Victor Oladipo to San Francisco

Moderators: Trader_Joe, loserX, Andre Roberstan, HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Texas Chuck, MoneyTalks41890, Mamba4Goat, pacers33granger

Who would win?

Warriors by a lot
29%
Warriors by a little
12%
Tie
12%
Pacers by a little
18%
Pacers by a lot
29%

Total votes: 17

DeathLineup
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,175

Victor Oladipo to San Francisco 

Post#1 » by DeathLineup » Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:55 pm

1st deal:
Andrew Wiggins, 2020 1st (or 2nd) overall pick and 2021 Wolves pick (top 3 protected) for Victor Oladipo and TJ Leaf

2nd deal:
TPE for Jeremy Lamb

Warriors acquire another star. This is a risky deal considering Oladipo's injury history and he might leave in 2021. Gamble on Lamb, hoping he can be worthy of his contract when he returns.

Pacers save some money and cash in on Oladipo. They trade the last year of their often injured star for a top 2 pick and a likely high pick in 2021. Bet on their great coaching/development staff to push Wiggins to be a star.

This is inspired by the ESPN article that stated Warriors are doing okay financially during this pandemic. While Pacers' owner is not.
#thevillain
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Re: Victor Oladipo to San Francisco 

Post#2 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:05 pm

I don't think you can get someone of Victor's caliber while offloading Wiggins, even in a contract year and for the #1 pick in a weak draft.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
HornetJail
RealGM
And1: 12,502

Post#3 » by HornetJail » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:11 pm

I would be hesitant to trade all that until we've seen a healthy Dipo, who is also due a massive contract soon. If any team has the luxury to take that risk, it's Golden State, but i'd explore other options first
formerly KEMBAtheMETEOR
TheBrooklynKidd
Head Coach
And1: 3,577

Post#4 » by TheBrooklynKidd » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:16 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:I don't think you can get someone of Victor's caliber while offloading Wiggins, even in a contract year and for the #1 pick in a weak draft.

I think you overrate Oladipo a lot based off of this and your other proposal.

So far Oladipo is a one year wonder. We need to see what he looks like post injury.

Honestly even if he was fully healthy and consistent he wouldnt be worth this much in a contract year.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,027

Post#5 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:20 pm

DeathLineup wrote:1st deal:
Andrew Wiggins, 2020 1st (or 2nd) overall pick and 2021 Wolves pick (top 3 protected) for Victor Oladipo and TJ Leaf

2nd deal:
TPE for Jeremy Lamb

Warriors acquire another star. This is a risky deal considering Oladipo's injury history and he might leave in 2021. Gamble on Lamb, hoping he can be worthy of his contract when he returns.

Pacers save some money and cash in on Oladipo. They trade the last year of their often injured star for a top 2 pick and a likely high pick in 2021. Bet on their great coaching/development staff to push Wiggins to be a star.

This is inspired by the ESPN article that stated Warriors are doing okay financially during this pandemic. While Pacers' owner is not.

This deal doesn't save the Pacers any money, though. It actually adds salary this year.
Oladipo - $21m
Lamb - $10.5m
Leaf - $4.3m
Total outgoing - $35.8m

Wiggins - $29.5m
#1 pick salary - $8.6m
Minimum salary player for 2nd rounder for Leaf's spot - $950k
Total incoming - over $39m

I appreciate you tried to make it a better type offer by offloading what could be identified as our "bad salary" in Lamb/Leaf, but the inclusion of Wiggins alone makes it a huge negative swap fiscally, no matter how you organize it. You'd really have to find a way to move Wiggins elsewhere for someone that is cheaper, and more usable for Indy.
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by DeathLineup » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:22 pm

TheBrooklynKidd wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:I don't think you can get someone of Victor's caliber while offloading Wiggins, even in a contract year and for the #1 pick in a weak draft.

I think you overrate Oladipo a lot based off of this and your other proposal.

So far Oladipo was a one year wonder. We need to see what he looks like post injury.

Honestly even if he was fully healthy and consistent he wouldnt be worth this much in a contract year.

True that BrooklynKidd.

Oladipo only has one great year back in 2018 during his whole career. Then he got injured very often. Let's not treat him like he is a franchise savior, a superstar.
#thevillain
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by DeathLineup » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:23 pm

Scoot McGroot wrote:
DeathLineup wrote:1st deal:

2nd deal:
TPE for Jeremy Lamb

This deal doesn't save the Pacers any money, though. It actually adds salary this year.
Oladipo - $21m
Lamb - $10.5m
Leaf - $4.3m
Total outgoing - $35.8m

Wiggins - $29.5m
#1 pick salary - $8.6m
Minimum salary player for 2nd rounder for Leaf's spot - $950k
Total incoming - over $39m

I appreciate you tried to make it a better type offer by offloading what could be identified as our "bad salary" in Lamb/Leaf, but the inclusion of Wiggins alone makes it a huge negative swap fiscally, no matter how you organize it. You'd really have to find a way to move Wiggins elsewhere for someone that is cheaper, and more usable for Indy.

My bad. I don't know that the first pick is going to make that much money.

Life's good as an NBA top prospect.
#thevillain
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Post#8 » by gswhoops » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:05 pm

Two thoughts:

(1) Indy won't take Wiggins in a Dipo deal, and don't seem likely to trade Dipo for picks regardless

(2) If GS can get around the Wiggins issue and make a deal for a "star," there are guys who make a lot more sense than Dipo
Richard4444
General Manager
And1: 5,913

Post#9 » by Richard4444 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:21 pm

I think both teams would rather saving money. I doubt GSW will use the TPE, they already owe like 160M. Indiana also wants to save money. Thus they will be far away of Wiggins.
BAF Brooklyn - Pre-Season NBA 2K Simulation 2023 Champions.

Brunson/Nembhard/Micic
Butler/IQ/Ben Sheppard
Strus/Watford/Nesmith
Boucher/Morris/Baldwin Jr
Embiid/Landale/Yurtseven
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by DeathLineup » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:52 pm

gswhoops wrote:(2) If GS can get around the Wiggins issue and make a deal for a "star," there are guys who make a lot more sense than Dipo

Name them.

Name those stars that are realistically available for Wiggins, 2020 top 2 pick and 2021 Wolves pick.
#thevillain
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,707

Post#11 » by gswhoops » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:02 pm

DeathLineup wrote:
gswhoops wrote:(2) If GS can get around the Wiggins issue and make a deal for a "star," there are guys who make a lot more sense than Dipo

Name them.

Name those stars that are realistically available for Wiggins, 2020 top 2 pick and 2021 Wolves pick.

Realistically? None. I don't think we can get around the Wiggins contract.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:11 pm

Richard4444 wrote:I think both teams would rather saving money. I doubt GSW will use the TPE, they already owe like 160M. Indiana also wants to save money. Thus they will be far away of Wiggins.

Curious, where's the reports of Indy wanting to save money? Windhorst made a simple remark on the SPG company, as well as basic year over year inflation of team salaries in his article. His remark of next year being the highest salary in team history is silly, since over the last 8 seasons, 6 have each been the highest salary in team history. :dontknow: However, the report on Indy having a standing max offer for Oladipo also has come out recently, too.

Would Indy like to stay under the luxury tax? Yeah, we all know that. Are they looking to cut costs year over year? We don't know that, and recent history shows that they're willing to pay up as the cap and as salaries rise. The other important thing is that he's diversified his investments over the last several decades from Simon Property Group. He sold shares over the years when prices were higher, and he recently bought $10m of shares in March when prices were 25% or so lower than now. Where's his exact wealth number? Who knows?
Mamba4Goat
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 7,932

Post#13 » by Mamba4Goat » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:35 pm

As others have said, if Indy is looking to save money, Wiggins isn’t a likely option.

Maybe...
Indy receives: 1st+either Snell or Batum
Detroit or Charlotte receive: Wiggins+other GS 1st
GS receives Dipo, Lamb, Leaf

But even then, Indy isn’t getting too much back.
Rest in peace Mamba. There'll never be another Kobe.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#14 » by NuggetsWY » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:11 pm

I am absolutely not a Wiggins fan. I'm not sure any team would find him to be a good fit. The Pacers need to decide if they believe Oladipo can lead them into a powerful team (with a few additions), then they should keep him. If not, they should seek a first and a future first even if they have to take on Wiggins. Call it "rebuild time".

Golden State needs to decide how much they believe in Oladipo -and- how much they are willing to pay. Trading Wiggins would be a plus IMO although with their coach/roster, he seems like he'll be less of a problem for them than most teams.

Tough call for either team in my opinion. An intriguing OP by Deathlineup.
rugbyrugger23
RealGM
And1: 1,336

Post#15 » by rugbyrugger23 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:45 pm

This has been brought up many times in different forms. I think every time the board figures out a 3rd team is needed.

Dipo isn’t ideal in San Fran.
Wiggins doesn’t help anything financial in Indiana.

Just not sure there is a third team that would value Dipo, take on Wiggins, and send GSW a better fitting player.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:52 pm

NuggetsWY wrote:I am absolutely not a Wiggins fan. I'm not sure any team would find him to be a good fit. The Pacers need to decide if they believe Oladipo can lead them into a powerful team (with a few additions), then they should keep him. If not, they should seek a first and a future first even if they have to take on Wiggins. Call it "rebuild time"..

I mean, every report out of Indy is that Simon/Pritchard are committed to him long term, and even that we’re willing to offer him the max. The reports that claim we may have questions are solely hypothetical, and generally writing about other teams that are really targeting him (the Begley/Leon Rose SNY article and many references to Pat Riley wanting him). We were a top 5 team in the East without him. We think that swapping him in for Jeremy Lamb is a huge upgrade. We also think that continued growth from Myles/Sabonis and incremental growth from Warren/Brogdon will make us a terribly tough team to beat on any given night.
NuggetsWY
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,056

Post#17 » by NuggetsWY » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:16 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:
NuggetsWY wrote:I am absolutely not a Wiggins fan. I'm not sure any team would find him to be a good fit. The Pacers need to decide if they believe Oladipo can lead them into a powerful team (with a few additions), then they should keep him. If not, they should seek a first and a future first even if they have to take on Wiggins. Call it "rebuild time"..

I mean, every report out of Indy is that Simon/Pritchard are committed to him long term, and even that we’re willing to offer him the max. The reports that claim we may have questions are solely hypothetical, and generally writing about other teams that are really targeting him (the Begley/Leon Rose SNY article and many references to Pat Riley wanting him). We were a top 5 team in the East without him. We think that swapping him in for Jeremy Lamb is a huge upgrade. We also think that continued growth from Myles/Sabonis and incremental growth from Warren/Brogdon will make us a terribly tough team to beat on any given night.

and that's why I didn't vote in the poll --- I needed a "I can't figure this one out" option :lol:
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by DeathLineup » Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:21 am

NuggetsWY wrote:I am absolutely not a Wiggins fan. I'm not sure any team would find him to be a good fit. The Pacers need to decide if they believe Oladipo can lead them into a powerful team (with a few additions), then they should keep him. If not, they should seek a first and a future first even if they have to take on Wiggins. Call it "rebuild time".

Golden State needs to decide how much they believe in Oladipo -and- how much they are willing to pay. Trading Wiggins would be a plus IMO although with their coach/roster, he seems like he'll be less of a problem for them than most teams.

Tough call for either team in my opinion. An intriguing OP by Deathlineup.

Thank you for the positive vibe NuggetsWY.

Major props as always.
#thevillain
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#19 » by Topofthekey » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:14 am

If the Pacers wanted to cut down on long term salary by dumping Oladipo, I have the best trade here:

Just don't re-sign him

This trade by the OP basically amounts to Pacers letting Oladipo walk, and then eating Wiggins' contract for two FRPs

Needless to say, it makes very little sense
DeathLineup
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by DeathLineup » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:25 am

Topofthekey wrote:If the Pacers wanted to cut down on long term salary by dumping Oladipo, I have the best trade here:

Just don't re-sign him

This trade by the OP basically amounts to Pacers letting Oladipo walk, and then eating Wiggins' contract for two FRPs

Needless to say, it makes very little sense

So it's better to not re-sign Oladipo, let him go for nothing than sell him for a top 5 pick and another high draft pick.

Interesting logic.
#thevillain

Return to Trades and Transactions