ImageImageImage

Kemba Walker Thread

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,011

Re: Kemba Walker Thread = (Knee Issues, should Celtics be Concerned?) 

Post#521 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:25 am

Read on Twitter
░N░0░0░D░S░ ░I░N░ ░B░I░O░
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,377

Post#522 » by threrf23 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:37 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hopefully this ends better than...

Read on Twitter

Luckily, it should.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#523 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:48 am

threrf23 wrote:
ConstableGeneva wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hopefully this ends better than...

Read on Twitter

Luckily, it should.

They couldn't be any more different in terms of leadership style. Even in crunch time, Kemba doesn't demand the ball. Several times this season, he allowed Tatum to take over down the stretch and just play decoy or setup man.

Two main things I worry about Kemba -- playoff defense (when opposing teams hunt mismatches even more) and his knee (wasn't all that worried when we signed him).
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,377

Post#524 » by threrf23 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:58 am

ConstableGeneva wrote:They couldn't be any more different in terms of leadership style. Even in crunch time, Kemba doesn't demand the ball. Several times this season, he allowed Tatum to take over down the stretch and just play decoy or setup man.

Two main things I worry about Kemba -- playoff defense (when opposing teams hunt mismatches even more) and his knee (wasn't all that worried when we signed him).

Oh I know. I just saw the tweet and thought back to Terry talking about how Kyrie was a real team player, inferring that it was something that set him apart from IT.

I'm not real worried about Kemba's playoff defense, provided his knee is healthy and he can give 100% effort. He can be a pesky defender, his defensive metrics in Charlotte weren't always bad, and we've got pieces to cover him - it's just up to Brad to scheme.
MambaForever
Ballboy
And1: 51

Post#525 » by MambaForever » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:29 am

Triple7 wrote:
MambaForever wrote:A silver lining to this could be; using Kemba as the 6th man and inserting Smart into the starting lineup. I think it would greatly balance out the line ups.

Nah! That wouldn’t work. Kemba would just be overworked carrying the load for the 2nd unit. That’s not the best option for a guy with lingering knee issues.

I’m mainly concerned about his knee on defense
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,847

Post#526 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:32 pm

MambaForever wrote:A silver lining to this could be; using Kemba as the 6th man and inserting Smart into the starting lineup. I think it would greatly balance out the line ups.

My hottest take is that the Celtics are the 2014 Golden State Warriors and that, after Kemba has offseason knee surgery and misses the start of next year [I think this happens for sure], we insert Smart into the starting lineup and he has a ‘Draymond for David Lee’ type impact on the team and we become a juggernaut and Smart never gives up that spot.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,287

Post#527 » by themoneyteam2 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:49 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

My hottest take is that the Celtics are the 2014 Golden State Warriors and that, after Kemba has offseason knee surgery and misses the start of next year [I think this happens for sure], we insert Smart into the starting lineup and he has a ‘Draymond for David Lee’ type impact on the team and we become a juggernaut and Smart never gives up that spot.

Ehh doubt it. Smart already plays 30 MPG so we already know what he does. Moving Kemba to the bench does nothing since Smart already plays starter minutes.

Warriors were unique since Draymond barely played and then suddenly went to a 30 MPG guy, while changing the style of their team going small.
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#528 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:56 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Ehh doubt it. Smart already plays 30 MPG so we already know what he does. Moving Kemba to the bench does nothing since Smart already plays starter minutes.

Warriors were unique since Draymond barely played and then suddenly went to a 30 MPG guy, while changing the style of their team going small.

Having a PG that can switch 1-4 is incredibly rare [maybe 2 other players in the NBA] and having a team that can switch up or down 1-5 is basically unheard of. Our defense alone would carry us to 60 wins, IMO.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#529 » by themoneyteam2 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:27 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Having a PG that can switch 1-4 is incredibly rare [maybe 2 other players in the NBA] and having a team that can switch up or down 1-5 is basically unheard of. Our defense alone would carry us to 60 wins, IMO.

Yeah I see what you’re saying but Smart already gets starter minutes and they’re only a 55 win team. I think subtracting Kemba puts them at below 50 wins since now you need even more bench production if Smart is in the starting lineup.

Unless you’re saying to bench Kemba or are you suggesting to trade him?
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#530 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:37 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:

Yeah I see what you’re saying but Smart already gets starter minutes and they’re only a 55 win team. I think subtracting Kemba puts them at below 50 wins since now you need even more bench production if Smart is in the starting lineup.

Bench. Let him get ~30MPG, just reshuffle them.
themoneyteam2
Lead Assistant

Post#531 » by themoneyteam2 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:24 pm

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

Bench. Let him get ~30MPG, just reshuffle them.

Gotcha. I personally don't put a lot of stock into who starts if they are going to play 30 mins anyways. More important is who closes games.

I guess I just disagree on Smart starting being like the Warriors taking David Lee out of the lineup since that was a fundamental change to their style of play, whereas Celtics still run same offense but defense is obviously superior if Smart is starter. He already gets starter minutes so I don't think that would make them a 60 win team but that's just my opinion!
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#532 » by Fencer reregistered » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:46 pm

themoneyteam2 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:

The comparison fails, I think, because Kemba is in the Curry role. Walker/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Theis combines three outstanding defenders with two energetic and adequate ones. A further defensive upgrade from there may not be all that productive.

(Switch out Walker and Theis for Smart and Kanter, and you still have three outstanding defenders and two energetic and adequate ones. But that simplistic view can't easily be carried across the rest of a rotation.)
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
SmartWentCrazy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#533 » by SmartWentCrazy » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:07 pm

Fencer reregistered wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:
SmartWentCrazy wrote:

The comparison fails, I think, because Kemba is in the Curry role. Walker/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Theis combines three outstanding defenders with two energetic and adequate ones. A further defensive upgrade from there may not be all that productive.

(Switch out Walker and Theis for Smart and Kanter, and you still have three outstanding defenders and two energetic and adequate ones. But that simplistic view can't easily be carried across the rest of a rotation.)

Tatum is in the Curry role, FWIW.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,254

Post#534 » by shackles10 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:14 pm

Either way it’s comparing Kemba to David Lee and no matter how close you think Smart is to Draymond, Kemba is miles ahead of David Lee.
Celtics1918
Freshman
And1: 28

Post#535 » by Celtics1918 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:49 pm

My only concern about Kemba Walker is if he can drive to the basket like the beginning of the season ? I hope he doesn't just rely on his jump shot. After he got hurt he was one dimensional which made it easier to guard him plus his defense took a hit. That's what I'm a afraid of.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#536 » by celticfan42487 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:16 am

Celtics1918 wrote:My only concern about Kemba Walker is if he can drive to the basket like the beginning of the season ? I hope he doesn't just rely on his jump shot. After he got hurt he was one dimensional which made it easier to guard him plus his defense took a hit. That's what I'm a afraid of.

This is the main concern.

Tatum can become whomever, but both Smart and Brown don't make offense on their own. Theis doesn't.

Kemba still leads the team on pick and role PPP for a reason.

This team needs a player with all-star level PG skills.

I don't care if it's a healthy Kemba, a fountain of youth Gordon Hayward, or trading them both for a **** all-star that won't lose his talent to injuries (IT, Hayward, hell maybe Kemba next year). We need at least one more all-star level healthy player with all-star level PG skills and playmaking. We have been the hardest hit franchise when it comes to injuries outside of a Warrior or Cavs team in the Finals.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM

Post#537 » by ConstableGeneva » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:27 am

celticfan42487 wrote:
Celtics1918 wrote:My only concern about Kemba Walker is if he can drive to the basket like the beginning of the season ? I hope he doesn't just rely on his jump shot. After he got hurt he was one dimensional which made it easier to guard him plus his defense took a hit. That's what I'm a afraid of.

This is the main concern.

Tatum can become whomever, but both Smart and Brown don't make offense on their own. Theis doesn't.

Kemba still leads the team on pick and role PPP for a reason.

This team needs a player with all-star level PG skills.

I don't care if it's a healthy Kemba, a fountain of youth Gordon Hayward, or trading them both for a **** all-star that won't lose his talent to injuries (IT, Hayward, hell maybe Kemba next year). We need at least one more all-star level healthy player with all-star level PG skills and playmaking. We have been the hardest hit franchise when it comes to injuries outside of a Warrior or Cavs team in the Finals.

We don't have a reliable, consistent north-to-south driver outside of a healthy Kemba. Utah Hayward used to be able to do that. He's lost his explosiveness on his drives so he does that way less now. Tatum is more pullup from three in PnR or drive via catch on the curl/screen. Almost every potent offense needs someone who can go downhill and draw defense into the paint -- Doncic for DAL, Harden/Westbrook for HOU, Lebron for LAL, LouWill for LAC, Giannis for MIL, etc. Both Brown and Hayward have been super efficient with their opportunities, Kemba/Tatum have been masters at pullup threes, and Stevens has had to be creative with his sets for us to have a top 5 offense right now. But we need Kemba's drive-and-kick/finish game. Hopefully, Tatum's ability to draw fouls will continue and supporting cast's shooting will be on point during this restart and playoff run.
Ill News
General Manager
And1: 16,306

Post#538 » by Ill News » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:50 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:

That's not crazy at all, and with how selfless Kemba has proven to be this season, he might not mind shifting to a super-sub role.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,528

Post#539 » by Fencer reregistered » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:14 am

SmartWentCrazy wrote:
Fencer reregistered wrote:
themoneyteam2 wrote:

Tatum is in the Curry role, FWIW.

My post was focused on defense.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
Parliament10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 53,213

Post#540 » by Parliament10 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:14 am

"You have to put the work in.
Nothing is given."

~ Jayson Tatum

Return to Boston Celtics