ImageImageImage

Welcome Norvel Pelle

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Winejk
Bench Warmer
And1: 432

Re: Welcome Norvel Pelle 

Post#21 » by Winejk » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:57 am

On last night's telecast against Toronto, the announcers were mentioning that Norvel Pelle's 2 way contract ends after 45 days, which was last night. I'm a bit surprised I haven't heard anything about Pelle today. It would seem like he's earned a spot with his play, but the Sixers roster is jam packed. Something has to give.
mithrandir17
Veteran
And1: 1,608

Post#22 » by mithrandir17 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:54 am

Maybe they are just waiting for a 2 for 1 trade to happen so that they wont have to cut anyone to make room for Pelle.
HartfordWhalers
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
Senior Mod - 76ers and NBA TnT Forum
And1: 20,472

Post#23 » by HartfordWhalers » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:38 pm

I wonder if they can wait that long. Ideally they do, as it would be useful to include someone like Bolden or KOQ for salary matching versus cutting them; and the team only has ~4m below the tax room to play with. That said, Pelle has been needed.
Kobblehead
RealGM
And1: 19,063

Post#24 » by Kobblehead » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:54 pm

Just send him back to the Bluecoats. Other than blocking shots, he doesn't offer much. O'Quinn has a far more versatile skillset than him, anyway.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#25 » by LloydFree » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:19 pm

mithrandir17 wrote:Maybe they are just waiting for a 2 for 1 trade to happen so that they wont have to cut anyone to make room for Pelle.

They are definitely waiting until they can put together a 2 for 1 trade, before they make a decision on Pelle. Being only 4 million under the tax, they don't want to cut anybody, without using their salary to bring back slightly more salary in a trade.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,336

Post#26 » by 76ciology » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:28 am

Am I crazy to say he is better than Nerlens Noel?

He’s just a waaay better shooter. It’s not saying much looking at overall picture but compared to Nerlens theres just a big gap.

Then he has a better physique that allows him to play on all kinds of C battles unlike with Nerlens when you can’t play him against bruisers like JV, Vucevic, Drummond, Biid, Jokic, Nurkic and others.

I’m mad that we let Christian Wood go. I was a big fan of him on our team. But Pelle is a very nice consolation price
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,011

Post#27 » by Sixerscan » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:35 am

Nerlens is definitely better but he'd have an issue with not playing every night while Norvel seems happy with whatever. Likewise from our/the Sixers perspective anytime Norvel does something good it's like finding $5 in your pocket whereas Nerlens was always going to be judged by his draft pick here.

Holding onto Wood for 4 years as he grew up would have been unrealistic. He got cut or not re-signed like 3-4 times after the Sixers and had to take a training camp invite before this season.

It shouldn't be that hard to find an acceptable 3rd center, it was kind of crazy how hard a time the Sixers had doing it last year, glad they were able to develop Pelle to be that this year and presumably next year at the league minimum.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,444

Post#28 » by youngcrev » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:32 am

76ciology wrote:Am I crazy to say he is better than Nerlens Noel?

He’s just a waaay better shooter. It’s not saying much looking at overall picture but compared to Nerlens theres just a big gap.

Then he has a better physique that allows him to play on all kinds of C battles unlike with Nerlens when you can’t play him against bruisers like JV, Vucevic, Drummond, Biid, Jokic, Nurkic and others.

I’m mad that we let Christian Wood go. I was a big fan of him on our team. But Pelle is a very nice consolation price

I think Nerlens is considerably better. Norvel's challenge everything at the rim/dare you to go at him style is extremely entertaining, but I don't think he's anywhere near the defender. One is one of the top backup 5s in the league and capable of being a low end starter while the other is a fringe NBA player.

Not sure where you're coming from with the shooting thing.. because he made that 1 3 in a scrimmage? They're both basically non-shooting, rim runners on offense and have similar free throw percentages.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#29 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:22 am

Sixerscan wrote:Nerlens is definitely better but he'd have an issue with not playing every night while Norvel seems happy with whatever. Likewise from our/the Sixers perspective anytime Norvel does something good it's like finding $5 in your pocket whereas Nerlens was always going to be judged by his draft pick here.

Holding onto Wood for 4 years as he grew up would have been unrealistic. He got cut or not re-signed like 3-4 times after the Sixers and had to take a training camp invite before this season.

It shouldn't be that hard to find an acceptable 3rd center, it was kind of crazy how hard a time the Sixers had doing it last year, glad they were able to develop Pelle to be that this year and presumably next year at the league minimum.
Agree Nerlens is better, but the disparity isn't huge. Noel has always been criminally overrated as a shot blocker, gets pushed around under the boards, and isn't the most effective post defender. He'll always be useful as long as he's a long, switchable defender, but there really aren't any aspects of his game that he's particularly great at.

One thing that drove me mad was how passive Nerlens was here when it came to asserting himself as a rim protector. I expected him to challenge everything the way Pelle does.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,056

Post#30 » by sixers hoops » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:33 pm

76ciology wrote:Am I crazy to say he is better than Nerlens Noel?

I had this same thought yesterday. Pelle is an animal back there. I haven’t seen much Nerlens since he left Philly so I trust those who watch more leaguewide games than me, but I love Pelle as our backup five.

I said last year prior to the playoffs that he should be on the roster instead of Amir, Monroe, and Boban. If we had him to hold down the defense while Embiid sat, I think we had the Raptors beat. It’s tough to win a series giving up 15 point leads everytime Embiid sits, and Pelle would’ve prevented that.

We went from a trifecta of slop last year to Pelle and Horford this year. Horford is clearly the guy when Embiid sits, but I’m comfortable anytime we need to use Pelle.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers