2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS

Moderator: G R E Y

imagump1313
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,261

Re: 2019-2020 SEASON SPURS NEWS 

Post#121 » by imagump1313 » Tue Jun 9, 2020 11:55 pm

GREY 1769 wrote: :rofl: Well DD was out protesting BLM in Compton without a mask on, so... I mean, hopefully he's safe and healthy, but risks like that are all the higher now.

I really hope he doesn't play.
The only good thing that could come of any of this is that we get 8 games to let young guys prove themselves.(basically summer league but against better competition)
If I have to watch DeRozan gobble up 35-40 minutes per during these meaningless games, hogging all the shots and running the offense and our young guys are sitting around doing nothing, I am going to punch a wall. We know what he is, GTFO already so we can see what else we have.

I might actually be interested in watching some of this nonsense IF......
Aldridge(out)
DeRozan
Gay
Belinelli
and Mills don't play. There is no reason for any of them to play.
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,627

Post#122 » by G R E Y » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:06 am

imagump1313 wrote:
GREY 1769 wrote: :rofl: Well DD was out protesting BLM in Compton without a mask on, so... I mean, hopefully he's safe and healthy, but risks like that are all the higher now.

I really hope he doesn't play.
The only good thing that could come of any of this is that we get 8 games to let young guys prove themselves.(basically summer league but against better competition)
If I have to watch DeRozan gobble up 35-40 minutes per during these meaningless games, hogging all the shots and running the offense and our young guys are sitting around doing nothing, I am going to punch a wall. We know what he is, GTFO already so we can see what else we have.

I might actually be interested in watching some of this nonsense IF......
Aldridge(out)
DeRozan
Gay
Belinelli
and Mills don't play. There is no reason for any of them to play.

Yeah I'm all for minutes for the young guys, and with LMA out, we'll have to play a more up-tempo game to better suit their strengths. DD had the highest usage percentage even as LMA was our best overall player (somewhat understandable given one's a G/F, the other a C), and I hope that becomes more equitable for all our other players now. We'll have to be more G/F oriented without our primary big option, so it'll be interesting to see how we adjust.

I doubt we'll be going just for the experience - it's my understanding we're still going there with the mindset to give it an honest best shot. To that end, I don't mind minutes for the other vets you mentioned, so long as they're producing. Patty almost always does and this without really stepping on the younger players' minutes. Beli can get his spot up minutes - so long as he's hitting his shot while spacing. Otherwise, sits.

I do wonder how we're going to fill the position. This article suggests, reasonably, Drew Eubanks - an obvious choice; Quinn - not sure we need to convert his two-way right now given our glut of guards; Austin Spur Dedrick Lawson
Another Austin Spurs player and current free agent, Dedric Lawson could be a choice for San Antonio in filling out the roster.

Averaging 13.7 points on 53% shooting and 8.2 rebounds a game for Austin, Lawson was a consistent role player that made plays on both ends of the court. His length also helped him in towering over players even though he’s only listed at 6’7.

As well, Lawson shot 33% from three point range, showing he has the ability to shoot from deep. He’d be another player within the Spurs system which would make it easier to transition to the NBA roster then an outside player.

Lawson is a player to keep an eye on come the transaction window.

Now, we also have these options:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

To that end, one suggestion in the article as a replacement signing is Boogie Cousins. Not sure how his recovery is progressing, but he seems to be a popular choice among Spurs twitter fans (so it must be happening, right? lol). Another suggestion is Dragan Bender - honestly, I'd forgotten he was in the league. As the article says, there's a reason he's a FA.

Per the article, Marks said those rules he tweeted about may change, and if they do, then another option could be Luc Mbah a Moute:
The 11 year veteran is a consistent 3-and-D type player with plenty of experience to make him a good pick for a man to fill out depth. Along with his style of play and his defense that could be useful to San Antonio, he also fits the wing description that the Spurs have been needing all season long.

Bottom line, I think we go with someone who knows our system - so Drew likely has the inside track for a two-way contract to be converted.

I think Boogie is an interesting choice.

Dedrick Lawson is an outside shot. I've seen him listed 6'7" and 6'9", but at 22 and knowing our system, him and Drew would be solid options to shore up our bigs dearth.

Hopefully we move the ball more (including half court, so long as the ball doesn't stick) and work the transition game more as well. It's an opportunity to see the younger group work together without having its main scorer to rely on.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#123 » by G R E Y » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:50 am

So Lonnie decided to cut his iconic hair. At first blush, well, guy got a haircut isn't newsworthy, but since it's so prominent, voila:
Read on Twitter

BUT then Lonnie wrote a very personal and moving story behind it. Really strong message here, shedding light on some very dark experiences, and the journey he's been on to get to this decision, and new place in his life. I am routinely prouder and humbled by his growth and openness:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#124 » by G R E Y » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:14 pm

Nikola Milutinov was interviewed recently and sounded off a bit about the Spurs, specifically about not being called over:
The 25-years old big man picks a fellow center, Nikola Jokic, as the best Serb player ever while speaking about the Serbian national team and he also clarifies his situation with the San Antonio Spurs, who have drafted him with the 26th pick in 2015 but never gave him the chance to play in the NBA.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/euroleague/1069923/nikola-milutinov-i-want-to-win-the-euroleague-with-cska-moscow/

In the interview video he says, "You know, to go there I need to be invited to go there. I never had something official from them. It was only just talking. They were never so serious about taking me and I cannot go there by myself. They need to show their will bring me there and they didn't in the previous years..."
https://www.eurohoops.net/en/euroleague/1069923/nikola-milutinov-i-want-to-win-the-euroleague-with-cska-moscow/

I mean, ok, fair point, but think about how much the game has changed for Cs in the NBA since we drafted him. Except for FTs, I think Jakob already does and will be able to do what Nikolas does. Jakob is a great defender with some decent transition passing vision and finishing. Like Jakob, Milutinov does not shoot 3s, but whereas we had Jakob on a rookie contract and he's now a RFA, we'd have to have paid extra money to release Milutinov from his Euro contract. Seems like too much overlap in ability for which to pay extra. Perhaps we may yet bring him over, and he's only 25, but we have to see how things work out with Jakob first.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#125 » by G R E Y » Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:34 pm

I'm happy for both of them for the opportunity, it's just, well, if it were almost any other team than the coaching carousel of the Knicks, I'd feel better about it for them. Best of luck, Becky and Will!:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#126 » by G R E Y » Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:01 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#127 » by G R E Y » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:44 pm

On the heels of Lonnie opening up about his past, DJ steps up and reveals a bit more about his struggles. He's alluded to some of them in the past, and though he doesn't reveal all (that's his right), what he does talk about is a harrowing childhood full of a number of pitfalls that could have put his life on an entirely different path. Thank goodness he hit the gym and had some people who believe in him. Glad we were the ones who did on draft night. Happy he's making the most of it:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#128 » by G R E Y » Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:53 pm

We're shoring up our C position with LMA out:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I thought we may go the Hartenstein route but I guess it has to work for both sides and Zeller has more experience and better stats. It's been a while since he's played, though. Still a big who knows his position and can fill in spot minutes was an important hole to fill.

EDIT to add:
Read on Twitter

Tyler will wear #40.

Read on Twitter

p.s.
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#129 » by G R E Y » Sun Jul 5, 2020 5:12 pm

From RealGM wiretap:
...and according to ESPN, the Knicks spoke to Lakers assistant Jason Kidd and Spurs assistant Will Hardy.

https://www.sny.tv/articles/eight-nba-teams-not-part-of-orlando-restart-could-form-second-bubble-in-chicago-report

So Will had his interview last Thursday.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#130 » by G R E Y » Thu Jul 9, 2020 8:12 pm

Hmm interesting. Insurance for a back-up big?
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#131 » by G R E Y » Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:06 am

Good for you, Keldon! I like that he gave a local agency a shot. Love what this young man brings to our team.

Spurs' Keldon Johnson locked in for season restart, signs with San Antonio's FSM agency
FSM is a new sports agency located in San Antonio. It is taking root and already turning heads after some initial push back.

"A few years ago when we started FSM in San Antonio, I can distinctly remember when we were talking to potential investors and I was kind of laughed at, essentially told that I cannot start an NBA sports agency in San Antonio," Patel said. "When we started FSM, we had a lot of folks who didn't believe we could do it here in San Antonio."

Patel notes how big of an addition Johnson is to the FSM family especially the good character aspect the company wants for itself and for its clients.

"This is a great addition for us because he fits what we're trying to build from a character standpoint and that's what we're looking for - folks with great character," Patel said.

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/content/spurs-keldon-johnson-signs-with-san-antonios-fsm-agency

And this is exciting to hear. Can't wait to see the results!
As for Johnson getting set to play in Orlando to resume play, Patel says Johnson been locked in to get back on the court during the NBA hiatus.

"He's been locked in. I've seen his diet, his workout regiment and what he has been doing to get prepared for the season," said Patel. "He's ready to go. I'm excited to see him play."

"That laser focus is there. He's excited and ready to go," said Patel. "At a young age to have that type of ability to be able to compartmentalize and know what needs to be done and how to do it."

https://news4sanantonio.com/sports/content/spurs-keldon-johnson-signs-with-san-antonios-fsm-agency
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#132 » by G R E Y » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:23 pm

Nice!
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#133 » by G R E Y » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:16 pm

It's always right to stand by and not compromise your values, truth, and good character. This is what has built the culture that strengthens and sustains us.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#134 » by G R E Y » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:54 pm

Well that's interesting... I think Patty would make a great development type of coach at least to start with. I recall DJ was in on coach meetings when in rehab. Woj tweeted that the Knicks were impressed with Will in his interview - I REALLY hope he stays with us. That said, it's always good to have good people in the pipeline. Having Patty learn the coaching ropes while he's on the sidelines is an interesting and welcome development - looks to be the theme for players and coaches, current and maybe future:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#135 » by G R E Y » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:27 pm

Wow an amazing program. Helps the local community, helps the league:
Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#136 » by G R E Y » Wed Sep 9, 2020 5:19 pm

Best of luck to Becky. Can't say I like that our door keeps being knocked on about our talent, but it's a compliment that it does:
Read on Twitter

EDIT: Looks like Will Hardy will also be interviewed for the Pacers position. FFS lol
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#137 » by G R E Y » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:43 pm

The Minnesota Timberwolves has emerged as the most likely NBA destination for Real Madrid star guard Facu Campazzo according to Spanish outlet Marca.

Eurohoops has reported that Campazzo has attracted the strong interest of three NBA teams. According to various other reports of the last couple of months, NBA clubs that are targetting Campazzo include the Timberwolves, Dallas Mavericks (home of former teammate Luka Doncic) and the San Antonio Spurs.

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/1100741/timberwolves-reportedly-the-most-likely-destination-for-campazzo/

So the Wolves are as of now the frontrunner to land Campazzo, but it's interesting that we're still in the running. I wonder if the leak is to get the other two teams to up the ante or what. I'd like him provided we don't drastically overpay. Good to see we're trying to address the playmaking need. I think our situation is far more favourable than Minny's, but I'm biased.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#138 » by G R E Y » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:59 pm

A once-in-a-lifetime day to celebrate a once-in-a-lifetime trio!

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#139 » by G R E Y » Wed Oct 7, 2020 2:51 pm

Read on Twitter

I suspect this may be related to his injury in the bubble? If so, looks like they waited to see how it could heal and when it became apparent that subsequent treatment was necessary, they went ahead with the surgery. Or the delay may have been Covid-related? Either way, no timeline for recovery has been given. Hoping for a full and healthy return for Q.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#140 » by G R E Y » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:46 am

Well Hallelujah! May this mean we no longer have to go on the dreaded Rodeo road trips that have been trying the last couple of seasons. Whether this is because the pandemic is in the forefront of NBA scheduling considerations or it's a favourable happenstance coinciding with the scheduling, I sure would love it if this huge disadvantage could end. Sure we've turned it into a positive - team building and bonding, etc. - and it is an opportunity for that, but we have a solid group of players who genuinely like being with each other already (strengthened further by the bubble experience). No other team has had to do this so it's more of a level playing field.

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs