ImageImageImageImage

NBA Disney Bubble Restart Scrimmage 1: LA Clippers v. Orlando Magic

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Bakomagic
Bench Warmer
And1: 894

Re: NBA Disney Bubble Restart Scrimmage 1: LA Clippers v. Orlando Magic 

Post#101 » by Bakomagic » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:50 pm

zaymon wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
True.. but at the same time ... execpt for that dunk of his, I don't think he even jumped or tried to.

LOL i mean i think i prefer the skinny atheltic mobile.bamba over the huge strong but slow and unatheltic looking one.

Then again it is the first *game* and he only.played 6mins, so.who.knows.

Bamba was never athletic, there is mountain of evidence that proves it. Right before draft the Stepien relised huge article how drafting Bamba is betting on athletic improvment. Article went in great depths with video support explaining how he never had to do anything rather than just use long hands to get what he wants and how things like that, even at college, against talented bigs simply don't work.
He simply always lacked explosion and quickness, and all things he did, at college, were because of 7'9 wingspan and crappy competition ( vast majority of college teams did not have players taller than 6'10 , let alone 7 footers with any talent ).

Now guy added s** loud of weight year after stress fracture, on it's own it's already reason to be worried about. On top of that his conditioning was from day one in NBA -crap. Now, with added mass, with more muscles, his body uses even more oxygen to move, so you have situation where guy after 3 min of basketball is out of breath...

Everything about Bamba, since a day team drafted him to this date is a mess. Hopefully, after this season is over, Magic will actually hire some expert or send him to P3 or some other athletic performance center where people know what they are doing.

Actually we have P3s former director of performance in Luke Storey on our staff. Look at Isaac, Vucevic, MCW body transformation, i think we know what we are doing.

Yikes ! That backfired.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,372

Post#102 » by PrimeThyme » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:09 pm

I'm just incredibly tired of making excuses for why Bamba can't play more than 15 mpg after two seasons. I just want to see if the kid can actually play or not.
Bakomagic
Bench Warmer
And1: 894

Post#103 » by Bakomagic » Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:19 pm

We are overreacting, which is par for the course here. I don't think Bamba looked as bad as some on here. As soon as some people heard Bamba gained weight they were waiting to post that his cardio is bad, so they saw what they wanted to see. Yea he didn't look spry out there in the first scrimmage but most players didn't ! Hell Kawhi looked a little slow out there and he is a basketball robot. I hope the plan is to bump him up a couple of minutes each game until he is comfortable around the 12-15 minute mark. That way we can keep Vuc (he looked real good in the scrimmage BTW) fresh in the playoffs and give our opponents a different look at center for a few minutes.

As for the 1st scrimmage, Bamba played only six minutes, had a block shot, a dunk and was able to draw a couple fouls offensive fouls in the paint because he was to big for the clippers bigs to deal with. He was easily more impactful than Birch and has been all season.

With his ability to space the floor (35.6 % from 3p) and protect the rim (1.4 BLK a game or 3.5 BLK per 36min) he should continue to get all the backup minutes at center. He is more impactful than Birch now and will continue to improve, while Birch is Birch the more minutes he gets the worse he performs.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#104 » by OrlandO » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:41 pm

The setup was better than I imagined. Don't really care much for scrimmages, but it's really great to have basketball back.

I wonder if this opens the door for Disney hosting summer league in the future? Would it make sense for Disney, NBA, teams, fans?
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#105 » by basketballRob » Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:19 pm

OrlandO wrote:The setup was better than I imagined. Don't really care much for scrimmages, but it's really great to have basketball back.

I wonder if this opens the door for Disney hosting summer league in the future? Would it make sense for Disney, NBA, teams, fans?
Hopefully it opens the door to them buying the Magic.

Sent from my SM-G950U using RealGM mobile app
RookieStar
RealGM
And1: 5,815

Post#106 » by RookieStar » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:28 pm

Bakomagic wrote:
zaymon wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:
Bamba was never athletic, there is mountain of evidence that proves it. Right before draft the Stepien relised huge article how drafting Bamba is betting on athletic improvment. Article went in great depths with video support explaining how he never had to do anything rather than just use long hands to get what he wants and how things like that, even at college, against talented bigs simply don't work.
He simply always lacked explosion and quickness, and all things he did, at college, were because of 7'9 wingspan and crappy competition ( vast majority of college teams did not have players taller than 6'10 , let alone 7 footers with any talent ).

Now guy added s** loud of weight year after stress fracture, on it's own it's already reason to be worried about. On top of that his conditioning was from day one in NBA -crap. Now, with added mass, with more muscles, his body uses even more oxygen to move, so you have situation where guy after 3 min of basketball is out of breath...

Everything about Bamba, since a day team drafted him to this date is a mess. Hopefully, after this season is over, Magic will actually hire some expert or send him to P3 or some other athletic performance center where people know what they are doing.

Actually we have P3s former director of performance in Luke Storey on our staff. Look at Isaac, Vucevic, MCW body transformation, i think we know what we are doing.

Yikes ! That backfired.

Yup. LOL No one can ever complain about the body and conditioning of MCW, Vuc and especially Isaac. Heck throw AG in there as we see his body of work during quarantine.

Now as to Bamba, no amount of skills, reputation, intelligence and etc will work if the person themselves refuses to follow or get better. I'm not saying this is the case with Bamba.Because he did just bulked-up. It's interesting to see how he his body will catch up with the added mass.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#107 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:00 am

Its a little concerning that our 21 year old "center of the future" looked like he was 41.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#108 » by Blue_and_Whte » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:05 am

RookieStar wrote:
Bakomagic wrote:
zaymon wrote:Actually we have P3s former director of performance in Luke Storey on our staff. Look at Isaac, Vucevic, MCW body transformation, i think we know what we are doing.

Yikes ! That backfired.

Yup. LOL No one can ever complain about the body and conditioning of MCW, Vuc and especially Isaac. Heck throw AG in there as we see his body of work during quarantine.

Now as to Bamba, no amount of skills, reputation, intelligence and etc will work if the person themselves refuses to follow or get better. I'm not saying this is the case with Bamba.Because he did just bulked-up. It's interesting to see how he his body will catch up with the added mass.

See i dont buy into that "he bulked up" stuff. Did he triple his mass? Hes a young professional athlete. He should be able to play more than 6 minutes without looking like hes actively having an asthma attack on the court.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#109 » by RookieStar » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:43 am

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
RookieStar wrote:
Bakomagic wrote:

Yikes ! That backfired.

See i dont buy into that "he bulked up" stuff. Did he triple his mass? Hes a young professional athlete. He should be able to play more than 6 minutes without looking like hes actively having an asthma attack on the court.

1.) Well it is obvious he got bigger/heavier. Now is it muscle or fats? Who knows

2.) Cant speak for anyone else but during my ahem *atheltic prime* I became lazy one time and gotten 10-12 lbs overweight and yes it really made me slow/sluggish/hard to breathe

3.)I agree he should be able to play more than 6mins before looking like he just finished a sub-2 boston marathon.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#110 » by MagicStarwipe » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:55 am

I wasn't really watching Bamba that closely so I didn't notice anything weird. Did he really look that tired/winded? As far as his on court time I thought he did pretty good.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
NotACat
Veteran
And1: 1,300

Post#111 » by NotACat » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:45 am

Between this thread and the losing interest thread, I'm remembering why I stopped coming to the Magic forum. Too many negative people and the moment anyone makes a positive comment or tries to reason why our FO would do something, they're attacked for even suggesting it.

Reality is that the team has handled Fultz and Isaac really well and that Mo is not yet ready to start over Vuc but getting closer every day. No reason to not trust them and their choices
Black Lives Matter
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,907

Post#112 » by drsd » Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:25 pm

OrlandO wrote:I wonder if this opens the door for Disney hosting summer league in the future? Would it make sense for Disney, NBA, teams, fans?

Vegas does the Western teams and Orlando does the Eastern: makes sense to me.

Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,143

Post#113 » by Def Swami » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:34 pm

Maybe I wasn't watching that closely, or cared enough, but I didn't think Bamba actually looked that bad or winded. Or at least more than usual.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#114 » by MagicStarwipe » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:46 pm

Def Swami wrote:Maybe I wasn't watching that closely, or cared enough, but I didn't think Bamba actually looked that bad or winded. Or at least more than usual.

That's why I'm asking. I want to know if it's legit or just Bamba haters getting their rocks off.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,184

Post#115 » by cedric76 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:04 pm

MagicStarwipe wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Maybe I wasn't watching that closely, or cared enough, but I didn't think Bamba actually looked that bad or winded. Or at least more than usual.

That's why I'm asking. I want to know if it's legit or just Bamba haters getting their rocks off.

HAters getting their rocks off as usual
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,314

Post#116 » by Knightro » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:26 pm

I just rewatched all six minutes Bamba played. There were moments of good and moments of bad.

The good? I thought Bamba looked functionally stronger on the court than he has ever looked in any other point in his NBA career. He actually made good contact on a screen and drew a couple of loose ball fouls by holding his position on rebound attempts under the basket. Six months ago he'd have gotten moved off the spot because he didn't have enough strength. He blocked the only shot that really came into his direct orbit.

The Bad? Personally, I thought Bamba looked very slow and appeared to be extremely winded after about 3-4 minutes of huffing up and down the court.

There's no just substitute for actually playing games. Bamba's been playing at 220 pounds for the last few years and this was his first live action at 250+. He wasn't moving that well, but the strength difference was very noticeable.

I'm encouraged though. With his standing reach and wingspan being what they are, I'm totally fine with him sacrificing a little mobility and athleticism in favor of strength. He'll get more comfortable with the added weight in due time.
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#117 » by OrlandO » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:09 pm

MagicStarwipe wrote:

After two minutes of play he had his hands on his hips during live ball.... I think it was pretty obvious he was sucking wind. It's not like Bamba was known for great conditioning before... the hiatus and weight gain couldn't have helped with that. But to be fair, he wasn't really letting it impact his play... he kept himself decently engaged, which is what really matters. But I can see why he's on a minutes restriction... we don't need him getting hurt as a result of pushing through excessive tiredness. Fortunately we only need him to play backup minutes.
RookieStar
RealGM

Post#118 » by RookieStar » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:44 pm

cedric76 wrote:
MagicStarwipe wrote:

HAters getting their rocks off as usual

I'm not a Bamba hater so I dunno if how you will value my opinion here. So here goes :

Bamba looked big. For me ( obviously watching from a pc screen ) his bulk/mass didn't look sculpted or looked *cut* as most NBA players are so probably a mix of fats and muscles.

When he played after a made basket by either team, he looked to me like the overweight kid I used to see where he tended to look down and breathe heavily. Hands on the hips ( is it a force of habit or just trying to breathe? )
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,272

Post#119 » by pepe1991 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:29 am

Adding weight makes you slower. Simple as that.
As far as fat vs muscles go

This is how people "get bigger" yet don't add much muscles at all.
Muscle building is years long process to fill up body, and gets super minor after just about year or two of lifting.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,935

Post#120 » by Last Guardian » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:46 pm

Spoiler:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:Its a little concerning that our 21 year old "center of the future" looked like he was 41.

Why is that concerning? We have had an unathletic, moves like a 40 year old starting center for like 10 years now

Return to Orlando Magic