ImageImageImageImageImage

OT: Cops kill George Floyd

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

Fat Kat
RealGM
And1: 29,145

Re: OT: Cops kill George Floyd 

Post#1841 » by Fat Kat » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:49 am

Read on Twitter
All comments made by Fat Kat are given as opinion, which may or may not be derived from facts, and not made to personally attack anyone on Realgm. All rights reserved.®
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,444

Post#1842 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:33 am

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

:noway:

Looks like one my neighbors. These guys are ALL OVER THIS PLACE here. The guy filming should've gotten out of the car and pulled that fat fck out and give him a beating in front of his wife.
Free Palestine
Zenzibar
General Manager
And1: 8,286

Post#1843 » by Zenzibar » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:26 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Looks like one my neighbors. These guys are ALL OVER THIS PLACE here. The guy filming should've gotten out of the car and pulled that fat fck out and give him a beating in front of his wife.

His Brooklyn Italian accent is unmistakable and woman's big hair 50's look never goes out of style I noticed.
Stop All Genocides
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,955

Post#1844 » by ITGM » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:21 pm

Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

He should've gotten his ass beat on sight!
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1845 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:04 pm

Zenzibar wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

His Brooklyn Italian accent is unmistakable and woman's big hair 50's look never goes out of style I noticed.

After living in racially mixed communities for 30 years without any problems whatsoever, this is what I came home to. LI is stuck in some kind of time warp.
Free Palestine
HarthorneWingo
RealGM

Post#1846 » by HarthorneWingo » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:07 pm

ITGM wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Better yet follow him home and then do it. Too much traffic on Hempstead Tpk.
Free Palestine
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#1847 » by Jkam31 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:42 pm

More killings in Chicago and not a **** word from these “woke” athletes. 14 people shot 14 at a funeral why we don’t see people come together to try to end gang violence is beyond me
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,041

Post#1848 » by robillionaire » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:25 pm

Jkam31 wrote:More killings in Chicago and not a **** word from these “woke” athletes. 14 people shot 14 at a funeral why we don’t see people come together to try to end gang violence is beyond me

yeah communities should come together to try to end gang violence and the shooting is a tragedy. the insinuation that activists don't care about this is not true. but it's a shame ppl can't discuss this without also using the shot people as a prop to take shots at athletes and the blm movement as the right wing has essentially made "black on black violence" their misdirection talking point of the month to derail the conversation and change the subject, not that they care about their deaths but for the sole purpose of making a red herring argument to deflect criticism from cops and undermine the movement and causes of BLM. they have been doing this tactic for years and years now even before trayvon martin and the agenda it is very transparent
ITGM
RealGM
And1: 7,955

Post#1849 » by ITGM » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:38 pm

Jkam31 wrote:More killings in Chicago and not a **** word from these “woke” athletes. 14 people shot 14 at a funeral why we don’t see people come together to try to end gang violence is beyond me

Why are you comparing murderous gangs and criminals killing each other in Chicago to a nation of murderous institutionalized racist law enforcement officials that are killing the innocent people they were sworn to protect and serve?
Jkam31
Head Coach
And1: 5,670

Post#1850 » by Jkam31 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:43 pm

ITGM wrote:

Why are you comparing murderous gangs and criminals killing each other in Chicago to a nation of murderous institutionalized racist law enforcement officials that are killing the innocent people they were sworn to protect and serve?

I’m comparing the outrage you don’t hear about this stuff from athletes. Too many kids are dying at an alarming rate but nothing is ever talked about, especially when most of this kids would be impacted by athletes speaking out as they are now.
8516knicks
Head Coach
And1: 4,815

Post#1851 » by 8516knicks » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:51 pm

HarthorneWingo wrote:
ITGM wrote:
Fat Kat wrote:
Read on Twitter

Looks like Dick Cheney to me!
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 82,146

Post#1852 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:07 pm

Jkam31 wrote:
ITGM wrote:

I’m comparing the outrage you don’t hear about this stuff from athletes. Too many kids are dying at an alarming rate but nothing is ever talked about, especially when most of this kids would be impacted by athletes speaking out as they are now.

Interesting topic. Very tragic. Why do you thing these things happen in this location or other communities like it?

Is there some kind of understandable, measurable thing?
Is it "cultural"
Is there some other kind of "thing"

Give us some of your theories.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1853 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:07 pm

8516knicks wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
ITGM wrote:

Looks like Dick Cheney to me!

Love Child of Dick Cheney and Archie Bunker
Jay10
RealGM
And1: 11,905

Post#1854 » by Jay10 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:38 pm

Jkam31 wrote:
ITGM wrote:

How often do you hear/see rich people killing rich people in the news?

There is a system that is purposely put in place where it doesn't matter what athletes do or say it isn't going to change anything.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 100,213

Post#1855 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:53 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
Jkam31 wrote:
ITGM wrote:

Interesting topic. Very tragic. Why do you thing these things happen in this location or other communities like it?

Is it "cultural"

I think President Obama said it best

B2B 2021-22 & 2022-23 BAF Champion Spurs:

ROSTER

Nic Claxton/Walker Kessler/Jeff Green
Nikola Jokic/Jonathan Kuminga/Dean Wade
Cam Johnson/Josh Hart/Kenrich Williams
Alex Caruso/Killian Hayes/Aaron Wiggins
Steph Curry/Delon Wright/DSJ
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1856 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:58 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Jkam31 wrote:

Is it "cultural"

Why aren't they involved?
What lead to this state of affairs?
History? Policy? Unintended consequences of some law(s)?
Is it knowable?
What caused them to not be involved?
These are human beings. If all human beings are pretty much the same, the cause must be knowable.
Or is it some...inner defect? (obviously I don't think that, but a whiff of that surrounds some of the "arguments")

Listen, I loved Obama, and he's not specifically wrong, but he's politicking here. Working the gun control angle that liberals like with some "family values" fluff that middle americans love to hear. Again, nothing wrong with either idea. To an extent.

So, lets unpack this. Involved dads could cut down all the shooting. Assuming these dads are not horrible human beings and should enjoy, to some degree or another, less people being shot and killed, why haven't they done this simple thing already?

Or is the problem a little more complicated? Or that while there is SOME truth in these statements, there's a whiff of "easy way out" and "blame the victims" in it, not just from Obama, but in general when these kinds of "solutions" get promoted.
thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1857 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:06 pm

Jay10 wrote:
Jkam31 wrote:
ITGM wrote:

How often do you hear/see rich people killing rich people in the news?

There is a system that is purposely put in place where it doesn't matter what athletes do or say it isn't going to change anything.

It's almost as if poverty, regardless of color, causes sh*tty conditions where people do and have sh*tty things happen to them.
And then there is the racism on top of it.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1858 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:06 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:

Is it "cultural"

Is it knowable?
These are human beings. If all human beings are pretty much the same, the cause must be knowable.
Or is it some...inner defect? (obviously I don't think that, but a whiff of that surrounds some of the "arguments"

I would be glad to get in a nice discussion.

I would ask you the following question:

In the 1960's the single parent household rate was at 25% but now its around 75%

Was there a specific policy created in the 1960's that might deemphasized dual parent hoseholds?

ROSTER

thebuzzardman
RealGM

Post#1859 » by thebuzzardman » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:10 pm

mpharris36 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:

Is it knowable?
Or is it some...inner defect? (obviously I don't think that, but a whiff of that surrounds some of the "arguments"

In the 1960's the single parent household rate was at 25% but now its around 75%

Was there a specific policy created in the 1960's that might deemphasized dual parent hoseholds?

Are you sure you aren't a closet conservative?

Because I'm familiar with the "Roe V Wade" argument.

Why not just availability of birth control?
Changing women's roles?
Economic issues?
Multiple causes?

I've often heard this argument used to deemphasize the impact of mass incarceration.
And I'm not saying it didn't have a role
But the places where I see this argument get stood up as a prime cause? Uh, yeah. ok.

The closet conservative remark was a little harsh.

Here's my thing. I don't disagree with anything you said, so far, to an extent. I just find, in general, not you specifically, that when it comes to "social science" based arguments, a lot of people, myself included, are comfortable lifting facts in a way they wouldn't be in a math, chemistry, physics etc argument and that the shape of some of these "facts" and how they are presented are more interesting to me in what they reveal about the person's views, then even to what degree they may or may not be the cause, which is a debate even among academic experts.

Is the implication here that Roe V Wade affects black households more? Why?
Shouldn't this be uniform across our society, if not each economic stripe, then exactly the same across within economic bands, regardless of race?

Single parent households is an issue.
I'm not sure it's THE issue.
mpharris36
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks

Post#1860 » by mpharris36 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:19 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
mpharris36 wrote:
thebuzzardman wrote:
Is it knowable?

Are you sure you aren't a closet conservative?

Because I'm familiar with the "Roe V Wade" argument.

Why not just availability of birth control?
Changing women's roles?

I've often heard this argument used to deemphasize the impact of mass incarceration.
And I'm not saying it didn't have a role
But the places where I see this argument get stood up as a prime cause? Uh, yeah. ok.

I was actually referring to Lyndon B. Johnson's Great Society policy aka Welfare. While I believe the intentions of the policy to reduce Welfare around the country had good intentions in turn over the years it was more financially beneficial for parents not to marry or be together. In the long run that has negative impacts on a childs development (regardless of race) proved by many studies and facts.

Also I'm not sure what my specific political views would have in a civil discussion if I am presenting information, I don't think an insult was necessary. If you care to know I think I have stated in this thread I am a moderate that tends to lean more conservative on economical stances.

ROSTER

Return to New York Knicks