ImageImage

Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

engelmartin
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,871

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#841 » by engelmartin » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:29 pm

Markus Howard in the second? Would love to watch him in summer league... or maybe winter league?
KnicksGod wrote:Middleton probably the most underrated player in NBA History
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,637

Post#842 » by machu46 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:30 pm

Mannion is one of those guys where I think teams taking him in the 1st round are doing it more based on what they saw in high school than what they saw in college and even as someone that thinks he's worth considering, it is admittedly a pretty massive risk.

I think he's probably a better shooter than his numbers suggest and I like his passing ability a lot, but man, I really wish we could see him as a sophomore in college before we had to draft him. I think there's enough prospects that I'll prefer over him that it's best to just let another team gamble on him, but I am still kinda interested.

Maledon was one of the guys that jumped out at me like a year ago and he remains one of the guys I'm most interested in now.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 34,974

Post#843 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:37 pm

machu46 wrote:Mannion is one of those guys where I think teams taking him in the 1st round are doing it more based on what they saw in high school than what they saw in college and even as someone that thinks he's worth considering, it is admittedly a pretty massive risk.

I think he's probably a better shooter than his numbers suggest and I like his passing ability a lot, but man, I really wish we could see him as a sophomore in college before we had to draft him. I think there's enough prospects that I'll prefer over him that it's best to just let another team gamble on him, but I am still kinda interested.

Maledon was one of the guys that jumped out at me like a year ago and he remains one of the guys I'm most interested in now.

I guess one thing to remember is this season should have been his senior year of HS. If you're a believer in his shooting being plus-plus at some point, then i guess go for it. But there are already other dudes who shoot a lot better and don't have alligator arms.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,647

Post#844 » by emunney » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:46 pm

Offensively Mannion passes the eye test in a lot of ways. I don't think it's just about high school and guys are more than their numbers. Sometimes there's a lag in production. It means something that he was running that team full time, and FT% is often a leading indicator of long term shooting ability. It's not damning to be overall inefficient as a college freshman.

Badgerlander posted his midrange #s, which are very good, and you have to account for the fact that he's getting all that himself and that he's the guy taking the tough shots on that team. He's got a NBA-style skillset for sure, jury's out on whether it will be NBA-quality.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,565

Post#845 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:05 pm

I guess I just don't even see what his theoretical upside is. A worse defensive version of Jamaal Tinsley? He has to improve in so many areas in order to become a difference-maker at the pro level. He's an advanced passer/floor general but guys like that who can't defend or space the floor consistently is a player archetype that's getting phased out of the league.
machu46
General Manager
And1: 3,637

Post#846 » by machu46 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:12 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
machu46 wrote:Mannion is one of those guys where I think teams taking him in the 1st round are doing it more based on what they saw in high school than what they saw in college and even as someone that thinks he's worth considering, it is admittedly a pretty massive risk.

I guess one thing to remember is this season should have been his senior year of HS. If you're a believer in his shooting being plus-plus at some point, then i guess go for it. But there are already other dudes who shoot a lot better and don't have alligator arms.

There's undoubtedly better shooters if that's all you're looking for. I don't think there are many better passers though, and passers that could potentially be good shooters are even more limited.

Still though, of the realistic PG targets for us, he's probably somewhere around 5th or so so I doubt he'll be the guy I want when the time comes.
trwi7 wrote:**** me deep, Giannis. ****. Me. Deep.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#847 » by Badgerlander » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:45 pm

emunney wrote:Offensively Mannion passes the eye test in a lot of ways. I don't think it's just about high school and guys are more than their numbers. Sometimes there's a lag in production. It means something that he was running that team full time, and FT% is often a leading indicator of long term shooting ability. It's not damning to be overall inefficient as a college freshman.

Badgerlander posted his midrange #s, which are very good, and you have to account for the fact that he's getting all that himself and that he's the guy taking the tough shots on that team. He's got a NBA-style skillset for sure, jury's out on whether it will be NBA-quality.

Yeah I think at the point we are at in the draft (if it falls like the athletic mock) we are either drafting a young project (Maledon, Mannion, etc) that you hope develops into a starting caliber nba player, or you are grabbing a guy that you hope their ceiling is more than a role player (Bane, Green, Riller, etc). Feels a lot like the DJ Wilson Draft.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
emunney
RealGM

Post#848 » by emunney » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:54 pm

Badgerlander wrote:
emunney wrote:Offensively Mannion passes the eye test in a lot of ways. I don't think it's just about high school and guys are more than their numbers. Sometimes there's a lag in production. It means something that he was running that team full time, and FT% is often a leading indicator of long term shooting ability. It's not damning to be overall inefficient as a college freshman.

Yeah I think at the point we are at in the draft (if it falls like the athletic mock) we are either drafting a young project (Maledon, Mannion, etc) that you hope develops into a starting caliber nba player, or you are grabbing a guy that you hope their ceiling is more than a role player (Bane, Green, Riller, etc). Feels a lot like the DJ Wilson Draft.

The Year the Owner's Son Posted Our Draft Board on Twitter
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#849 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:20 pm

Also the year where we passed on some really good players (John Collins, OG Anunoby) who might be future All-Stars or All-Defense guys. Exhibit A on why not to draft guys for specific roles or needs.
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,686

Post#850 » by LuessiT » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:29 pm

My problem with the Maledon projections is that I don't think he's that much of a gamble nor does he have that crazy of a ceiling. If you have a decent development team in place and don't need production from your rookie, I actually think he's a pretty safe pick.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,883

Post#851 » by RiotPunch » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:56 pm

LuessiT wrote:My problem with the Maledon projections is that I don't think he's that much of a gamble nor does he have that crazy of a ceiling. If you have a decent development team in place and don't need production from your rookie, I actually think he's a pretty safe pick.

Agreed. He's just pretty solid. He's a good shooter, capable passer and you love the size. Obviously to be able to contribute as he has in EuroLeage at his age doesn't hurt either.

I really do worry about his burst though, on both ends. He struggles often to get by dudes now and finds teammates more out of necessity because he can't turn the corner rather than out of anticipation. On defense, he struggles in space and has too many head-scratching rotations for my liking. Sort of a jumbo-Jalen Brunson meets NAW type, in my view.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Chuck Diesel
RealGM
And1: 11,556

Post#852 » by Chuck Diesel » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:41 pm

I would trade this pick for Gary Trent Jr.
BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,363

Post#853 » by BucksFanSD » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:14 pm

Chuck Diesel wrote:I would trade this pick for Gary Trent Jr.

As would I. For the 2018 draft I had Mitchell Robinson and Gary Trent Jr. as my 1a and 1b desires for the Bucks pick at #17 overall. They ended up being drafted #36 and #37, way lower than I expected them to go. I do think Tyrell Terry could match Trent's shooting ability from long range, which either of them would be huge for Giannis.
emunney
RealGM

Post#854 » by emunney » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:30 pm

Portland played with some weird ass lineups this year.
emunney
RealGM

Post#855 » by emunney » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:38 pm

I'm on the fence on trading the pick for Trent. If he looks like an ascending scorer next summer, which you'd hope he is if you make the trade, he's going to be extremely difficult for us to keep. The cost certainty of the 1st rounder should be very appealing to a team looking for short-term continuity. That said, if you think he's Buddy Hield, and assuming he is, you'd do what you needed to do to keep him as a core piece and a guy who can panic the defense alongside Giannis and Khris, I get it.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#856 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:47 pm

I mean, you better hope he's Buddy Hield if you're gonna pay him based on the one season he'd play for you as a bench wing. I'd much rather just use that pick to get 4 cheap years of a similar type player. No shortage of sharpshooting wings in this class.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#857 » by M-C-G » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:43 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I mean, you better hope he's Buddy Hield if you're gonna pay him based on the one season he'd play for you as a bench wing. I'd much rather just use that pick to get 4 cheap years of a similar type player. No shortage of sharpshooting wings in this class.

This was exactly what I was thinking. Trading for the last year of a guy and then being forced to decide to resign him or let him walk is not the position we need to be in. Cost controlled assets on the other hand, that works for me. Plus, I really want to see what Bud and Horst do in this next draft. Was DDV a fluke, beautiful chemistry between a coach and GM, something in between?

If DDV is an output of their chemistry together, draft picks just got a lot more valuable to us.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,883

Post#858 » by RiotPunch » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:19 pm

It is more of a philosophical discussion re: Trent.

Production and spacing now, and worrying about financials later versus a *chance* at similar production and spacing at a far lower cost.

It is interesting. Depending on the board at #19, and if we could get #44 included, I would entertain the idea. I think the early/mid 40's is a good place to be this draft to land a solid player. Undervalued dudes like Bane, Joe, Flynn, Mays, Tillie could easily drop to that range.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#859 » by Badgerlander » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:56 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Sounds like Trent may be in the rotation in Orlando

Spoiler:

Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#860 » by Badgerlander » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:57 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Spoiler:

Return to Milwaukee Bucks