ImageImageImage

Good luck to old friend Tom Thibodeau

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Good luck to old friend Tom Thibodeau 

Post#1 » by Ernest » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:39 am

5 year deal with the Knicks. What are the odds he lasts more than 3 years there? No offense to him, he's a good coach but the Knicks are toxic and can never keep a coach 5 years. Should be a nice buyout check for him in about a year.
ConstableGeneva
RealGM
And1: 87,014

Re: Good luck to old friend Tom Thibodeau 

Post#2 » by ConstableGeneva » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:49 am

Congrats to Thibs, we'll still kick Knicks butt.

Celtics have won 18 of the last 22 matchups against the Knicks. Six of those wins by at least 20 points lol.
â–‘Nâ–‘0â–‘0â–‘Dâ–‘Sâ–‘ â–‘Iâ–‘Nâ–‘ â–‘Bâ–‘Iâ–‘Oâ–‘
Ed Pinkney
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,067

Post#3 » by Ed Pinkney » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:02 am

Not sure if he is suited to where the NBA has moved over the last ten years to be honest. Don't see this going well.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,689

Post#4 » by ParticleMan » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:48 pm

Well, if anyone can get that young crew to play D, it's Thibs. And after a couple years they will be so sick of his yelling and berating, that they will play their ass off for whichever coach that follows.
24istheLAW
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,849

Post#5 » by 24istheLAW » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:06 pm

Notable that this is the first big decision the Knicks have made in a while that is, at the surface, primarily motivated by maximizing the quality of the basketball team.

Nearly everything the Knicks have done in the last 10 years has been part of some fanciful plot to attract superstars. Picking coaches who players like, clearing cap space, etc.

Thibs isn't a player's coach by any stretch of the imagination. He's there to actually improve the product on the court.
The_Ghost_of_JB
RealGM
And1: 17,680

Post#6 » by The_Ghost_of_JB » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:26 pm

Ernest wrote:5 year deal with the Knicks. What are the odds he lasts more than 3 years there? No offense to him, he's a good coach but the Knicks are toxic and can never keep a coach 5 years. Should be a nice buyout check for him in about a year.

No chance he lasts 5 years. I think he is a good coach but the Knicks are a mess. He will be fired after 3 years, the knicks will hire some hack like Jason Kidd and proceed to pay both coaches for 2 years.
*Insert witty signature here.*
Curmudgeon
RealGM
And1: 21,604

Post#7 » by Curmudgeon » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:47 pm

LOL, I'd be interested to know if Leon Rose is going to let Thibs buy the groceries. If he does, that roster is going to get older in a big hurry.
"Numbers lie alot. Wins and losses don't lie." - Jerry West
"You are what your record says you are."- Bill Parcells
"Offense sells tickets. Defense wins games. Rebounding wins championships." Pat Summit
captain green
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,664

Post#8 » by captain green » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:12 pm

It don't matter who they get until that owner is out they will be disfunction junction. I like this hard nose attitude but Knicks players are mostly soft like in Timberwolves situation. I just feel this ends in 2 years, glad he gets more money though.
Brown's #1 fan on this forum.
Ernest
Sixth Man
And1: 1,271

Post#9 » by Ernest » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:30 am

As much as I kind of hate the Nets I do love it that they moved to NYC and stole the Knicks plan for the last 30 years that stars will want to play in NYC. Not only does just about no one want to play for the Knicks but now if someone wants to live in NY they have a much sexier option in the Nets. And I don't even feel bad for them they way I do for teams that have had years of bad luck because their fans always think they are getting LBJ or whomevver is the best free agent.

Return to Boston Celtics