Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,883

Re: Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#901 » by RiotPunch » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:10 am

LuessiT wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:Forgot to mention Hampton as maybe the biggest athlete + motor guy, but he has really bad defensive IQ and the shot leaves a lot to be desired.

Saddiq you at least know what you're getting. A maxed out Nova product, smart player and can really shoot it. I think he is pretty strictly an NBA 4 though, do not see him hanging with NBA wings at all, despite his intelligence level.

Imo Hampton improved a lot defensively over the year. TBF given where he was at it couldn't get any worse but I like how his motor picked up big time. It's a long way to go but I don't see why he can't be an impactful defender.
What I really like about him is his vision and passing ability. Makes some very advanced reads on the fly.

Yeah, his passing is really encouraging. He has the tools to be pretty damn good. Really solid chance he'll be there for us too.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,976

Post#902 » by Badgerlander » Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:46 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Brought it up in another thread, but who's this draft's version of Dante?

Stylistically or in terms of readiness to contribute early?

Defensively, Bolmaro really reminds me of Donte. Relentless at POA, highly anticipatory jumping passing lanes, just produces extra possessions with effort and IQ. On offense, they differ a bit, as Bolmaro is a far superior initiator and Donte is the better shooter (at the moment).

Other guys that would fit in seamlessly and likely earn PT early would be Haliburton, Maxey, PatWill, Bane.

Haliburton was my pie in the sky hope back in October. Then it was Vassell, and now they're both seemingly way out of range.

Ready made traits is what I'm thinking.

Athletic, high energy, high BBIQ, doesn't need the ball to be a winning player. Jump shot is preferred.

Yeah I think the guy you are looking at is Bane. Not as athletic but strong and physically ready to play in the NBA right now. High energy, never stops moving on offense. High BBIQ, plays great position defense and reading the other team. Fantastic shooter and can do EVERYTHING off the ball. His skill set is tailor made for a JJ Redick type role. Can shoot off the dribble and run simple PnR. Wingspan and lateral quickness have people saying his ceiling might be a role player but I think he compensates using his strength and IQ. I’d bet on him being in the rotation right away.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18-1Xe4b0UwVneqx4N0hL0lB3QzafKut-3l_D2Ci-fko/mobilebasic
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
LuessiT
RealGM
And1: 4,686

Post#903 » by LuessiT » Sat Jul 25, 2020 1:38 pm

Badgerlander wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:Stylistically or in terms of readiness to contribute early?

Defensively, Bolmaro really reminds me of Donte. Relentless at POA, highly anticipatory jumping passing lanes, just produces extra possessions with effort and IQ. On offense, they differ a bit, as Bolmaro is a far superior initiator and Donte is the better shooter (at the moment).

Other guys that would fit in seamlessly and likely earn PT early would be Haliburton, Maxey, PatWill, Bane.

Haliburton was my pie in the sky hope back in October. Then it was Vassell, and now they're both seemingly way out of range.

Athletic, high energy, high BBIQ, doesn't need the ball to be a winning player. Jump shot is preferred.

Yeah I think the guy you are looking at is Bane. Not as athletic but strong and physically ready to play in the NBA right now. High energy, never stops moving on offense. High BBIQ, plays great position defense and reading the other team. Fantastic shooter and can do EVERYTHING off the ball. His skill set is tailor made for a JJ Redick type role. Can shoot off the dribble and run simple PnR. Wingspan and lateral quickness have people saying his ceiling might be a role player but I think he compensates using his strength and IQ. I’d bet on him being in the rotation right away.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

https://docs.google.com/document/d/18-1Xe4b0UwVneqx4N0hL0lB3QzafKut-3l_D2Ci-fko/mobilebasic

I really don't see that at all. Imo Bane is mostly a C&S guy at the next level that can make some plays and guard two positions relatively well. For those that are him in the Korver/JJ role you better have him as a top 10 pick.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Indiana Pacers Draft Pick Watch Thread 

Post#904 » by M-C-G » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:54 pm

LuessiT wrote:
Badgerlander wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I really don't see that at all. Imo Bane is mostly a C&S guy at the next level that can make some plays and guard two positions relatively well. For those that are him in the Korver/JJ role you better have him as a top 10 pick.

you can have someone in the Korver role
without them being a top 10 pick and without thinking they will ever be Korver.

At this point I am hoping Pat Williams falls. If not I’ll happily take Bane. If those guys are both gone I would tile the dice with Bolarmo and see what our training staff can do with him athletically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#905 » by Badgerlander » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:06 pm

LuessiT wrote:
Badgerlander wrote:Yeah I think the guy you are looking at is Bane. Not as athletic but strong and physically ready to play in the NBA right now. High energy, never stops moving on offense. High BBIQ, plays great position defense and reading the other team. Fantastic shooter and can do EVERYTHING off the ball. His skill set is tailor made for a JJ Redick type role. Can shoot off the dribble and run simple PnR. Wingspan and lateral quickness have people saying his ceiling might be a role player but I think he compensates using his strength and IQ. I’d bet on him being in the rotation right away.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Redick was drafted 11th, Korver 51st, DDV 17th, Brogdon 36th. Hollinger and Chad Ford did a 2018 redraft and took Donte 9th, and in their 2016 redraft took Brogdon 6th (Buddy Heild 7th).

DDV College shot chart
Bane shot chart
DDV scouting
Primarily a jump shooter with almost half of his attempts in the half court coming in the form of catch and shoot jump shots from the perimeter. Reliable set shooter who averaged 1.091 points per catch and shoot jump shot [63rd percentile]. Has textbook mechanics and a pretty quick release, but room to improve his consistency spotting up and from the foul line as he gains experience. Provides valuable floor spacing. Can also attack closeouts with a strong first step and convincing shot fakes.
Plays a very efficient floor game. 13% of his possessions came in the Pick & Roll with another 8% coming on Hand Offs. Showed the ability to stop and pop with impressive range. Scored 1.060 points per dribble jump shot [90th percentile] last season making one-dribble jumpers from the midrange and deep jumpers off of hang dribbles at a terrific rate. Showed an ability to run extremely hot from the perimeter coming off the bench most nights. Does not waste a lot of dribbles to create jump shots and shows some potential as a facilitator making reads and delivering the ball with good timing. Changes speeds well.
Doesn’t do a lot of scoring as a slasher, but will take what the defense gives him probing the lane. Scored 1.169 points per shot around the rim in the half court [60th percentile] last season taking the ball up strong, finishing above the rim on the move, and handling contact well. Scored at a strong rate pushing the ball in transition as well.

Bane scouting
Playing both on and off the ball for the Horned Frogs, Bane made shots steadily from the perimeter, took what defenses gave him off the dribble, and made the simple play as a passer in his first year operating out of ball screens regularly. A diligent player who finds some easy opportunities sprinting the floor in transition and even crashing the glass, he had an efficient year despite the challenges his role presented.

Doing much of his damage from the perimeter, Bane has slightly unorthodox shooting mechanics that are nonetheless extremely reliable. Scoring 1.13 points per catch and shoot jump shot in the half court [77th percentile] and 1.07 points per dribble jump shot in the half court [92nd percentile] he shot the ball exceedingly well from beyond the arc in spot up situations, but steadily made shots running off of screens and dribbling off of picks as well. He showed dramatic improvement as a pull-up shooter as a senior making several deep shots off step backs and rhythm dribbles late in the shot clock.

Moving the ball well as a passer, Bane is an unselfish player who is not overly dynamic as a ball handler but sees the floor well and rarely tries to do too much.

Scoring 1.01 points per shot around the rim in the half court [33rd percentile], he flashed tremendous touch on his floater and embraced contact, but is more strong than explosive as a slasher.

Spot Up %POS-22.3% PTS/POS-1.149 %RANK-91st

Pick & Roll %POS-22.1% PTS/POS-0.858 %RANK-76th

Off Screen %POS-18.9% PTS/POS-0.938 %RANK-62nd

Transition %POS-15.4% PTS/POS-1.000 %RANK-50th

Most of Redick’s weaknesses revolve around the characteristics that are usually expected from prototypical shooting guards in the NBA, and the fact that players in his mold have seen limited success in the NBA over the past 10 years or more.

First would be his size. At 6-4, Redick is below average for an NBA shooting guard. In today’s NBA we find very few starting caliber 2-guards at his height, and even those are usually players with superior athleticism compared with what Redick displays at the moment. His wingspan does not make up for his lack of height either.

Second would be his athletic ability. Despite not being a poor athlete, Redick does not fit your typical mold of extremely quick and explosive shooting guards who are able to blow by their man at will and get up and dunk in the face of 7-footers with authority. His footspeed is just average, as is his leaping ability, and therefore there will be questions he will have to answer about his ability to translate his incredible scoring ability to the NBA where defenders are generally bigger, stronger, longer and quite a bit more athletic than the players he usually goes up against in the NCAA. Redick is not a player who needs much space, if any, to get his shot off effectively. Still, there will be people along the road who look at his average physical attributes, skin color and the lack of similar players with his characteristics and doubt how successful he will be at what he does once he reaches the NBA level.

Being a good, but not a great ball-handler, Redick is not a player who can create his own shot at will without some help from his teammates and a smart coach’s game plan, and therefore might not be able to fit seamlessly into any NBA system. The team that drafts him will need to take advantage of his strengths and be prepared to do what it takes to mask his weaknesses, which means calling plays for him to make sure he gets involved, ideally as a 2nd or 3rd option offensively. A stubborn coach who does not realize what a weapon he has on his hands and is foolish enough to not make the proper adjustments to utilize them would be a clear recipe for disaster both for him and his team. Redick would be greatly aided by playing with either an excellent point guard who can penetrate the lane, force the defense to collapse and kick the ball out to him in a position to use his outstanding stroke and/or a back to the basket big man who draws double-teams and is able to pass out of them to find the open man after the defense shifts.

One part of his game where his weaknesses will almost surely be exposed is on the defensive end. Redick is just an average defender at the NCAA level already, and this is an area where things can only get worse in the NBA. His lack of height likely means that many 6-7 shooting guards will be able to just elevate over the top of him to get their shot off, while his lack of lateral quickness could make it tough for him to stay in front of his man

- Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/J.J.-Redick-NBA-Draft-Scouting-Report-2698/ ©DraftExpress

Spoiler:

LuessiT
RealGM

Post#906 » by LuessiT » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:07 pm

M-C-G wrote:
LuessiT wrote:
Badgerlander wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

At this point I am hoping Pat Williams falls. If not I’ll happily take Bane. If those guys are both gone I would tile the dice with Bolarmo and see what our training staff can do with him athletically.

Sure but he ain't Korver on defense either and he's a far better playmaker. Like if you think he can do 70% of what Korver does on offense I'm questioning why you don't have him in your top 10.
LuessiT
RealGM

Post#907 » by LuessiT » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:44 pm

Badgerlander wrote:
LuessiT wrote:
Badgerlander wrote:Yeah I think the guy you are looking at is Bane. Not as athletic but strong and physically ready to play in the NBA right now. High energy, never stops moving on offense. High BBIQ, plays great position defense and reading the other team. Fantastic shooter and can do EVERYTHING off the ball. His skill set is tailor made for a JJ Redick type role. Can shoot off the dribble and run simple PnR. Wingspan and lateral quickness have people saying his ceiling might be a role player but I think he compensates using his strength and IQ. I’d bet on him being in the rotation right away.

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Redick was drafted 11th, Korver 51st, DDV 17th, Brogdon 36th. Hollinger and Chad Ford did a 2018 redraft and took Donte 9th, and in their 2016 redraft took Brogdon 6th (Buddy Heild 7th).

DDV College shot chart
Bane shot chart
DDV scouting
Primarily a jump shooter with almost half of his attempts in the half court coming in the form of catch and shoot jump shots from the perimeter. Reliable set shooter who averaged 1.091 points per catch and shoot jump shot [63rd percentile]. Has textbook mechanics and a pretty quick release, but room to improve his consistency spotting up and from the foul line as he gains experience. Provides valuable floor spacing. Can also attack closeouts with a strong first step and convincing shot fakes.
Plays a very efficient floor game. 13% of his possessions came in the Pick & Roll with another 8% coming on Hand Offs. Showed the ability to stop and pop with impressive range. Scored 1.060 points per dribble jump shot [90th percentile] last season making one-dribble jumpers from the midrange and deep jumpers off of hang dribbles at a terrific rate. Showed an ability to run extremely hot from the perimeter coming off the bench most nights. Does not waste a lot of dribbles to create jump shots and shows some potential as a facilitator making reads and delivering the ball with good timing. Changes speeds well.
Doesn’t do a lot of scoring as a slasher, but will take what the defense gives him probing the lane. Scored 1.169 points per shot around the rim in the half court [60th percentile] last season taking the ball up strong, finishing above the rim on the move, and handling contact well. Scored at a strong rate pushing the ball in transition as well.

Bane scouting
Playing both on and off the ball for the Horned Frogs, Bane made shots steadily from the perimeter, took what defenses gave him off the dribble, and made the simple play as a passer in his first year operating out of ball screens regularly. A diligent player who finds some easy opportunities sprinting the floor in transition and even crashing the glass, he had an efficient year despite the challenges his role presented.

Doing much of his damage from the perimeter, Bane has slightly unorthodox shooting mechanics that are nonetheless extremely reliable. Scoring 1.13 points per catch and shoot jump shot in the half court [77th percentile] and 1.07 points per dribble jump shot in the half court [92nd percentile] he shot the ball exceedingly well from beyond the arc in spot up situations, but steadily made shots running off of screens and dribbling off of picks as well. He showed dramatic improvement as a pull-up shooter as a senior making several deep shots off step backs and rhythm dribbles late in the shot clock.

Moving the ball well as a passer, Bane is an unselfish player who is not overly dynamic as a ball handler but sees the floor well and rarely tries to do too much.

Scoring 1.01 points per shot around the rim in the half court [33rd percentile], he flashed tremendous touch on his floater and embraced contact, but is more strong than explosive as a slasher.

Spot Up %POS-22.3% PTS/POS-1.149 %RANK-91st

Pick & Roll %POS-22.1% PTS/POS-0.858 %RANK-76th

Off Screen %POS-18.9% PTS/POS-0.938 %RANK-62nd

Transition %POS-15.4% PTS/POS-1.000 %RANK-50th

Most of Redick’s weaknesses revolve around the characteristics that are usually expected from prototypical shooting guards in the NBA, and the fact that players in his mold have seen limited success in the NBA over the past 10 years or more.

First would be his size. At 6-4, Redick is below average for an NBA shooting guard. In today’s NBA we find very few starting caliber 2-guards at his height, and even those are usually players with superior athleticism compared with what Redick displays at the moment. His wingspan does not make up for his lack of height either.

Second would be his athletic ability. Despite not being a poor athlete, Redick does not fit your typical mold of extremely quick and explosive shooting guards who are able to blow by their man at will and get up and dunk in the face of 7-footers with authority. His footspeed is just average, as is his leaping ability, and therefore there will be questions he will have to answer about his ability to translate his incredible scoring ability to the NBA where defenders are generally bigger, stronger, longer and quite a bit more athletic than the players he usually goes up against in the NCAA. Redick is not a player who needs much space, if any, to get his shot off effectively. Still, there will be people along the road who look at his average physical attributes, skin color and the lack of similar players with his characteristics and doubt how successful he will be at what he does once he reaches the NBA level.

Being a good, but not a great ball-handler, Redick is not a player who can create his own shot at will without some help from his teammates and a smart coach’s game plan, and therefore might not be able to fit seamlessly into any NBA system. The team that drafts him will need to take advantage of his strengths and be prepared to do what it takes to mask his weaknesses, which means calling plays for him to make sure he gets involved, ideally as a 2nd or 3rd option offensively. A stubborn coach who does not realize what a weapon he has on his hands and is foolish enough to not make the proper adjustments to utilize them would be a clear recipe for disaster both for him and his team. Redick would be greatly aided by playing with either an excellent point guard who can penetrate the lane, force the defense to collapse and kick the ball out to him in a position to use his outstanding stroke and/or a back to the basket big man who draws double-teams and is able to pass out of them to find the open man after the defense shifts.

One part of his game where his weaknesses will almost surely be exposed is on the defensive end. Redick is just an average defender at the NCAA level already, and this is an area where things can only get worse in the NBA. His lack of height likely means that many 6-7 shooting guards will be able to just elevate over the top of him to get their shot off, while his lack of lateral quickness could make it tough for him to stay in front of his man

- Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/J.J.-Redick-NBA-Draft-Scouting-Report-2698/ ©DraftExpress

Oh I'm not doubting Bayne will shoot high percentages from 3. I'm buying his shot at a high level. I'm saying given the speed of his release and his quickness that I don't see him creating enough separation to be a high volume shooter in the same mold of JJ or Korver. And I'm saying if you do think he will be, given his ability to make plays, given his level of defense and his ability to step on the NBA floor immediately he has to be in your top 10. Cam Johnson went #11 last year in a stronger draft and I think Bane is the significantly more useful player.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#908 » by Badgerlander » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:33 pm

LuessiT wrote:Oh I'm not doubting Bayne will shoot high percentages from 3. I'm buying his shot at a high level. I'm saying given the speed of his release and his quickness that I don't see him creating enough separation to be a high volume shooter in the same mold of JJ or Korver. And I'm saying if you do think he will be, given his ability to make plays, given his level of defense and his ability to step on the NBA floor immediately he has to be in your top 10. Cam Johnson went #11 last year in a stronger draft and I think Bane is the significantly more useful player.

Bane takes some W I L D attempts off the dribble, in a fairly horizontal offense and still scored in the 92nd %ile. Half court 3s? 92nd %ile. 70s for all c&s. 89th %ile for all jumpers, on 264 attempts. Chip theory of game shooting is ever present in conversations about unorthodox shooters, and Bane is an informative point in that dialogue. Here is a player who makes out good on all the conditions to which a shooter can self-organize into their jumper. Not a perfect looking shot, but their shot. Negative momentum, sprinting sideways, otd with the clock winding down - all of that. I feel at times that shooting versatility can be underrated on an aesthetic basis for shooters with unique mechanics - on the idea that “how he is gonna be able to get that off”. And the unlisted answer to that question is ‘by having **** awesome footwork and the ability to launch from tiny windows’. Bane’s form is consistent and he certainly is strong enough to pull from very deep, but the footwork is the secret here. And that’s even before we consider that it is very likely the best playtype for Bane is running around setting screens (*shudders*), where defenders must choose between getting skinny to avoid being absolutely trucksticked or helping off an elite shooter who will be able to shake into open space.

I’d put him right around 20. I think that he can be successful in the role but I don’t think at an all star level. I think playing off the ball with Giannis probably makes things even easier offensively for him. His dribble is at about the same level as Brogdons was in college but Brogdon made a huge leap with it between the end of the college season and summer league. I think because he had his sights set on being a PG. Bane has the same length issues and lack of athleticism as Redick so quicker guys will go around him and longer guys will shoot over him. The nice part is that Bane is strong enough to play right away where it took Redick like 3 years of adding muscle to his frame to compete. I think Banes quick release and excellent footwork will get him buckets in the league. At the point where we are at we are probably looking at a 19 year old project with physical limitations like Maledon, Mannion, Madar, or a more developed guy with limitations like Bane or Riller. I’d probably be happy with any of them but if I’m making the decision right now
I’m leaning heavily towards Bane. That and our staff doesn’t necessarily have any kind of track record for developing young guys.

Spoiler:

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#909 » by M-C-G » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:21 am

LuessiT wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
LuessiT wrote:

Sure but he ain't Korver on defense either and he's a far better playmaker. Like if you think he can do 70% of what Korver does on offense I'm questioning why you don't have him in your top 10.

Great question, simple answer. I look at like five draft websites and look at players in our range. It’s been at least 3 or 4 years since I have made time to watch college basketball.

So in summary, because I don’t have the data to give a more complete answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#910 » by Badgerlander » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:32 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Spoiler:

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#911 » by Ruzious » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:35 pm

Badgerlander wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Ha! Lou Williams is the player I've been comparing Riller to. I think he'll be a really good 6th man - he'll be a great shot creator.

Btw, I love the posts on Bane here. They've convinced me he'd be a real good pick for the Bucks.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,883

Post#912 » by RiotPunch » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:22 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Badgerlander wrote:
Spoiler:
Read on Twitter
?s=21

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Ha! Lou Williams is the player I've been comparing Riller to. I think he'll be a really good 6th man - he'll be a great shot creator.

Btw, I love the posts on Bane here. They've convinced me he'd be a real good pick for the Bucks.

Riller is basically a less rapey post-injury Derrick Rose and I'm about that player being on my squad.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,660

Post#913 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:51 pm

Not sure I remember a later pick type prospect as universally loved than Riller. Not saying it's wrong but just interesting that EVERYONE seems to like this guy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,898

Post#914 » by buckboy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:00 pm

Badgerlander wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:Stylistically or in terms of readiness to contribute early?

Read on Twitter
?s=21

Shot reminds me of Dell Curry's. Clearly more athletic than Dell ever could've hope to have been.

Sign me up.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,363

Post#915 » by BucksFanSD » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:15 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:Not sure I remember a later pick type prospect as universally loved than Riller. Not saying it's wrong but just interesting that EVERYONE seems to like this guy.

True, but not everyone is enamored with him at pick #19.
DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Post#916 » by DrWood » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:20 am

M-C-G wrote:
LuessiT wrote:
Badgerlander wrote:

Read on Twitter
?s=21

I bet Bane has a really cool Covid mask.
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/202591683214266755/
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#917 » by Badgerlander » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:25 am

BucksFanSD wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Not sure I remember a later pick type prospect as universally loved than Riller. Not saying it's wrong but just interesting that EVERYONE seems to like this guy.

True, but not everyone is enamored with him at pick #19.

Yeah but most of the mocks are taking guys that are in the same tier and then looking at team needs. If Lewis, Williams, and Poku are off the board then I’d be fine with any of Maledon, Mannion, Madar, Bane, or Riller. Like here is Bleachers mock
28. Toronto Raptors: Grant Riller (Charleston, PG/SG, Senior)

Though Riller checks in at No. 16 on Bleacher Report's big board, age (23) and strength of schedule will work against his draft stock. All it takes is one team, however, and given Fred VanVleet's upcoming free agency and the Raptors' need at backup point guard, they could view Riller—one of the draft's most advanced shot-creators and efficient three-level scorers—as a value-pick target.

But here is their big board
16. Grant Riller (Charleston, PG, Senior)

A 23-year-old from the Colonial Athletic Association, Riller may have a tough time generating first-round interest. He's an obvious value-pick candidate in the 20-40 range. Through 132 career NCAA games, Riller averaged 18.7 points with a remarkable 61.6 true shooting percentage. He's one of the draft's most advanced shot-creators and finishers.

So really they have him ranked 16th but they are betting on him going 28th. Now it’s Bleacher Report but still

Spoiler:

Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,557

Post#918 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:09 pm

To be fair that's probably the first mock I've seen describing him as a definite 1st rounder. Main questions are gonna revolve around how he's gonna fit in a supporting role given his usage and ball dominance as a college guard. Solid but not super efficient 3PT shooter on medium volume. Bit of a concerning AST/TO ratio. Is he just a chucker combo guard? Is he a plus defender at the next level? Etc.
Badgerlander
RealGM

Post#919 » by Badgerlander » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:07 pm

https://www.thestepien.com/2020/03/30/case-grant-riller/

Before diving into Riller’s defense, let’s finish up touching on how talented of an offensive player he is and compare his numbers historically. Since 2008, there has been four college guards* who have met the following filters:

Height: 6’0” – 6’6” (re: guards*)

USG% > 32

TS% > 60

STL% > 2.5

While Riller is at the bottom of this list when sorting by BPM, that’s some very impressive company. It’s always a bit tougher trying to figure out how successful mid-major players can be in the NBA because of the competition they are playing against, but Riller has been able to maintain elite efficiency with very high usage.

Spoiler:

LuessiT
RealGM

Post#920 » by LuessiT » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:18 pm

http://www.bourbonstreetshots.com/2020/07/28/what-is-the-best-way-to-draft/

Although nothing revolutionary this was a pretty good read.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks