Thing #2: The Caleb Martin Thread

Moderators: JDR720, Diop, fatlever, yosemiteben, BigSlam

Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Thing #2: The Caleb Martin Thread 

Post#1 » by Snidely FC » Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:52 pm

Caleb Martin officially makes Charlotte Hornets roster
The Charlotte Hornets were clearly impressed with Caleb Martin in preseason, rewarding him with a three-year contract and a spot on the roster for the upcoming season.

With the regular season days away, teams must trim their roster down to 15 players, along with two two-way players. Martin can breathe a sigh of relief now after receiving a contract.

The team announced the news yesterday afternoon.

The deal is a three-year, partially guaranteed contract, according to The Athletic’s Shams Charania.
BigSlam
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 8,358

Re: Oh Brother Where Art Thou - The Caleb Martin Thread 

Post#2 » by BigSlam » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:06 pm

Not a bad depth/youth move to sign him IMO.

As I mentioned in the preseason grades thread I liked parts of his game.

Hopefully now he has a contract locked away he can play with more confidence, be a little more relaxed and not force the issue too much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
B B M F 'ers
fatlever
Senior Mod - Hornets
Senior Mod - Hornets
And1: 12,616

Re: Oh Brother Where Art Thou - The Caleb Martin Thread 

Post#3 » by fatlever » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:45 pm

Wonder twin powers, activate

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
Snidely FC
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,141

Re: Thing #2: The Caleb Martin Thread 

Post#4 » by Snidely FC » Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:52 pm

Martin averaged just over six points, two rebounds and one assist in 18 total NBA appearances this season, shooting 44 percent from the field and shooting a strong 54 percent from three (20-of-37 overall). He led all NBA players in catch-and-shoot efficiency from distance (63.3 percent; mini. 1.5 attempts per game), with the next closest player coming in at 55.3 percent.

“I want to keep being a consistent shooter and continue to knock those down,” Martin said. “In the game of basketball, you’re going to miss shots sometimes, but I would like to be one of those guys that other teams get nervous about when they’re open. I want to be one of those guys that other teams have to key in on. I want to be one of the guys who can help contribute and make another team afraid if I’m open.”
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#5 » by yosemiteben » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:19 pm

I've been without Hornets basketball for so long that I legit don't remember for sure which one Caleb is. He's the taller one, right?
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#6 » by HornetJail » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:24 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I've been without Hornets basketball for so long that I legit don't remember for sure which one Caleb is. He's the taller one, right?
I was never able to tell them apart aside from their jersey numbers.
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
Hornet Mania
General Manager
And1: 7,399

Post#7 » by Hornet Mania » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:53 pm

yosemiteben wrote:I've been without Hornets basketball for so long that I legit don't remember for sure which one Caleb is. He's the taller one, right?

Caleb is offense, Cody is defense. That's how I think of them anyway
Diop
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 17,829

Post#8 » by Diop » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:59 am

I was worried I was being over hyped about the twins but I’m glad Calebs stats showed it wasn’t just my rose coloured glasses
LofJ
RealGM
And1: 10,519

Post#9 » by LofJ » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:16 pm

I don't think it's a coincidence that we've hit on home state guys in the 2nd round. We should keep it up and sign Harry Giles this summer.

NC might also produce 3 of the top 4 vote recipients for MIP - Ingram, Adebayo, and Graham. Charlotte should not be an NBA afterthought, we should proudly represent on the worldwide basketball stage.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#10 » by Braggins » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:30 pm

KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:

Same. I still have no idea which is which.

Is Caleb the one we actually drafted and is the one we drafted the good one?
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#11 » by HornetJail » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:35 am

Braggins wrote:
KEMBAtheMETEOR wrote:

Same. I still have no idea which is which.

Is Caleb the one we actually drafted and is the one we drafted the good one?

We drafted Cody and he is the one that played all year
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#12 » by 316Hornets » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:14 pm

I've always felt like Caleb is the one with the highest potential. Cody is a stronger defender but his offensive game is really limited. Caleb just has to find his role and develop his skillset.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#13 » by euphorbus » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:48 pm

I have to admit, this guy is getting better all the time. That Air Jordan slam was nice, but it seems good things (pun intended) happen when he gets on the court. Looking at his stats, he seems to be among the top five players on the team. Right now, he is third in FG% and fifth in 3-point percentage. Also, third in steals per 36 minutes and in +/-.
Chapelchilla
Bench Warmer
And1: 867

Post#14 » by Chapelchilla » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:05 pm

The Martins are both decent second team type players. Maybe Caleb is more? still not sure but it is possible. They have NBA player measurables and are tough too. I like them being on the team.
JMAC3
General Manager
And1: 4,160

Post#15 » by JMAC3 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:11 pm

My biggest issues watching him are that he seems to be a ball stopper at times and he does not make quick decisions with the ball. Shoot or pass off the catch, but often he hesitates and defender closes out well and then he gets stuck in this jab step/pump fake/worthless touch that lets the defense reset and he ends up having to throw up some hero ball shot like he is KD (more often than not it doesn't work).

He does seem to be doing more defensive things that Cody brought to the table last year including taking charges that I think has helped surpass Cody on the depth chart.

To be fair, I probably confuse them 30 times every single game and it sometimes difficult to interpret who is playing well out of them until I check the boxscore. It is either one of them has 10 points and 5 boards or they each have 5 points and 2 boards and I can't remember who did what.
Big Board
1. Vontae Mack no matter what!!
yosemiteben
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 13,649

Post#16 » by yosemiteben » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:29 pm

Surprising that the UDFA twin is starting to outperform the pick #36 twin.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#17 » by JMAC3 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:49 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Surprising that the UDFA twin is starting to outperform the pick #36 twin.

I am not sure he is the better twin, but I am sure he is better fit for how he is being utilized. This how I view them in a sentence.

Cody- Better all around, better passer, defender and will look to make the right play within in the offense.

Caleb- More focused on putting ball in hoop, better shooter, more aggressive looking for shot, and higher confidence level.

Right now with them playing on the second unit that really lacks a guy wired to score Caleb is better fit because we need someone to put the ball in the hoop. If you were looking to start one next to Rozier and Hayward then I think Cody would be the better fit because there wouldn't be as big of a need to score.
Big Board
CuseMayne
Sixth Man
And1: 1,372

Post#18 » by CuseMayne » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:01 pm

It is a pretty nice luxury that we have both on the roster for depth purposes on the wing, they're both above average defenders, can ball handle and play make a tad, work their tails off, draw a surprising amount of charges, compete for and earn their minutes, etc...

Caleb does seem to be a bit of a ball stopper, but he is clearly a way better offensive threat than Cody. IMO the gap between Caleb and Cody's offensive abilities far surpass their defensive abilities, making Caleb more useful as of late.

Once we are able to balance and round out the roster, neither will likely get more than spot minutes unless they're playing extremely well, but they're perfect to have at the mid/end of the bench and can come in and give big time energy and bring a lot of little things to the table. Another very solid find by Mitch.

And yeah, as wild as it seems, they're ahead of Monk on the depth chart for a reason.
JMAC3
General Manager

Post#19 » by JMAC3 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:03 pm

yosemiteben wrote:Surprising that the UDFA twin is starting to outperform the pick #36 twin.

Also, in a world where we say things like " Bucks gave up a lot for Holiday, but that guarantees that Giannis stays so it was worth it" or "trading that much for PG also gets us Kawhi so it was worth it"....

We have to give Mitch credit. By taking Martin 1 he pretty much took Martin 2 with the same pick because they are a package deal. Galaxy Brain Value.
Big Board
euphorbus
Analyst
And1: 1,480

Post#20 » by euphorbus » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:19 am

Caleb with another quality outing tonight, including another spectacular dunk.

Return to Charlotte Hornets