Oladipo to sit out NBA return....or not?

Moderators: pacers33granger, Grang33r, pacerfan, Jake0890, boomershadow

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,044

Re: Oladipo to sit out NBA return 

Post#21 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:22 pm

Jake0890 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Hmmmmmmm...

Thanks for posting that. Gotta say, it’s a weird way to go about, but I’m happy that the thought is that he was out unless everything just felt perfect.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Oladipo to sit out NBA return....or not? 

Post#22 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:34 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
pacers33granger
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,584

Post#23 » by pacers33granger » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:45 pm

Almost gotta wonder if he read all the (unnecessary) backlash and decided to lay it all out there. Not sure how I feel about that as I want him healthy no matter what.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#24 » by Jake0890 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:20 pm

I doubt Dipo is listening to the public backlash. He's always been an elite competitor and anyone who watched him as early as IU could tell you that. For someone like him, being locked down with all these other NBA players and feeling physically in-shape and playing well (supposedly), I think he's just itching to prove he can compete. As long as he feels comfortable going full speed, how could he NOT want to play!

That's not to say he'll end up playing... but if you're an NBA caliber player in his position, I think you'd find it hard not to want to play. If he had no intention to play, I think he'd be sitting at home or at the very least not participating in 5v5 drills.
Jake0890
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 807

Post#25 » by Jake0890 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:41 pm

This also may be a primary reason why he's reconsidering...

Read on Twitter
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#26 » by Pacersike » Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:25 pm

I'm not a fan of leaders taking U-turns, wether your name is Trump or Oladipo. So now it's just still an option.

Big boo to the Pacers willing to pay Vic the rest of his salary while not playing games.

When will the world wake up and put boundaries on self enrichment's? A few more coronas I guess...

It's madness to pay entertainers so much money, it's totally insane to ignore the opportunity to donate the money to the real heroes, who are saving lives.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:30 am

Pacersike wrote:I'm not a fan of leaders taking U-turns, wether your name is Trump or Oladipo. So now it's just still an option.

Big boo to the Pacers willing to pay Vic the rest of his salary while not playing games.

When will the world wake up and put boundaries on self enrichment's? A few more coronas I guess...

It's madness to pay entertainers so much money, it's totally insane to ignore the opportunity to donate the money to the real heroes, who are saving lives.

Signed contracts legally dictate a lot.
Gremz
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,142

Post#28 » by Gremz » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:55 am

It also may be viewed as an investment from the Pacers side. Or they have their own policy regarding this pandemic for the whole franchise, who knows.

I understand the need for sport to return, just like many other industries, however I'd take any action that happens during this strange time with a grain of salt.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 15, 2020 3:58 pm

Gremz wrote:It also may be viewed as an investment from the Pacers side. Or they have their own policy regarding this pandemic for the whole franchise, who knows.

I understand the need for sport to return, just like many other industries, however I'd take any action that happens during this strange time with a grain of salt.

When Reggie retired, we paid out his remaining contract, though we weren’t required to since Reggie filled out retirement paperwork. So there’s a history there.
Pacersike
Analyst
And1: 823

Post#30 » by Pacersike » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:43 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
Pacersike wrote:I'm not a fan of leaders taking U-turns, wether your name is Trump or Oladipo. So now it's just still an option.

Sometimes it takes only 1 party to change mind and it's just a piece of paper to rip.

I probably should have added that if Vic is that cautious, being healthy and still not trying to play, the right thing to do, would be giving up the remaining salary.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 15, 2020 4:59 pm

Meeting with the media now.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:00 pm

Pacersike wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:

Sometimes it takes only 1 party to change mind and it's just a piece of paper to rip.

I probably should have added that if Vic is that cautious, being healthy and still not trying to play, the right thing to do, would be giving up the remaining salary.

Not nba contracts. They actually would need 3 parties to agree to any changes. The player, the teams, and the players union.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,264

Post#33 » by boomershadow » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:05 am

Hs should have just continued to see where his knee was, be open about him being doubtful, and when he got to Orlando make a decision then. There wasnt even any need to come out on July 3rd and say anything. Now everybody is just confused.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 931

Post#34 » by Tom White » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:46 pm

Pacersike wrote:Sometimes it takes only 1 party to change mind and it's just a piece of paper to rip.

That would not be much of a contract, would it? I have a feeling the NBA, Teams and Players all have lawyers that are much too smart to enter into any agreement like that.
Tom White
Sixth Man
And1: 931

Post#35 » by Tom White » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:52 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:When Reggie retired, we paid out his remaining contract, though we weren’t required to since Reggie filled out retirement paperwork. So there’s a history there.

If memory serves me well, they also bought him a Bentley. I always thought that was an odd choice. I mean, can you picture Reggie driving a Bentley? Maybe anything from a Corvette to an Escalade, but not a Bentley. I wonder what he ever did with that car? Maybe gave it to some nice elderly neighbor lady? Or maybe to his favorite stripper? :lol:
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Scoot McGroot » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:37 pm

Tom White wrote:
Scoot McGroot wrote:When Reggie retired, we paid out his remaining contract, though we weren’t required to since Reggie filled out retirement paperwork. So there’s a history there.

If memory serves me well, they also bought him a Bentley. I always thought that was an odd choice. I mean, can you picture Reggie driving a Bentley? Maybe anything from a Corvette to an Escalade, but not a Bentley. I wonder what he ever did with that car? Maybe gave it to some nice elderly neighbor lady? Or maybe to his favorite stripper? :lol:

Yup. They gave him the car on court at his final home game, if I recall.
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,929

Post#37 » by basketballwacko2 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:51 am

Tom White wrote:

I've driven a Bentley recently this is an amazing car! One of my clients in my business owns one like in the picture and he has a white Ferrari.

Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:11 am

Vic expected to play in scrimmages while assessing his availability for actual games.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:10 pm

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2020/07/22/pacers-star-victor-oladipo-play-orlando-nba-restart-after-drama/5470520002/

Whether you love him, or you hate him, Doyel has some good information in this editorial to make it worth a read for Pacers fans. Give it a click.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Scoot McGroot » Sat Aug 1, 2020 3:35 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Return to Indiana Pacers