ImageImageImageImageImage

Jordan Poole - are we underrating his potential?

Moderators: Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose, Sleepy51

Kuya
Assistant Coach
And1: 808

Jordan Poole - are we underrating his potential? 

Post#1 » by Kuya » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:46 am

i expected a slightly stronger rookie year tbh, but Kerr was experimenting a lot.

Poole did show flashes this season and I think we're underrating his future impact for this team
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Re: Jordan Poole - are we underrating his potential? 

Post#2 » by EvanZ » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:38 pm

We passed over a bunch of guys that were higher on my board to take Poole. We better hope he is being underrated.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,023

Post#3 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:39 pm

EvanZ wrote:We passed over a bunch of guys that were higher on my board to take Poole. We better hope he is being underrated.

I wanted Terrence Davis, but taking him in the first would have been outrageous, and then he chose to not come to the Warriors.

Kevin Porter was on my list, but there were (and are) questions about him and fitting in the locker room and the scheme.

Nic Claxton was interesting I guess ... but there wasn't a ton of talent between 28 and 41 that the Warriors missed out on that warranted a 1st round pick. Poole's potential made sense at the time, and I think it can still work out.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,838

Post#4 » by whatisacenter » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:44 pm

EvanZ wrote:We passed over a bunch of guys that were higher on my board to take Poole. We better hope he is being underrated.

how did the players on your board you had higher pan out? I just looked at the 2019 draft and did not see any players drafted after him that make him look like a bad selection. Paschall was one that stood out but luckily it was the Warriors who picked him.

Poole started off the season shooting so poorly and looking a little lost on the court that it was nice to see him show some improvement as the season went along. Time will tell if he can become a solid contributor moving forward which is all one can expect from a 28th pick.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#5 » by EvanZ » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:52 pm

whatisacenter wrote:

how did the players on your board you had higher pan out? I just looked at the 2019 draft and did not see any players drafted after him that make him look like a bad selection. Paschall was one that stood out but luckily it was the Warriors who picked him.

So here is a list of guys I had ahead of Poole that were available at our pick (my rank in parentheses):

• Jontay Porter (6)
  • Nic Claxton (11)
  • Bol (15)
  • Talen Horton-Tucker (18)
  • KPJ (21)
  • Iggy Brazdeikis
  • Bruno Fernando

Time will tell, but I think at least half of these guys will have significantly better careers than Poole.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#6 » by Mylie10 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:56 pm

I think Brazdeikis is going to be a solid player for a long time.

What I didn’t care for early on was Pooles attitude. He sucked for a very long time and then he had a good game and made the comment, “Oh now you guys wanna talk to me?” I like kids with confidence, but I need guys to earn it first.

He did play much better after his G league stint, so I give him credit.

And I had Paschall way higher on my board than Poole who I didn’t have anywhere.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,255

Post#7 » by Onus » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:14 pm

We should probably define what Poole’s potential is before we can say if he’s being underrated?

Best case scenario for me is probably a 6th man combo guard
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:46 pm

EvanZ wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

So here is a list of guys I had ahead of Poole that were available at our pick (my rank in parentheses):

• Jontay Porter (6)
  • Nic Claxton (11)
  • Bol (15)
  • KPJ (21)
  • Iggy Brazdeikis
  • Bruno Fernando

Time will tell, but I think at least half of these guys will have significantly better careers than Poole.

I had some of them on my list too, but none were way ahead of Poole at the time. Never did get the level of love for Bazdeikis.

Basically looking for a wing who could defend ... Poole didn't fit that, but it didn't look like there was much of that left now that the NBA has gone all in on that model they are just not lasting to the 2nd round anymore.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,562

Post#9 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:47 pm

I think he could be a reasonable bench contributor with a decent NBA career if things pan out well. Marco Belinelli perhaps. So underrating him would probably suggest he's an NBA starter. That's possible, but it would be a pleasant surprise. For much of last year, he looked *horrible*. By the end of last year, he showed a burst of what I'd have loved to see at the beginning of the year.

I'll be happy if he sticks around as a valuable contributor. More than that would mean I underrated him, but I'd love to be wrong and see that.

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,588

Post#10 » by HiRez » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:08 pm

I don't give a crap about potential, we need guys who can reliably contribute right now to a championship run. The jury is still out on Poole and I sure hope he turns it around but that was an abysmal rookie year for a FRP.
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:35 pm

HiRez wrote:I don't give a crap about potential, we need guys who can reliably contribute right now to a championship run. The jury is still out on Poole and I sure hope he turns it around but that was an abysmal rookie year for a FRP.

Potential matters when you are talking about 20 year old rookies. Kobe Bryant didn't start his 8th game in the NBA until his 3rd season, would you have cut him or would you have seen his potential and developed it?

(I am NOT saying Poole has anything like Kobe's potential, merely pointing out that potential really does matter when building a team)
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#12 » by KevinMcreynolds » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:26 pm

His Feb/Mar numbers (in 15 games, 25 mpg):

46.7% FG
32.0% 3P
12.7 ppg
2.4 rpg
3.7 apg

if he can get that 3P in the high 30's and do it in games that matter I'm on board
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,706

Post#13 » by Flash Falcon X » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:41 pm

Could be a great bench player with Steph and Klay back to take pressure off of him. This may help with his development because we won’t be as rushed to produce, and he can watch and learn from the Splash Bros.

I love his ability to create shots, and once he gets some confidence and consistency we could some big improvements. I still remember some of the frustration with Klay his rookie year, like when he’d go on an entire road trip without getting to the free throw line and stuff like that. Of course Poole most likely be the next Klay but could be an impactful 6th man to hit key shots off for the squad.
#DubNation
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by Scoots1994 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:17 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:His Feb/Mar numbers (in 15 games, 25 mpg):

46.7% FG
32.0% 3P
12.7 ppg
2.4 rpg
3.7 apg

if he can get that 3P in the high 30's and do it in games that matter I'm on board

If he can get PT with Steph and Klay he'll have a ton of room to work. He had a good chance to take a big step in his game for his 2nd season, but that may be significantly hampered by corona.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,215

Post#15 » by wco81 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:50 pm

He should be in the gym all the time right now.

If the season wasn’t disrupted, it would be the offseason and he’d be expected to get stronger, fitter and optimize quickness, explosiveness.
Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#16 » by Money_ » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:09 pm

I'm trying to think of solid contributors off the bench because that's what we need. A solid scoring presence to take some of the heat off the starters and other players on the second unit. Patty Mills, JJ Barea, or even KMart come to mind. Will Poole end up being that? not clear at this point...
EvanZ
RealGM

Post#17 » by EvanZ » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:12 pm

EvanZ wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

• Jontay Porter (6)
  • Nic Claxton (11)
  • Bol (15)
  • KPJ (21)
  • Iggy Brazdeikis
  • Bruno Fernando

Watching Bol against the Wizards. :(
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,144

Post#18 » by TB » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:28 pm

He impressed me more than I was expecting. That being said, I had him as "don't draft" on my board. The thing is, I thought he was just a swaggy P microwave shooter. I get that he was statistically awful, but I actually really liked how his handles, vision, hands and effort on defense looked throughout the year.

I'll mostly be angry with Poole as long as Kevin Porter continues to look like the perfect pick for us. I had Paschall, Porter, Bol as my top 3 when we drafted Poole... and after 1 year, Porter looks alot better and plays a position we need, backup 2/3. Would love to have those 3 instead of Poole and Smiley.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,255

Post#19 » by Onus » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:34 pm

EvanZ wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:

• Jontay Porter (6)
  • Nic Claxton (11)
  • Bol (15)
  • KPJ (21)
  • Iggy Brazdeikis
  • Bruno Fernando

Watching Bol against the Wizards. :(

Bol seems like the big miss. But everyone else seems kind of meh other than kpj who had his own character issues.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#20 » by Mylie10 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:47 pm

Mylie10 wrote:I think Brazdeikis is going to be a solid player for a long time.

What I didn’t care for early on was Pooles attitude. He sucked for a very long time and then he had a good game and made the comment, “Oh now you guys wanna talk to me?” I like kids with confidence, but I need guys to earn it first.

He did play much better after his G league stint, so I give him credit.

And I had Paschall way higher on my board than Poole who I didn’t have anywhere.

Brazdeikis G league stats:

21 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists
6’6” 220 left handed. Shot 50% overall with 34% from 3.

His 3 point shot needs to improve but his stroke is sound. I watched a ton of him at Michigan and he reminds me of a more physical Chris Mullin. Obviously not the elite shooter like Mullin, but I guarantee him to be a solid pro for 10 years.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...

Return to Golden State Warriors