ImageImageImage

Joel Embiid

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

76thBearCub
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,713

Re: Joel Embiid 

Post#281 » by 76thBearCub » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:33 am

Id like to see Wiggins play with Embiid. Jo might be the only guy that could make him grow a couple hairs on his chest and play like a man.
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,481

Post#282 » by elchengue20 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:33 pm

He looks good. We are going to need Embiid at 100% if we want to make a run in the Playoffs. That its the first step and the most important one. Watching him comeback in great shape its starting this bubble adventure with the right foot.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,731

Post#283 » by Mik317 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:21 pm

76thBearCub wrote:Id like to see Wiggins play with Embiid. Jo might be the only guy that could make him grow a couple hairs on his chest and play like a man.

I don't think Jo is the rah rah guy we want him to be. His kid gloves with Ben and hell himself shows that he's not exactly the motivation guy
#NeverGonnaBeGood
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#284 » by LloydFree » Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:16 am

76thBearCub wrote:Id like to see Wiggins play with Embiid. Jo might be the only guy that could make him grow a couple hairs on his chest and play like a man.

We still on this? Wiggins is garbage. It's no longer projection. He's 5 years in. He's a waste of time and money. He isn't good. It doesn't who he's playing with.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
M2J
Starter
And1: 1,153

Post#285 » by M2J » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:23 am

Mik317 wrote:

I don't think Jo is the rah rah guy we want him to be. His kid gloves with Ben and hell himself shows that he's not exactly the motivation guy

Jo is not a leader. If this team has any hopes of a young leader, it's Ben.
Mik317
RealGM

Post#286 » by Mik317 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:50 pm

LloydFree wrote:

We still on this? Wiggins is garbage. It's no longer projection. He's 5 years in. He's a waste of time and money. He isn't good. It doesn't who he's playing with.

I always have pleas ready to be copped with Wiggins stored away because I always know this FO could be the ones who can totally fix him but yeah....

Wiggins has all of the tools to be great but simply lacks the mentality. Jo and Ben often are the same but are bigger and faster than their respective positions and can get by on that for long stretches. They also bring it on the defensive end....Wiggins again has the tools for that too but nah.

Again I have a bunch of excuses piled up from 2014 lol but when dude got out shined by a raw Embiid at Kansas and then dissipated super hard in the tourney I knew that he was a guy who got by on being crazy athletic against HS comp that he just wasn't that dude...

and thats ok really....not first overal pick or super max ok but its fine...not every body is built like that at the end of the day and everything about Wiggins just reads as super nice kid with stupid bounce that probably played because his dad did and it came easy to him...he's not obsessed like Kobe was and didn't have to prove himself like Steph.

But just know when we trade Ben for him this offseason...I will probably totally believe that this time he will totes care doe.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,476

Post#287 » by GoSixersBro » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:20 pm

Mik317 wrote:
LloydFree wrote:

I always have pleas ready to be copped with Wiggins stored away because I always know this FO could be the ones who can totally fix him but yeah....

Wiggins has all of the tools to be great but simply lacks the mentality. Jo and Ben often are the same but are bigger and faster than their respective positions and can get by on that for long stretches. They also bring it on the defensive end....Wiggins again has the tools for that too but nah.

Again I have a bunch of excuses piled up from 2014 lol but when dude got out shined by a raw Embiid at Kansas and then dissipated super hard in the tourney I knew that he was a guy who got by on being crazy athletic against HS comp that he just wasn't that dude...

and thats ok really....not first overal pick or super max ok but its fine...not every body is built like that at the end of the day and everything about Wiggins just reads as super nice kid with stupid bounce that probably played because his dad did and it came easy to him...he's not obsessed like Kobe was and didn't have to prove himself like Steph.

But just know when we trade Ben for him this offseason...I will probably totally believe that this time he will totes care doe.

I'm admittedly not even the biggest Ben fan on this forum, but I'd vomit if that happened.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,766

Post#288 » by HotelVitale » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:27 pm

Mik317 wrote:
LloydFree wrote:

Wiggins can't really dribble in traffic, so he can't really drive--which means he can't play-make, can't get to the line much, or do any of the things that star wings do. His mentality probably isn't amazing but he also just never had a decent handle and he's also not that agile or anything as a driver, and it's not like it's something he hasn't been trying for years to develop that part of his game. He's basically settled into a role as a mediocre volume jump-shooter, who can do slow pn'r drives, run the break, and cut but otherwise has no use for his athleticism.

Not sure what you're seeing there, but to my eyes there's no clear paths to him becoming a really good player. I guess if he makes a leap from okay to great spot-up shooter that's the best path, or maybe if he can become an ace midrange fadeaway guy. But it seems pretty clear that he's just a decent shooter so I wouldn't count on that. Stranger things have happened but my bet would go against him making any leaps, and I think it's mostly blind faith if you're still seeing him as capable of that. It's really really hard to become a good wing if you can't dribble the basketball when a defender is within a couple feet of you.
Mik317
RealGM

Post#289 » by Mik317 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:44 pm

thats apart of the mentality part IMO. You got to put in work to become a better ball handler. Paul George and Kawhii weren't great coming into the league....they put in work.

When I say Wiggins has all the tools I mean physical and in terms of a modern day wing. Athletic.Quick. Long enough. Tall enough. Not saying he would be the next Jordan or anything but the fact that dude can with no effort score 20 a game despite taking a lot of bull shots shows that with a different mindset and more accountability, he could be great IMO. But he came into the league as the number 1 pick, all the hype and won ROTY and then got super paid based of what could be. JoJo for all of his flaws could have fell into the same boat but he also spent his first two years being called a bust, having dudes drafted in his same spot, and losing out on the ROTY because of injury...those small slights, pushed him to improve and then being told how awesome he is sent him into complacency lol. It cliche as **** but sometimes being taken down a peg helps...with Wiggins it came too late probably. He's a former ROTY, one of the richest dudes in the league and will probably coast off of that for another 10 years lol. He's made it.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#290 » by youngcrev » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:15 pm

Mik317 wrote:thats apart of the mentality part IMO. You got to put in work to become a better ball handler. Paul George and Kawhii weren't great coming into the league....they put in work.

When I say Wiggins has all the tools I mean physical and in terms of a modern day wing. Athletic.Quick. Long enough. Tall enough. Not saying he would be the next Jordan or anything but the fact that dude can with no effort score 20 a game despite taking a lot of bull shots shows that with a different mindset and more accountability, he could be great IMO. But he came into the league as the number 1 pick, all the hype and won ROTY and then got super paid based of what could be. JoJo for all of his flaws could have fell into the same boat but he also spent his first two years being called a bust, having dudes drafted in his same spot, and losing out on the ROTY because of injury...those small slights, pushed him to improve and then being told how awesome he is sent him into complacency lol. It cliche as **** but sometimes being taken down a peg helps...with Wiggins it came too late probably. He's a former ROTY, one of the richest dudes in the league and will probably coast off of that for another 10 years lol. He's made it.

That feels kinda backwards. He doesn't give you an effortless 20, he's a guy that can put up 20 because he's on a bad team and has the freedom to take bad shots.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#291 » by LloydFree » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:29 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Mik317 wrote:
LloydFree wrote:We still on this? Wiggins is garbage. It's no longer projection. He's 5 years in. He's a waste of time and money. He isn't good. It doesn't who he's playing with.

Wiggins can't really dribble in traffic, so he can't really drive--which means he can't play-make, can't get to the line much, or do any of the things that star wings do. His mentality probably isn't amazing but he also just never had a decent handle and he's also not that agile or anything as a driver, and it's not like it's something he hasn't been trying for years to develop that part of his game. He's basically settled into a role as a mediocre volume jump-shooter, who can do slow pn'r drives, run the break, and cut but otherwise has no use for his athleticism.

Not sure what you're seeing there, but to my eyes there's no clear paths to him becoming a really good player. I guess if he makes a leap from okay to great spot-up shooter that's the best path, or maybe if he can become an ace midrange fadeaway guy. But it seems pretty clear that he's just a decent shooter so I wouldn't count on that. Stranger things have happened but my bet would go against him making any leaps, and I think it's mostly blind faith if you're still seeing him as capable of that. It's really really hard to become a good wing if you can't dribble the basketball when a defender is within a couple feet of you.

Exactly. He doesn't have all the tools. He can't dribble the ball. Worse than that: He has zero body control. Clumsy guys like that, never become stars.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#292 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:53 am

Agree about Wiggins. Jerami Grant would be a hell of a player if he knew how to dribble in traffic and didn't have pitiful body control. That can be corrected to some degree, but more often than not its something you're born with.

Athletes like him (and Wiggins) will get by and could be effective in fitting roles (Golden State may not be terrible for Wiggins, Grant contributes in Denver), but they’re a separate species from nucleus guys. These clickbait rumors about using Wiggs to land a superstar are just plain silly. That's a death sentence for any GM.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
elchengue20
Sixth Man

Post#293 » by elchengue20 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:03 am

Wiggins is basically the next Rudy Gay. Maybe even worse. He has absolutely no value under that Max contract.

Ill take Jerami Grant 10/10 times over Wiggins, he's a very good 3+D player, with a reasonable contract.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#294 » by LloydFree » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:13 pm

elchengue20 wrote:Wiggins is basically the next Rudy Gay. Maybe even worse. He has absolutely no value under that Max contract.

Ill take Jerami Grant 10/10 times over Wiggins, he's a very good 3+D player, with a reasonable contract.

He's much worse than Rudy Gay. Rudy Gay is a more coordinated athlete. Rudy Gay's problems aren't tools related. He lacks focus to match his talent. Wiggins lacks both focus and tools. His physical talent is overrated because he's fast and can jump. Everyone missed the body control part on Wiggins.
elchengue20
Sixth Man

Post#295 » by elchengue20 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:26 pm

LloydFree wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:Wiggins is basically the next Rudy Gay. Maybe even worse. He has absolutely no value under that Max contract.

He's much worse than Rudy Gay. Rudy Gay is a more coordinated athlete. Rudy Gay's problems aren't tools related. He lacks focus to match his talent. Wiggins lacks both focus and tools. His physical talent is overrated because he's fast and can jump. Everyone missed the body control part on Wiggins.

I don't know about that, but they are very similar players. Both athletic 6'7/6'8 forwards who can't play off the ball, can't shoot very well, can't defend, can't make plays for others, have 0 leadership and intangibles.

They natural game is to be inneficient go-to scorers, mainly by shooting midranges pull ups, fadeaways and atacking the rim a little bit. Wiggins is a little better 3 point shooter and passer, Rudy is a little better defender/teamplayer and rebounder, but they are nearly the same player. Both were suposed to be franchise players, and ended being overpayed busts. They are like the SF version of a Derozan type of player, maybe a poormans Derozan.
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#296 » by LloydFree » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:15 pm

elchengue20 wrote:
LloydFree wrote:

I don't know about that, but they are very similar players. Both athletic 6'7/6'8 forwards who can't play off the ball, can't shoot very well, can't defend, can't make plays for others, have 0 leadership and intangibles.

They natural game is to be inneficient go-to scorers, mainly by shooting midranges pull ups, fadeaways and atacking the rim a little bit. Wiggins is a little better 3 point shooter and passer, Rudy is a little better defender/teamplayer and rebounder, but they are nearly the same player. Both were suposed to be franchise players, and ended being overpayed busts. They are like the SF version of a Derozan type of player, maybe a poormans Derozan.

Rudy Gay is nothing like Wiggins and DeRozan is even less like him. The comps are terrible.
elchengue20
Sixth Man

Post#297 » by elchengue20 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:33 pm

Lol yeah ok, and why?

Obviously im talking about young Rudy Gay in Memphis and Toronto. Not veteran Rudy Gay in SA. Derozan is a SG and better than them, particulary as a scorer because he atacks the rim better and gets more to the line.But still has many flaws who are similar( cant play defense, cant play off the ball, below average 3pt shooter, below average playmaker, little to none leadership and intangibles,etc) wich in his prime made him an not good enough go-to permiter player and overhyped "star".
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,416

Post#298 » by 76ciology » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:54 pm

Not saying blocks are everything.

Blk/g &Blk%
LMA: 1.6 & 4.4%
Embiid: 1.3 & 3.7%
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,080

Post#299 » by Kobblehead » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:40 am

Even a fully-motivated Wiggins probably lacks the dynamic ball handling abilities to go on the ball and takeover games like a true offensive star.

And defensively, not sure if he can fill any role beyond being a help defender.

The attributed upside of him being capable of being a two-way superstar appears to have been a missed read.
    Sixerscan
    Senior Mod - 76ers
    Senior Mod - 76ers
    And1: 16,042

Post#300 » by Sixerscan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:46 am

Can't evaluate work ethic through a TV screen or even seeing a guy in person. Wiggins wasn't a perfect prospect but he could have fixed his weaknesses a lot more than he did.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers