Image ImageImage Image

Gafford not a big fan of Jim Boylen

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Evil_Headband
Starter
And1: 896

Re: Gafford not a big fan of Jim Boylen 

Post#21 » by Evil_Headband » Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:50 pm

I'm sure Gafford regrets saying it now. Hopefully it will be a learning experience for a young player.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,450

Post#22 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:11 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:Not a fan of a rookie scrub making any negative comments towards a head coach, even if true. I am rooting for a change, but shut up Gafford. You can’t make any comments like that, what are you thinking.

He didnt say anything bad, He said hes alright. And he clearly said he wont talk badly about the man.

What am I missing?

“I don't like him a lot, but he OK. Got some things he can work on, got some things he can get better at as a person and as a coach“

This doesn’t come off as somewhat disrespectful to you? Things he can work on as a person and as a coach. Not a good look, and especially from a first year player IMO.

Again, even if true, you shouldn’t be saying stuff like that publicly. And I absolutely lament Boylen, but this isn’t something you do
JimmyJammer
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,798

Post#23 » by JimmyJammer » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:54 pm

One thing has become obvious to me, if the cause of Gafford dissatisfaction with Boylen is for a lack of playing time, we are going to have a big problem in our hands next season. With a healthy Carter, the minutes will be far and few for Gafford, unless he goes in there and blows the roof off completely with his play. In such case, we would be in a great position, because that would mean we have found our center of the future.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,572

Post#24 » by Dez » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:59 pm

ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:
DASMACKDOWN wrote:
ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:Not a fan of a rookie scrub making any negative comments towards a head coach, even if true. I am rooting for a change, but shut up Gafford. You can’t make any comments like that, what are you thinking.

He didnt say anything bad, He said hes alright. And he clearly said he wont talk badly about the man.

What am I missing?

“I don't like him a lot, but he OK. Got some things he can work on, got some things he can get better at as a person and as a coach“

This doesn’t come off as somewhat disrespectful to you? Things he can work on as a person and as a coach. Not a good look, and especially from a first year player IMO.

Again, even if true, you shouldn’t be saying stuff like that publicly. And I absolutely lament Boylen, but this isn’t something you do

It's not disrespectful at all, that's constructive criticism.
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#25 » by MrFortune3 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:51 am

ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:
DASMACKDOWN wrote:

What am I missing?

What he said amounts to “He’s not on my Christmas list”
So not disrespectful nor a big deal.
Rose2Boozer
Starter
And1: 643

Post#26 » by Rose2Boozer » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:26 am

The Great Bol Bol

ROLES & HOLES
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#27 » by CjayC » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:44 am

If I was Gafford I'd find it hard not to be peeved by Boylen after the Timeout incident. With that in mind, this is pretty tame "criticism" all things considered. He didn't give him a glowing recommendation, hey tis life.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,450

Post#28 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:58 am

MrFortune3 wrote:
ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:
DASMACKDOWN wrote:

What am I missing?

What he said amounts to “He’s not on my Christmas list”
So not disrespectful nor a big deal.

I guess I'm in the minority, but just find it rude, for lack of a better word - to say that he has some things to work on as a person. Just weird/odd to me from a rookie, nonetheless.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,312

Post#29 » by TheGOATRises007 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:04 am

These type of comments should never be public.

A lot of immaturity from Gafford. Just ignore the question.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,312

Post#30 » by TheGOATRises007 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:05 am

Dez wrote:
ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:
DASMACKDOWN wrote:

What am I missing?

Gafford has no right to 'constructively criticize' a coach on a Twitch stream.

If you have problems with the coach, talk to him in private.

Don't air it out like a child.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,203

Post#31 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:14 am

I think it’s fantastic. For anyone paying attention during the season, Boylen’s calling card was to continuously throw his players under the bus to the media.

Based on the precedent he’s set for his team, he better be okay with this form of communication.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
Dresden
RealGM
And1: 5,813

Post#32 » by Dresden » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:16 am

JimmyJammer wrote:One thing has become obvious to me, if the cause of Gafford dissatisfaction with Boylen is for a lack of playing time, we are going to have a big problem in our hands next season. With a healthy Carter, the minutes will be far and few for Gafford, unless he goes in there and blows the roof off completely with his play. In such case, we would be in a great position, because that would mean we have found our center of the future.

And what do you think the odds are of Carter staying healthy all year??

Gafford offers a much different skill set than Carter, and I could see him getting a decent amount of floor time if he improves his game. He's a lot more dynamic and athletic than Carter, and supplies more energy.
ImSlower
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,414

Post#33 » by ImSlower » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:37 am

Man, that kid just has to know that if he is streaming, every single thing out of his mouth will be recorded and taken out of context if need be. I'm an old-ass gamer convert to watching the pros on Twitch, and all of them have to measure their comments, no matter what. He was streaming, so he has to know that everything he says is going to get clipped and quoted.

I think we all pretty much agree with Gafford that Boylen just kind of sucks. He should not have responded to any chat requests about his opinions on his coach or anything else. Gaining a bad rep could cost him literally millions of dollars. I loved hearing it and I wish it got Boylen fired faster, but damn, son! You stupid! PepeHands!
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#34 » by 2018C3 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:43 am

Dez wrote:
2018C3 wrote:I really can't blame him, but those comments are sad to hear.

I like Gaffords potential more than Boylens. It's never a good idea to be that honest about a coach, I just hope he sticks around long enough to outlast the coach.

If I were to bet, I now think he might be traded and as a fan that sucks.

They aren't going to trade him because of that, that's ridiculous.

People are making way too much out of this, the comments weren't even bad.

The first thing a new manager often does It is identify and eliminate people who do not buy into the system.

Right now we do not know where the organization stands with Boylen. I believe Ak would like to cut ties and pick his own guy but has been pressured into giving a extended review. That's just a opinion, and not a single one of knows for sure.

If for some reason AK really believes Boylen is the right guy to lead this team going forward, he will look to remove guys who are not on board.

I hope this is not the case, but right now know one knows.

I'm a Gafford fan, and hope these comments don't come back to haunt him.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,572

Post#35 » by Dez » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:56 am

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
Dez wrote:
ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:

Why doesn't he have a right to offer constructive criticism?

He barely said anything let alone enough to say "air it out like a child".
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,762

Post#36 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:14 am

No one likes him so who cares? He made much worse statements about his players.
TheFinishSniper
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,244

Post#37 » by TheFinishSniper » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:12 pm

They say if you dont have anything nice to say about someone you keep your mouth shut. Technically Gafford did that until he was asked question. In polite manner Gafford responded. Did he lie. Not. Could have he give PR answer? Sure.

This fanbase generally hate and dislike a lot of guys who answer honest in their interviews. Rose was here biggest "offender".

People you constantly forget this franchise SUCK A****. From top to bottom and it starts from top. This franchise at this moment has bigger problems than what some player said about one of worst coaches who ever coached basketball. And possibly about one of most worst coaches who actually coached in any sport regardless.

Move on.
MikeDC
Analyst
And1: 1,917

Post#38 » by MikeDC » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:01 pm

Dez wrote:
Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
Dez wrote:

Why doesn't he have a right to offer constructive criticism?

He barely said anything let alone enough to say "air it out like a child".

Directly saying "I don't like him a lot" and that he he's got things to work on "as a person" is definitely stepping across some lines that shouldn't be stepped over.

Gafford shouldn't have done it, but Gafford is basically a kid who is liked and we want to keep around and who made a mistake. Also, what he said was impolite, but true.

So he gets a pass.

Boylen, on the other hand, can **** right off. He's done and said worse to a variety of players and specifically Gafford.
Jcool0
RealGM
And1: 7,755

Post#39 » by Jcool0 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:41 pm

So when Boylen calls out the players its okay. Because what? Coaches have always done that? But when a player says something he needs to keep it behind closed doors?
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#40 » by ATRAIN53 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:10 pm

Join the club. expect some extra wind sprints because he's not going anywhere anytime soon, this is your coach.

So NBA players are just hanging out on this Twitch thing now and dishing stuff?

How do we get on those streams and conversations?
I've heard of twitch but thought it was a video game thing.

Is Gafford playing games on there and yakking and people recording and taking notes.

Return to Chicago Bulls