Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,315

Re: OT | Cars 

Post#321 » by jute2003 » Fri Nov 9, 2018 12:41 am

jschligs wrote:
jute2003 wrote:
MissKhriddleton wrote:The reason I brought up buying new is because a 2018 Elantra goes for about 14K after rebates and such which seems crazy. I thought I heard they were just as reliable as Toyota. A 2 year old Camry/Corolla with 30,000 miles goes for more than that.
I'd bet on the Carolla still aging better.

My family has had Honda Accords for decades, most, if not all, have lasted a very very long time.
I think they're almost unbreakable again but I know early 2000s had transmission problems
only a fan, only an opinion
MissKhriddleton
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,053

Post#322 » by MissKhriddleton » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:17 pm

So I went to a Toyota dealer in Racine on Saturday. Test drove a 2018 Camry with less than 20,000 miles, they were asking 18K.

Then asked if I could test drive a Rav4. They had a 2015 with 30,000 miles for 18K, a 2016 with 30,000 miles for 19K, and by the end of it said they could offer me a brand new 2018 for 21.7K. They were all basic as far as extra features, but the 2018 comes with safety featues that the other 2 don't have.

Why would I not buy new assuming I was set on a Rav?
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 978

Post#323 » by Ryan5UW » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:03 am

MissKhriddleton wrote:So I went to a Toyota dealer in Racine on Saturday. Test drove a 2018 Camry with less than 20,000 miles, they were asking 18K.

Then asked if I could test drive a Rav4. They had a 2015 with 30,000 miles for 18K, a 2016 with 30,000 miles for 19K, and by the end of it said they could offer me a brand new 2018 for 21.7K. They were all basic as far as extra features, but the 2018 comes with safety featues that the other 2 don't have.

Just going off of what you said, yeah - absolutely I'd go with the new one. $2700 for 2 years newer, "0" miles and brand new? Definitely.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
jute2003
Lead Assistant

Post#324 » by jute2003 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:51 am

MissKhriddleton wrote:So I went to a Toyota dealer in Racine on Saturday. Test drove a 2018 Camry with less than 20,000 miles, they were asking 18K.

The used market is bonkers
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#325 » by ackypoo » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:54 am

jute2003 wrote:

*used suv
jute2003
Lead Assistant

Post#326 » by jute2003 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:56 am

ackypoo wrote:
jute2003 wrote:

*used suv
And trucks and anything somewhat desirable....
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,648

Post#327 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:56 pm

Curious if anyone has a Tesla and what your experience has been thus far. The long-term feedback on them places them just above Volvo for reliability (note: Volvo is last), and considering expensive batteries are involved, it gives me some pause.
IrishRainbow
Veteran
And1: 900

Post#328 » by IrishRainbow » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:19 pm

Anyone have experience(s) with ~2010 Audi A4? As I'm now driving from East Troy to Sussex daily, I'm in need of something a bit more MPG friendly than the 12-14 from the 'Burban. Itll be a 3rd vehicle so I'm trying to keep it under 10k yet still a 'nice' ride. What's the reliability and maintenance costs of these mid luxury sedans? Especially as they near 100k+. I hear better things of Audi than say Benz C class/BMW 3 series. Thx.

Sent from my SM-G965U using RealGM mobile app
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#329 » by sdn40 » Sat Mar 16, 2019 4:48 pm

IrishRainbow wrote:Anyone have experience(s) with ~2010 Audi A4? As I'm now driving from East Troy to Sussex daily, I'm in need of something a bit more MPG friendly than the 12-14 from the 'Burban. Itll be a 3rd vehicle so I'm trying to keep it under 10k yet still a 'nice' ride. What's the reliability and maintenance costs of these mid luxury sedans? Especially as they near 100k+. I hear better things of Audi than say Benz C class/BMW 3 series. Thx.

I have a 2006. Tightest car I've ever owned. Don't know that I would own one if I didn't have a former Audi dealer mechanic who now owns his own shop that cuts me a break if I pay cash. Google turbo for your particular year and see what comes up. I have to bleed my heater core twice a year or lose heat. A small plastic fin broke off inside the valve cover that caused major driving issues until we finally chased it down. Do not buy an A6 or A8.
All this being said, car recommendations are the most shot in the dark thing on the planet. Other than the universal, don't buy a Jeep
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#330 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:18 pm

Mega-bump.

Anyone have thoughts on either the BMW X1 or Volvo XC40?

I have a Honda Civic Hatchback right now, and I've come to love the hatch and all of the storage it affords. I also love driving a car as opposed to a hulking SUV. I don't have kids and never will. That said, I'm in the market for a new car and want to go up a notch, but hot hatches from the luxury brands are Europe/Asia-only, unfortunately. So before I shift focus to cars, I thought I'd try out the subcompact CUV segment.

I have a Volvo test drive on Friday, and am getting one scheduled for BMW. Open to thoughts from anyone.
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 171

Post#331 » by fam3381 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:52 am

MikeIsGood wrote:Curious if anyone has a Tesla and what your experience has been thus far. The long-term feedback on them places them just above Volvo for reliability (note: Volvo is last), and considering expensive batteries are involved, it gives me some pause.

I've had a 2019 Model 3 Performance since September of last year and have had a great experience so far, though it's definitely a different type of ownership experience (mostly good, in some ways not so). Teslas definitely are prone to fit and finish issues, though I've generally had a pretty hassle-free experience to date. A liner in one of the wheelwells came loose a couple months in so I scheduled a service visit on my phone and a service tech came to my house and fixed it under warranty. In terms of regular maintenance you're pretty much just paying for tires and washer fluid in terms of regular maintenance. I barely use the brakes because I drive with the regenerative braking on, so those should last 100k+ miles.The main battery pack doesn't degrade that much over time and has an 8-year, 120k mile warranty so that's probably the last thing I'd worry about; ironically the regular 12v battery is notoriously flimsy but that's a simple warranty replacement. I've heard varied accounts of Tesla Service -- a lot of early buyers complain it's gotten much worse as the company has scaled up but I can't really speak to that. The mere fact that you can get them to come to your house/office/etc to service most stuff is obviously nice. BigKurty has had a Model X for a couple years and I think he's had a much more annoying experience in terms of random stuff needing service.

In general I like the technology, minimalist aesthetic and green factor, but the main reason I bought the car was performance -- after the most recent software updates it has about 480 horsepower and does 0-60 in 3.0 seconds which is pretty crazy for a $55k car, especially one that has 4 doors, room for carseats, tons of storage and will save you money on gas. Autopilot (the adaptive cruise control which steers for you, automatic braking, etc) is great for roadtrips, but I didn't buy the "full self-driving" option ($6k last summer, now $8k) because IMO it's really just false advertising at this point...cool for party tricks like the "summon" feature, but I bought the car to drive it. In the next year it will hopefully become much more useful, but that just isn't as interesting to me as it is for most Tesla owners.

Overall it's definitely less convenient for roadtrips than a gas car because of the need to supercharge, but we have an SUV for that sort of stuff anyway and regular 200-mile work trips haven't been a big deal (still, I would not want to own 2 EVs at this point given the range factor at this point). I think the Model 3 is a great "no compromises" option as a daily driver if you have a garage and easy access to charging, but if you park on the street or in an apartment building with no charging access it becomes much more of a hassle unless you have a supercharger near by.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,898

Post#332 » by buckboy » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:19 pm

IrishRainbow wrote:Anyone have experience(s) with ~2010 Audi A4? As I'm now driving from East Troy to Sussex daily, I'm in need of something a bit more MPG friendly than the 12-14 from the 'Burban. Itll be a 3rd vehicle so I'm trying to keep it under 10k yet still a 'nice' ride. What's the reliability and maintenance costs of these mid luxury sedans? Especially as they near 100k+. I hear better things of Audi than say Benz C class/BMW 3 series. Thx.

Weird bump by me, but I just saw this today. I have an '08 A4 convertible with 108k on it. Very expensive to fix pretty much anything. Fortunately for me, I don't have to take it to a dealer for minor stuff like brakes because I have a guy. But when you get to stuff only the dealership can do, look out. $$$$$$.

I keep it as a summer car/3rd car like you're describing, so it isn't bad because it gets no miles on it to speak of, but be aware of the costs.
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#333 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:21 pm

fam3381 wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:Curious if anyone has a Tesla and what your experience has been thus far. The long-term feedback on them places them just above Volvo for reliability (note: Volvo is last), and considering expensive batteries are involved, it gives me some pause.

I've had a 2019 Model 3 Performance since September of last year and have had a great experience so far, though it's definitely a different type of ownership experience (mostly good, in some ways not so). Teslas definitely are prone to fit and finish issues, though I've generally had a pretty hassle-free experience to date. A liner in one of the wheelwells came loose a couple months in so I scheduled a service visit on my phone and a service tech came to my house and fixed it under warranty. In terms of regular maintenance you're pretty much just paying for tires and washer fluid in terms of regular maintenance. I barely use the brakes because I drive with the regenerative braking on, so those should last 100k+ miles.The main battery pack doesn't degrade that much over time and has an 8-year, 120k mile warranty so that's probably the last thing I'd worry about; ironically the regular 12v battery is notoriously flimsy but that's a simple warranty replacement. I've heard varied accounts of Tesla Service -- a lot of early buyers complain it's gotten much worse as the company has scaled up but I can't really speak to that. The mere fact that you can get them to come to your house/office/etc to service most stuff is obviously nice. BigKurty has had a Model X for a couple years and I think he's had a much more annoying experience in terms of random stuff needing service.

In general I like the technology, minimalist aesthetic and green factor, but the main reason I bought the car was performance -- after the most recent software updates it has about 480 horsepower and does 0-60 in 3.0 seconds which is pretty crazy for a $55k car, especially one that has 4 doors, room for carseats, tons of storage and will save you money on gas. Autopilot (the adaptive cruise control which steers for you, automatic braking, etc) is great for roadtrips, but I didn't buy the "full self-driving" option ($6k last summer, now $8k) because IMO it's really just false advertising at this point...cool for party tricks like the "summon" feature, but I bought the car to drive it. In the next year it will hopefully become much more useful, but that just isn't as interesting to me as it is for most Tesla owners.

Overall it's definitely less convenient for roadtrips than a gas car because of the need to supercharge, but we have an SUV for that sort of stuff anyway and regular 200-mile work trips haven't been a big deal (still, I would not want to own 2 EVs at this point given the range factor at this point). I think the Model 3 is a great "no compromises" option as a daily driver if you have a garage and easy access to charging, but if you park on the street or in an apartment building with no charging access it becomes much more of a hassle unless you have a supercharger near by.

Sorry, just seeing this. Thanks for the long-term feedback - I don't know anyone who has one so it's interesting to hear from someone familiar vs. YouTube videos. The part on roadtrips resonates with me.

Ironically, since I had mentioned the lower long-term reliability of Volvos in this post from a year ago, I ended up going with the Volvo XC40. There was one almost exactly what I wanted in the general area, and it should be ready for pickup Wednesday. I'm switching to a lease, so less concerned with long-term reliability, though it also seems improved in more recent models. With my situation - I get an itch for a new car every 2-3 years, and it's much more fiscally responsible where I live to lease in those scenarios given tax setup - switching to lease was a no-brainer.

I love the idea of electric, but living in Georgia and prone to make trips back to WI on occasion, I needed something that's not a pain to make that trip with - and I want something comfortable. This is ultimately why I didn't go electric (though looked at some hybrid electric/gas options), and went with the XC40 over a BMW (which I found slightly better to drive in the models I was looking at, but much less feature-filled and also less comfortable). I also WFH permanently, so mileage isn't a big deal to me outside of ideally wanting something green.

I'll post impressions once I have it and put it through some drives. I love my current car, but am ready for something new. My dad passed me the 'love getting new cars' gene :D
jute2003
Lead Assistant

Post#334 » by jute2003 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:24 am

MikeIsGood wrote:
fam3381 wrote:

Sorry, just seeing this. Thanks for the long-term feedback - I don't know anyone who has one so it's interesting to hear from someone familiar vs. YouTube videos. The part on roadtrips resonates with me.

Ironically, since I had mentioned the lower long-term reliability of Volvos in this post from a year ago, I ended up going with the Volvo XC40. There was one almost exactly what I wanted in the general area, and it should be ready for pickup Wednesday. I'm switching to a lease, so less concerned with long-term reliability, though it also seems improved in more recent models. With my situation - I get an itch for a new car every 2-3 years, and it's much more fiscally responsible where I live to lease in those scenarios given tax setup - switching to lease was a no-brainer.

I love the idea of electric, but living in Georgia and prone to make trips back to WI on occasion, I needed something that's not a pain to make that trip with - and I want something comfortable. This is ultimately why I didn't go electric (though looked at some hybrid electric/gas options), and went with the XC40 over a BMW (which I found slightly better to drive in the models I was looking at, but much less feature-filled and also less comfortable). I also WFH permanently, so mileage isn't a big deal to me outside of ideally wanting something green.

I'll post impressions once I have it and put it through some drives. I love my current car, but am ready for something new. My dad passed me the 'love getting new cars' gene :D
We switched to leases for my wife a couple cars ago. She also gets tired of cars relatively quickly and it made sense. I hope the volvo does everything you need it to. We had briefly considered an xc40 but wound up going a different direction.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,365

Post#335 » by M-C-G » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:31 am

Ford Bronco is back brings back memories of OJs low speed chase. So surreal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dbrodz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,223

Post#336 » by dbrodz7 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:52 am

ackypoo wrote:
jute2003 wrote:

*used suv

My wife has a 2008 Nissan Rogue that has broken AC they wanted $2,000 to fix, we spent $3,000-4,000 the last three years on repairs before the AC broke. Luckily, the COVID situation and work from home has allowed me to put off the replacement. She is currently pregnant with our first and we adopted a second dog in April, so getting a newer, larger vehicle is moving up the priority list. We are thinking a used 2017-2019 Pilot or Highlander. I've been price watching for months already and it seems like it's going to be around $27k no matter what if we want mid-tier trim level.
Misery loves company
ackypoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,355

Post#337 » by ackypoo » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:24 am

dbrodz7 wrote:
ackypoo wrote:
jute2003 wrote:The used market is bonkers

*used suv

My wife has a 2008 Nissan Rogue that has broken AC they wanted $2,000 to fix, we spent $3,000-4,000 the last three years on repairs before the AC broke. Luckily, the COVID situation and work from home has allowed me to put off the replacement. She is currently pregnant with our first and we adopted a second dog in April, so getting a newer, larger vehicle is moving up the priority list. We are thinking a used 2017-2019 Pilot or Highlander. I've been price watching for months already and it seems like it's going to be around $27k no matter what if we want mid-tier trim level.

Buy a new Korean made one. Hyundai or Kia.
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#338 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:14 pm

dbrodz7 wrote:
ackypoo wrote:
jute2003 wrote:The used market is bonkers

*used suv

This is exactly why I ended up getting a new car now. They want $2,500 (I am just outside of my warranty), and the part is back ordered with no expected arrival date. They told me it could be October. I tried working with Honda to see if they'd cover or help cover the repairs given all of the circumstances, and just got a total runaround. So I said **** it, new car. I can't not have AC in the summer in the South.

Good luck in your search.
Licensed to Il
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,728

Post#339 » by Licensed to Il » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:21 pm

I have never been a SUV guy, but I find myself with four kids, and living in the mountains, in a place with 10 months a year of snow.

Luckily I don’t have to drive much, my annual mileage is very low.

What is the best full size SUV?
jute2003
Lead Assistant

Post#340 » by jute2003 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:54 am

Licensed to Il wrote:I have never been a SUV guy, but I find myself with four kids, and living in the mountains, in a place with 10 months a year of snow.

Luckily I don’t have to drive much, my annual mileage is very low.

What is the best full size SUV?
Drive em and pick the one you like the best. I know the new expedition has been well received. I'm partial to the Nissan Armadas but that doesn't mean they're the best. I also really like Mazda CX-9s if you don't need super size truck based.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks