2020 Draft Thread

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

TB
General Manager
And1: 1,125

Re: 2020 Draft Thread 

Post#1641 » by TB » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:17 pm

EvanZ wrote:
TB wrote:Has anyone seen Poku in the last few months? No workout posts, no interviews online, nada.

Are the Warriors pulling a Smiley and going out of their way to hide our eventual Dray replacement?

I assume his league isn't playing right now.

Ya their league got cancelled and the next one starts in October I believe. Looks like he's still practicing with them (still looks skinny but definitely looks 7 foot). Not sure what that means in regards to him wanting to come over right away or if he plans to play with their 1st team in October.
Mylie10
RealGM
And1: 9,612

Post#1642 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:22 pm

TB wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
TB wrote:Has anyone seen Poku in the last few months? No workout posts, no interviews online, nada.

Are the Warriors pulling a Smiley and going out of their way to hide our eventual Dray replacement?

Ya their league got cancelled and the next one starts in October I believe. Looks like he's still practicing with them (still looks skinny but definitely looks 7 foot). Not sure what that means in regards to him wanting to come over right away or if he plans to play with their 1st team in October.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/aleksej-pokusevski-1.html

So not ready. Why would the Warriors take this guy in the first round? Answer: They wouldn't
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#1643 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:25 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:It’s so great to be in love....I found him and now I’ve fallen hard.

Abdoulaye N’doye 6’7” French guard. Great shooting numbers, steals the ball, great handles and vision, pinpoint looks, has major calm and swagger. He’s mostly a point guard. But size of a wing.

I love this dude and if he somehow slips to us, damn! Oh and he’s 6’7” Oh and a 7’2” wingspan!!!

Gives me a Mickael Pietrus vibe lol. But he's an under control pg, whereas Pietrus was an out of control explosive leaper. Both play defense.
Khoee wrote “
Mav_Carter wrote: my list doesn't matter...I'm pretty much wrong on everything...
TB
General Manager

Post#1644 » by TB » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:50 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
TB wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/aleksej-pokusevski-1.html

So not ready. Why would the Warriors take this guy in the first round? Answer: They wouldn't

That is more 1st team action than Giannis had pre-draft 8-)
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#1645 » by Mylie10 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 7:16 pm

TB wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
TB wrote:

The kid is 18. Do you believe the Warriors would take him? And play him right away? Come on.

That is more 1st team action than Giannis had pre-draft 8-)
Khoee wrote “
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,022

Post#1646 » by Scoots1994 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:52 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
He’s 22, which is fine by me, he’s not old.

lol that's old man

Lets put some context into. He's spent about 4 years playing for Cholet in the top league in France. So when he was 18/19 his game was very raw. He was on the Senegal national team when he was young as well, showing the raw but good potential. His early game didn't feature much shooting or pg play. Now at this stage he has a very refined game and still improving.

If he were an 18 year old, I wouldn't have thought twice about him, because he would have been just another 6'6" wing. Now he's a 6'7" PG who can guard wings and guards. He can back down and seal young players, and he can switch onto longer guys and guard the perimeter. His handles and vision are very good. Hi shooting has improved into very good numbers, especially from 3. Again though on low volume, which can be somewhat attributed to Euro basketball and how coaches really favor the veterans on teams.

22 is not old when you think about the fact that with his skillset you could plug him in right now off the bench and have another ball handler, defender, and shot maker, who's game is errily similar to both Livingston and Iguodala.

The best part about it, is the fact that he's a second rounder. We're not talking about a guy who will be picked in the first round. And if he is, its because some GM is seeing what I'm seeing. So potentially we could move up slightly to grab this kid and plug him right in.

I'm glad he spent his 18-21 years in the Euro league, because it prepared him for what he is now, and I believe he will only continue to improve.

Paschall is 22, effing old man. I laugh at you guys who put so much weight on being in the early 20's. It makes you short sided and doesn't really add any context to the variance of players around the World.

To me age is just another factor. If you have two players and everything is equal, or even if the younger player is a little behind I would favor the younger player. If you have an 18 year old who is 80% the player a 22 year old is then it's not at all hard to project that the 18 year old will get 20% better over the next 4 years.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,182

Post#1647 » by EvanZ » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:42 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
TB wrote:
EvanZ wrote:

He's not ready because there was a pandemic that got his league cancelled? Got it. :lol:

When you only take guys who are "ready" you end up making a lot of mistakes like passing over Giannis.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#1648 » by Little Digger » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:05 am

Abdoulaye N'doye is in my top 3
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,326

Post#1649 » by KevinMcreynolds » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:33 am

TB wrote:Bol is a much better basketball player than Smiley. It's not even close. Literally the only reason to pass on Bol would be if you never think he's going to be healthy. And even then, in the 2nd round when your options are him or Smiley... you roll the dice with Bol.

I do like what the Warriors did with Smiley outside of the fact that Bol ended up slipping and they should have taken him. Smiley is a much more intriguing prospect than what alot of other teams were drafting in the 2nd round.

who's Bol going to defend in the NBA? Bigs will physically destroy him and he's way too slow to defend in space. I really don't see him having a place in the NBA. Like I said before, I think he'll be a novelty end of the bench guy like Tacko Fall or Scalabrine.
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Little Digger
Head Coach
And1: 2,710

Post#1650 » by Little Digger » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:50 am

Little Digger wrote:Abdoulaye N'doye is in my top 3

OK I’m just going off a video.. so I really don’t know how high he should go

But

How can a talent like that be behind a stiff like Toppin?
ILOVEIT—Good 'ol Bob. Two things that will survive the next apocalypse - Cockroaches and Fitz.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,685

Post#1651 » by DAWill1128 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:21 am

I don't see why we wouldn't take Abdoulaye N'doye in the 2nd round, we are pretty far back and have two of them. I see the Pietrus comparison with the athletic 6-7 aggression, I don't know about point guard at least in the pure sense. But what's obvious is the guy has a motor, a good feel for the game, and the physical attributes to defend 1-3.

Personally I am a little higher on Reed, I think his length and defensive timing would frustrate Kawhi and LeBron as bold as that sounds. I don't see him dropping but if possible the Warriors should try packaging both 2nd rounders to move up.

I also like Bolmaro, he's just got that basketball savvy that reminds me of Ginobili. Maybe on a lower end Belinelli.

I think Bol will be fine defensively, I mean Porzingis has improved the Mavs defense. For a 7-2 guy with a 7-9 wingspan he moves pretty well. Boucher is a similar guy physically. Although I think Bol has Siakam potential or on a lower end maybe Ibaka. Denver will be a tough team defensively because they will pair two ultra long guys in Porter and Bol next to Jokic. Long teams are frustrating to play against, the KD Thunder and Kawhi Raptors were tough teams.

What's tough is I think we had some guys in our system that could have helped. Nunn would have been a great spark plug scorer playing the two man game with Paschall off the bench. House has become a pretty solid athletic 3&D wing. Boucher I think will eventually replace Ibakas role in Toronto. I guess maybe these franchises just gave these guys the right situational roles or we misjudged talent.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,126

Post#1652 » by clyde21 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:18 pm

we just gave Dray a fresh contract if we're already worried about replacing him thats bad lol

also i'm not sure how Poku is a Dray replacement at all, Onyeka is much closer to that
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1653 » by clyde21 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:29 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
TB wrote:Bol is a much better basketball player than Smiley. It's not even close. Literally the only reason to pass on Bol would be if you never think he's going to be healthy. And even then, in the 2nd round when your options are him or Smiley... you roll the dice with Bol.

I do like what the Warriors did with Smiley outside of the fact that Bol ended up slipping and they should have taken him. Smiley is a much more intriguing prospect than what alot of other teams were drafting in the 2nd round.

who's Bol going to defend in the NBA? Bigs will physically destroy him and he's way too slow to defend in space. I really don't see him having a place in the NBA. Like I said before, I think he'll be a novelty end of the bench guy like Tacko Fall or Scalabrine.

lol

Read on Twitter
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#1654 » by GQ Hot Dog » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:24 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:

He's slow but he's not uncoordinated, pretty smooth. And his shot looks legit as well. These are just scrimmages and I'll be most interested to see him against starter level players during a real game but he looks like he has some legit physical attributes to work with.

The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#1655 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:10 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:
TB wrote:

He's not ready because there was a pandemic that got his league cancelled? Got it. :lol:

When you only take guys who are "ready" you end up making a lot of mistakes like passing over Giannis.

So you are saying the Warriors might take him? Because I’d disagree on a few levels.

But that doesn’t mean I don’t see a player there. I’m just not in the Giannis camp lol. He might play in the league next year and he might not. But I don’t see him contributing to a Warriors run anytime soon.
Khoee wrote “
Mylie10
RealGM

Post#1656 » by Mylie10 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:13 pm

Bol’s a good shooter, so not worried about that aspect. And if they really would play 3 7 footers together, then I can see how he can find spaces to be successful. Especially playing with Jokic. I just think health is the main issue. So as long as he’s healthy, he’s going to play. He’s good.
Khoee wrote “
TB
General Manager

Post#1657 » by TB » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:11 pm

clyde21 wrote:

we just gave Dray a fresh contract if we're already worried about replacing him thats bad lol

also i'm not sure how Poku is a Dray replacement at all, Onyeka is much closer to that

I just mean a big that can orchestrate the offense and not rely on needing a pure PG as the Steph/Dray era winds down and ends.
TB
General Manager

Post#1658 » by TB » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:14 pm

Mylie10 wrote:
Mylie10 wrote:It’s so great to be in love....I found him and now I’ve fallen hard.

Abdoulaye N’doye 6’7” French guard. Great shooting numbers, steals the ball, great handles and vision, pinpoint looks, has major calm and swagger. He’s mostly a point guard. But size of a wing.

I love this dude and if he somehow slips to us, damn! Oh and he’s 6’7” Oh and a 7’2” wingspan!!!

After watching the highlights, I see similarities in play style to Paul George, Jimmy Buckets, Batum type players. He's not as big or athletic as PG3, probably not the IQ and effort of a Jimmy.

I'm officially intrigued.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,326

Post#1659 » by KevinMcreynolds » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:04 pm

clyde21 wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:

lol

Read on Twitter

seriously? you showing me a video of a blocked shot? :lol:

c'mon son
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1660 » by clyde21 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:11 pm

uhh yes? did you not see how he tracked a GUARD 3 levels to block the shot? you asked how he's going to defend. THIS is how he's going to defend.

Return to Golden State Warriors