RealGM
And1: 28,600

Re: Deni Avdija - 2020 draft 

Post#361 » by UcanUwill » Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:59 pm

Stillwater wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Stillwater wrote:whats with the fake crowd noise lol terrible

Have you heard of coronavirus?

Pathetic that these bums need fake fan motivation. They shouldn't even be playing regarding COVID-19.
Avdija really looks like a meh prospect at this point seeing how hes putting up average at best numbers in a weak league and did very little to earn more ops before EL shut it down.
I like his bbiq and point forward upside heck maybe if that slow ass release gets fixed he can get shots to fall.
I wouldn't touch this kid until the 8-9 range and thats with the most optimism humanly possible.

Crowd noises are added in broadcast, players dont hear it, and its been added in pretty much every sport that resumed.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#362 » by Stillwater » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:41 pm

UcanUwill wrote:
Stillwater wrote:
Klomp wrote:Have you heard of coronavirus?

Pathetic that these bums need fake fan motivation. They shouldn't even be playing regarding COVID-19.
Avdija really looks like a meh prospect at this point seeing how hes putting up average at best numbers in a weak league and did very little to earn more ops before EL shut it down.
I like his bbiq and point forward upside heck maybe if that slow ass release gets fixed he can get shots to fall.
I wouldn't touch this kid until the 8-9 range and thats with the most optimism humanly possible.

Crowd noises are added in broadcast, players dont hear it, and its been added in pretty much every sport that resumed.

that makes no sense at all either but ok I'll buy it.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,475

Post#363 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:36 pm

SwipeDaFox wrote:You're pretty much running circles around your own words.

So a top 6 Euroleague team. That's nothing? Cause it's clearly not how you worded your argument in the other post.

I can guarantee you every single one of the teams he faced against this year is much stronger than any NCAA team out there by a very large margin.

The players he is valued and compared to played tougher competition that I'm not aware of? What are you on about?

Not a top 6 EuroLeague team. Maybe top 6-8, so a top 8 EuroLeague team, not top 5 or top 6. Those Israeli League games of Maccabi are completely useless and pointless to judge a player. They are a very superior team to all of the other teams, even the only other decent team which is Hapoel Jerusalem, which is just an above average FIBA Champions League team. Most of the other teams in Israel's League are a complete joke, compared to Maccabi. So it's no competition. It's trash time and zero pressure and a whole team of superior players around him from the tip off. It's like Team USA versus some random Olympics selection like Tunisia, or something. It's not indicative of anything, based on some role player's level of play on the superior team.

It would be like basing a Duke or Kentucky player's value and worth on games played against NCAA Division II teams. If you have a grasp of how European basketball works, you would understand that.

It's good that Avdija is playing well in these games. But, to anyone that knows how European basketball works, those games are totally meaningless and show absolutely nothing at all, as to where he is at as a player. For all we know, he's actually worse than he was before the pandemic. You wouldn't even be able to tell, because the competition is so far inferior to his own team. It's like they are playing pickup games. And yes, this is a common knowledge for people that follow European basketball.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#364 » by Stillwater » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:48 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:

So a top 6 Euroleague team. That's nothing? Cause it's clearly not how you worded your argument in the other post.

I can guarantee you every single one of the teams he faced against this year is much stronger than any NCAA team out there by a very large margin.

The players he is valued and compared to played tougher competition that I'm not aware of? What are you on about?

Not a top 6 EuroLeague team. Maybe top 6-8, so a top 8 EuroLeague team, not top 5 or top 6. Those Israeli League games of Maccabi are completely useless and pointless to judge a player. They are a very superior team to all of the other teams, even the only other decent team which is Hapoel Jerusalem, which is just an above average FIBA Champions League team. Most of the other teams in Israel's League are a complete joke, compared to Maccabi. So it's no competition. It's trash time and zero pressure and a whole team of superior players around him from the tip off. It's like Team USA versus some random Olympics selection like Tunisia, or something. It's not indicative of anything, based on some role player's level of play on the superior team.

It would be like basing a Duke or Kentucky player's value and worth on games played against NCAA Division II teams. If you have a grasp of how European basketball works, you would understand that.

It's good that Avdija is playing well in these games. But, to anyone that knows how European basketball works, those games are totally meaningless and show absolutely nothing at all, as to where he is at as a player. For all we know, he's actually worse than he was before the pandemic. You wouldn't even be able to tell, because the competition is so far inferior to his own team. It's like they are playing pickup games. And yes, this is a common knowledge for people that follow European basketball.

I would not say those games are meaningless even though for the most part overblown as some great improevement . But at least he has upped his totals to reflect the oppositions weakness, but thats where the similarities end since high lottery 5 star prospects at any d1 school for example dominate the d2 mirror twice as much and put up similar stats to what Deni is doing now against good in conference opponents who although not grown men like what he is facing now, the mirror is often another highly touted prospect or an effective upper classman and usually the others teams best defender.
Thedragonking
Ballboy
And1: 50

Post#365 » by Thedragonking » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:11 pm

Mirotic12 wrote:

Lol maccabi Tel Aviv lost twice, including last game against Reshon leZion, and bearly beaten Jerusalem in the first game + lost early games to them before the coronavirus break! so i guess that the competition isn't that bad if a top 6-8
( they were actually ranked 5 in the euroleague!) Euroleague team, is having a hard time against.
Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#366 » by Mirotic12 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 10:53 pm

Thedragonking wrote:Lol maccabi Tel Aviv lost twice, including last game against Reshon leZion, and bearly beaten Jerusalem in the first game + lost early games to them before the coronavirus break! so i guess that the competition isn't that bad if a top 6-8
( they were actually ranked 5 in the euroleague!) Euroleague team, is having a hard time against.

They don't even care to win those games. They try to keep players from injury. And they don't even use the same player rotations they use in EuroLeague, even in the games they are trying to win. Not to mention games where they already clinched the 1 seed, so had no reason to win.

Earlier I put this into NCAA terms so Americans might understand, I will try this time with NBA compared to G-League and NCAA.

EuroLeague (NBA)

a level of pro leagues below

EuroCup / FIBA Basketball Champions League (G-League)

a level of pro leagues below

Israeli League (NCAA DI)

It's literally two entire league system levels of competition lower. You would find a total of zero people that follow European basketball regularly that would ever take a random Israeli League team as any competition for a EuroLeague team. There wouldn't be anyone in Europe that follows European basketball that would think that.

There have been many examples of the best players on Israeli League teams going to Maccabi Tel Aviv and then being the 15th man of that team. The best player of another BSL team, then the next year is the 15th man of Maccabi. Numerous examples. This shouldn't even be counted as a discussion, because it's not even remotely worth discussing.
j_n
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,684

Post#367 » by j_n » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:30 am

After two very weak games in the Israeli playoffs Avdija was a key player for Maccabi in a win or go home.

He had a good game overall but his dribble was exposed a few times and he had like 6 turnovers as the primary ball handler for Maccabi (their entire pg rotation was out).

Mirotic12
Lead Assistant

Post#368 » by Mirotic12 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:57 am

j_n wrote:After two very weak games in the Israeli playoffs Avdija was a key player for Maccabi in a win or go home.

He had a good game overall but his dribble was exposed a few times and he had like 6 turnovers as the primary ball handler for Maccabi (their entire pg rotation was out).

The only place where he is considered to be a play maker is in US sports media and those nonsense scouting hype sites. In Europe, he's pretty clearly a face up power forward, that can also be used as a combo forward.

This "he can be a point guard" nonsense in US sports media is the same BS they said about Dragan Bender and Dario Saric, who also never played point guard in Europe, and were in fact power forwards........but that US sports media also claimed were "point guards".
j_n
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,684

Post#369 » by j_n » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:34 am

Mirotic12 wrote:
j_n wrote:After two very weak games in the Israeli playoffs Avdija was a key player for Maccabi in a win or go home.

The only place where he is considered to be a play maker is in US sports media and those nonsense scouting hype sites. In Europe, he's pretty clearly a face up power forward, that can also be used as a combo forward.

This "he can be a point guard" nonsense in US sports media is the same BS they said about Dragan Bender and Dario Saric, who also never played point guard in Europe, and were in fact power forwards........but that US sports media also claimed were "point guards".

Nah, he clearly has good awareness and passing ability to become a secondary ball handler in the Nba, he needs to work on his handle quite a bit but I don't think he will be a power forward in the Nba.

Also I didn't know that all continents agree unanimously on players, in Europe he has shown his playmaking abilities but his role is obviously limited as a 19 year old playing for a Euro league contender, if he stayed with Maccabi for another year I have no doubt that he would have a much larger role.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#370 » by Stillwater » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:28 pm

OvEr RAYted
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#371 » by No-Man » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:57 pm

Deni has solid vision and passing chops but he is more of a scorer at heart
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#372 » by BlazersBroncos » Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:34 pm

I dont think anyone should look at him as a point forward, he is a combo forward that has better than average handles and vision for a combo forward. The biggest thing for him will be if he can play SF full time. There is much more demand for pure SF right now than combo guys, and much more for combo guys than pure PF. I personally think he can, and thats one of the reasons I value him so highly
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#373 » by Stillwater » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:36 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:I dont think anyone should look at him as a point forward, he is a combo forward that has better than average handles and vision for a combo forward. The biggest thing for him will be if he can play SF full time. There is much more demand for pure SF right now than combo guys, and much more for combo guys than pure PF. I personally think he can, and thats one of the reasons I value him so highly

He cant play the 3 defensively at a high level, his lateral speed is meh.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Post#374 » by BlazersBroncos » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:00 pm

I mean, he isnt going to be a defensive stopper but he should be able to play SF defense well enough to not be a liability IMO. If Cedi can defend SF, so can Deni.
Stillwater
RealGM

Post#375 » by Stillwater » Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:31 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:

I mean, he isnt going to be a defensive stopper but he should be able to play SF defense well enough to not be a liability IMO. If Cedi can defend SF, so can Deni.

I would bet Osman is Longer and faster... but whatever I think Deni could survive in a rotation there just not against anyone good and certainly not as a high minutes guy
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#376 » by kobyz » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:31 am

look at that grown man move by Deni today:

such a high ceiling to this kid, Jimmy Butler/Gordon Hayward type
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,375

Post#377 » by King Ken » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:33 am

kobyz wrote:look at that grown man move by Deni today:

Where?
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#378 » by kobyz » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:08 pm

King Ken wrote:
kobyz wrote:look at that grown man move by Deni today:

Where?

Last play of first half, started at 44:20
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,238

Post#379 » by BadWolf » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:34 pm

You sure?
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#380 » by getrichordie » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:21 pm

Calling that a "grown man" move is a gross over-reaction.
[twitter] @thunderdustin

Return to NBA Draft