Potential sleepers

Draft talk all year round

Moderators: Marcus, Duke4life831

Ghost of Kleine
Master of Tweets
And1: 6,431

Re: Potential sleepers 

Post#1801 » by Ghost of Kleine » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:23 pm

Skin wrote:Cassius Stanley. Whatchu got against him?

I really like Stanley's potential. Mainly due to his obvious elite athleticism and speed.I guess my question would be, Where would you put his longterm upside at?

Do you guys see him as having potential to be a lockdown defender possibly? Or should he be considered nothing more than a rotation level scoring wing with plus athleticism? Perhaps a better shooting modern day Stacy Augmon? :dontknow:
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,801

Post#1802 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:33 pm

The-Power wrote:
Klomp wrote:To me, his draft profile shares a lot of similarities with Robert Covington's.

Covington's defensive tools have been great. Nwora has been a terrible defender with little effort.

DraftExpress questioned Covington's defense, though they did say he possessed the size and versatility.

"he lacks the lateral quickness to stay in front of quicker guards"
"he inexplicably struggles to close out on perimeter shooters"
"Covington is significantly less effective in the post, where he struggles to stay with bigger, stronger, and quicker players"
"he remains a mediocre rebounder"
"he spends a lot of his time on the perimeter on the defensive end, but nevertheless, rarely shows the discipline, focus, toughness and fundamentals displayed by elite rebounders"
"His lack of fundamentals on the defensive end...are legitimate red flags when projecting him at the next level."
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#1803 » by karkinos » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:05 pm

Skin wrote:Cassius Stanley. Whatchu got against him?

meeting high school expectations. i think if you draft him for 3 & D you'll be fine

i think stanley is in a tough spot between where people think he could/should be versus what he intrinsically may be good or even better at. when people see a young man like him with his athleticism in HS, they are really setting the expectations high, especially for his offensive game to grow. for people who saw him in HS, they weren't really thinking to themselves, wow, fun to watch 3&D guy.
coming out of HS i think people were expecting to see an evolution skill-wise so that he turns into an elite offensive player, which just isn't the case from what we've seen. anything less of those expectations has been somewhat of a disappointment for many.

however, on the half-glass full side, his elite athleticism with focus and intention could turn him into a top tier of 3 & D players. this does not maximize the flash that his athleticism offers, but essentially can guarantee him a solid career in the NBA (ie. austin rivers).
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#1804 » by Coeur » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:50 pm

Cassius Stanley is a top 10 player in this draft. If he lasts till and is selected by the Denver Nuggets it would be a perfect fit both ways
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#1805 » by Stillwater » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:23 pm

Coeur wrote:Cassius Stanley is a top 10 player in this draft. If he lasts till and is selected by the Denver Nuggets it would be a perfect fit both ways

Based on? I mean he is a better shooter from deep than given credit and his handles are ok but the only thing he has going for him is his explosive athleticism to cause him to get interest in the first round. He might because of it,and esp if he shows something else in workouts but that seems unlikely. I think there is enough of a bbiq issue that he easily goes mid 2nd without some reasonable justification beyond open court dunking.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
getrichordie
General Manager
And1: 2,308

Post#1806 » by getrichordie » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:46 pm

Coeur wrote:...

I can assure you that Cassius Stanley IS NOT a top 10 player in this draft.

Let's do a little exercise. What consensus top 10-ish prospects do you have as worse than Stanley?
[twitter] @thunderdustin
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#1807 » by getrichordie » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:29 pm

Jordan Ford is a name that should be popping up soon. Young senior (22.5 yrs old). 98th percentile ball-handler out of P&R. 95th percentile on OTD Js. Career ~42% 3-pt shooter. Decently quick.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#1808 » by Pinkyring » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:35 am

getrichordie wrote:Jordan Ford is a name that should be popping up soon. Young senior (22.5 yrs old). 98th percentile ball-handler out of P&R. 95th percentile on OTD Js. Career ~42% 3-pt shooter. Decently quick.

22.5 isnt a young senior considering you come in at 18
getrichordie
General Manager

Post#1809 » by getrichordie » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:16 am

Pinkyring wrote:
getrichordie wrote:Jordan Ford is a name that should be popping up soon. Young senior (22.5 yrs old). 98th percentile ball-handler out of P&R. 95th percentile on OTD Js. Career ~42% 3-pt shooter. Decently quick.

That's not true. A lot of guys don't go into HS at 18. Cole Anthony is already 20 after 1 freshman season. Cade Cunningham will be close to, if not, 20 by the time he's done with his freshman season. A lot of seniors are closer to 23/24 years old.
[twitter] @thunderdustin
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,801

Post#1810 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:38 am

Pinkyring wrote:

It's not drastic, but it is pretty far on the younger side of the class.

You may come in at 18 in August of your freshman year, but he's talking about what his age will be on draft night in October after his senior year.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#1811 » by Pinkyring » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:46 am

getrichordie wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:

That's not true. A lot of guys don't go into HS at 18. Cole Anthony is already 20 after 1 freshman season. Cade Cunningham will be close to, if not, 20 by the time he's done with his freshman season. A lot of seniors are closer to 23/24 years old.

Then he's an old freshman, yes most people start college at 18 so by senior yr you're turning 22. 22.5 isn't a young senior at all
EMG518
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#1812 » by EMG518 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:50 am

Payton Pritchard I think is being very underrated. I am not sure where Grant Riller is ranked but he is intriguing also.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1813 » by Ruzious » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:25 am

EMG518 wrote:Payton Pritchard I think is being very underrated. I am not sure where Grant Riller is ranked but he is intriguing also.

Who's going first - Riller or Bane?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
No-Man
RealGM
And1: 3,479

Post#1814 » by No-Man » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:46 am

My best 20 seniors are

Grant Riller

Desmond Bane

Killian Tillie
Tres Tinkle
Cassius Winston

Trevelin Queen
Markus Howard
Xavier Sneed
Skylar Mays
Trent Forrest
Kristian Doolittle
Payton Pritchard
Freddie Gillespie
Udoka Azubuike
Jarron Cumberland
Myles Powell
Sam Merrill
Braxton Key
Yoeli Childs
Dwayne Sutton

I would probably have 5-7 top60 If I were to guess, the top5 are top40 guys for me
EMG518
Veteran

Post#1815 » by EMG518 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:53 pm

Ruzious wrote:
EMG518 wrote:Payton Pritchard I think is being very underrated. I am not sure where Grant Riller is ranked but he is intriguing also.

I think Bane probably goes first. Riller will be almost 24 by start of next season and Bane has more of a defined roll he can fit in with any team easily and be low usage.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,199

Post#1816 » by EvanZ » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:19 pm

Ruzious wrote:

Riller will go close to Lottery.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
EMG518
Veteran

Post#1817 » by EMG518 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:51 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Anyone ever get drafted in the lottery that age or close to it? Just curious. He turned 23 in February. Having trouble finding it on my phone.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1818 » by Ruzious » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:51 pm

EvanZ wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

I'd be surprised - considering his age and so-so 3 point shot.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1819 » by Ruzious » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:59 pm

EMG518 wrote:
EvanZ wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Who's going first - Riller or Bane?

Anyone ever get drafted in the lottery that age or close to it? Just curious. He turned 23 in February. Having trouble finding it on my phone.

I remember a player that age who slipped quite a bit - Malcolm Brogdon - though apparently he would have been a late 1st if not for an injury concern.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,858

Post#1820 » by BlazersBroncos » Tue Jul 28, 2020 6:23 pm

I am very tepid on Riller. His handle is tremendous, but he plays below the rim and his jump shot is just plain ugly mechanically. I am not sure he can take that shot and extend it to 3PT range. His ability to finish through contact will help his below the rim game but I would be wary on taking him R1.

Return to NBA Draft