others
No votes

Total votes: 30

Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

draft target 

Post#1 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:17 pm

who will be the Cavs top target in the draft ?
and who is next on the board.
vote for 2 and explain.
I have them targeting Ball for his playmaking first and Wiseman for his potential as the second option.
subject to change with workouts and interviews if they ever happen...
Personally would target Okongwu over both, I think his upside is good enough and his floor is elite.
my second option would be Edwards
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Revenged25
Analyst
And1: 1,002

Re: draft target 

Post#2 » by Revenged25 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:24 pm

I think top targets would be Toppin and Wiseman. Toppin could be the long term replacement to Love while Love has amazing potential and makes the need to resign Drummond much smaller.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#3 » by Stillwater » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:30 pm

^ I think because the floors for success and making an impact in the NBA are really strong Okongwu and Edwards of the one and done have the easiest roads to at minimum being good NBA starters.and both have high upsides maybe elite ones. The other lottery high floors are all sophomores in Vassell Obi or Halliburton but purely as a result of 2 years of college and more tape. none of those 3 though project to have the same potential as a Ball or Hayes or even Cole Anthony by most reviews even though they probably do in realty but it could be a issue depending on who the CLE scouts are listening too if the predraft process is lacking in combine info and in person wrokout settings for the BPA argument esp if they agree with the general opinion and will take Ball or worse Anthony.
I don't disagree with the idea of targetting high upside types in the top 6 like Wiseman or Okoro, or even a sleeper for a high pick like Jalen Smith at 5 or 6 nor do I disagree with the idea of taking a prospect they think is a good fit once the highest upside and highest floor options are gone if they get pushed to 6...like Avdija or maybe a prospect like Nesmith could be viewed as a great fit with some upside to work with or a good fit & nice floor but I am not sold there are really any propsect in this draft that are going to move the needle enough to use at the 3 full time to take in the top 6 except maybe Okoro or Edwards and I would have to trade down for a position of need pick like Deni or Nesmith myself to pass on a higher tier prospect.
Right now my thought is few if any teams will be willing to give up future assets for picks or trade ups,like if they are thinking of trading down from 5 or 6 but the Cavs could easily go after a 6 for 16 and 26 45 swap with Boston I think or maybe a 5 for 9 and 32 from CHA would work for both. idk
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#4 » by Revenged25 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:44 pm

Stillwater wrote:^ I think because the floors for success and making an impact in the NBA are really strong Okongwu and Edwards of the one and done have the easiest roads to at minimum being good NBA starters.and both have high upsides maybe elite ones. The other lottery high floors are all sophomores in Vassell Obi or Halliburton but purely as a result of 2 years of college and more tape. none of those 3 though project to have the same potential as a Ball or Hayes or even Cole Anthony by most reviews even though they probably do in realty but it could be a issue depending on who the CLE scouts are listening too if the predraft process is lacking in combine info and in person wrokout settings for the BPA argument esp if they agree with the general opinion and will take Ball or worse Anthony.
I don't disagree with the idea of targetting high upside types in the top 6 like Wiseman or Okoro, or even a sleeper for a high pick like Jalen Smith at 5 or 6 nor do I disagree with the idea of taking a prospect they think is a good fit once the highest upside and highest floor options are gone if they get pushed to 6...like Avdija or maybe a prospect like Nesmith could be viewed as a great fit with some upside to work with or a good fit & nice floor but I am not sold there are really any propsect in this draft that are going to move the needle enough to use at the 3 full time to take in the top 6 except maybe Okoro or Edwards and I would have to trade down for a position of need pick like Deni or Nesmith myself to pass on a higher tier prospect.
Right now my thought is few if any teams will be willing to give up future assets for picks or trade ups,like if they are thinking of trading down from 5 or 6 but the Cavs could easily go after a 6 for 16 and 26 45 swap with Boston I think or maybe a 5 for 9 and 32 from CHA would work for both. idk

If Chicago would be interested in it I would like the idea of something like #2 for Lauri + #7 from Chicago. Their fans aren't interested in that trade and I know the fact that Lauri is going to need a new contract is sort of sucky, but I think that he would be a good long term replacement for Love and if we could then move Love for expiring contracts, or a combination of longer contracts that fill areas of need, it would really help set the Cavs up long term.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#5 » by Stillwater » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:07 am

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:^ I think because the floors for success and making an impact in the NBA are really strong Okongwu and Edwards of the one and done have the easiest roads to at minimum being good NBA starters.and both have high upsides maybe elite ones. The other lottery high floors are all sophomores in Vassell Obi or Halliburton but purely as a result of 2 years of college and more tape. none of those 3 though project to have the same potential as a Ball or Hayes or even Cole Anthony by most reviews even though they probably do in realty but it could be a issue depending on who the CLE scouts are listening too if the predraft process is lacking in combine info and in person wrokout settings for the BPA argument esp if they agree with the general opinion and will take Ball or worse Anthony.

If Chicago would be interested in it I would like the idea of something like #2 for Lauri + #7 from Chicago. Their fans aren't interested in that trade and I know the fact that Lauri is going to need a new contract is sort of sucky, but I think that he would be a good long term replacement for Love and if we could then move Love for expiring contracts, or a combination of longer contracts that fill areas of need, it would really help set the Cavs up long term.

yeah Markanen is probably worth more than moving up 5 spots for them...but I hear you.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#6 » by Stillwater » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:05 pm

Revenged25 wrote:I think top targets would be Toppin and Wiseman. Toppin could be the long term replacement to Love while Love has amazing potential and makes the need to resign Drummond much smaller.

btw I dont think it's impossible for Obi to be on the Cavs radar esp if he comes into a workout setting and shows something more from mid range and deep even though his shot has never been true J. If he does that he maybe should be taken in the top 6 but if not, I think most orgs are going to shy away from a player of his archtype that is not a great interior defender and is limited to scoring in the same square footage.
Maybe also or instead of floor stretching if he can show the ability to defend the perimeter by proving to be exceptional athletically with lateral quickness that up till now looks unlikely , then maybe his stock shoots up into the Cavs range.
I dont think they will see him as a Love replacement and most orgs will view him as is to be a small ball 5 who has to come off the bench because his defense is meh.
right now I think Nance is the closest thing we have to Obi and Nance is a better defender despite not being the same dominant offensive type.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#7 » by gflem » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:08 pm

For me it would be Edwards or Wiseman at one or two. The upside of either one is the selling point. I really am leery of Ball, probably more due to being named Ball along with his lack of outside shooting. If the pick is between 3 and 6, that leaves a lot of options. I think at that point its hard to know who the team is high on, or if they would potentially move down.
Okongwu, Toppin, Avdija would be possibilities if they don't trade down. If some other team falls in love with Ball (like NY maybe) or some other player and our pick falls I think moving the pick is a real possibility.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#8 » by Stillwater » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:20 pm

gflem wrote:For me it would be Edwards or Wiseman at one or two. The upside of either one is the selling point. I really am leery of Ball, probably more due to being named Ball along with his lack of outside shooting. If the pick is between 3 and 6, that leaves a lot of options. I think at that point its hard to know who the team is high on, or if they would potentially move down.
Okongwu, Toppin, Avdija would be possibilities if they don't trade down. If some other team falls in love with Ball (like NY maybe) or some other player and our pick falls I think moving the pick is a real possibility.

I agree with the draw towards both of them and the upside is realistic, I am somewhat reserved on Wiseman because he is very raw. I am also a tad bit low on Edwards in some respects because I am not sure what this org will then do with KPJ who I am really high on as a starter.
overall I think Ball probably is higher on their board than he should be just from a iq and playmaking standpoint esp if they think he can play defense against sf's ( doubtful) but where maybe they envision him as the missing link in that regard as opposed to being a point guard . He does have good size and ball handling to attack the paint to pair with the passing to be a point forward despite never caring about defending but not being a reliable shooter at all to me is the biggest detractor and the lack of spacing will mean he would be jacking up bad shots all season in the name of finding his shot and this org would let him do it.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#9 » by Stillwater » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:51 pm

Here is a possible trade down scenario although the odds are slim they would move down this much. I mean the 5th for a mid post lottery pick and 2 late picks seems fair in this one, maybe cavs throw in McKinnie too.
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/draft_simulator/view/698042/
The point would be their true top tier targets are gone or most anyway and they want to aquire some late round role players with sleeping upsides.
Boston would maybe give up the 3 picks given 2 are late first in a weak draft esp if getting a high floor win now offensive player is worth it to them.
I have CLE taking a underrated big in Stewart, a sleeper 3/4 defender in Bey and the high energy swingman and big time sleeper in Hinton.
I would much rather have these 3 for fit than overpicking somebody for fit at 5 or 6.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#10 » by Stillwater » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:14 pm

Not that they will do anything besides bpa again,
but if they want to pick for greatest need above all else it's this order imo :
high floor defenders in top 4...and then its solid defensive potential with high offensive upside in Wiseman and then its the high offensive floor playmakers after that.
Okongwu
Edwards
Vassell
Okoro

Wiseman

Hayes
Ball
Halliburton
Avdija
Toppin

sleepers trade down fits
Perry
Smith
Oturu
Hinton
T Bey
Nesmith
Williams
Green
--
late 2nd flyer picks or udfa pick ups:
Bolmaro
Watford
Queen
Gillespie
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,351

Post#11 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:43 pm

If the work-ethic is truly there, I'd probably take a shot at Edwards even though we have Porter Jr and hope he eventually develops a reliable 3pt shot like Sexton; otherwise I'm just going to continue to get hyped up about James Wiseman's 3 games, lol.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#12 » by Stillwater » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:37 pm

JonFromVA wrote:If the work-ethic is truly there, I'd probably take a shot at Edwards even though we have Porter Jr and hope he eventually develops a reliable 3pt shot like Sexton; otherwise I'm just going to continue to get hyped up about James Wiseman's 3 games, lol.

fair enough. but wouldn't you rather they took somebody with a high floor instead of another ceiling that is elite but with the super low floor where if he ever gets good at basketball is the only way he was worth it type like Wiseman?
I would take Okongwu easily before Wiseman unless W shows up at a Cavs private workout(suggesting he wants to be in CLE) and follows it up with a high level shooting ability out to the 3 point line proving he has been putting work in while not playing , esp considering he never has shown to have a solid jumper despite never being afraid to jack it up there or put the ball on the floor in HS. and or maybe take him instead of big O if big O is vocal about not wanting to be in CLE or something. Beyond that I trust Big O's shooting form a lot more even though both have been non factors out side the mid range for the most part there has been a better level of flashes from O.
As far as Edwards he has to play the 3 imo for the Cavs to make him worth it at #1. he probably can do it, and maybe him and KPJ can coexist but the sims to their game make me think it's probably unlikely he is the top target for fit even if he is the bpa on paper which is why I would consider him my second option after big O going on the info we have at this time. Wiseman is close and probably a better fit than Edwards as is though too, he just has to show me a little more and that probably aint hapnn
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#13 » by JonFromVA » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:20 pm

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:If the work-ethic is truly there, I'd probably take a shot at Edwards even though we have Porter Jr and hope he eventually develops a reliable 3pt shot like Sexton; otherwise I'm just going to continue to get hyped up about James Wiseman's 3 games, lol.

fair enough. but wouldn't you rather they took somebody with a high floor instead of another ceiling that is elite but with the super low floor where if he ever gets good at basketball is the only way he was worth it type like Wiseman?
I would take Okongwu easily before Wiseman unless W shows up at a Cavs private workout(suggesting he wants to be in CLE) and follows it up with a high level shooting ability out to the 3 point line proving he has been putting work in while not playing , esp considering he never has shown to have a solid jumper despite never being afraid to jack it up there or put the ball on the floor in HS. and or maybe take him instead of big O if big O is vocal about not wanting to be in CLE or something. Beyond that I trust Big O's shooting form a lot more even though both have been non factors out side the mid range for the most part there has been a better level of flashes from O.
As far as Edwards he has to play the 3 imo for the Cavs to make him worth it at #1. he probably can do it, and maybe him and KPJ can coexist but the sims to their game make me think it's probably unlikely he is the top target for fit even if he is the bpa on paper which is why I would consider him my second option after big O going on the info we have at this time. Wiseman is close and probably a better fit than Edwards as is though too, he just has to show me a little more and that probably aint hapnn

I'd gladly to take a higher-floor guy like Okongwu if he was a more established shooter. Lacking a valuable skill like that, I'd rather take the risk on the higher upside player.

IMO, we're still hunting for star-level players.

Of course Edwards can't shoot well either, but from what I've read - his scoring ability is very high level AND he's also young for his class.

Given the state of the team, I'm afraid we need to be looking pretty far in to the future with our crystal ball.I was really hoping Beilein would work-out because it's hard to get anywhere via the draft without solid player development. There's likely plenty of time (multiple years) to sort out the roster and make trades for players who fit better when we get to the point that may make a difference.
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#14 » by gflem » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:32 pm

Stillwater wrote:

If the Cavs can try to play Garland and Sexton together, I think they can find a way to make Edwards and Porter work if that's the way they go. I am looking forward to seeing Porter Jr, and admit drafting Edwards might hinder his development but bpa is still the way to go at this point imo.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#15 » by JonFromVA » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:46 pm

gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:

If the Cavs can try to play Garland and Sexton together, I think they can find a way to make Edwards and Porter work if that's the way they go. I am looking forward to seeing Porter Jr, and admit drafting Edwards might hinder his development but bpa is still the way to go at this point imo.

The harsh reality of the lottery is that unless you snag a generational player, these guys can take well in to their second contract before they truly learn to play winning ball - assuming they ever do.

You either stay patient, develop players, and see who shakes out ... or you do your best to inflate your young player's value and then trade'em for actual stars.

Hopefully the Cavs are not taking the later approach ... seems only Cavs fans are excited about our young players.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#16 » by Stillwater » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:31 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
gflem wrote:
Stillwater wrote:fair enough. but wouldn't you rather they took somebody with a high floor instead of another ceiling that is elite but with the super low floor where if he ever gets good at basketball is the only way he was worth it type like Wiseman?

The harsh reality of the lottery is that unless you snag a generational player, these guys can take well in to their second contract before they truly learn to play winning ball - assuming they ever do.

You either stay patient, develop players, and see who shakes out ... or you do your best to inflate your young player's value and then trade'em for actual stars.

Hopefully the Cavs are not taking the later approach ... seems only Cavs fans are excited about our young players.

the difference I guess between my thinking and most in regards to Okongwu, is I see him having very close to a BAM Adebayo level ceiling offensively and I think he is being slept on in that regard even though it is ovbious his passing ability has to improve to reach that level, I beleive he will be even better defensively and sooner in his career which most agree hence the high ranking...for his defense.
O has a jumper its documented albeit an rare sight which is more than I can say for any other fornt court options in this draft besides Jalen Smith and unlike most defensive bigs Okongwu's touch around the basket offensively is as good as Obis already and definitely advanced for a one and done.
I think O has almost as high of a ceiling as Wiseman and the only difference beeing Wiseman has better length and more hype.
I mean O is a better athlete than WIseman too which is commonly missed and a much more knowledgeable player by the looks of it at this time and so the odds are much greater he is a positive addition to the Cavs rebuild from day one as opposed to just another role player who might turn into something in 4 years like Garland. I mean I am ok with Wiseman for his rim protection from day one too but just not sold he will become an elite player for awhile anyway.

Its a no brainer to take big O imo unless they want to give up on Garland already and go for Hayes or some other guard only prospect like Cole Anthony or Halliburton but none of those 3 are #1 pick material.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#17 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:26 am

Stillwater wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
gflem wrote:If the Cavs can try to play Garland and Sexton together, I think they can find a way to make Edwards and Porter work if that's the way they go. I am looking forward to seeing Porter Jr, and admit drafting Edwards might hinder his development but bpa is still the way to go at this point imo.

the difference I guess between my thinking and most in regards to Okongwu, is I see him having very close to a BAM Adebayo level ceiling offensively and I think he is being slept on in that regard even though it is ovbious his passing ability has to improve to reach that level, I beleive he will be even better defensively and sooner in his career which most agree hence the high ranking...for his defense.
O has a jumper its documented albeit an rare sight which is more than I can say for any other fornt court options in this draft besides Jalen Smith and unlike most defensive bigs Okongwu's touch around the basket offensively is as good as Obis already and definitely advanced for a one and done.
I think O has almost as high of a ceiling as Wiseman and the only difference beeing Wiseman has better length and more hype.
I mean O is a better athlete than WIseman too which is commonly missed and a much more knowledgeable player by the looks of it at this time and so the odds are much greater he is a positive addition to the Cavs rebuild from day one as opposed to just another role player who might turn into something in 4 years like Garland. I mean I am ok with Wiseman for his rim protection from day one too but just not sold he will become an elite player for awhile anyway.

Its a no brainer to take big O imo unless they want to give up on Garland already and go for Hayes or some other guard only prospect like Cole Anthony or Halliburton but none of those 3 are #1 pick material.

It might turn out getting the next Bam is the best this draft ends up producing, but the real Bam was the 14th selection in his draft.

I won't hate it if that's what we get, but seems like they should aim higher. They need to start getting this stuff right.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#18 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:29 pm

I have concerns about pretty much every highly ranked prospect in this draft besides Okongwu and Vassell because i see in both ceilings being just as high as the others as it pertains to actual attainable reality
I would love for them to gamble on Wiseman being the next Embiid but he could easily be Jaret allen his whole career. Same goes for Edwards he could be Jimmy Butler or he could be nothing more than Norman Powell but at least the floor is reasonable.
Ball has no real comp and i think it keeps him polarizing but unless those decisions on and off court are a lot better as a adult which i dont trust he will not only be a flight risk his odds of working match Johnny football.
Hayes is interesting if Garland is outgoing because i think he can become a decent defensive player...but he might never be and rarely uses his right hand so his versatility as a finisher is ltd until he does.
Side note;
Personally think Sexton showed so much in those few games under jb as a distributor he really should be the starting pg going forward and if they draft a guard it should be an off ball defender that can shoot like Vassell unless they think Kpj cant handle defending 3s. I think kpj is more than capable as a sf or sg with his iso ability.
Revenged25
Analyst

Post#19 » by Revenged25 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:09 pm

Stillwater wrote:I have concerns about pretty much every highly ranked prospect in this draft besides Okongwu and Vassell because i see in both ceilings being just as high as the others as it pertains to actual attainable reality
I would love for them to gamble on Wiseman being the next Embiid but he could easily be Jaret allen his whole career. Same goes for Edwards he could be Jimmy Butler or he could be nothing more than Norman Powell but at least the floor is reasonable.
Ball has no real comp and i think it keeps him polarizing but unless those decisions on and off court are a lot better as a adult which i dont trust he will not only be a flight risk his odds of working match Johnny football.
Hayes is interesting if Garland is outgoing because i think he can become a decent defensive player...but he might never be and rarely uses his right hand so his versatility as a finisher is ltd until he does.
Side note;
Personally think Sexton showed so much in those few games under jb as a distributor he really should be the starting pg going forward and if they draft a guard it should be an off ball defender that can shoot like Vassell unless they think Kpj cant handle defending 3s. I think kpj is more than capable as a sf or sg with his iso ability.

With his length, what do you think of Vassell defeding 3's?
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#20 » by Stillwater » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:49 pm

Revenged25 wrote:
Stillwater wrote:I have concerns about pretty much every highly ranked prospect in this draft besides Okongwu and Vassell because i see in both ceilings being just as high as the others as it pertains to actual attainable reality
Side note;

With his length, what do you think of Vassell defeding 3's?

yeah 6'10" isnt great but his awareness and speed should make him more than capable on switches. imo his offensive arsenol is also a little underrated given he moves the ball really well as a secondary handler and that high release is golden.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers