Harry Giles

Moderators: KF10, City of Trees, codydaze

darbstar
Junior
And1: 51

Harry Giles 

Post#1 » by darbstar » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:50 am

How is Harry Giles going?

Why did the Kings not pick up his option for next year?
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Re: Harry Giles 

Post#2 » by kalenclayton » Sun Mar 1, 2020 8:10 pm

darbstar wrote:How is Harry Giles going?

The FO said that they wanted to make Giles earn it. There were rumors that Giles came into camp overweight as well. That’s about all I have. I thought it was a stupid decision in the first place. I’m not back there making the decisions though.
BoogieTime
Head Coach
And1: 2,775

Post#3 » by BoogieTime » Sun Mar 1, 2020 8:57 pm

kalenclayton wrote:

The FO said that they wanted to make Giles earn it. There were rumors that Giles came into camp overweight as well. That’s about all I have. I thought it was a stupid decision in the first place. I’m not back there making the decisions though.

He’s not a center or power forward at this time. Doesn’t have the body or rim protection for center. Athleticism still subpar.

He’s played better recently, but I still don’t think it’s a big loss, yet
SmellingColors
Pro Prospect
And1: 139

Post#4 » by SmellingColors » Sun Mar 1, 2020 9:55 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:

He’s not a center or power forward at this time. Doesn’t have the body or rim protection for center. Athleticism still subpar.

I can see that, but his passing and vision can really glue a lineup together. His mid-range has been really good the last few games as well. I think that's due more to consistent playing time. His big problem to me is his tendency to foul, but maybe that's because he's undersized for a center.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#5 » by BoogieTime » Mon Mar 2, 2020 2:43 am

SmellingColors wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:
kalenclayton wrote:The FO said that they wanted to make Giles earn it. There were rumors that Giles came into camp overweight as well. That’s about all I have. I thought it was a stupid decision in the first place. I’m not back there making the decisions though.

I can see that, but his passing and vision can really glue a lineup together. His mid-range has been really good the last few games as well. I think that's due more to consistent playing time. His big problem to me is his tendency to foul, but maybe that's because he's undersized for a center.

True. He is a good passer with good IQ. He’s a bit of a polarizing player, where I know some fans really love him. I like interior D/Rebounding so, for instance, I’d like Len to get the backup minutes over Harry when Richaun comes back, and would look to retain him (for hopefully around the price as Harry’s last year). But others may feel different
snowman
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 2,523

Post#6 » by snowman » Thu Jul 9, 2020 11:13 am

What are the odds that Giles is in a Kings uniform next season ?
kalenclayton
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,716

Post#7 » by kalenclayton » Thu Jul 9, 2020 5:32 pm

snowman wrote:What are the odds that Giles is in a Kings uniform next season ?

It feels like he’s gone, but you can’t help but see that he loves the city and it’s fans. There is real mutual love there. It just comes down to how much teams will be willing to pay for a young big who’s knees scare everyone. If the Kings can still offer him a role for the playoffs and potentially bleed that into next year, I think there’s a chance (like 25%... not that good). Otherwise, he will likely look for greener pastures. I really want to see him stay because I see the potential. I just know that a guy who’s dealt with major injuries would probably be looking to secure a lengthy deal over a one-year “prove it” deal with the Kings.
Sacramento_King
Rookie
And1: 76

Post#8 » by Sacramento_King » Thu Jul 9, 2020 5:50 pm

Considering a guy like Jabari Parker who has similar issues signed last year for 2/13, Looney got 3/14, Bobby Fricking Portis got 1/15, Nene got 2/20 and Mike Scott got 2/9.8, I would say if it is money, we have no chance. Sure he has knee concerns but he has upside and does a offer great passing and a high BB IQ so to imagine someone wont offer over a 1 /4 milly deal is ridiculous. Just an idiotic move by front office.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#9 » by BoogieTime » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:37 am

Sacramento_King wrote:Considering a guy like Jabari Parker who has similar issues signed last year for 2/13, Looney got 3/14, Bobby Fricking Portis got 1/15, Nene got 2/20 and Mike Scott got 2/9.8, I would say if it is money, we have no chance. Sure he has knee concerns but he has upside and does a offer great passing and a high BB IQ so to imagine someone wont offer over a 1 /4 milly deal is ridiculous. Just an idiotic move by front office.

I don’t think he’s even going to play in Orlando. Belo/Holmes/Bagley/Len will be ahead of him IMO, not counting Barnes playing PF as the team has alluded.

Len shouldn’t make too much more than what your suggesting, and he’s better IMO. You can get solid bigs still at that $

IMO your literally mentioning his only asset to the game now, passing
Sactowndog
Kings Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 1,711

Post#10 » by Sactowndog » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:10 pm

BoogieTime wrote:
Sacramento_King wrote:Considering a guy like Jabari Parker who has similar issues signed last year for 2/13, Looney got 3/14, Bobby Fricking Portis got 1/15, Nene got 2/20 and Mike Scott got 2/9.8, I would say if it is money, we have no chance. Sure he has knee concerns but he has upside and does a offer great passing and a high BB IQ so to imagine someone wont offer over a 1 /4 milly deal is ridiculous. Just an idiotic move by front office.

I don’t think he’s even going to play in Orlando. Belo/Holmes/Bagley/Len will be ahead of him IMO, not counting Barnes playing PF as the team has alluded.

Len shouldn’t make too much more than what your suggesting, and he’s better IMO. You can get solid bigs still at that $

IMO your literally mentioning his only asset to the game now, passing

Well Len and Barnes appear to be out with Barnes questionable to get back in time at all.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,446

Post#11 » by KF10 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:47 pm

When Giles was injured and out a while ago, the Kings pimped Giles HARD almost every day through their social media outlets. And then fast forward to the day when his option was NOT going to be picked up, you can't help but to think how bad the Kings bungled this.

I'm still not sure what was the rationale of them not picking up his option. If I remember correctly, the "official" stance was that Giles "need to earn it" some sort of go out there and play type of deals. But I find that ironic when the organization has kept whispering in Giles ears for more than a year that he is part of the future core and hyped this kid up. I wouldn't be surprised that Giles got a big head and believed the hype that was coming to him. He got the carpet pulled under him by the organization when they decided he was expendable. Even if Giles never amounts into the player that the organization once thought, this whole situation was simply bad optics and is right on cue with the many bad decisions the Kings have made in the past 15 years.
BoogieTime
Head Coach

Post#12 » by BoogieTime » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:30 pm

KF10 wrote:When Giles was injured and out a while ago, the Kings pimped Giles HARD almost every day through their social media outlets. And then fast forward to the day when his option was NOT going to be picked up, you can't help but to think how bad the Kings bungled this.

I'm still not sure what was the rationale of them not picking up his option. If I remember correctly, the "official" stance was that Giles "need to earn it" some sort of go out there and play type of deals. But I find that ironic when the organization has kept whispering in Giles ears for more than a year that he is part of the future core and hyped this kid up. I wouldn't be surprised that Giles got a big head and believed the hype that was coming to him. He got the carpet pulled under him by the organization when they decided he was expendable. Even if Giles never amounts into the player that the organization once thought, this whole situation was simply bad optics and is right on cue with the many bad decisions the Kings have made in the past 15 years.

The rationale is they don’t think he’s that good, as many fans also believe and advanced stats back up pretty soundly

But your right about the hype.. It wasn’t just the organization, but players and media as well. It showed just how starved the area is for winning basketball
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#13 » by KF10 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:45 pm

BoogieTime wrote:The rationale is they don’t think he’s that good, as many fans also believe and advanced stats back up pretty soundly

But your right about the hype.. It wasn’t just the organization, but players and media as well. It showed just how starved the area is for winning basketball

I get it, we suck and don't have much of anything. But that's simply on cue with the Kings, huh?

The Kings' hype machine has always worked their propaganda stuff on every young player we have. I simply cringed the whole Giles' hype performance. I know it is a business and it's their job to sell merchandise and get as many eye balls as they can on their product. But I'm a Kings fan since as long as I can remember and I can clearly see right through their tactics. At some point, you get turned off by it. I'm a simple guy. When we finally get a consistent winning culture, I don't care what the organization does with their PR stuff. Hype the ball boy, I don't care. But if we stink (like the Kings for the past 15 years), I want them to STFU with their constant glorification on every mediocre player we have. Remember Ray McCallum? Jason Thompson? The list goes on and on.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,535

Post#14 » by codydaze » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:10 pm

KF10 wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:The rationale is they don’t think he’s that good, as many fans also believe and advanced stats back up pretty soundly

I get it, we suck and don't have much of anything. But that's simply on cue with the Kings, huh?

The Kings' hype machine has always worked their propaganda stuff on every young player we have. I simply cringed the whole Giles' hype performance. I know it is a business and it's their job to sell merchandise and get as many eye balls as they can on their product. But I'm a Kings fan since as long as I can remember and I can clearly see right through their tactics. At some point, you get turned off by it. I'm a simple guy. When we finally get a consistent winning culture, I don't care what the organization does with their PR stuff. Hype the ball boy, I don't care. But if we stink (like the Kings for the past 15 years), I want them to STFU with their constant glorification on every mediocre player we have. Remember Ray McCallum? Jason Thompson? The list goes on and on.

There's a video on the Kings youtube channel still from 2009 touting Jason Thompson and Spencer Hawes as the future. Literally making Webber/Divac comparisons. It's tough to stomach.
God Squad
RealGM
And1: 10,184

Post#15 » by God Squad » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:17 am

I think you guys should have picked up his option, simply because you cant afford to lose assets for nothing. Now add in the fact that he's looked okay for you guys. I'm sure teams are looking at him as we speak for a roster spot next year.
codydaze
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 4,535

Post#16 » by codydaze » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:07 pm

God Squad wrote:I think you guys should have picked up his option, simply because you cant afford to lose assets for nothing. Now add in the fact that he's looked okay for you guys. I'm sure teams are looking at him as we speak for a roster spot next year.

You are preaching to the choir, my friend.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#17 » by City of Trees » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:43 am

So Vlade served Harry a dish of tough love by declining his option for showing up out of shape last year. I just can't with that guy....

At this point a return to Sacramento is completely up to Harry because there will be other teams who outbid the Kings. Book it.

I think we watched Giles last game in a Kings uniform.
KF10
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#18 » by KF10 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 6:19 pm

Giles is a flawed player. The Kings has hyped this kid so much.

The guys knees are blasted and he isn’t good at all.

The moment he came to the season out of shape, that’s enough for me to write him off.

Let him be some other teams problem.
ICMTM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 176

Post#19 » by ICMTM » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:13 am

He has NBA skill. Doesn't have an NBA body and his athleticism isn't at an elite level. Also I think his size says he should be a 3 but he doesn't move like a wing. I think we saw the gamble through. I like Giles. He's not projecting anywhere near an all star level.

Also Carmichael Dave's love for Harry Giles has blinded some from the truth.
KANGZZZZZ!

Return to Sacramento Kings