ImageImageImage

Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

NYPiston
Analyst
And1: 3,030

Re: Official 2020 Nba Draft Thread 

Post#361 » by NYPiston » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:46 pm

As long as Griffin and Rose are healthy (big if of course), the Pistons aren't tanking so get ready to be disappointed. I wouldn't be surprised if they add a significant player this offseason to maximize the Blake/Rose window. When Griffin comes off the books or is moved (I think they'll try to move him next offseason), that's when we'll see a period of tanking but next year will be that dreaded "transition" year towards a true rebuild, can't truly rebuild with Griffin and Rose leading the way.

To move it back in topic, Hayes is probably the best fit for what the Pistons need. It's really hard to get a read on these Euros but he seems like a playmaker, a guy who can create his own shot and get to the rim. Those have been in short supply on the Pistons for a long while now. Edwards would fit the bill too.
Realistically, the Pistons need everything so BPA should be the rule. Ideally, I'd look to trade down and collect more picks (preferably 2021 draft picks).
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#362 » by The_Irony » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:44 pm

LaSheed wrote:Athletic wing that can't shoot fits exactly what OKC surrounded Westbrook around.

Okoro fits the pick. And man is he athletic. Im 100% ok with it because atleast his form is ok. Really really starting to lean that way.

If we come out with Hayes/Okoro/Edwards im happy.

I looked at alot of Okoro yesterday and can definitely see Okoro being the pick and ahead of guys like Haliburton, Deni, Onyeka in a Pistons big board. He fits the mold of Piston DNA and is aware of his nba comparisons. His athleticism is something Detroit hasn't had in who knows how long and he'd instantly be our best defender next to bruce. Comparing him to Stanley is shortsighted as Stanley Johnson has had nearly as many dunks in his nba career as me. Mind boggling how low his vertical is.

Okoros mentality seems to be undervalued in Detroits front office in the past but hopefully that completely changes under Weaver. I wouldn't worry about his 3 ball too much as I mentioned with Melo, 3pt shooting can be developed but heart and toughness CAN NOT be developed. This team has had too many soft, mentally weak players over the past 10 years and hope this org finally accepts that will never translate to wins or resonate with fans in Detroit.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#363 » by The_Irony » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:20 pm

Taking a look at the draft results from last season, it's safe to say the lotto will be unpredictable. As it stands now the Pistons have close to 45% shot at landing 1-4 while close to 55% at landing 6-9. New Orleans and Memphis jumping 6 spots was ridiculous but very realistic in the new lotto system. Keep this in mind if you feel like we got screwed if we end up with pick 8 or 9.
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,297

Post#364 » by NotACat » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:02 pm

The_Irony wrote:Image

Taking a look at the draft results from last season, it's safe to say the lotto will be unpredictable. As it stands now the Pistons have close to 45% shot at landing 1-4 while close to 55% at landing 6-9. New Orleans and Memphis jumping 6 spots was ridiculous but very realistic in the new lotto system. Keep this in mind if you feel like we got screwed if we end up with pick 8 or 9.

Totally agree. Even though Golden State had the worse record and the best chances of getting the top pick, they have an 86% chance of not picking #1 and 48% chance of not even being in the top 4.

The new lotto odds have really shaken things up
Black Lives Matter
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 556

Post#365 » by LaSheed » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:41 pm

Keep forgetting Kira Lewis. You guys need to check this dude out. If we get screwed in the lotto and #8 is our pick im taking Lewis.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#366 » by mattao313 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:30 am

LaSheed wrote:Keep forgetting Kira Lewis. You guys need to check this dude out. If we get screwed in the lotto and #8 is our pick im taking Lewis.

Why is he so low compared to the other PGS? his stats look good too.
Championships
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#367 » by MotownMadness » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:37 am

mattao313 wrote:
LaSheed wrote:Keep forgetting Kira Lewis. You guys need to check this dude out. If we get screwed in the lotto and #8 is our pick im taking Lewis.

I honestly haven't watched him play live enough to have a strong enough opinion but looking at the numbers he just doesn't compare to a guy like Halliburton for example who would be a good comp as another sophomore PG.

Haliburton

PER- 25.9
TS%- .63%
OBPM- 8.0
DBPM- 3.7
BPM- 11.6
AST/TO- 2.33

Kira Lewis Jr

PER- 19.8
TS%- .56%
OBPM- 3.8
DBPM- 1.7
BPM- 5.5
AST/TO- 1.47

Not really a comparison between the two as far as impact on both sides or distributing the ball. Hali is one of the safer (two way) picks to me though and i cant really pull up the info on the over seas freshmen ahead of him but them being freshmen also is a big deal too.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer

Post#368 » by LaSheed » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:00 am

MotownMadness wrote:
mattao313 wrote:

I honestly haven't watched him play live enough to have a strong enough opinion but looking at the numbers he just doesn't compare to a guy like Halliburton for example who would be a good comp as another sophomore PG.

Haliburton

PER- 25.9
TS%- .63%
OBPM- 8.0
DBPM- 3.7
BPM- 11.6
AST/TO- 2.33

Kira Lewis Jr

PER- 19.8
TS%- .56%
OBPM- 3.8
DBPM- 1.7
BPM- 5.5
AST/TO- 1.47

Not really a comparison between the two as far as impact on both sides or distributing the ball. Hali is one of the safer (two way) picks to me though and i cant really pull up the info on the over seas freshmen ahead of him but them being freshmen also is a big deal too.

I understand the numbers favor Haliburton but just an eye test thing for me I suppose. Lewis just plays so damn fast. He comes into the league as one of the fastest players. I dont have the isolation scoring concerns like I do Haliburton. Then again if Haliburton has a fluid looking shot I may not have this argument. Both definitely need to add weight.

Also I like the fact Lewis has 2 years of college ball under his belt and just turned 19. (I could be wrong on this)
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#369 » by MotownMadness » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:40 am

LaSheed wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Why is he so low compared to the other PGS? his stats look good too.

Haliburton

PER- 25.9
TS%- .63%
OBPM- 8.0
DBPM- 3.7
BPM- 11.6
AST/TO- 2.33

Kira Lewis Jr

PER- 19.8
TS%- .56%
OBPM- 3.8
DBPM- 1.7
BPM- 5.5
AST/TO- 1.47

I understand the numbers favor Haliburton but just an eye test thing for me I suppose. Lewis just plays so damn fast. He comes into the league as one of the fastest players. I dont have the isolation scoring concerns like I do Haliburton. Then again if Haliburton has a fluid looking shot I may not have this argument. Both definitely need to add weight.

Also I like the fact Lewis has 2 years of college ball under his belt and just turned 19. (I could be wrong on this)

I wish i actually got to watch Lewis but ill start looking into him more.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#370 » by Manocad » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:11 pm

NYPiston wrote:As long as Griffin and Rose are healthy (big if of course), the Pistons aren't tanking so get ready to be disappointed. I wouldn't be surprised if they add a significant player this offseason to maximize the Blake/Rose window.

I don't get that feeling. I think that while the organization won't say tank/rebuild out of respect for Blake and Rose, i.e. publicly admit the team is basically just throwing their (Blake's/Rose's) seasons away, the organization has recognized that the team is far more than one impact player away given not only relative to where the team is at even with a healthy and productive Blake AND Rose, but the inevitability that one of the two or both are going to miss time, and likely not in the sense of a game here and there that can be overlooked.

Not to mention, look at it this way...even if Blake and Rose stay healthy, play 70 games or so and produce the way they can when healthy, this team is still a 7-8 seed. Add one more impact player and the team gets to what...a 5-6 seed? And they get bounced in the second round, Blake and Rose are gone anyway, and now the team has locked up an impact player long term (why else would that player come here otherwise?) while being back to a 20-25 draft position. That smells like jumping right back on the treadmill to me.

I think that more and more as players continue to operate under the umbrellas of banding together to nearly guarantee a championship run, then run off and get that monster contract, you're going to see teams continue to accept 3-4 years of sucking and developing young players until they get to that point where 2-3 stars say, "You know what? Looking at that nice young core that Detroit has, if we take less money to make it affordable, all three of us could go there, win a championship with a good shot at 1 or 2 more, then do whatever we want." Then they leave Detroit and the cycle starts all over again. Simply put, I think you see more and more of the suck suck suck suck, decent core, add stars and win a championship, maybe another, stars leave, suck suck suck suck cycle throughout the league.
Taubaur
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#371 » by Taubaur » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:48 pm

Read on Twitter
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 324

Post#372 » by Drwho17 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:14 pm

Pharaoh wrote:Find it funny that people have said they don't want Okoro because he can't shoot and then state they want Ball.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

Ball is a PG, he can impact the game in other ways besides shooting.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer

Post#373 » by LaSheed » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:03 pm

Taubaur wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not to mention the pressure he would put on the defense to kick it out to our shooters.

I hope we trade Rose but would be a great mentor to Lewis.
pollack419
Junior
And1: 70

Post#374 » by pollack419 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:30 pm

I think the pick will be Ball or Hayes and resign woods. Lets say it's Hayes who would we add to this roster in free agency. What Young talent makes the most sense

Rose / Hayes / Bone
Luke / Brown / Khyri
Sekou / Snell / Svi
Blake
Woods / patton
LaSheed
Bench Warmer

Post#375 » by LaSheed » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:04 pm

Derrick Jones Jr would be my pick off the top of my head.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#376 » by Pharaoh » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:31 pm

Drwho17 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Find it funny that people have said they don't want Okoro because he can't shoot and then state they want Ball.

Ball is a PG, he can impact the game in other ways besides shooting.
Okoro is a wing, he could impact the game in other ways, especially on the defensive end

Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#377 » by Pharaoh » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:32 pm

pollack419 wrote:I think the pick will be Ball or Hayes and resign woods. Lets say it's Hayes who would we add to this roster in free agency. What Young talent makes the most sense

Rose / Hayes / Bone
Luke / Brown / Khyri
Sekou / Snell / Svi
Blake
Woods / patton
Harry Giles would be my first target in that scenario

Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#378 » by Pharaoh » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:38 pm

Manocad wrote:
NYPiston wrote:As long as Griffin and Rose are healthy (big if of course), the Pistons aren't tanking so get ready to be disappointed. I wouldn't be surprised if they add a significant player this offseason to maximize the Blake/Rose window.

I don't get that feeling. I think that while the organization won't say tank/rebuild out of respect for Blake and Rose, i.e. publicly admit the team is basically just throwing their (Blake's/Rose's) seasons away, the organization has recognized that the team is far more than one impact player away given not only relative to where the team is at even with a healthy and productive Blake AND Rose, but the inevitability that one of the two or both are going to miss time, and likely not in the sense of a game here and there that can be overlooked.

Not to mention, look at it this way...even if Blake and Rose stay healthy, play 70 games or so and produce the way they can when healthy, this team is still a 7-8 seed. Add one more impact player and the team gets to what...a 5-6 seed? And they get bounced in the second round, Blake and Rose are gone anyway, and now the team has locked up an impact player long term (why else would that player come here otherwise?) while being back to a 20-25 draft position. That smells like jumping right back on the treadmill to me.

I think that more and more as players continue to operate under the umbrellas of banding together to nearly guarantee a championship run, then run off and get that monster contract, you're going to see teams continue to accept 3-4 years of sucking and developing young players until they get to that point where 2-3 stars say, "You know what? Looking at that nice young core that Detroit has, if we take less money to make it affordable, all three of us could go there, win a championship with a good shot at 1 or 2 more, then do whatever we want." Then they leave Detroit and the cycle starts all over again. Simply put, I think you see more and more of the suck suck suck suck, decent core, add stars and win a championship, maybe another, stars leave, suck suck suck suck cycle throughout the league.
This!

flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,339

Post#379 » by flow » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:04 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
flow wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:

Does anyone know when the Lottery will actually take place?

August 25.

Long wait!

They just moved it up.

August 20.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#380 » by mattao313 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:40 am

MotownMadness wrote:
mattao313 wrote:

Haliburton

PER- 25.9
TS%- .63%
OBPM- 8.0
DBPM- 3.7
BPM- 11.6
AST/TO- 2.33

Kira Lewis Jr

PER- 19.8
TS%- .56%
OBPM- 3.8
DBPM- 1.7
BPM- 5.5
AST/TO- 1.47

Yeah I dont know much about him either but he is very young for a sophomore. He's only months older than Lamelo, Killian Hayes, and Edwards.
Championships

Return to Detroit Pistons