ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,213

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#2001 » by Dalek » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:07 pm

nabbs wrote:
Dalek wrote:Interesting to see that this draft has three Malcolm Brogdon types. The combo guard that is a bit stalky, can play point, shoot it well and is coming into the draft as a senior and older prospect:

Grant Riller - measures out the smallest of the three but had elite scoring considering his usage and efficiency. Probably has the best burst of the three. Likely can only guard 1s, and that might even be a stretch in the NBA.

Desmond Banes - could be a legit SG in the NBA given his size and shooting. Elite shooter all of his college years, and projects to be a a productive defender in the NBA. Don't know if he exactly qualifies as a combo guard but he can initiate the offense to some degree and is a decent secondary ballhandler.

Skylar Mays - I would say that he is the most underrated of the three. Had constant improvement over his three years to get to his elite shooting this past year. He is a sneaky good athlete with strong hands and crafty finishes like Riller. The difference is that I think Mays will be a good defender of 1s and 2s in the NBA. To me he is the closest to Brogdon of the bunch. The best part is he can be a role player straight away and even if it is for defense and playing off the ball, I think he will do well.

The more I watch of Mays the more I see the winning plays. His best game this past year against Auburn showed almost a Lowry like style of play. Steals, deflections, timely threes while playing off the ball, and drives into the paint. The more I watch this guy the more I see him being the steal of the draft.

I love Skylar Mays. If I were the Raps I would look to trade down for 2 picks so we can grab him and someone else. This draft will have a lot of quality players with high floors that will fall to the early second round. I love the way he plays the game and i love his toughness. By all accounts, he fits the Raptor player mould. On top of that, we can always use more reliable ball handlers in the back court and I know that the Raps had a zoom call with him

I think you nailed it as he has a high floor and fits the toughness and skill level Toronto goes for. He is going to be NBA ready and he can flip between primary and secondary handler. Him and Terence Davis would be a tough backcourt to deal with and I think they could compliment each other well.

Apparently Toronto also looked into Markus Howard. So they are looking for a backcourt scorer which is kind of missing with Lowry and VanVleet both starting. Raps also have Howard's brother at the 905 so they are familiar with their family. Howard has such gravity on the court, even if he is small, he can change a game off the bench.

I don't know, but Mays may drop to Toronto at 58. He is close to being 23 and with the number of guards and forwards in the second round, I have doubts that he will get picked at all. If they don't get Mays then maybe they will target Howard.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#2002 » by Psubs » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:37 pm

Dalek wrote:
nabbs wrote:
Dalek wrote:Interesting to see that this draft has three Malcolm Brogdon types. The combo guard that is a bit stalky, can play point, shoot it well and is coming into the draft as a senior and older prospect:

Grant Riller - measures out the smallest of the three but had elite scoring considering his usage and efficiency. Probably has the best burst of the three. Likely can only guard 1s, and that might even be a stretch in the NBA.

Desmond Banes - could be a legit SG in the NBA given his size and shooting. Elite shooter all of his college years, and projects to be a a productive defender in the NBA. Don't know if he exactly qualifies as a combo guard but he can initiate the offense to some degree and is a decent secondary ballhandler.

Skylar Mays - I would say that he is the most underrated of the three. Had constant improvement over his three years to get to his elite shooting this past year. He is a sneaky good athlete with strong hands and crafty finishes like Riller. The difference is that I think Mays will be a good defender of 1s and 2s in the NBA. To me he is the closest to Brogdon of the bunch. The best part is he can be a role player straight away and even if it is for defense and playing off the ball, I think he will do well.

The more I watch of Mays the more I see the winning plays. His best game this past year against Auburn showed almost a Lowry like style of play. Steals, deflections, timely threes while playing off the ball, and drives into the paint. The more I watch this guy the more I see him being the steal of the draft.

I love Skylar Mays. If I were the Raps I would look to trade down for 2 picks so we can grab him and someone else. This draft will have a lot of quality players with high floors that will fall to the early second round. I love the way he plays the game and i love his toughness. By all accounts, he fits the Raptor player mould. On top of that, we can always use more reliable ball handlers in the back court and I know that the Raps had a zoom call with him

I think you nailed it as he has a high floor and fits the toughness and skill level Toronto goes for. He is going to be NBA ready and he can flip between primary and secondary handler. Him and Terence Davis would be a tough backcourt to deal with and I think they could compliment each other well.

Apparently Toronto also looked into Markus Howard. So they are looking for a backcourt scorer which is kind of missing with Lowry and VanVleet both starting. Raps also have Howard's brother at the 905 so they are familiar with their family. Howard has such gravity on the court, even if he is small, he can change a game off the bench.

I don't know, but Mays may drop to Toronto at 58. He is close to being 23 and with the number of guards and forwards in the second round, I have doubts that he will get picked at all. If they don't get Mays then maybe they will target Howard.

If we don't take Mays at #58 New Orleans should take the LSU grad at #60. :D

Really New Orleans could take him at #43. They have #13, #39, #43 and #58. If they draft well, they could be quickly on the rise to top 4 in the west with the future Laker 1st picks too from the AD trade. They are at least where Boston was a couple of years ago.

I'd be okay with Markus Howard at #58, like IT being drafted #60.
JYD
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,209

Post#2003 » by JYD » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:17 pm

Mays and Bane I hadn't checked out until last couple days, both seem interesting prospects. Bane I like the looks of with his defense and pure stroke, you're concerned about a 6'6 player having a 6'4 span, but he's strong and plays physically on defense. He does 3 things well we really like, the d, the shooting and his PnR ability.

Overall I agree we'll be looking at a guard. i like Bolmaro as well. There are a couple other guards projected early 20's who could fall too, Mannion and Maledon. For me none of those guys turns me off, there should be a guard we like at our pick. Only big who intrigues me is Poku with his upside.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#2004 » by Dalek » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:13 pm

Psubs wrote:
Dalek wrote:
nabbs wrote:

Really New Orleans could take him at #43. They have #13, #39, #43 and #58. If they draft well, they could be quickly on the rise to top 4 in the west with the future Laker 1st picks too from the AD trade. They are at least where Boston was a couple of years ago.

I really like the way New Orleans has added talent. Zion and Ingram are a great combination that can grow together.

Toronto is operating at another level. Half the time they don't make trades and don't even need picks to get talent.

Even with a late first and a late second I am sure they will get two good players. Dewan Hernandez has been the only recent flop, but this draft has better late pick depth than typical years.

I like the IT comparison with Howard. Like IT, Howard is so small, gets great elevation and is hyper efficient from the perimeter - so he might be able to be a similar type of scorer. I watched a ton of Howard's film and guys are chasing him like crazy, picking him up even at half court. Yet, he still averaged 27 PPG. There is a ton of skill and endurance to run around screen or relocate to shoot.

Toronto invested him Matt Thomas, so I think they see a value in scoring. They have the defenders, they just need a bit more floor balance at times.A guy like Howard has a gravity as a shooter.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#2005 » by Psubs » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:06 am

Dalek wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Dalek wrote:

I really like the way New Orleans has added talent. Zion and Ingram are a great combination that can grow together.

Toronto is operating at another level. Half the time they don't make trades and don't even need picks to get talent.

Even with a late first and a late second I am sure they will get two good players. Dewan Hernandez has been the only recent flop, but this draft has better late pick depth than typical years.

I like the IT comparison with Howard. Like IT, Howard is so small, gets great elevation and is hyper efficient from the perimeter - so he might be able to be a similar type of scorer. I watched a ton of Howard's film and guys are chasing him like crazy, picking him up even at half court. Yet, he still averaged 27 PPG. There is a ton of skill and endurance to run around screen or relocate to shoot.

Toronto invested him Matt Thomas, so I think they see a value in scoring. They have the defenders, they just need a bit more floor balance at times.A guy like Howard has a gravity as a shooter.

Maybe the Raptors are trying to get a bench that every guard must shoot 40% from 3. :D

Howard, TD, Powell, Thomas. McCaw being a point forward. :lol:
nabbs
RealGM
And1: 19,365

Post#2006 » by nabbs » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:16 pm

Psubs wrote:
Dalek wrote:
Psubs wrote:

Maybe the Raptors are trying to get a bench that every guard must shoot 40% from 3. :D

I'd much rather get Mays than Howard if I am being honest.

2018 My Top Guys (no particular order): Doncic, JJJ, Zhaire Smith, Miles Bridges, Knox, Wendell, Bamba, Ayton, Sexton, Brown, Huerter, Okogie, Svi,
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,579

Post#2007 » by Syd-TK3 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:08 pm

Saben Lee is a really underated pg mocked late and even sometimes not at all, he got overshadowed by neismith but he can really score and at 6'2 he's got crazy bounce

There's a really good chance for us to walk away with another undrafted steal or late 2nd with how deep the guard position is and our history
Dalek
RealGM

Post#2008 » by Dalek » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:08 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:Saben Lee is a really underated pg mocked late and even sometimes not at all, he got overshadowed by neismith but he can really score and at 6'2 he's got crazy bounce

There's a really good chance for us to walk away with another undrafted steal or late 2nd with how deep the guard position is and our history

He is a guy to really dive into. Toronto did well with an athlete like Norman Powell who was undersized but developed more skill as he played in Toronto.

The only trend that points in another direction is Lee's outside shooting. He isn't great from outside but he puts pressure on defenses getting fouled.

Just an odd thing I picked up about Lee is that last year he shot way better and more efficiently away from home. That is pretty unheard of.
Dalek
RealGM

Post#2009 » by Dalek » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:16 pm

nabbs wrote:
Psubs wrote:
Dalek wrote:

I'd much rather get Mays than Howard if I am being honest.

I think Howard is a long shot to be drafted based on his size. But, on film he is pretty hard not to like how he can impact a game.

Mays is way ahead of a lot of guys in my books. I'd put him ahead of Bane, Riller, Jones, Dotson, Manion but I am hoping he falls to Toronto at 58.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,563

Post#2010 » by DreamTeam09 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:30 pm

I really want a tall winger player with potential

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Psubs
RealGM

Post#2011 » by Psubs » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:21 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:I really want a tall winger player with potential

Jaden McDaniels and Pokusevski would fit that description in that range.

Paul Reed, is stretching the wing description like Siakam. Seems like a good perimetre defender and quick enough to stay with SF's.

I think he has as much potential as Siakam did coming out of college. Reed is able to run the fast break already. I could see a more lanky/mobile version of Paul Milsap.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#2012 » by Psubs » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:17 pm

Dalek
RealGM

Post#2013 » by Dalek » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:30 am

Psubs wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:I really want a tall winger player with potential

Jaden McDaniels and Pokusevski would fit that description in that range.

Paul Reed, is stretching the wing description like Siakam. Seems like a good perimeter defender and quick enough to stay with SF's.

I think he has as much potential as Siakam did coming out of college. Reed is able to run the fast break already. I could see a more lanky/mobile version of Paul Milsap.

Not quite as tall as the other guys (about 6-6), but my favorite scorer in the NCAA last year was Elijah Hughes. His efficiency was out of whack because of too much usage, but you have a good playmaker, an excellent scorer from multiple levels, and looks like he could do well outside of the Syracuse zone.

Lesser known guys I have been watching a lot lately is Trendon Watford and Josh Hall.

Watford has a really good handle for a SF but has some bad turnovers, doesn't shoot well but has good form -- making him a project. But, he has good size, has good on-court hustle and energy and seems like has a high ceiling.

Josh Hall is the preps to pros guy, similar to Jalen Lecque who was supposed to go to college but then opted for the NBA. Lecque went undrafted and then got signed by the Suns. Hall is about 6-8 and has good scoring skills, so I could see him getting drafted based on potential alone. At 58, he would be a bad bet to take on but I don't know if he knows how to play any semblance of organized basketball.

Syd-TK3
RealGM

Post#2014 » by Syd-TK3 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:00 am

Dalek wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:Saben Lee is a really underated pg mocked late and even sometimes not at all, he got overshadowed by neismith but he can really score and at 6'2 he's got crazy bounce

He is a guy to really dive into. Toronto did well with an athlete like Norman Powell who was undersized but developed more skill as he played in Toronto.

The only trend that points in another direction is Lee's outside shooting. He isn't great from outside but he puts pressure on defenses getting fouled.

Just an odd thing I picked up about Lee is that last year he shot way better and more efficiently away from home. That is pretty unheard of.

Yeah he dunks like he's a sf and is great in isolation. The defense is really the main area of concern.
He has the ability to shoot it but consistancy is the problem. At this point though I don't think our development team has any problems with guys who struggle to shoot and can help them all get better.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#2015 » by Psubs » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:55 pm

Does anyone think that this draft is deep enough for Jordan Nwora to drop to #58?

I'd be good with Reed and Nwora.
Syd-TK3
RealGM

Post#2016 » by Syd-TK3 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:21 pm

Psubs wrote:Does anyone think that this draft is deep enough for Jordan Nwora to drop to #58?

Most 2nd round guys seem to be all over the place but I don't see him falling that low the draft isn't very deep on fowards.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2901220-2020-nba-draft-buzz-whod-trade-up-for-lamelo-ball-top-prospect-slipping

Not sure how credible this is or even important with the draft months away and lottery not even decided. But they supposedly hearing a few things about the 1st round
Psubs
RealGM

Post#2017 » by Psubs » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:04 pm

Why would anyone draft Okoro in the top 10? They can have Stanley Johnson for free.

Let him drop to Boston at #17. So they "can't pass up on him" and have no PT. :D
Dalek
RealGM

Post#2018 » by Dalek » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:58 pm

Syd-TK3 wrote:
Psubs wrote:Does anyone think that this draft is deep enough for Jordan Nwora to drop to #58?

Most 2nd round guys seem to be all over the place but I don't see him falling that low the draft isn't very deep on fowards.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2901220-2020-nba-draft-buzz-whod-trade-up-for-lamelo-ball-top-prospect-slipping

Not sure how credible this is or even important with the draft months away and lottery not even decided. But they supposedly hearing a few things about the 1st round

Interesting article with loads of tidbits. I was impressed about the two bigs mentioned. Daniel Oturu and Zeke Nnaji appear to be in the 20s range. The exciting part is that a SF might fall if that is the case. I'd love Patrick Williams or Josh Green or Precious Achiuwa to fall to Toronto.
Syd-TK3
RealGM

Post#2019 » by Syd-TK3 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:20 pm

Dalek wrote:
Syd-TK3 wrote:

Interesting article with loads of tidbits. I was impressed about the two bigs mentioned. Daniel Oturu and Zeke Nnaji appear to be in the 20s range. The exciting part is that a SF might fall if that is the case. I'd love Patrick Williams or Josh Green or Precious Achiuwa to fall to Toronto.

Yeah I'd be perfectly fine with teams before us taking Nnaji and Oturu. Although I'm pretty sure Patrick Williams and Precious are almost guranteed top 20 but it would help Green and McDaniels drop
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Post#2020 » by HeadtopChunes » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:35 am

Syd-TK3 wrote:

If Maxey falls out the lottery i hope we grab him, would be a great fit.

Return to Toronto Raptors