Image ImageImage Image

OT: COVID-19 thread #3

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

bentheredengthat
General Manager
And1: 1,606

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#381 » by bentheredengthat » Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:51 pm

dice wrote:
bentheredengthat wrote:I'm worried that we are literally living through the beginning a period of history, at least in the states, similar to the dark ages.

I talked to a friend today who had a huge covid scare less than 3 weeks ago. He was out fishing for 8 hours with someone who ended up in the emergency room for covid symptoms. The guy was such enough that he feared for his life.

He and his wife were tested and fortunately the tests were negative. In the mean time panic ensued, emails and phone calls were sent out, quarentines happened.

Fast forward 3 weeks to our discussion today, and he proceded to unload a whole new load of conspiracy on me. Florida clinics are reporting 98 percent positives he heard. Covid patients are tested tens of times and reported as new cases every time. Emergency rooms only usually have a few open beds anyways so overflowing emergency rooms don't really mean anything. I can't remember them all, but there were at least 5 whoppers I hadn't heard yet.

Long story short, after fearing for his life, and his wife in hysterics over the scare, 3 weeks later it's now all a conspiracy.

I don't even really know what to say to him. He is still being safe thankfully, but the politics are frying his brain.

He's acting as a person of reason but speaking and story telling like a cultist.

anybody suggesting that florida is OVERreporting cases hasn't been paying attention

I just heard this same story, almost verbatim from 3 different friends within a 3 day period:

"My friend and his wife went to get tested, they gave their information, but gave up after 1 1/2 hour wait without being tested. 1 week later they were notified that they tested positive."

All I have to say is this: I'm going to take them at their word on a temporary basis but it's highly unlikely that I have 3 separate friends with exactly the same story, I mean exactly.

If this proves to be talking points/ conspiracy, I'm going to lose some good friends and it's really sad.

Things are happening right now that are very out of the ordinary. I know I have a ton of orange man fans as friends and business acquaintances, but if they are going to start lying bold faced to me about things that effect my family then F them.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#382 » by johnnyvann840 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:22 am

dice wrote:
TheStig wrote:
dice wrote:the stock market is strangely discounting the possibility that we're in for tough times ahead. i almost shorted america at the end of last month and if we keep climbing in the next couple of weeks i likely will at the end of this month. each of the last 2 recessions we had a recovery before the long-term drop

-april 2000 - 14% drop from previous month's record high
-sept. 1 - height of recovery - back up to 98% of record high
-after 5 mo. recovery, market lost half its value over the course of 2 years

-5 year recovery

-early july 2007 - 12% drop after barely reaching record high from 7 years earlier
-late oct. 2007 - full recovery to another new record high
-after 4 mo. recovery, market loses 57% of value over the course of a year and a half

-4 year recovery back to record high plus another 7 years of record highs

-feb. 2020 - whopping 36% drop in less than 2 months
-as of today, we've recovered 86% of those losses
-after 4 mo. of recovery thus far...?

Dice, everything is propped up now. The unemployed are getting unemployment and $600 a month, small business are getting payroll covered, fed is buying corporate debt, main street lending program is giving bigger companies money.

Once the giant unemployment people have no money, small business run out of PPP, there has to be a drop.

But I think they'll extend them. No one wants to be to blame for that in an election year. Watch out for next year if things don't open up.

true. the size of the next stimulus is a big factor in the short term

1/3 of americans missed their rent/mortage payments last month. that's a disaster waiting to happen

Is that really the number? That is a disaster already happening. I mean, my goodness, that is unbelievable.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,870

Post#383 » by Dresden » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:40 pm

It's possible that the answer to COVID might lie in finding more effective treatments, rather than a vaccine. They are making some interesting finds in that regard:

Cholesterol-lowering drug could see coronavirus treated like common cold, study finds

A cholesterol-lowering drug could make coronavirus as treatable as the common cold, scientists have suggested. Researchers at New York’s Mount Sinai Medical Center looked at depriving the virus of nutrients which Covid-19 needs to survive. They found that fat which accumulates inside lung cells is a key component of what the virus needs to reproduce. Depriving the virus of these conditions could mean that the virus could be better controlled, with the researchers claiming it could be reduced to something akin to an ordinary cold.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/a231cd65-0f1c-31fb-bb2f-52a6ff32742f/cholesterol-lowering-drug.html
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#384 » by TheStig » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:30 pm

Dresden wrote:It's possible that the answer to COVID might lie in finding more effective treatments, rather than a vaccine. They are making some interesting finds in that regard:

Cholesterol-lowering drug could see coronavirus treated like common cold, study finds

A cholesterol-lowering drug could make coronavirus as treatable as the common cold, scientists have suggested. Researchers at New York’s Mount Sinai Medical Center looked at depriving the virus of nutrients which Covid-19 needs to survive. They found that fat which accumulates inside lung cells is a key component of what the virus needs to reproduce. Depriving the virus of these conditions could mean that the virus could be better controlled, with the researchers claiming it could be reduced to something akin to an ordinary cold.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/a231cd65-0f1c-31fb-bb2f-52a6ff32742f/cholesterol-lowering-drug.html

So I m not a doctor and I do not think this is the flu.....

However, I don't think you'll ever get rid of it but if you had things that treated it like (it's not the flu) the flu, I think that is more promising than a vaccine. Remember tons of people get and die from the flu. The vaccine does not prevent it. You can still get the flu after vaccination.
Dresden
RealGM

Post#385 » by Dresden » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:50 pm

Another potential treatment on the horizon:

A "game-changing" treatment for coronavirus could cut the chance of serious illness by 80 per cent, research suggests. Trials using an inhaled protein, commonly used to treat multiple sclerosis, found patients who were given it were more than twice as likely to recover during the treatment period than those given a placebo. Stays in hospital were cut by one third, according to the study of Southampton hospital patients. The treatment, from biotech firm Synairgen, uses a protein called interferon beta, which the body produces when it gets a viral infection. The drug, known as SNG001, is inhaled using a nebuliser in order to stimulate an immune response. Richard Marsden, the chief executive of the company, said: "We couldn't have expected much better results than these."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/6005aef3-b7ca-38c5-b750-2c2a637be325/coronavirus-drug-hailed-as.html
moorhosj
Junior
And1: 350

Post#386 » by moorhosj » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:29 pm

Scary times ahead: Trump signals he will send federal agents to major cities https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/508138-trump-signals-he-will-send-federal-agents-to-major-cities

Nice of him to specifically mention politics so we know the motivation. So much for all that "State's Rights" stuff that was all the rage when Obama was President.

"I'm going to do something – that, I can tell you," Trump said. "Because we're not going to let New York and Chicago and Philadelphia and Detroit and Baltimore and all of these – Oakland is a mess. We're not going to let this happen in our country. All run by liberal Democrats."
Dresden
RealGM

Post#387 » by Dresden » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:18 pm

moorhosj wrote:Scary times ahead: Trump signals he will send federal agents to major cities https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/508138-trump-signals-he-will-send-federal-agents-to-major-cities

Nice of him to specifically mention politics so we know the motivation. So much for all that "State's Rights" stuff that was all the rage when Obama was President.

"I'm going to do something – that, I can tell you," Trump said. "Because we're not going to let New York and Chicago and Philadelphia and Detroit and Baltimore and all of these – Oakland is a mess. We're not going to let this happen in our country. All run by liberal Democrats."

"That’s the reason they don’t want us to help them. They're afraid. I really believe they're actually maybe even physically afraid of these people — because what they're doing is incredible."

Who went crawling into a bunker to hide when protests were breaking out in DC?
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#388 » by musiqsoulchild » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:28 pm

Trump wears a mask. And asks Americans to wear a mask because it's the patriotic thing to do.

Clearly, he is not a patriot.

Internal polling showed this to be a losing issue. So, yeah, Trump is now going to wear masks.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,538

Post#389 » by dice » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:45 am

TheStig wrote:
Dresden wrote:It's possible that the answer to COVID might lie in finding more effective treatments, rather than a vaccine. They are making some interesting finds in that regard:

However, I don't think you'll ever get rid of it but if you had things that treated it like (it's not the flu) the flu, I think that is more promising than a vaccine. Remember tons of people get and die from the flu. The vaccine does not prevent it. You can still get the flu after vaccination.

through 2017, 80% of children who died from the flu were not vaccinated. and given that the majority of children DO get vaccinated, the effectiveness rate must be very high for children

on the other hand, the rate of flu-related hospitalizations among seniors is only reduced by 40% with vaccination

it also depends in large part whether the vaccine one receives happens to be well matched to the particular strain of the virus that is circulating that year
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Dresden
RealGM

Post#390 » by Dresden » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:16 am

Are the majority of children getting flu shots?
TheStig
RealGM

Post#391 » by TheStig » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:20 am

dice wrote:
TheStig wrote:

through 2017, 80% of children who died from the flu were not vaccinated. and given that the majority of children DO get vaccinated, the effectiveness rate must be very high for children

on the other hand, the rate of flu-related hospitalizations among seniors is only reduced by 40% with vaccination

it also depends in large part whether the vaccine one receives happens to be well matched to the particular strain of the virus that is circulating that year

I mean there are a ton of other factors that go into it and I'm not trying to take away from the flu vaccines but that being said, the flu is not gone with the vaccine out there.
TheEndIsNigh
Junior
And1: 472

Post#392 » by TheEndIsNigh » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:23 am

musiqsoulchild wrote:Trump wears a mask. And asks Americans to wear a mask because it's the patriotic thing to do.

Internal polling showed this to be a losing issue. So, yeah, Trump is now going to wear masks.

"Wearing a mask is patriotic"

"We've always been at war with Eastasia."

Watch the Trump supporters all adopt mask wearing as if they've always supported it now.
dice
RealGM

Post#393 » by dice » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:26 am

apparently among the few things that both parties want in the next stimulus bill is increased funding for testing, tracing and the CDC. trump admin. is trying to block all of these and GOP senators are furious
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Post#394 » by the ultimates » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:22 am

TheStig wrote:
dice wrote:
TheStig wrote:So I m not a doctor and I do not think this is the flu.....

I mean there are a ton of other factors that go into it and I'm not trying to take away from the flu vaccines but that being said, the flu is not gone with the vaccine out there.

That's because their can be so many potential variations of the flu. https://www.sinobiological.com/research/virus/influenza-hemagglutinin-subtypes#:~:text=There%20are%2016%20different%20types,H3N2%2C%20most%20commonly%20infect%20humans.
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
TheStig
RealGM

Post#395 » by TheStig » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:50 pm

the ultimates wrote:
TheStig wrote:
dice wrote:through 2017, 80% of children who died from the flu were not vaccinated. and given that the majority of children DO get vaccinated, the effectiveness rate must be very high for children

That's because their can be so many potential variations of the flu. https://www.sinobiological.com/research/virus/influenza-hemagglutinin-subtypes#:~:text=There%20are%2016%20different%20types,H3N2%2C%20most%20commonly%20infect%20humans.

We've heard there are multiple strains of covid.
the ultimates
Analyst

Post#396 » by the ultimates » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:27 pm

TheStig wrote:
the ultimates wrote:
TheStig wrote:I mean there are a ton of other factors that go into it and I'm not trying to take away from the flu vaccines but that being said, the flu is not gone with the vaccine out there.

There might be multiple strains of covid but we know that it doesn't have the flu's number of variations yet. That's extremely helpful when trying to make a vaccine. When people get a flu shot it contains a vaccine for what researchers and doctors think are going to be the most prominent strains that season.
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
TheStig
RealGM

Post#397 » by TheStig » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:03 pm

the ultimates wrote:
TheStig wrote:

There might be multiple strains of covid but we know that it doesn't have the flu's number of variations yet. That's extremely helpful when trying to make a vaccine. When people get a flu shot it contains a vaccine for what researchers and doctors think are going to be the most prominent strains that season.

I don't think it's going to be a complete prevention or cure. This thing is going to be prominent for awhile.
dice
RealGM

Post#398 » by dice » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:01 am

-less than 25% of NYC residents have been exposed to the virus, w/ herd immunity believed to occur at around 60%
-3.6% philly, 2.2% minneapolis, 1+% utah, 1% san fran bay
-40% of infected individuals never develop symptoms
-infections are up to 13 times the reported rate, depending on location

meanwhile, trump buddy rodrigo duterte of the philippines will begin to have people arrested for not wearing masks
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#399 » by 2018C3 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:10 am

TheEndIsNigh wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:Trump wears a mask. And asks Americans to wear a mask because it's the patriotic thing to do.

"Wearing a mask is patriotic"

"We've always been at war with Eastasia."

Watch the Trump supporters all adopt mask wearing as if they've always supported it now.

Lol, I always wore a mask and thought it was stupid not too. I still even where disposable gloves whenever I go out. I also do not eat out. Anyone who follows whatever is said by a government official is not thinking for themselves. I believe people need to be smart in all this and take responsibility for there own actions, that includes whatever "legal" measures are necessary to protect themselves. Too many people are sheep expecting to follow a shepherd.
the ultimates
Analyst

Post#400 » by the ultimates » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:52 am

TheStig wrote:
the ultimates wrote:
TheStig wrote:We've heard there are multiple strains of covid.

I don't think it's going to be a complete prevention or cure. This thing is going to be prominent for awhile.

If the vaccines are that are currently going into phase 3 trials are proven safe and effective that's the easiest and safest way to herd immunity. We don't have cures for polio, smallpox, measles, whooping cough, and many other viruses but we've stopped them from being pandemics. You are right that this will be around for a while because even if the vaccines are safe the anti-vaxxer movement has gained and insidious foothold. Diseases such as measles and whooping cough which can be easily prevented through vaccination were propping up in clusters because of the pure lies being spread by anti-vaxxers.

Return to Chicago Bulls