ImageImageImageImageImage

Scrimmage: Nets vs Pelicans - Wednesday, 07/22/20, 7:00 PM | YES & NBATV

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,863

Re: Scrimmage: Nets vs Pelicans - Wednesday, 07/22/20, 7:00 PM | YES & NBATV 

Post#21 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:22 pm

I can't say that what I'm seeing here is encouraging. It's not the players' fault, we just are razor thin up front and we're starting G leaguers. I've been watching the games since 3pm and the lack of talent on the Nets is glaring compared to everyone else.

Jarrett Allen needs to get his hair shaped up.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,001

Post#22 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:30 pm

Really not sure what this tem sees in Martin.

Need much, much better from Musa as well.
FrenchNBAFan
Junior
And1: 95

Post#23 » by FrenchNBAFan » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:30 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I can't say that what I'm seeing here is encouraging. It's not the players' fault, we just are razor thin up front and we're starting G leaguers. I've been watching the games since 3pm and the lack of talent on the Nets is glaring compared to everyone else.

Jarrett Allen needs to get his hair shaped up.

That's why I'm not high on trading our depth for a third star
( I don't have follow the news since the NBA stopped we're going to do this type of trade or not? )
3pt_chucker
Head Coach

Post#24 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:34 pm

This is tough to watch.
Sharcm1
Veteran
And1: 688

Post#25 » by Sharcm1 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:36 pm

Well this is going about as well as I thought it would.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach

Post#26 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:42 pm

Kurucs has looked good tbh
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#27 » by MGrand15 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:00 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
FrenchNBAFan wrote:I think the bubble is the last chance for Kurucs and Musa

the fact that Rodi couldn't

even grab the starting job at PF speaks volumes to me.

Could be wrong but I think it's just so he can play back up C.

Hope he proves something here though. I think it's both of their last chance too. Sucks considering how fun Rodi was as a rookie.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach

Post#28 » by 3pt_chucker » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:16 am

MGrand15 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
FrenchNBAFan wrote:I think the bubble is the last chance for Kurucs and Musa

the fact that Rodi couldn't

even grab the starting job at PF speaks volumes to me.

Could be wrong but I think it's just so he can play back up C.

Hope he proves something here though. I think it's both of their last chance too. Sucks considering how fun Rodi was as a rookie.

Yeah, he's back up C this game.
LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#29 » by LOUiS-D » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:56 am

man gonna be weird to see finals games played like this. strong last game of the night at the rec center vibes. would be cool to have stream integrated cheering for piped in audience sounds. like you have a bunch of buttons to press: "booo", "that's not a foul", "lets go nets", "wooo"
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,445

Post#30 » by Stone » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:13 am

It's all good...were watching the Nets in July. I guess we are going to have to get used to the "Bubble" atmosphere, which was better than I expected.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
MGrand15
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by MGrand15 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:21 am

This was pretty tough to watch. We can't afford to miss any of our players if we wanna be competitive. We were down 3 replacements + Harris so this wasn't surprising.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#32 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:14 am

I only saw the second half of the game once I got home, I share some of your concerns. As a team, we knew that the talent disparity would be evident. I was discouraged to see a general lack of cohesion and conditioning as well. I was quite confident that we were the second worst team in the bubble, next to Washington. Now I'm not so sure.

I saw someone else on here predict that Caris would get off to a rough start, and that was true. We all know he's a rhythm player, but in this setting his talent should allow him to dominate. The problem is, he doesn't have the extra gear of athleticism, so he's taking moderately tough shots for all of his points. Since he's not in a groove, a lot of those shots are going to miss. I was encouraged by his defensive effort at times, but I doubt he'll have the energy to be the catalyst on both ends for the rest of the season.

I'm glad to see chiozza Stark, he has great chemistry which Levert and that will be crucial. However, his reaction time was slow, which is a killer for an undersized guy. Also, he made a lot of wrap-around passes that took time to unload, the pelicans we're picking off his passes right and left. He's got to correct that, and as a former point guard Jacques should have already corrected that.

TLC performed poorly as well, and I'm going to give him a complete pass. We have no credible PF options, so he's standing in the gap out of position.

They didn't even need Favors tonight, Melli and Okafor both intimidated Jarrett. He's going to have to grow a pair, and become the enforcer that we need so desperately right now.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#33 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:14 am

The Bubble atmosphere is fine. It's basketball in the gym pretty much, it honestly has a more personal feel to it, kind of like watching ball in the YMCA on a Saturday morning while waiting for your turn to get on the court. I enjoyed watching the games today.

That being said...guys like Chiozza and TLC aren't supposed to be high usage players, and we saw why. Caris LeVert, as I have said repeatedly on here, is notorious for being a slow starter and he showed that tonight. I barely noticed him on the floor. I'm sorry, you can call this knee jerk or whatever, but his history shows that he isn't a reliable player coming off of a layoff. Is he really the 3rd star of this team? He's often injured, and when he comes back from time off, he is awful.

Dinwiddie would have probably dropped 20+ tonight. If you ask me who we should keep and who we should trade off, the solution is quite clear.

Anyway, do not be surprised if the Nets fall down into the play in scenario with Washington. Some teams are going to tank games during the seeding games, and this team is not good at all. Orlando is way better. Way better. We have zero shot creators, and no size up front. What team is this roster beating over the next 6 weeks? This is not an NBA caliber roster that is able to compete in a 20 team scenario.

I feel bad for Jacque Vaughn. He doesn't even have a fair shot at winning the coaching job because he's been given a horrible roster to work with.

Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Post#34 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:35 am

We were already one of the weaker teams and got absolutely decimated by injuries. This whole bubble experience will be painful for us.

Its basically a bunch of scrubs playing major minutes that have no shot at making the team next year.

Only positive is that it may help some of the young guys development.

If not for the Wizards being even more of a **** show than we are, we would easily fall out of the playoffs. Bucks will destroy us in the 1st round.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by MGrand15 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:43 am

Can we at least get our full roster and get our legs under us before we get penciled in for an easy 0-8 ?
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#36 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:45 am

MGrand15 wrote:Can we at least get our full roster and get our legs under us before we get penciled in for an easy 0-8 ?

I mean yes, I want to see what TJ and JC have to offer. But whew. This is going to be a rough go for us.

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#37 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:57 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:Really not sure what this tem sees in Martin.

Need much, much better from Musa as well.

Martin is an outstanding defender. we lack defenders at G/F. i assume thats why he is here. That Nwaba/Shumpert role
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#38 » by Prokorov » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:01 pm

We wont go 0-8. did people watch other games and look at other rosters? its all a crap show. and guys will be in and out as they get infected.

not to mention, the Wizards do NOT want to make the playoffs. They want a lottery pick, not to see a Wall-less Beal-less team get stomped by the bucks
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#39 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:31 pm

Prokorov wrote:We wont go 0-8. did people watch other games and look at other rosters? its all a crap show. and guys will be in and out as they get infected.

not to mention, the Wizards do NOT want to make the playoffs. They want a lottery pick, not to see a Wall-less Beal-less team get stomped by the bucks

I watched much of Orlando/LA and DEN/WAS. Washington is really bad, but I would not be shocked if they beat us. I can see Rui Hachimura putting up a huge game versus us since we have no front line depth.

Orlando was no match for the Clippers who have elite depth and two all NBA players at the wings, but they do have some solid talent on their roster and some athletes. They didn't look bad at all.

I'm hoping that an outbreak does not happen, since it was really fun to see basketball and the players looked like they were enjoying being out there. But being realistic, I don't have high hopes.

Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#40 » by Claud » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:19 pm

Difficult to extract anything important from scrimmage #1.

We were only able to use 9 bodies while the Pels had their entire roster minus Zion and Favs(14 players).

Not even Joe Harris suited up. We looked super gassed and severely outmatched throughout the game.

With that being said, I feel like this bubble tournament isn't really about winning for us at this point.

It's just about developing our players and seeing who is worthy of a spot next season once the cavalry returns.

One of the few positives for me was that Rodi played aggressive and looked locked in both ways. Hopefully his off the court troubles are a thing of the past. PF is his natural spot IMO. Looked a bit lost on D at times when playing center.

Musa looked solid driving to the rim and getting fouled or finishing. Still no confidence on his J though.

Lance Thomas looked heavy and slow AF. Not sure why we didn't sign a true C instead of him. No way he'll play over Rodi/TLC/Anderson.

The Martin kid looked very average to me. Yeah he looked aggressive on D but nothing special.

Chiozza looked solid but also looked over his head. We were asking too much of him to be a top contributor. Not ready for that yet.

Caris as expected looked like crap except for a few flashes. We are going to need him to shake off the rust real quick.

Fro looked the exact same as last seen for better or worse.

TLC was trash all night long both ways. Couldn't hit any shots and did not look good on D playing PF position.

Temple had a solid game. Hit the shots and played some good D. We will need his steadiness in this bubble.

Like I said earlier, hard to take much from this scrimmage.

These guys haven't played real basketball since March plus we are undermaned so this was expected.

I hope Crawford, Joe, TJ and Hall can suit up for next game becasue we NEED bodies.

Return to Brooklyn Nets