Image ImageImage Image

OT: COVID-19 thread #3

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Re: OT: COVID-19 thread #3 

Post#401 » by PlayerUp » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:35 am

dice wrote:meanwhile, trump buddy rodrigo duterte of the philippines will begin to have people arrested for not wearing masks

Being someone who is doing projects in Asia and SE Asia right now, wherever you're getting the news from this quote above is completely inaccurate.

1. Buddy? Not sure where you got this idea they're buddies. They aren't. PH in general is close allies to the US but it's not because of Trump.

2. Duterte is aggressive at combating this virus implementing home lockdowns, community quarantines, curfews. What you hear from the media is of course overblown and I'm sure one sided. He makes these comments to the public so that they adjust but never has enforced any of this.

3. The spike in cases is solely due to people not adjusting here. Like the US, they do not care. Most of the Philippines is poor and they're more worried about how to feed themselves and their families versus wearing masks and avoiding crowds.

4. The majority of filippinos actually approve of Duterte and not just by alot, he has an over 80% approval rating.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,519

Post#402 » by dice » Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:33 am

PlayerUp wrote:
dice wrote:meanwhile, trump buddy rodrigo duterte of the philippines will begin to have people arrested for not wearing masks

Being someone who is doing projects in Asia and SE Asia right now, wherever you're getting the news from this quote above is completely inaccurate.

1. Buddy? Not sure where you got this idea they're buddies. They aren't. PH in general is close allies to the US but it's not because of Trump.

i was being somewhat facetious. the reality is that trump continuously expresses admiration for authoritarian leaders around the world. from dutarte to putin to kim to bolsonaro to xi to erdogan. he says he has a "great relationship" w/ dutarte, has told him that he is a good man and that he deserves to be re-elected. this despite dutarte allegedly killing over 20,000 people in a crackdown on drugs, which trump also approves of

2. Duterte is aggressive at combating this virus implementing home lockdowns, community quarantines, curfews. What you hear from the media is of course overblown and I'm sure one sided. He makes these comments to the public so that they adjust but never has enforced any of this.

whether he follows through with his threat or not is, of course, TBD. but he did just say that he will ask the police to be more strict and that the government will have "no qualms in arresting people"

3. The spike in cases is solely due to people not adjusting here. Like the US, they do not care. Most of the Philippines is poor and they're more worried about how to feed themselves and their families versus wearing masks and avoiding crowds.

4. The majority of filippinos actually approve of Duterte and not just by alot, he has an over 80% approval rating.

neither point has anything to do with what i said
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
PlayerUp
Analyst

Post#403 » by PlayerUp » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:02 am

dice wrote:i was being somewhat facetious. the reality is that trump continuously expresses admiration for authoritarian leaders around the world. from dutarte to putin to kim to bolsonaro to xi to erdogan. he says he has a "great relationship" w/ dutarte, has told him that he is a good man and that he deserves to be re-elected. this despite dutarte allegedly killing over 20,000 people in a crackdown on drugs, which trump also approves of

Trump says he has a great relationship with every countries leaders. We all know that's not the case. In fact the majority of them it's probably the complete opposite.

whether he follows through with his threat or not is, of course, TBD. but he did just say that he will ask the police to be more strict and that the government will have "no qualms in arresting people"

Duterte also authorized the police to arrest people who broke quarantine rules a couple months ago. However what ended up happening instead was the vast majority who did violate the quarantine were put in a "timeout". Specifically what I was told: "No, people got caught during curfew the police just put them in one place for a few hours as punishment. Other officers are making them watch videos on how to be a responsible citizen and then they released them."
moorhosj
Junior
And1: 350

Post#404 » by moorhosj » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:08 pm

PlayerUp wrote:1. Buddy? Not sure where you got this idea they're buddies. They aren't. PH in general is close allies to the US but it's not because of Trump.

1. “During his speech in Israel on Sunday, Duterte, 73, said the U.S.-Philippine relationship had blossomed under his "good friend" Trump's presidency, before apologizing to Obama for insulting him a few years ago, reported Agence France-Presse.” https://www.newsweek.com/president-duterte-says-trump-good-friend-apologizes-calling-obama-son-whore-1101896

4. Putin’s approval rating was 81% in 2018. We know that authoritarian governments can manipulate those numbers. https://www.statista.com/statistics/896181/putin-approval-rating-russia/
PlayerUp
Analyst

Post#405 » by PlayerUp » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:34 pm

moorhosj wrote:1. “During his speech in Israel on Sunday, Duterte, 73, said the U.S.-Philippine relationship had blossomed under his "good friend" Trump's presidency, before apologizing to Obama for insulting him a few years ago, reported Agence France-Presse.” https://www.newsweek.com/president-duterte-says-trump-good-friend-apologizes-calling-obama-son-whore-1101896

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/opinion/article/3046586/donald-trump-really-xi-jinpings-friend-phase-one-us-china-trade

Here is one with Trump being good friends Xi Jinping as well. We all know this isn't the case. You can quote whatever source you want but being I am around SEA news. Trump-Duterte have no real relationship and aren't close in anyway. The bulk of people here respect Duterte even ones who didn't vote for him.
moorhosj
Junior
And1: 350

Post#406 » by moorhosj » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:54 pm

PlayerUp wrote:https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/opinion/article/3046586/donald-trump-really-xi-jinpings-friend-phase-one-us-china-trade

Here is one with Trump being good friends Xi Jinping as well. We all know this isn't the case. You can quote whatever source you want but being I am around SEA news. Trump-Duterte have no real relationship and aren't close in anyway. The bulk of people here respect Duterte even ones who didn't vote for him.

You asked where someone could get the idea they are buddies. I presented Duarte giving a public speech calling him a "good friend" as a reasonable place to get that idea. No need to dig any deeper.
dice
RealGM

Post#407 » by dice » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:39 am

PlayerUp wrote:
moorhosj wrote:1. “During his speech in Israel on Sunday, Duterte, 73, said the U.S.-Philippine relationship had blossomed under his "good friend" Trump's presidency, before apologizing to Obama for insulting him a few years ago, reported Agence France-Presse.” https://www.newsweek.com/president-duterte-says-trump-good-friend-apologizes-calling-obama-son-whore-1101896

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/opinion/article/3046586/donald-trump-really-xi-jinpings-friend-phase-one-us-china-trade

Here is one with Trump being good friends Xi Jinping as well. We all know this isn't the case. You can quote whatever source you want but being I am around SEA news. Trump-Duterte have no real relationship and aren't close in anyway.

from leaked transcript of confidential phone call between trump and duterte:

trump - "you can tell [xi] i am counting on him [regarding keeping n. korea in check]. i have a very good relationship with him. i had him in florida for two days and got to know him well. he is a good guy"

duterte - "i will try to make a call tomorrow to china"

trump - "please call and tell them we are all counting on china. tell the president - we became friends for two days - he was great.... on another subject, i am coming to see you i guess sometime"

duterte - "november hopefully, we will be happy to see you"

trump - "thank you mr. president. you are a good man. yes, certainly in november welcome and thank you and we will be happy to see you, rodrigo. i look forward to seeing you. if you want to come to the oval office, i will love to have you in oval office. anytime you want to come. i will be in the philippines in november, but anytime you are in DC or anywhere, come see me in the oval office. work it out with your staff. seriously, if you want to come over, just let us know. just take care of yourself, and we will take care of n. korea. keep up good work, you are doing an amazing job. say hello to people of the philippines for me"

duterte - "it is the last day of the ASEAN summit and everyone was asking. sultan bolkiah just left but i will tell remaining guys here what you told me. we are all for peace, there's no secret about that"

trump - "good, you take care of yourself, come see me before november, you are invited anytime"

duterte - "i will do that mr. president. thank you for the concern. god bless you mr. president"

trump - "take care of yourself, rodrigo, god bless you"

talk about thirsty

both parties criticized trump for inviting duterte for a white house meeting, by the way. at the ASEAN summit, duterte sang a love song for trump, who subsequently referred to him as frank sinatra

Read on Twitter

"you're just like trump" - sec of state pompeo, to duterte
"[trump] speaks my language" - duterte - both are known to be crass and sexist

duterte is known as "filipino trump"

The bulk of people here respect Duterte even ones who didn't vote for him.

that's really not relevant to anything. same was true of hitler in germany prior to WWII
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,064

Post#408 » by MrSparkle » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:17 am

Trump seems very comfortable around the populist dictators of the world, and very uncomfortable around hyper-intelligent world leaders like Merkel and even Boris (who is pompous, but intelligent).

This guy would rather have a BBQ with Hitler, Stalin and Mussolini than Al Gore, Jimmy Carter and Obama. Is there anybody who'd dispute this? Roosevelt is rolling in his grave.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,857

Post#409 » by Dresden » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:32 am

dice wrote:
PlayerUp wrote:

Here is one with Trump being good friends Xi Jinping as well. We all know this isn't the case. You can quote whatever source you want but being I am around SEA news. Trump-Duterte have no real relationship and aren't close in anyway.

trump - "you can tell [xi] i am counting on him [regarding keeping n. korea in check]. i have a very good relationship with him. i had him in florida for two days and got to know him well. he is a good guy"

trump - "please call and tell them we are all counting on china. tell the president - we became friends for two days - he was great.... on another subject, i am coming to see you i guess sometime"

trump - "thank you mr. president. you are a good man. yes, certainly in november welcome and thank you and we will be happy to see you, rodrigo. i look forward to seeing you. if you want to come to the oval office, i will love to have you in oval office. anytime you want to come. i will be in the philippines in november, but anytime you are in DC or anywhere, come see me in the oval office. work it out with your staff. seriously, if you want to come over, just let us know. just take care of yourself, and we will take care of n. korea. keep up good work, you are doing an amazing job. say hello to people of the philippines for me"

duterte - "it is the last day of the ASEAN summit and everyone was asking. sultan bolkiah just left but i will tell remaining guys here what you told me. we are all for peace, there's no secret about that"

trump - "good, you take care of yourself, come see me before november, you are invited anytime"

duterte - "i will do that mr. president. thank you for the concern. god bless you mr. president"

talk about thirsty

both parties criticized trump for inviting duterte for a white house meeting, by the way. at the ASEAN summit, duterte sang a love song for trump, who subsequently referred to him as frank sinatra

Read on Twitter

that's really not relevant to anything. same was true of hitler in germany prior to WWII

I would tend to trust Player Up's reading of the situation, given that he apparently has spent considerable amount of time in that part of the world, and is reading current news from PH on a regular basis.
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,857

Post#410 » by Dresden » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:38 am

MrSparkle wrote:Trump seems very comfortable around the populist dictators of the world, and very uncomfortable around hyper-intelligent world leaders like Merkel and even Boris (who is pompous, but intelligent).

This guy would rather have a BBQ with Hitler, Stalin and Mussolini than Al Gore, Jimmy Carter and Obama. Is there anybody who'd dispute this? Roosevelt is rolling in his grave.

Without a doubt, Trump is more comfortable around people who don't question his tactics or proclivities, or challenge his (warped) view of the world. His favorite place to be is at one of his rallies, where he knows that crowd will laugh at all his distasteful jokes, and cheer him on when he spouts his opinions, no matter how incorrect they may be. He needs constant approval, and he craves feeling like he is adored and admired. Anyone who isn't either a fascist themselves, or is just pretty guillible to his line of bull, threatens him, which is why he isn't very close to any Western European leaders. I'm sure he'd find someone like Marine LePen to his liking though.
PlayerUp
Analyst

Post#411 » by PlayerUp » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:58 am

dice wrote:
PlayerUp wrote:

talk about thirsty

Read on Twitter

How long did it take you to gather up all this data? 10-30 minutes?

Filippinos love to sing. They're happy people in general even those living in extreme poverty. I'm sure you can find some small examples here and there of him being extra nice to Trump but these 2 aren't buddy buddies as you 1st referenced. As for him attacking Obama, he did openly apologize for that later on.

With all that said, Philippines is in a situation similar to what's going on in Hong Kong. China is aggressively meddling with the Philippines and they need the United States as an ally to protect them from China.
dice
RealGM

Post#412 » by dice » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:02 am

Dresden wrote:
dice wrote:
PlayerUp wrote:

talk about thirsty

Read on Twitter

I would tend to trust Player Up's reading of the situation, given that he apparently has spent considerable amount of time in that part of the world, and is reading current news from PH on a regular basis.

unless he's privy to private conversations involving dutarte, he has no more knowledge than the average citizen there about the relationship between dutarte and trump. and indeed probably less. do you trust the reading of the average american citizen on matters involving the american government? i sure as hell don't. and our government is far more transparent than that of the philippines. public sentiment is hardly a respectable arbiter of truth

i don't trust the reading on ANYTHING from someone who believes outlandish conspiracy theories like pizzagate
PlayerUp
Analyst

Post#413 » by PlayerUp » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:06 am

Dresden wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:Trump seems very comfortable around the populist dictators of the world, and very uncomfortable around hyper-intelligent world leaders like Merkel and even Boris (who is pompous, but intelligent).

Without a doubt, Trump is more comfortable around people who don't question his tactics or proclivities, or challenge his (warped) view of the world. His favorite place to be is at one of his rallies, where he knows that crowd will laugh at all his distasteful jokes, and cheer him on when he spouts his opinions, no matter how incorrect they may be. He needs constant approval, and he craves feeling like he is adored and admired. Anyone who isn't either a fascist themselves, or is just pretty guillible to his line of bull, threatens him, which is why he isn't very close to any Western European leaders. I'm sure he'd find someone like Marine LePen to his liking though.

Nobody is disputing this.

Trump hates being called out. A perfect example is Fox News Chris Wallace interview with him a couple days ago.
dice
RealGM

Post#414 » by dice » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:27 am

PlayerUp wrote:
dice wrote:
PlayerUp wrote:

talk about thirsty

Read on Twitter

How long did it take you to gather up all this data? 10-30 minutes?

not long at all. that's how easy it is to make my point

Filippinos love to sing. They're happy people in general even those living in extreme poverty.

duterte said that trump asked him to sing for him. something tells me that donald trump is not a connoisseur of filipino culture

I'm sure you can find some small examples here and there of him being extra nice to Trump but these 2 aren't buddy buddies as you 1st referenced.

i already told you that i was being somewhat facetious. obviously two people who have had limited contact can't actually be good buddies. it seems to be more of a weird aspiration on trump's end. duterte has yet to take him up on a visit to DC

As for him attacking Obama, he did openly apologize for that later on.

i made no reference to obama

With all that said, Philippines is in a situation similar to what's going on in Hong Kong. China is aggressively meddling with the Philippines and they need the United States as an ally to protect them from China.

again, not relevant to anything i said. but there's certainly little in the way of an anti-china dynamic in trump's relationship w/ dutarte. if anything, dutarte has shown more consideration for his relationship w/ china than for his relationship with america

"president xi, for all of his goodness to us, wrote me a letter and said that he is willing to help. all we have to do is ask" - duterte in march on china's willingness to help w/ COVID-19 medical equipment and personnel. since then china has indeed provided substantial support

"i will be dependent on you for a long time" - duterte to his chinese hosts in bejing in 2016, signaling his desire to shift allegiance from the US to china

"i don't really mind if they would like to do that. it will save a lot of money" - trump

so if china is "aggressively meddling," dutarte sure doesn't seem to mind. indeed, he seems to welcome it
PlayerUp
Analyst

Post#415 » by PlayerUp » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:29 am

dice wrote:unless he's privy to private conversations involving dutarte, he has no more knowledge than the average citizen there about the relationship between dutarte and trump. and indeed probably less. do you trust the reading of the average american citizen on matters involving the american government? i sure as hell don't. and our government is far more transparent than that of the philippines. public sentiment is hardly a respectable arbiter of truth

You believe what you want then. I don't even really care about this topic but I figured I would share my knowledge on this situation. For some reason you're getting aggressive again when someone offers a different opinion on the situation.

dice wrote:i don't trust the reading on ANYTHING from someone who believes outlandish conspiracy theories like pizzagate

Who believes this?
dice
RealGM

Post#416 » by dice » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:49 am

PlayerUp wrote:
dice wrote:i don't trust the reading on ANYTHING from someone who believes outlandish conspiracy theories like pizzagate

Who believes this?

you do. unless you "accidentally" gave an 'and-1' to the following comment:

"Wtf, conspiracy theory??? If you dont believe pizzagate is real, you are clueless as you can be. Jeez! Cant believe you said that. You cant be so blindsided sheep, cant you?"
dice
RealGM

Post#417 » by dice » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:57 am

trump admin announces $2 billion contract w/ pfizer to make 100 million doses of a COVID-19 vaccine that has not yet been approved. seems like a good gamble if there's reason to believe at this stage that it will end up being effective

meanwhile, nationwide hospitalizations nearing record highs of months ago, but while deaths are up-ticking they are still relatively low
PlayerUp
Analyst

Post#418 » by PlayerUp » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:27 am

dice wrote:you do. unless you "accidentally" gave an 'and-1' to the following comment:

"Wtf, conspiracy theory??? If you dont believe pizzagate is real, you are clueless as you can be. Jeez! Cant believe you said that. You cant be so blindsided sheep, cant you?"

I never said this.
dice
RealGM

Post#419 » by dice » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:30 am

PlayerUp wrote:
dice wrote:you do. unless you "accidentally" gave an 'and-1' to the following comment:

I never said this.

never said you did. you 'and-1'd it
PlayerUp
Analyst

Post#420 » by PlayerUp » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:40 am

dice wrote:
PlayerUp wrote:

I never said this.

never said you did. you 'and-1'd it

Right so this was debunked sometime ago. Also my stance on any form of conspiracy theory is that 99.8%+ of them are later debunked or never proven to actually be legitimate so I'm a believer that all of them are BS until proven otherwise. Most of them are people wanting to stir up drama, get attention for themselves or sway people to side with their views. That includes china manufacturing this virus which sounds believable but until proven otherwise is nothing more than a conspiracy theory.

Return to Chicago Bulls