Image ImageImage Image

Around The NBA: 2019-20 RESTART

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,744

Re: Around The NBA: 2019-20 RESTART 

Post#1861 » by dougthonus » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:05 am

Aron Baynes has revealed he tested positive for COVID-19.

Baynes was symptomatic and slept for four days straight at one point.

Baynes said he hasn't touched a basketball for over 30 days.

Baynes is not contagious but he is still testing positive for COVID-19.

Thought this was interesting only in that Baynes is the first athlete that I've heard of that is heavily symptomatic.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Darius Miles Davis
Veteran
And1: 452

Post#1862 » by Darius Miles Davis » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:52 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:Im still struggling to watch. There have been alot of great plays but there are no reactions. I really really miss that part of the game.

I'm not sure which games you had watched, but I thought Lakers/Mavs had better a crowd noise mix, and whether they mixed in reactions or just captured the people live, I thought it felt more realistic than yesterday.
"Uh...we've always like ET. ET has big hands. His mother has big hands."
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#1863 » by Leslie Forman » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:36 am

dougthonus wrote:
Aron Baynes has revealed he tested positive for COVID-19.

Baynes was symptomatic and slept for four days straight at one point.

Baynes said he hasn't touched a basketball for over 30 days.

Baynes is not contagious but he is still testing positive for COVID-19.

Thought this was interesting only in that Baynes is the first athlete that I've heard of that is heavily symptomatic.

Not basketball, but Freddie Freeman apparently had it pretty bad.

I would bet there are some others we just never heard about.
Rose2Boozer
Starter
And1: 647

Post#1864 » by Rose2Boozer » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:15 am

Not sure if anyone else posted this. Mo Bamba on that pre-workout.

ROLES & HOLES
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,075

Post#1865 » by MrSparkle » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:29 am

Rose2Boozer wrote:Not sure if anyone else posted this. Mo Bamba on that pre-workout.

Holy cow! He looks like a different person.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#1866 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:06 am

I imagine role players will play better without the pressure of playing in front of big crowds and experiencing playoff atmosphere.

Maybe depth/stronger bench will be a bigger factor in these playoffs than in years past.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
MrFortune3
General Manager
And1: 3,260

Post#1867 » by MrFortune3 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:30 am

dougthonus wrote:Nate Robinson vs Jake Paul to be undercard in Tyson vs Jones

Just thought this was random:
On Thursday afternoon, The Athletic reported that former NBA player Nate Robinson and YouTube star Jake Paul had agreed to fight on the undercard of Tyson-Jones.

For Robinson, a 3-time NBA slam dunk champion, this will be his first boxing match. Paul has fought twice, most recently notching a first-round technical knockout of fellow YouTube personality AnEsonGib (known as Gib) back in January.

Whoa. That is random as hell.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1868 » by dougthonus » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:04 pm

Leslie Forman wrote:Not basketball, but Freddie Freeman apparently had it pretty bad.

I would bet there are some others we just never heard about.

Wouldn't surprise me if there are others, just hadn't heard of it. Intuitively makes sense that professional athletes generally aren't going to get bad cases as they would generally have excellent respiratory systems compared to normal people. The only athletes that have died of it (Based on wikipedia list) were a sumo wrestler or guys who were long since retired and 50+ (mostly 80+).
@doug_thonus on twitter
wonderboy2
Analyst
And1: 1,949

Post#1869 » by wonderboy2 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:07 pm

MrFortune3 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:Nate Robinson vs Jake Paul to be undercard in Tyson vs Jones

Just thought this was random:
On Thursday afternoon, The Athletic reported that former NBA player Nate Robinson and YouTube star Jake Paul had agreed to fight on the undercard of Tyson-Jones.

For Robinson, a 3-time NBA slam dunk champion, this will be his first boxing match. Paul has fought twice, most recently notching a first-round technical knockout of fellow YouTube personality AnEsonGib (known as Gib) back in January.

Whoa. That is random as hell.

Nate Robinson needs to stop before he embarrass himself. He’s going to get knocked out. He’s like 5’8 and Jake Paul is 6’1 extreme height advantage.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1870 » by dougthonus » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:09 pm

wonderboy2 wrote:Nate Robinson needs to stop before he embarrass himself. He’s going to get knocked out. He’s like 5’8 and Jake Paul is 6’1 extreme height advantage.

Don't know much about Paul, he looks like he's in very good shape in the photo they have up, but Robinson looks like he would have an absolutely massive strength advantage. Robinson is absolutely jacked. Granted, in a boxing match, I'd imagine that skill in boxing would be pretty overwhelming at this level where neither guy is likely all that technical compared to real boxers.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Ben Wilson25
Rookie
And1: 529

Post#1871 » by Ben Wilson25 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:16 pm

dougthonus wrote:
wonderboy2 wrote:Nate Robinson needs to stop before he embarrass himself. He’s going to get knocked out. He’s like 5’8 and Jake Paul is 6’1 extreme height advantage.

Don't know much about Paul, he looks like he's in very good shape in the photo they have up, but Robinson looks like he would have an absolutely massive strength advantage. Robinson is absolutely jacked. Granted, in a boxing match, I'd imagine that skill in boxing would be pretty overwhelming at this level where neither guy is likely all that technical compared to real boxers.

Not to mention Nate is a world class athlete. Gimme Nate all day every day.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1872 » by dougthonus » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:19 pm

Ben Wilson25 wrote:Not to mention Nate is a world class athlete. Gimme Nate all day every day.

I think off the cuff that I would agree, but I know nothing about Paul, whom also looks really ripped and has a huge reach advantage.
@doug_thonus on twitter
wonderboy2
Analyst

Post#1873 » by wonderboy2 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:22 pm

dougthonus wrote:

Should be interesting. Don’t think Robinson can overcome the height advantage. Robinson I heard is closer to 5’8 5’7 then 5’9. And Jake Paul is 6’1. That’s a huge height advantage. No doubt Jake Paul has the longer reach. Don’t know why Nate Robinson would agree to that fight.
wonderboy2
Analyst

Post#1874 » by wonderboy2 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:24 pm

Ben Wilson25 wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

Not to mention Nate is a world class athlete. Gimme Nate all day every day.

Jake Paul looks to have to much height. 6’1 vs 5’8 seems like a mismatch.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1875 » by dougthonus » Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:50 pm

wonderboy2 wrote:Should be interesting. Don’t think Robinson can overcome the height advantage. Robinson I heard is closer to 5’8 5’7 then 5’9. And Jake Paul is 6’1. That’s a huge height advantage. No doubt Jake Paul has the longer reach. Don’t know why Nate Robinson would agree to that fight.

I don't really know anything about boxing or either of these two guys boxing skills. Maybe Robinson just needs a little money or maybe he's always loved boxing or maybe he's just bored and wants some publicity. I mean there's no harm in taking the fight either for him. What's he going to do, hurt his boxing legacy?

I agree the height advantage means something, but only if you have the technical skill to make it mean something. Not sure if that's really true with Paul or not, but Paul has at least done a couple of these celebrity fights, so he's probably been doing training for a few years on boxing. Unless Robinson has just loved boxing as a spare time gig, quite possible, then he's probably not going to be at the same technical level as Paul.
@doug_thonus on twitter
wonderboy2
Analyst

Post#1876 » by wonderboy2 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:29 pm

dougthonus wrote:
wonderboy2 wrote:Should be interesting. Don’t think Robinson can overcome the height advantage. Robinson I heard is closer to 5’8 5’7 then 5’9. And Jake Paul is 6’1. That’s a huge height advantage. No doubt Jake Paul has the longer reach. Don’t know why Nate Robinson would agree to that fight.

I don't really know anything about boxing or either of these two guys boxing skills. Maybe Robinson just needs a little money or maybe he's always loved boxing or maybe he's just bored and wants some publicity. I mean there's no harm in taking the fight either for him. What's he going to do, hurt his boxing legacy?

I agree the height advantage means something, but only if you have the technical skill to make it mean something. Not sure if that's really true with Paul or not, but Paul has at least done a couple of these celebrity fights, so he's probably been doing training for a few years on boxing. Unless Robinson has just loved boxing as a spare time gig, quite possible, then he's probably not going to be at the same technical level as Paul.

I’ve seen Nate Robinson training. He has to much muscle mass and his punches are to slow. Going to get Ko’ed very quickly.
Ben Wilson25
Rookie
And1: 529

Post#1877 » by Ben Wilson25 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:29 pm

dougthonus wrote:

That’s where I’m at. I’m sure Jake Paul has been doing boxing training for awhile but he’s nowhere near a technical expert. Nate is going to prep for the fight and while he won’t have the reps Paul does he’s light years ahead as far as speed, reflexes, strength and explosiveness. I completely agree that the height and reach advantage is a huge deal when two pro fighters go at it but in this case I think sheer athleticism wins out. Once Nate gets inside it’s over. Jake Paul better have a killer jab.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#1878 » by dougthonus » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:53 pm

wonderboy2 wrote:I’ve seen Nate Robinson training. He has to much muscle mass and his punches are to slow. Going to get Ko’ed very quickly.

Robinson's literally probably 2-3x as strong as Paul. Robinson was known as one of the strongest players in the NBA and a quick google rumor has it that he used to bench 500lbs. I doubt Paul could even hurt Robinson with body punches and would need to hit him with clean shots to the face to do any damage at all. Any even exchange of blows and Paul is toast, if Paul gets caught on the ropes, he's toast. The only way he wins is if Robinson just never gets a clean punch in. I don't have any reason to think Paul's that technically strong a boxer.
@doug_thonus on twitter
wonderboy2
Analyst

Post#1879 » by wonderboy2 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:56 pm

dougthonus wrote:
wonderboy2 wrote:I’ve seen Nate Robinson training. He has to much muscle mass and his punches are to slow. Going to get Ko’ed very quickly.

Robinson's literally probably 2-3x as strong as Paul. Robinson was known as one of the strongest players in the NBA and a quick google rumor has it that he used to bench 500lbs. I doubt Paul could even hurt Robinson with body punches and would need to hit him with clean shots to the face to do any damage at all. Any even exchange of blows and Paul is toast, if Paul gets caught on the ropes, he's toast. The only way he wins is if Robinson just never gets a clean punch in. I don't have any reason to think Paul's that technically strong a boxer.

I don’t think Nate Robinson is benching 500lbs. That’s nearly impossible espeacially for someone 5’7 180lbs. Also do you remember the Nate Robinson-Cj Watson fight? CJ is probably around 6’1 and was way taller than Nate. Boozer and Noah had to run over and break it up because that could’ve been very dangerous for Robinson giving CJ Watson height advantage.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,357

Post#1880 » by DASMACKDOWN » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:50 pm

Rose2Boozer wrote:Not sure if anyone else posted this. Mo Bamba on that pre-workout.

I always thought Mo was drafted to be the replacement for Vuce. But Vuce signed a 4/100 contract going into the season and is coming of his 2 best seasons. They still might move Vuce in favor of Mo if the Magic dont go anywhere. But they may not even entertain that road for 2 more seasons.
The Cult of Personality

Return to Chicago Bulls