ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#761 » by Paradise » Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:38 pm

Nets reportedly looking at Lavine if he becomes available.

Read on Twitter
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Post#762 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:44 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:The goal should be to get Jrue Holiday without giving up Dinwiddie.

At this point Dinwiddie is clearly the 3rd best player on the team. He is extremely impactful on the offensive end when you look at his advanced stats.

I think it might be time to pull the trigger on a LeVert trade. If he has another underwhelming season it’ll be impossible to convince teams that he’s a young player with star potential at 26 years old.

LeVert, Allen and a 1st for Jrue is what the Nets should be pursuing.

Then maybe something like Prince, Kurucs and 2 1sts for Gordon.

You need two of Dinwiddie/Prince/LeVert in a Jrue deal to match salaries.

I'd deal Dinwiddie instead of LeVert. With Jrue, we don't need a 3rd PG of Dinwiddie's caliber. I'd rather keep the young wing that is locked under contract.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#763 » by MGrand15 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:33 pm

I would love to get Lavine. I think he's super underrated because he's been in some terrible situations. I really like his game and think he'd be dynamite as a 3rd option. He's a really good shooter. He can run the 2nd unit. The paint is gonna be wide open for drives with KD + Harris + Irving on the floor. Younger and a lot cheaper than Beal too.
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,577

Post#764 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:50 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
TheBrooklynKidd wrote:The goal should be to get Jrue Holiday without giving up Dinwiddie.

At this point Dinwiddie is clearly the 3rd best player on the team. He is extremely impactful on the offensive end when you look at his advanced stats.

I think it might be time to pull the trigger on a LeVert trade. If he has another underwhelming season it’ll be impossible to convince teams that he’s a young player with star potential at 26 years old.

You need two of Dinwiddie/Prince/LeVert in a Jrue deal to match salaries.

I'd deal Dinwiddie instead of LeVert. With Jrue, we don't need a 3rd PG of Dinwiddie's caliber. I'd rather keep the young wing that is locked under contract.

No you don’t, you only need to send out 21 mill to
match Jrues salary, which Levert (16) + Allen (4) + Kurucs (2) gets you to.

I’d prefer to keep the superior player in Dinwiddie. There’s no reason to choose LeVert over him unless you believe he’ll leave a contender in FA after only 1 year. LeVert is a guard, the only thing he has over Dinwiddie is an inch in height.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,827

Post#765 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:40 pm

I would take LaVine in a heartbeat. Excellent shooter, solid ball handler and he's athletic, something that this team has lacked for God knows how long. Get it done Marks.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,559

Post#766 » by DarkXaero » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:25 am

I think I've mentioned Lavine as a cheaper (compared to Beal) option before, so I would be down for it if the price is reasonable. He's a pretty significant upgrade on Levert.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#767 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:41 am

Zach is not an upgrade over Caris, in the areas we need from a 3rd star.

Next to Kevin and Kyrie, you ideally want low-usage guys who can defend and do the dirty work. Levert is no junkyard dog, but he's miles ahead of Lavine with defense and intangibles. Zach gets a solid amount of steals because he gambles for them, and compromises team defense in the process. Zach is a superior spot-up shooter, and his usage rate isn't quite as high as ISO-Joe 2.0, but I'd still rather have our homegrown guy.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#768 » by DarkXaero » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:33 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:Zach is not an upgrade over Caris, in the areas we need from a 3rd star.

Next to Kevin and Kyrie, you ideally want low-usage guys who can defend and do the dirty work. Levert is no junkyard dog, but he's miles ahead of Lavine with defense and intangibles. Zach gets a solid amount of steals because he gambles for them, and compromises team defense in the process. Zach is a superior spot-up shooter, and his usage rate isn't quite as high as ISO-Joe 2.0, but I'd still rather have our homegrown guy.
Lavine is a far superior off ball player to Levert, who has yet to show that he can play well without the ball. Lavine put up 19 PPG on 57.6% TS%, with a very low usage rate of 21.7%. He did this in his 3rd year in the NBA when he was playing next to KAT, and he has gotten much better since then. That season as a 3rd year player is also better than any of Levert's seasons. Sure, Lavine is a **** defender, but he has also only been in **** situations, and with the right coaching & focus, Lavine has tools to become a plus defender in the NBA. It's not like Levert is a good defender himself.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#769 » by GTR11 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:17 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:Zach is not an upgrade over Caris, in the areas we need from a 3rd star.

Agreed, that bum is definition of trash when it comes to playing defense. Wolves canned his azz so fast without even thinking for a good reason. I'm not saying Zack can't play. But on this team he ain't got business here.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#770 » by GTR11 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:21 am

Paradise wrote:Nets reportedly looking at Lavine if he becomes available.

Read on Twitter

Only thing I'm interested in here... drive that price up so nix do duh nix stuff. If they'll lose Mitch in that trade that thread will be gold :nod:
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,827

Post#771 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:03 am

GTR11 wrote:
Paradise wrote:Nets reportedly looking at Lavine if he becomes available.

Read on Twitter

Only thing I'm interested in here... drive that price up so nix do duh nix stuff. If they'll lose Mitch in that trade that thread will be gold :nod:

The Knicks are about to hire Jason Kidd :lol:
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Dzon Dilindzer
Veteran
And1: 4,158

Post#772 » by Dzon Dilindzer » Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:07 am

GTR11 wrote:Agreed, that bum is definition of trash when it comes to playing defense. Wolves canned his azz so fast without even thinking for a good reason. I'm not saying Zack can't play. But on this team he ain't got business here.

minnesota traded zach lavine for two reasons:

- andrew wiggins was 1st pick
- zach lavine had acl injury

but there is no doubt they made mistake, given zach lavine is the better player than wiggins and on much better contract and minnesota got lucky with that dangelo trade, otherwise theyd be stuck with no good wiggins and his horrible contract and that couldve lead to kat asking for a trade, cause after all, jimmy butler leaving after they made playoffs is saying something
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Post#773 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:52 pm

That sounds like a terrible idea to me.

Jrue is way overpaid and has not even been an all star in years. Why would we give up Levert who is capable of putting up 20 a night and is on a far better contract?

To me the only upgrade we need to make is at PF.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#774 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:56 pm

I would take LeVert over Lavine straight up.

Hes a high volume scorer who can't do much else.

My priority is keeping Harris and adding a stretch 4. I used to say Gordon but I think the money won't work. Maybe Ibaka since he is close with KD.

Kyire
LeVert
KD
Ibaka
Jordan

Harris & Dinwiddie off the bench

That's a Championship level team straight up.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#775 » by DarkXaero » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:25 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:

My priority is keeping Harris and adding a stretch 4. I used to say Gordon but I think the money won't work. Maybe Ibaka since he is close with KD.

Kyire
LeVert
KD
Ibaka
Jordan

If Lavine is a high volume scorer who can't do much else, what does that make Levert? :lol: :lol:
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#776 » by Paradise » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:29 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

Kyire
LeVert
KD
Ibaka
Jordan

If Lavine is a high volume scorer who can't do much else, what does that make Levert? :lol: :lol:

Wait, what?

LeVert is a significantly better defender and passer than LaVine.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#777 » by DarkXaero » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:39 pm

Paradise wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

Kyire
LeVert
KD
Ibaka
Jordan

Wait, what?

That's statistically false. Levert is better as a playmaker and defender than Lavine, but not significantly better. They're ultimately both bad defenders.

In the end, calling Lavine a "high volume scorer", when the guy is averaging 25.5 PPG on above average efficiency, despite the dumpster fire around him, and with high level 3pt shooting, it's disingenuous. Levert is averaging 18 PPG on well below average efficiency. You can't just dismiss that easily.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#778 » by Claud » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:03 pm

Caris if a FOK, so I highly doubt he's traded unless it's for another FOK.

Not to mention he's under contract unlike Dinwiddie who WILL test free agency.

If we are making a trade, I have a feeling it will be DInwiddie + pieces.

Dinwiddie started the season strong then faded, while Caris was the opposite although he did deal with injuries.

Caris was playing out of his mind before the lockdown in March. Triple doubles, 50pt at the Boston garden, etc.

Personally I think in terms of production Dinwiddie has been slightly more consistent plus less injury prone than Caris.

With that said, they both possess allstar level talent. Lavine is on the same boat. He is not a CLEAR upgrade in mind.

I still want wait to see KD + Kyrie with our core before we start making any moves unless it's an obvious one.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#779 » by DarkXaero » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:22 pm

Claud wrote:Caris if a FOK, so I highly doubt he's traded unless it's for another FOK.

Not to mention he's under contract unlike Dinwiddie who WILL test free agency.

If we are making a trade, I have a feeling it will be DInwiddie + pieces.

Dinwiddie started the season strong then faded, while Caris was the opposite although he did deal with injuries.

Caris was playing out of his mind before the lockdown in March. Triple doubles, 50pt at the Boston garden, etc.

Personally I think in terms of production Dinwiddie has been slightly more consistent plus less injury prone than Caris.

With that said, they both possess allstar level talent. Lavine is on the same boat. He is not a CLEAR upgrade in mind.

I still want wait to see KD + Kyrie with our core before we start making any moves unless it's an obvious one.
I don't think being KD's friend matters. Dinwiddie is also friends with Kyrie by that criteria. Dinwiddie didn't fade, he mostly just adjusted depending on who he was playing with. In December, when Dinwiddie was the main man, he averaged 27/7 in 34 MPG, 53.5% TS%, 35% usage rate. In the last month before lockdown, Dinwiddie was averaging 17/6 in 29 MPG, 56% TS%, only 26% usage rate. The numbers could be better but he was still playing fine on much lower usage and lower minutes.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#780 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:47 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
Paradise wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:If Lavine is a high volume scorer who can't do much else, what does that make Levert? :lol: :lol:

Wait, what?

That's statistically false. Levert is better as a playmaker and defender than Lavine, but not significantly better. They're ultimately both bad defenders.

In the end, calling Lavine a "high volume scorer", when the guy is averaging 25.5 PPG on above average efficiency, despite the dumpster fire around him, and with high level 3pt shooting, it's disingenuous. Levert is averaging 18 PPG on well below average efficiency. You can't just dismiss that easily.

Lavine stays putting up big stats on bad teams. Nets were far better with LeVert as the leading man when Kyrie was hurt.

LeVert is an average defender at worst, and Lavine is one of the worst in the league.

Return to Brooklyn Nets