ImageImageImageImageImage

Trades and Transactions thread - To the offseason!

Moderators: dakomish23, Capn'O, j4remi, Deeeez Knicks, NoLayupRule, GONYK, mpharris36, HerSports85, Jeff Van Gully

bleedblue3303
Sixth Man
And1: 1,125

Re: Trades and Transactions thread - To the offseason! 

Post#1121 » by bleedblue3303 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:49 pm

I would really love to see us pick up Harry GIles on a very team friendly deal. Maybe 1 year and another team option. Has connection to Perry and was very highly touted before his injuries.
BowlRips
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,836

Post#1122 » by BowlRips » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:20 pm

bleedblue3303 wrote:I would really love to see us pick up Harry GIles on a very team friendly deal. Maybe 1 year and another team option. Has connection to Perry and was very highly touted before his injuries.

Agreed. His passing game is very impressive
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,553

Post#1123 » by Capn'O » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:23 pm

BowlRips wrote:
bleedblue3303 wrote:I would really love to see us pick up Harry GIles on a very team friendly deal. Maybe 1 year and another team option. Has connection to Perry and was very highly touted before his injuries.

Agreed with both that he's worth a flyer but I would make a longer commitment. Three years. If you can get good prospects on the cheap... do it for longer and get their birds.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
TheProfessor
Starter
And1: 1,012

Post#1124 » by TheProfessor » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:37 pm

Infinitimind wrote:
TheProfessor wrote:
-YogiBiz- wrote:
I mean RJ is a better ball handler, passer, rebounder, and shooter (from Mid-Range since they both suck from deep); RJ is only slightly less athletic (End to end Edwards is faster, but RJ moves better laterally), and they are both really strong for their position.

RJ outweighs Edwards heavily in the Skill department. Not saying Edwards isn't a skilled player, but RJ is one of the more skilled young players in the league.

I disagree, RJ only uses one hand to dribble, Edwards is a much better shooter Ft%, 3 ball etc. Passer yes, RJ has that advanced feel. Also,Barrett is strong for his position, Edwards still has an edge. Barrett is 6'6 217, Edwards is 6'5 225 at the age of 18. Also another thing you have to consider is RJ played Tre Jones, Zion, Reddish where as Edwards has played with no one. I assure you, if he had more talent around him the numbers would be better and his shot selection would improve.
When I see Edwards I can kind of see an oladipo, when I see RJ I see 76'ers Iggy.

I like Edwards but no way is he better than Rj.Rj has done as good as he can due to lack of spacing in duke and with the Knicks . Give this kid space and he improves his free throws he will kill in the nba. Plus he always plays hard unlike Edwards

Here's the thing, free throw shooting in college is usually indicative of shooting in the nba. RJ only shot 66% from the line in college. Where as Edwards shoots 77% from the free throw line in college, from shot-form(eyetest) to actual stats you can tell Edwards "should" be a better shooter than RJ. Also free throws have nothing to do with spacing either. If your going to afford RJ the luxury of lack of spacing? Why won't you afford Edwards the luxury of lack of talent? I assure you if Edwards has Tre/Zion/Reddish on a team, he may focus on shot selection and effort more. Also RJ dribbles with one hand, that's not a spacing issue.

Also I am not comparing them as nba players, I think Edwards will struggle in the nba like RJ has just to a lesser degree, as a prospect I see Edwards as better prospect stronger, faster, longer, projects to be a better shooter, shot creator.

Edwards physical skills/talent>RJ, RJ basketball iq>Edwards.

However I would much rather teach an 18 year old shot selection than to teach RJ how to dribble with his right hand.
HarthorneWingo
RealGM
And1: 55,439

Post#1125 » by HarthorneWingo » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:55 pm

Capn'O wrote:
BowlRips wrote:

Agreed with both that he's worth a flyer but I would make a longer commitment. Three years. If you can get good prospects on the cheap... do it for longer and get their birds.

I watched a little of the Miam/Sacramento game and he looked pretty good. On one sequence he grabbed a tough rebound, drove the length of the floor and swooped in for a layup that he, unfortunately, missed (here might've been a foul) but his handle looked smooth.
Free Palestine
bleedblue3303
Sixth Man
And1: 1,125

Post#1126 » by bleedblue3303 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:54 am

HarthorneWingo wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
BowlRips wrote:

I watched a little of the Miam/Sacramento game and he looked pretty good. On one sequence he grabbed a tough rebound, drove the length of the floor and swooped in for a layup that he, unfortunately, missed (here might've been a foul) but his handle looked smooth.

I think New York would love him. I heard people say he has the intensity of a Kevin Garnett. New York would eat that up. we would love it.
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,974

Post#1127 » by Richard4444 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:21 pm

What about this? Full rosters change and expensive starter unit (salary cap around 106M)

1) Get CP3 for Randle + Dennis + Knox + Dallas pick
2) Get Lavine for 2020 FRP (7-9) + Frank
3) Sign Stretch Big FA (15-17M) - Gallo (Morris/Bertans/Grant/Wood).
4) Draft Shooter with LAC pick> Ramsay/Bane/Bolmaro/Smith
5) Draft Big with 2Round (38): Zeke/Oturu/Vernon/Reed
6) Buy 2 Round (31-35) and draft guard: Nico/Jones/Theo/Stanley
7) Room Exception (4M) : Harry Giles or Noel (vet options Taj, Byombo, Mahimi)
8) Keep the better undrafted guard from Lavar Peters/Harper/Pinson
9) Vet Minimums guys (3): MKG//Lance/Lee/Marvin Williams/Wilson Chandler/Markief Morris/Carrol

CP3/Nico/Lamar Peters
Lavine/Ramsay/Lee
RJ/Iggy/Carrol
Gallo/MKG/Zeke
Mitch/Giles/Wooten
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 7,422

Post#1128 » by Knick4Real » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:13 pm

Richard4444 wrote:What about this? Full rosters change and expensive starter unit (salary cap around 106M)

9) Vet Minimums guys (3): MKG//Lance/Lee/Marvin Williams/Wilson Chandler/Markief Morris/Carrol

CP3/Nico/Lamar Peters
Lavine/Ramsay/Lee
RJ/Iggy/Carrol
Gallo/MKG/Zeke
Mitch/Giles/Wooten

The only thing: I'm pretty confident the KNICKS will be going all in on LaMelo. He'd be the face of the franchise, and if reports of his $100 million shoe deal are true, the marketing/PR campaign with him in NY would be off the charts.
-YogiBiz-
Pro Prospect
And1: 686

Post#1129 » by -YogiBiz- » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:46 am

Knick4Real wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:What about this? Full rosters change and expensive starter unit (salary cap around 106M)

CP3/Nico/Lamar Peters
Lavine/Ramsay/Lee
RJ/Iggy/Carrol
Gallo/MKG/Zeke
Mitch/Giles/Wooten

The only thing: I'm pretty confident the KNICKS will be going all in on LaMelo. He'd be the face of the franchise, and if reports of his $100 million shoe deal are true, the marketing/PR campaign with him in NY would be off the charts.

How does his shoe deal benefit the Knicks?
KnicksGadfly
RealGM
And1: 13,946

Post#1130 » by KnicksGadfly » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:11 pm

Capn'O wrote:
BowlRips wrote:

You crazy bro. I propose:

1+1 contract.
1 year 10 million
1 year team option 10 million

I would have gone up to 15 million but Giles plays defense and we can't have that here. We're trying to build a tough gritty New York team
Deeeez Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 49,964

Post#1131 » by Deeeez Knicks » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:24 pm

I could maybe see the Knicks making a move for CP3, but taking on that contract would be a big mistake unless we are getting some nice picks back.

If we want a vet PG, sign DJ Augustine or Dragic for 1 year instead.
Mavs
C: Timelord | Paul Reed | M Brown
PF: Sabonis | Lauri Markkanen
SF: Lebron | Lauri Markkanen
SG: DWhite | Lonnie Walker | Shake | Ty Jerome
PG: VanFleet | Tre Jones | Rose | Deuce
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#1132 » by br7knicks » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:02 pm

Deeeez Knicks wrote:I could maybe see the Knicks making a move for CP3, but taking on that contract would be a big mistake unless we are getting some nice picks back.

If we want a vet PG, sign DJ Augustine or Dragic for 1 year instead.

I get the reason into bringing CP3 to NY. But it makes zero sense, from a long term franchise standpoint, to take on a **** contract without compensation by means of young talent or FRP(s)
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#1133 » by Richard4444 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:39 pm

I am also against signing CP3 (we would have to give away assets for sure). But I am trying to make piece with his possible signing to not get disappointed later.

Its definitely better to bring a FA vet like Dragic or DJ Augustine. Even better to sign Fred for a reasonable deal (15-20M),

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Jeff Van Gully
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 24,868

Post#1134 » by Jeff Van Gully » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:40 pm

bleedblue3303 wrote:
HarthorneWingo wrote:
Capn'O wrote:

I think New York would love him. I heard people say he has the intensity of a Kevin Garnett. New York would eat that up. we would love it.

y'all would put harry at the 4? backup 4/5?
RIP magnumt

welcome home, thibs.
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#1135 » by Richard4444 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:08 pm

KnicksGadfly wrote:
Capn'O wrote:
BowlRips wrote:

You crazy bro. I propose:

1+1 contract.
1 year 10 million
1 year team option 10 million

I would have gone up to 15 million but Giles plays defense and we can't have that here. We're trying to build a tough gritty New York team

Its too much to get Giles. He has just 96 games in his NBA career averaging 15m/game. He had too much injuries. He has a lot of potential but it a risky hiring. Contenders teams might avoid him to pursue more reliable options.

No one has cap space and team will be operating in red because the drop in revenue . There are too much bigs avaliable in this FA class. Ibaka, Whiteside, Gasol, Milsap, Favors, Harrel, Noel, Baynes, Tristan, Vonleh, Wood, Bertans, Grant, Galo, Morris Brothers, Mason Plumlee, Byombo, Mahimi, Meyers Leonard, O Quinn, Howard, Len, WCS, Zizic, Willy, Marvin Williams. Maybe Portis, Taj, Poetl, Kamminsky, Saric. Skall, Muscala, Thon Maker, Boucher, Fall.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
BowlRips
Lead Assistant

Post#1136 » by BowlRips » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:23 pm

Posted this on the trade board, but figured I'd repost here. I'm all about having options

My Knicks off-season:

Draft:
Draft Deni with the 7th pick
Draft Tre Jones with 27th pick

FA:

Sign Gallo 1 year 22mil with 2nd year team option
Sign Joe Haris 1 year 18mil with 2nd year team option
Melo 1 year room midlevel at 5mil
Taj resigns at vet minimum

Trade:
Randle, Knox, DSJ and Dallas 2023 1st for CP3

2020 Lineup:
Mitch/Taj
Gallo/Melo
RJ/Deni
Joe Harris/Frank
CP3/Tre Jones

Outlook:
Vet team that could play well together and bring the Knicks back tor respectability and still maintains a young core (Mitch, RJ, Deni, Frank, Tre)

Go into 2021 offseason with options:
Can run it back and have 2 first round picks in 2021(their own and Dallas) and a completely clean cap sheet in the 2022 offseason

OR

See what 2021 FA are willing to bite with a "foundation" in place. Assuming you decline the player options and the 2021 picks are in the teens, Knicks would be looking at $44mil of space before CP3's player option.
If CP3 and Leon Rose's relationship is as strong as I think it is, I can see him agreeing to some type of blend and extend to facilate FA signings. If CP3 is at $20mil, then looking at $68mil of room. Can they get 2 stars to bite?
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#1137 » by Richard4444 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:23 pm

BowlRips wrote:Posted this on the trade board, but figured I'd repost here. I'm all about having options

My Knicks off-season:

Draft:

FA:

Trade:

2020 Lineup:
Mitch/Taj
Gallo/Melo
RJ/Deni
Joe Harris/Frank
CP3/Tre Jones

Outlook:
Vet team that could play well together and bring the Knicks back tor respectability and still maintains a young core (Mitch, RJ, Deni, Frank, Tre)

Can run it back and have 2 first round picks in 2021(their own and Dallas) and a completely clean cap sheet in the 2022 offseason

OR

See what 2021 FA are willing to bite with a "foundation" in place. Assuming you decline the player options and the 2021 picks are in the teens, Knicks would be looking at $44mil of space before CP3's player option.
If CP3 and Leon Rose's relationship is as strong as I think it is, I can see him agreeing to some type of blend and extend to facilate FA signings. If CP3 is at $20mil, then looking at $68mil of room. Can they get 2 stars to bite?

1) I will be very surprised if Deni lasts to the 7th pick. He is balling right now. This draft lacks wings. And everybody wants wings (It is easier to fit wings in a team than PG and Bigs).

2) Galo will not demand so much. If we get CP3, I doubt OKC would pay 20M to keep Gallo and harm their tanking. And almost anyone has cap space. I think 15-18M range is more reasonable price. If he refuses we can prioritize other options (Bertans/Grant/Wood).

3) I think Harris is a little overpriced too. Although he may demand 4 years deal. Nets could avoid a salty luxury tax bill and low ball him. I see him in Atlanta. Even in Detroit or Charlote. He is under 30 and could not mind play for a no contender. There are others shooters in the market. We could try to sign and trade Malik or Bogdan. Korkmaz and Justin Holiday are 2 cheaper options. Both is hitting 40% from 3 in a good volume shotting. Is Joe so much better than them.

4) Dallas 23 protected and 3 unwanted players is a fair proposition for CP3. But I think OKC would pass on it. They have no rush to sell CP3 who is helping the team. They would at least demand one more pick (LAC or Dallas 21) and maybe Frank in the package.

5) I cant get excited about Melo back. He may harm the evolution of ours young players. And he is not a first or second option anymore. If he return, he should accept the minimum. We already overpayed him in his second contract.

6) Tre Jones is a good choice at 27. But I would try to move up and grab Kira, Cole or Terry. They have more potential as a PG starter.

7) Taj is a really great signing at the minimum. Its crazy to give him 10M deal in this scenario. Last year he averaged only 16,5 minuts a game. He only more than 24 minutes 4 times. I dont think he have stamina to be a regular rotation player with 35 year, Especially in a Thibs team. Especially to back up Mitch "foul out" Robinson.

8) But its pretty much what we need: 3 great players to our start team (wing, Stretch 4 and PG), 2 high potential draftees (PG and a wing) for the long rum. And couple of affordable vets to our bench.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
BowlRips
Lead Assistant

Post#1138 » by BowlRips » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:50 pm

Richard4444 wrote:
BowlRips wrote:Posted this on the trade board, but figured I'd repost here. I'm all about having options

My Knicks off-season:

Draft:

FA:

Trade:

2020 Lineup:
Mitch/Taj
Gallo/Melo
RJ/Deni
Joe Harris/Frank
CP3/Tre Jones

Outlook:

OR

1) I will be very surprised if Deni lasts to the 7th pick. He is balling right now. This draft lacks wings. And everybody wants wings (It is easier to fit wings in a team than PG and Bigs).

2) Galo will not demand so much. If we get CP3, I doubt OKC would pay 20M to keep Gallo and harm their tanking. And almost anyone has cap space. I think 15-18M range is more reasonable price. If he refuses we can prioritize other options (Bertans/Grant/Wood).

3) I think Harris is a little overpriced too. Although he may demand 4 years deal. Nets could avoid a salty luxury tax bill and low ball him. I see him in Atlanta. Even in Detroit or Charlote. He is under 30 and could not mind play for a no contender. There are others shooters in the market. We could try to sign and trade Malik or Bogdan. Korkmaz and Justin Holiday are 2 cheaper options. Both is hitting 40% from 3 in a good volume shotting. Is Joe so much better than them.

4) Dallas 23 protected and 3 unwanted players is a fair proposition for CP3. But I think OKC would pass on it. They have no rush to sell CP3 who is helping the team. They would at least demand one more pick (LAC or Dallas 21) and maybe Frank in the package.

5) I cant get excited about Melo back. He may harm the evolution of ours young players. And he is not a first or second option anymore. If he return, he should accept the minimum. We already overpayed him in his second contract.

6) Tre Jones is a good choice at 27. But I would try to move up and grab Kira, Cole or Terry. They have more potential as a PG starter.

7) Taj is a really great signing at the minimum. Its crazy to give him 10M deal in this scenario. Last year he averaged only 16,5 minuts a game. He only more than 24 minutes 4 times. I dont think he have stamina to be a regular rotation player with 35 year, Especially in a Thibs team. Especially to back up Mitch "foul out" Robinson.

8) But its pretty much what we need: 3 great players to our start team (wing, Stretch 4 and PG), 2 high potential draftees (PG and a wing) for the long rum. And couple of affordable vets to our bench.

overpaying Harris and Gallo year 1 to get team options on the second year.. think both those players would contribute to winning and within the team game, unlike our FA signings of 2019.

Check the Windhorst article today about the state of the teams finances. Teams like OKC are going to look to save any amount of money possible. If you could save OKC $10mil today and potentially $40mil in 2021 and give them a few small assets, I think they'd have to highly consider it
Richard4444
General Manager

Post#1139 » by Richard4444 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:52 pm

BowlRips wrote:
Richard4444 wrote:

My Knicks off-season:

Draft:

FA:

Trade:

2020 Lineup:
Mitch/Taj
Gallo/Melo
RJ/Deni
Joe Harris/Frank
CP3/Tre Jones

Outlook:

OR

overpaying Harris and Gallo year 1 to get team options on the second year.. think both those players would contribute to winning and within the team game, unlike our FA signings of 2019.

Check the Windhorst article today about the state of the teams finances. Teams like OKC are going to look to save any amount of money possible. If you could save OKC $10mil today and potentially $40mil in 2021 and give them a few small assets, I think they'd have to highly consider it

OKC owe around 106M to the next season (if they rennounce MLE and dont try to re-sign Gallo). They dont need to trade CP3 now. That payroll is not too far away than the salary cap projection.

They have to pay 90% of salary cap (around 90-100 M) one way or another.

They also could sell their late FRPs to save around 1,5M to be more cheap.

They could trade 15M Schroeder expiring contract too. CP3 maybe is more important to OKC right now than Dennis.

Maybe Dennis it could be more useful to the Knciks. He has improved his 3pt shooting and will not hurt our cap space to next year. His younger and less injury risky than CP3. And maybe we can adquire him for free.

If the market will be this hard to small market teams, we also could get more profitable uses for the 41M CP3 Cap hit.

If OKC really wants to save money. They can refuse get back Randle, Dennis and Knox. Getting their salary back would reduce the OKC savings to only 12M.

CP3 signing is a high risky investment due to injuries. And bring a high opportunity cost to us. We could get salary dumps for picks or sign good younger players for cheap.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 7,422

Post#1140 » by Knick4Real » Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:38 pm

-YogiBiz- wrote:
Knick4Real wrote:

CP3/Nico/Lamar Peters
Lavine/Ramsay/Lee
RJ/Iggy/Carrol
Gallo/MKG/Zeke
Mitch/Giles/Wooten

How does his shoe deal benefit the Knicks?

A $100 million shoe deal for LaMelo would instantly make him more high-profile -- which in turn, would also make the KNICKS more high-profile since any attention directed at him would also frequently include the team. A deal of that caliber could help get rid of the reputation that we're a joke franchise of bottom feeders and create the perception that we're a legit team with a bonafide "star" whose face (wearing a kNICKS jersey) would take over the media via his show marketing campaign and be seen everywhere.

Return to New York Knicks