GAME DAY, BALA! SCRIMMAGE 3: SPURS VS. PACERS, 28-7-2020, 3PM (CT)

Moderator: G R E Y

G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs
And1: 32,687

GAME DAY, BALA! SCRIMMAGE 3: SPURS VS. PACERS, 28-7-2020, 3PM (CT) 

Post#1 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:48 pm

For our final scrimmage game, looking for the young guys to keep developing chemistry with three new starters. As a team we have to limit turnovers and fouls, and contest opponent 3s better. I like what Derrick, KJ, Lonnie, and Jakob have shown, and would like to see more from Metu, Luka, and DJ especially in terms of court vision and passing from the latter. It will have to be interior D by committee, and today's game will continue to test how we can do it while we learn to make the most of our burgeoning strengths.

WHERE: HP Field House Orlando, FL

WHEN: Tuesday, July 28, 2020, 3pm (CT)

Read on Twitter

GO SPURS GO!!!
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
Thinking of you, Pop :hug:
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Re: GAME DAY, BALA! SCRIMMAGE 3: SPURS VS. PACERS, 28-7-2020, 3PM (CT) 

Post#2 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:17 pm

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#3 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:35 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#4 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:35 pm

BRYN WITH 0 FIRST HALF MINUTES! :o 8-)
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#5 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:14 pm

BRYN WITH 0 GAME MINUTES! :clap:
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#6 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:15 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way
G R E Y
Senior Mod - Spurs
Senior Mod - Spurs

Post#7 » by G R E Y » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:52 pm

Well goodness, I can't help but gush a bit about our young guys. Very few minutes played together, and coming along well in such a short time. On Grandpa Juice Manu's 43rd birthday, the young guys brought their own brew.

It's been development for players and coaching staff. Each assistant coach lead one scrimmage game. Out of all the rotations that each of the assistant coaches used, I liked Will's today the best. Not just because of Bryn not playing any minutes (well, yeah that) but also because it was almost always a line-up that balanced defense, transition, passing, and scoring.

We moved the ball much better today, and though there were some one and done shots, a timeout curbed them. Our D was on the whole terrific with better rotations, competitive closeouts, and reading of plays so we reacted well as a group in different line-ups.

LOVE what the DJ-Derrick-Lonnie line-up has in terms of their growing together. DJ looks ok overall, especially good on D. His shot wasn't great today, something to keep cleaning up. I wonder if his form could use an tweak. Maybe a higher release point? Something. At times it's too flat, at times too live, sort of not consistent. Still, a stat stuffer with 12/8/6. Derrick was assertive and poised again, making smart drives and passes, and throwing his body all over the place on D. He might actually be the better overall player right now - complete game with 5 boards, 5 assists, 3 steals, 3 blocks, also took a charge - again. He needs to be more consistent on O, only going 3-14 today after a great O game, but I think that will come with more reps. Love his game. Lonnie has looked much better. His court vision in finding guys in tight spaces and the way he's passing is really impressive. Much better finishing at the rim, too. Just looks more calm and confident, sees the game better, and makes the right choices much of the time.

I love that Jakob always knows where to be. Smart smart player on both ends, even as his O game needs seasoning. We do need to incorporate him on O a bit more, but his 4-6 shooting with 6 rebounds, 2 steals and a block nicely sums up his overall contribution. He was solid in P&R coverage, and terrific in blocking out positioning, too.

Drew Eubanks takes no prisoners. Solid O contribution with 4-5 shooting and 5 boards, solid presence down low.

DD at the 4 is some experiment. The trade-off with Jakob and DD not shooting 3s is that DD is surrounded by four good defenders. He hasn't been getting to the line nearly as much, but we really didn't lose anything there, getting 19-21. Keldon was wonderful and physical all game, and he led us with 6-7FTs. DJ and Rudy were the other main FT contributors, so it was by committee. DD in this role of contributor but not main guy, helping others flourish but stepping in with a key bucket or three is, I think, a sweet spot for him. Not sure how readily he would accept such a role long-term, but quietly stepping up while playing within that niche is great for us right now.

Luka was aware on D and helped contest some shots as part of the Metu tandem. He can't buy a bucket right now and I think scoring his first pro points is weighing on him a bit. He isn't getting many minutes because his level of intensity is inconsistent. Lonnie was like this earlier, too, tended to disappear, or let missed plays get to him. But now he's flourishing, especially on D. I want Luka get that 'first' off his back. He does need to get out of his head a bit, and I think once he finally scores he'll play without overthinking and do much better.

The 3 shooting with Bryn not playing - that's right, not a single minute! - was something else we had to do by committee. And though we shot only 7-27, there's no guarantee that it would have been that much better given his recent percentages, and we were certainly more sound on D. It helped that we didn't face a team that shoots 40+ 3s a game, but besides Beli, the shot distribution was solid team wide from most other players we expect to shoot it.

We also had to guard in the paint by committee and I thought Jakob, Drew, Rudy in particular, then Metu late in the game did really well to contest shots. It helps that we have guards like Derrick and Q who have a knack for it as well. So far so good in terms guys stepping up to fill a big void. It's a chance for guys to show what they can do, but it's a way of bringing them together for the task at hand; everyone's contribution means that much more.

Rudy was important for us today, leading us with 23 points. Some nice passes, vet drives, and scoring in a variety of ways really helped us.

Keldon Johnson. Flat out baller. Never stops trying, has multiple ways of scoring, though driving like a bulldog seems to be his favourite. He feeds off of it, and the team feeds off of him. It's wonderful to have DJ-DW-LWIV starting and have a player like him come off the bench. He was a dogged defender, and a drove fearlessly. Much better shooting stroke, too. 21 points on 7-8, with 6-7 FTs and 1-1 from 3 with 3 boards and 3 assists is excellent production, this while being relentless on D. He sometimes gets caught on screens, and sometimes gets blocked, but he just keeps fighting and finds ways to contest, to get to the hoop, to energize us. What a draft pick. I'm trilled we have him.

Considering how short a time the young guys have played together, and that we're trying to fill the gaps with a missing starting front court, we are doing well coming together to maximize our strengths: 29 assists to only 12 turnovers, 8 steals, 8 blocks. We do need to find more ways of shooting the 3, but we contested it better today, too.

We likely would have put out the same starting line-ups had our starting front court been available. But while not having LMA and Trey puts us in a bind, it also has given us a chance to open up and experiment with different line-ups and see who steps up. It's been a nice surprise with different guys stepping up individually and coming together well. There's a different energy to us now. Scrimmage has been about seeing what we have and how we play together. Three new starters, many minutes for new players, many new line-ups, and although it isn't about wins, it was good to get one to reward our better play and to carry that energy over to the official re-start.
ImageImageImage

The Spurs Way

Return to San Antonio Spurs