorst is absolutely correct to call them out on this issue. You can't be in bed with sports gaming, but then not be transparent about what players are available to play. The league, the players and their agents needs to sort this out unless they want to be like the WWE.

We're still more than a week out, what players are available comes into play next week. Hell there are "game time decisions" every game that affect gambling.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,656

Post#1895 » by StickeeFingaz » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:13 pm

ElPeregrino wrote:
StickeeFingaz wrote:I don't think Cam was invited. Saw IG videos of him working out at non-Bucks facilities.

Maybe they thought bringing an extra coach/trainer was a better use of a traveling party spot.
#FreeChuckDiesel
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1896 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:26 pm

StickeeFingaz wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:

Maybe they thought bringing an extra coach/trainer was a better use of a traveling party spot.

Darvin can suit up
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,584

Post#1897 » by JayMKE » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:34 pm

What benefit is there to sharing the information? Your desire as a fan or a journalist/media figure to know everything probably doesn't rank high on their priority list. Saying its about "contact tracing" is dubious at best and last time I checked there wasn't a running scroll on the news of all the people who have be infected, talk about a fascist idea. :lol:
FREE GIANNIS
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1898 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:37 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
StickeeFingaz wrote:
ElPeregrino wrote:The Bucks are allowed to have 17 players. Why would they only bring 16?

Darvin can suit up

Then they'll have to make sure the rims have been Darvin-proofed.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#1899 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:25 pm

Read on Twitter
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#1900 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:30 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hope the Pacers hold onto their 5th seed. Don't want to face the Sixers earlier than necessary and rather face Miami in round 2.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks