ImageImageImageImageImage

Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

HeadtopChunes
Head Coach
And1: 10,224

Re: Raps 2020 Picks (Prospect Watch, Update: Vecenie Mock Released) 

Post#2041 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:15 am

I would prioritize half-court creation over a defensive fit. Because that's really our biggest weakness

Its why I like guys like Maledon and Maxey for this team that satisfy both.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#2042 » by casual_raps_fan » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:51 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:I would prioritize half-court creation over a defensive fit. Because that's really our biggest weakness

Patrick Williams could fit the bill.
casual_raps_fan
Pro Prospect
And1: 616

Post#2043 » by casual_raps_fan » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:06 am

Raptorfan2012 wrote:https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29544380/nba-owners-current-financial-turmoil-portends-future-payroll-problems

"I suspect first-round picks will be for sale in this draft," one team executive said. "We haven't really seen that in a decade." The last first-round pick to be sold was in 2013 by the Denver Nuggets (the Utah Jazz selected Rudy Gobert at 27th).

Masai should be rubbing his hands in delight. With a weaker draft, teams may be more willing to sell their picks. Hopefully MLSE spends some of their Championship-run cash and net us a few more young talent; we can use some cheap talent with guys like FVV, Ibaka, Gasol, and Norm hitting FA soon.

I'm looking for possible trade partners.

I really doubt that the 76ers or Celtics will make a deal with the Raptors.

The Wolves have 2 first round picks and a second round pick.

The Kings have a first round pick and 2 second round picks.

The Pelicans have a first round pick and 2 second round picks.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2044 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:22 am

casual_raps_fan wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:I would prioritize half-court creation over a defensive fit. Because that's really our biggest weakness

Patrick Williams could fit the bill.

Williams is weird because while he's pretty athletic run/jump, he's pretty a poor mover in space. I dont think he can switch multiple positions right now, but given his age+mega muscle mass, it might be fixable. Sadly, that lies outside my area of expertise (IDK much about fixing muscle imbalances)

Offensivley, he might be able to run some PnR vs a scarmbled D already, some potential there for sure.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#2045 » by Psubs » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:32 pm

Any chance RJ Hampton drops to #28?

Taller Anfernee Simons?

Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,213

Post#2046 » by Dalek » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:43 pm

I agree with half-court creation being a big need for Toronto. It is why I would think they would love to get a guy like Tyrell Terry who can create and actually has good defensive principles and analytics to prove it. The issue is he is likely not physically ready for the NBA, yet. His stick is all-over the map, so I have no clue if he is in Toronto's range.

On the flipside, I think Skylar Mays satisfies the need for creation - while he doesn't have the burst of a Maxey, he is a crafty player like FVV who is a strong defender (think Marcus Smart type of defense). I keep thinking that Mays led LSU last year, being a main focal point of their offense, while being an Academic All-American in medicine. Imagine if Mays was doing basketball full-time.
super_balls
Starter
And1: 1,837

Post#2047 » by super_balls » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:22 pm

Dalek wrote:

I agree with half-court creation being a big need for Toronto. It is why I would think they would love to get a guy like Tyrell Terry who can create and actually has good defensive principles and analytics to prove it. The issue is he is likely not physically ready for the NBA, yet. His stick is all-over the map, so I have no clue if he is in Toronto's range.

On the flipside, I think Skylar Mays satisfies the need for creation - while he doesn't have the burst of a Maxey, he is a crafty player like FVV who is a strong defender (think Marcus Smart type of defense). I keep thinking that Mays led LSU last year, being a main focal point of their offense, while being an Academic All-American in medicine. Imagine if Mays was doing basketball full-time.

My hope for each pick -

1st round: we get one of Tyler Bey or Paul Reed

2nd round: one of Skylar Mays or Karim Mane (Riller too but I doubt he drops this far) I can settle for Paul Eboua as well.
Syd-TK3
RealGM
And1: 17,580

Post#2048 » by Syd-TK3 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:25 pm

Psubs wrote:Any chance RJ Hampton drops to #28?

Taller Anfernee Simons?

Very unlikely. I haven't seen any mocks/boards with him that low and he's pretty hyped up

Also he's not really like Simons he doesn't have the shooting. He's much more Dante exum type
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2049 » by HeadtopChunes » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:33 pm

Dalek wrote:

Terry is interesting offensively for sure, but definitely a project. Defensively hard to see him ever being a postive.

Mays I haven’t finished scouting yet but I wasn’t a fan when I watched him in season (or anyone on LSU for that matter tbh)
Dalek
RealGM
And1: 9,213

Post#2050 » by Dalek » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:02 am

/edit Just realized the two picks almost perfectly rhyme:

Skylar /Tyler
Mays / Bey
Psubs
RealGM

Post#2051 » by Psubs » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:15 am

Dalek wrote:/edit Just realized the two picks almost perfectly rhyme:

Skylar /Tyler
Mays / Bey

How did you miss Bey and Bey? Imagine getting both and bringing back Bebe... :o
Psubs
RealGM

Post#2052 » by Psubs » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:41 pm

I'd go with Isaac Okoro, Nico Mannion, Tyrese Maxey, being players that might get drafter way too high. Cole Anthony too. I think he should be in the 20's.

Is Tyrese Maxey the next Malik Monk?
Is Pokusevski the next Bol Bol?

In the video, he picks Haliburton. I think he'll be at least Delon Wright. Maybe he could be like Brogdon.

https://www.raptorshq.com/2020/7/28/21344597/nba-draft-2020-mock-draft-toronto-raptors-prospects-review-first-round

I see Carey similar to Zach Randolph being drafted #19. It took ZBo until his 3rd year to contribute. At worst I think he'll be a more athletic Greg Monroe with possible 3-pt shooting. Carey just needs to get more fit and get down to say 250-255 lbs. He doesn't look fat like Jahlil Okafor.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2053 » by HeadtopChunes » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:18 pm

Psubs wrote:

I'd go with Isaac Okoro, Nico Mannion, Tyrese Maxey, being players that might get drafter way too high. Cole Anthony too. I think he should be in the 20's.

In the video, he picks Haliburton. I think he'll be at least Delon Wright. Maybe he could be like Brogdon.

https://www.raptorshq.com/2020/7/28/21344597/nba-draft-2020-mock-draft-toronto-raptors-prospects-review-first-round

I see Carey similar to Zach Randolph being drafted #19. It took ZBo until his 3rd year to contribute. At worst I think he'll be a more athletic Greg Monroe with possible 3-pt shooting. Carey just needs to get more fit and get down to say 250-255 lbs. He doesn't look fat like Jahlil Okafor.

Agree with Okoro being too high, but i have Maxey and Cole both top 10.

Maxey being the next Monk would probably be a good outcome (hopefully no drugs tho lol), I think Monk is a very underrated young player rn.

I do believe Carey is an NBA level offensive player, and his athleticism isn't a problem as a drop big type. but his defensive awarness/motor is so bad. Even Jah wasn't targeted in college. Duke banked on his rim protection making them a good defense and it just didn't happen this year.

I think i'd rather have Oturu than Carey, Oturu is similarly productive on offense (although not as good rn) but more mobile on D, probably more to work with there. That being said i wouldn't take either in the first.
Brinbe
RealGM
And1: 35,477

Post#2054 » by Brinbe » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:19 pm

This looks like a very flat draft. A lot of guys that I think can play and have a role in this league stretching way into the 2nd round. And really not a lot separating the very top from the bottom imo. Good to have multiple late picks. I trust Masai and Co to scrounge up some good future contributors.

Give me someone like Chris Smith

Or roll the dice on a Jaden McDaniels

Guys with good tools that aren't wholly there yet. Buy low and let them cook in our development system and reap the rewards.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#2055 » by Psubs » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:42 pm

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Psubs wrote:

Agree with Okoro being too high, but i have Maxey and Cole both top 10.

Maxey being the next Monk would probably be a good outcome (hopefully no drugs tho lol), I think Monk is a very underrated young player rn.

I do believe Carey is an NBA level offensive player, and his athleticism isn't a problem as a drop big type. but his defensive awarness/motor is so bad. Even Jah wasn't targeted in college. Duke banked on his rim protection making them a good defense and it just didn't happen this year.

I think i'd rather have Oturu than Carey, Oturu is similarly productive on offense (although not as good rn) but more mobile on D, probably more to work with there. That being said i wouldn't take either in the first.

I think Oturu is at least Shelden Williams. Oturu at #28 is an okay gamble. I think he's a bigger version of Sagaba Konate.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2056 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:03 am

Read on Twitter

Can’t tell me he wouldn’t be a great fit here.
OGLife
Lead Assistant
And1: 12,892

Post#2057 » by OGLife » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:56 am

HeadtopChunes wrote:
Read on Twitter

He reminds me of a lot of McCaw.

I also don't see how you can put him, Davis and Powell on the court all together. He will need to spend a year on the 905 and work on his shot ability and his tunnel vision.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2058 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:47 am

OGLife wrote:
HeadtopChunes wrote:
Read on Twitter

He reminds me of a lot of McCaw.

I also don't see how you can put him, Davis and Powell on the court all together. He will need to spend a year on the 905 and work on his shot ability and his tunnel vision.

I think he’s a better passer than he gets credit (for example he led the EYBL in AST/TO before Kentucky and was considered one of the best shooters in the class). He didn’t get to run much as an on-ball gaurd, due to Kentucky deciding to play through Hagans there (why idk Hagans is hot garbage). Could be another classic case of Kentucky hiding there players true talent (feels like it happens every year)

His handle and shot do need refinement but he’s got a pretty decent offensive celing if he hits. He’s a much better shooter/finisher than McCaw was. Would compare him to Jrue Holiday.

Throw in being arguably the best POA defender in the class and an effective defender off-ball too (if a little risk averse). Maxey has a lot of value in this class imo.
Psubs
RealGM

Post#2059 » by Psubs » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:11 am

OGLife wrote:He reminds me of a lot of McCaw.

Exactly. He's undersized and maybe tops out as an Avery Bradley. At least a De'Anthony Melton. Not saying he won't be a good rotational player but seems like he'll be a 6th/7th man. Would rather take a big unless the guard has stuff to be better than TD and Powell.
HeadtopChunes
Head Coach

Post#2060 » by HeadtopChunes » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:25 am

Psubs wrote:
OGLife wrote:He reminds me of a lot of McCaw.

Exactly. He's undersized and maybe tops out as an Avery Bradley. At least a De'Anthony Melton. Not saying he won't be a good rotational player but seems like he'll be a 6th/7th man. Would rather take a big unless the guard has stuff to be better than TD and Powell.

I think I disagree with everything here lol

Return to Toronto Raptors