Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Re: Scrimmage #1: Wiz vs Nuggets 

Post#41 » by 80sballboy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:54 pm

Ruzious wrote:
closg00 wrote:What's up with Matthews?

He has an undisclosed personal reason for not showing up yet. They could really use his 3 point shooting to spread opposing defenses.

It's getting late. My assumption is he's not going to play. He needs to be there by Monday to have a chance to play next week and maybe that's too late, considering he probably isn't in basketball shape. Damn shame, but I don't care about winning. More about developing and while this would have been nice for Matthews, they know what he can do.
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#42 » by 80sballboy » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:05 pm

It was nice to see basketball finally, though it was more like a slightly better version of Summer League. Not a lot of defense. Tough judging the Nuggets without their regular backcourt and Will Barton.

Troy Brown needs to step it up. Speaking of second-rounders. Oh wait, first-rounders (lol). This is his chance to get better. These eight games. Same with Rui, who looks a little bigger. I read somewhere he gained 10 pounds. Jerome Robinson looks like a G-League player and so does the Admiral. Pasecniks may be one of the worst finishing big men I've ever seen. Like Ish and Shabazz. Guessing Napier will not be back next season since Ish has one year left and Wall is returning. So he's auditioning for a new club.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#43 » by payitforward » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:59 pm

80sballboy wrote:...Troy Brown needs to step it up. Speaking of second-rounders. Oh wait, first-rounders (lol). This is his chance to get better....

Troy played 25 minutes. He went 4-6 on 2-point attempts & made his only FTA. He had 6 rebounds, 5 assists & 3 steals. He basically ran the offense last night & had only 2 TOs. So... I guess you mean he needs to hit the 3-ball, right? True enough. 1-7 won't cut it.

80sballboy wrote:...Jerome Robinson looks like a G-League player....

Not a good G League player, however.

80sballboy wrote:...Guessing Napier will not be back next season since Ish has one year left and Wall is returning. So he's auditioning for a new club.

You may be right, but that would be too bad. He was by far the best player on the floor last night. For the Wizards at least.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#44 » by dlts20 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:06 am

Is the clips game on tv
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#45 » by payitforward » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:50 am

Can't be, because there is no game thread.

(...scrimmage thread?)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,371

Post#46 » by Jimmy Recard » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:27 am

Bonga is looking really good

Rui forcing it..
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,726

Post#47 » by gambitx777 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:13 am

Every other team.passed on bolbol as well some just as many times as we did. So let's not be too mad at tommy over the kid have one ok game.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#48 » by Ruzious » Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:14 pm

gambitx777 wrote:Every other team.passed on bolbol as well some just as many times as we did. So let's not be too mad at tommy over the kid have one ok game.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using RealGM mobile app

Meanwhile under the radar Bonga maybe should be getting the attention Bol is - since he's playing better. Bonga's always going to have a thin frame, but he's still been able to add strength. The team plays better when Bonga's on the court - and he was effective with Rui and Bryant - the 3 of them dominated the boards together. Rui and Bonga both look like they put in the work while the NBA was out.

One player who looks like he hasn't put in that kind of work is Jonathan Williams - and he showed he just doesn't have the power or explosiveness to finish in traffic. He must have had about 4 of his shots blocked and showed no confidence on others - just throwing it near the rim. He's not going to stay in the NBA unless he works harder in the gym, imo.

Gotta love that the Wiz rotation players out-played the Clips'.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
prime1time
Analyst
And1: 1,868

Post#49 » by prime1time » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:17 pm

Bryant looks lost...
tsvqt
Veteran
And1: 22

Post#50 » by tsvqt » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:54 pm

Wiz may go 0-8 in the restart. (smh)....... When you don't play DEFENSE, you stand zero chance of any improvement. Can anyone tell me who our BEST defender is?.........I'll wait.
Retired Air Force
bsilver
Pro Prospect
And1: 462

Post#51 » by bsilver » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:55 pm

Forget "best player available" in the draft. In this draft no one knows best player available, anyway. Get someone who can play defense and rebound. The team we put out there against the Layers today won't win any games unless the score is something like 130-125.

Shabazz Napier is no solution at PG. He's selfish and makes bad decisions. He's good at one thing - scoring. It's no wonder Bonga took only 5 shots. Napier wouldn't pass him the ball when he was wide open. Our big men had to play selfish basketball - get your shot when you touch the ball, because the guards aren't going to set you up.
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics — quote popularized by Mark Twain.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#52 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:26 am

tsvqt wrote:Wiz may go 0-8 in the restart. (smh)....... When you don't play DEFENSE, you stand zero chance of any improvement. Can anyone tell me who our BEST defender is?.........I'll wait.

I’m convinced we’ll go winless in Orlando.

Not enough talent and a coach who pulls the wrong strings.

I actually think it’s part of the plan. Shepherd doesn’t want to lose his lottery ticket.
In Rizzo we trust
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by Ruzious » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:59 am

Once again, Bonga's +/- stands out. He had a +5, while all the other starters had -7 or worse.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by Ruzious » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:53 pm

OMG, we have a real game tomorrow - and it's very winnable, imo.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#55 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:12 pm

Ruzious wrote:OMG, we have a real game tomorrow - and it's very winnable, imo.

We got a game thread coming?
In Rizzo we trust
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by Ruzious » Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:17 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:

I think they just magically appear, no?
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager

Post#57 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:57 pm

Ruzious wrote:

Yeah, yeah, I get it. I sound like an entitled poster, looking for others to do what I won't.

And yes, I'm probably that.

But I'm also a thoroughly incompetent poster who doesn't know how to start a game thread. Heck, I don't even know how to pull one of those cool emojis from the side of the screen into my post.

I need a millennial.
In Rizzo we trust
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by Ruzious » Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:04 pm

Ruzious wrote:

Yeah, yeah, I get it. I sound like an entitled poster, looking for others to do what I won't.

And yes, I'm probably that.

But I'm also a thoroughly incompetent poster who doesn't know how to start a game thread. Heck, I don't even know how to pull one of those cool emojis from the side of the screen into my post.

I need a millennial.

Hey, I'm all that plus I'm too lazy. We might be twins.

Oh jeez, only an hour till game time. Who's gonna come through with a game thread?

Return to Washington Wizards